Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Shut up shut up shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Droo posted:

If everything with apple products "just works", why is it that everyone I know who owns them always bugs me to help them fix something for them? Also, why are there always 200 people at the apple store at all times waiting to get help with something?

Compared to androids they most definitely do.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Alright it's agreed that android phones are bad with money now let's move on to something entertaining.

e: Here's a package of $15k of space pixels for a game that will never exist. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/The-Completionist-Digital

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Oct 11, 2015

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Tracfone for life. ~$15/month. Only downside is you can't browse the internet while you poo poo.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Droo posted:

If everything with apple products "just works", why is it that everyone I know who owns them always bugs me to help them fix something for them? Also, why are there always 200 people at the apple store at all times waiting to get help with something?

Wow man, you really pulled back the curtain. I bet with your razor-sharp intellect you could even figure out what the deal is with airline food.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Renegret posted:

oh god here we go

iphone chat

lock the thread before it's too late

sorry cassandra :|

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
for your next derail can you guys fight about something more interesting tia

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
How about how high rent is in San Francisco and how everyone should move to Iowa?

(BWM my ex who moved back to Iowa and now lives in poverty in a basement apartment there instead because he makes a quarter of what he used to)

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

BWM: kids.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

GWM: taxpayer-funded vasectomy

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
Be a foster parent! They pay you to have children (not enough and no tax benefits but they also get free health care so...?)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

After college I did a dual degree program, earning my JD and a Master of Urban Planning degree. When I was part way through I met Mary, who was beginning the same program. Mary eventually dropped out of one program, then the other (I think she was a semester away from getting the law degree). This was a few years ago now. Every so often she'll post something on facebook about how she's making another grand change in her life. What is it this time, Mary?

Mary's GoFundMe page posted:

As the saying goes, life happens while you’re busy making other plans. I’ve always been one for planning, but after all my years of dreaming and scheming, at the age of 31 I have nothing to show for any of it but doubt, debt, and disappointment.

Maybe it’s a fear of commitment, a fear of failure, or a fear of losing my safety net. Whatever it is, there’s a reason most of my plans have never succeeded: I’ve always been too scared to act. Instead, I have kept letting things happen and kept taking the path of least resistance.

In the weeks leading up to my move to Oregon, I repeatedly caught myself talking about the change, both to myself and others, as though I needed to convince someone that it was the right choice. It’s not easy to make such a big change, to leave a potentially great career, a stable job, a comfortable home. It needed to be done, because I was not happy and would have remained unhappy had I stayed, but that made it no less terrifying.

A few years ago I was sitting in the office of a small-town, Illinois, municipal and real estate law firm. I had just been offered a summer assistantship which would likely lead to a job after I graduated with my JD. I was looking out the window, admiring the tiny but scenic town, and thinking of my boyfriend, of what could be our future. And my palms were clammy. Not because I was nervous, but because I was terrified. This was not the life I wanted. I did not want to live in small-town Illinois, working in an office pushing papers for the rest of my life. I did not want to marry my boyfriend, and I certainly did not want to be the step-mother to his two young children whom I had yet to meet.

I left law school shortly after receiving–and eventually declining–the offer. I did not want to be a lawyer. I wanted to do something else; I didn’t know quite what that something was, but I knew I would figure it out eventually. I moved back home with my dad for about a month before taking a job with an old friend in California. Not a career, just something to do while I figured out my life. That fall I attended a local video game convention and met my latest boyfriend, who eventually helped me get a job in QA for a major game company. I’ve spent the last year playing video games, thinking that it could be a fun career, but all the while sinking deeper and deeper into despair, knowing my life was not going the way I’d hoped, and that I still hadn’t figured it out.

Finally, a few months ago, I stumbled across what could be my saving grace: Germany. School in Germany, to be precise. In case you aren’t aware, the public universities in Germany are tuition-free for everyone, including foreigners. For years I’ve dreamed of being an astrophysicist, but knew that doing so was virtually impossible with the cost of education in the US being what it is. I already have a Bachelor of Arts (a pretty useless one, at that, unless you’re planning to be a lawyer) and piles of debt, so going back to school for a proper education in Physics seemed out of the question, and I had resigned myself to the fact that I had to do something else. Well, now I don’t. I can start over, go back to school, and do what I really want to do.

After a whole lot of soul searching, I decided to act on it. I quit my video game job. I moved in with my mom in Oregon and found something here that will allow me to save enough to get to Germany in about a year.

I’m back to my planning and dreaming, and this time, I’m ready to act, even if it is scary sometimes.

------

So why the GoFundMe page?

As I mentioned above, I should be able to save enough to get to Germany in a year. But the key word there is should. If anything goes wrong, if the exchange rate changes drastically, if something ends up costing more than expected, I don't have any wiggle room. I'd also really like to travel a bit before settling in for school. So I hope to save or raise enough above my minimum as possible. While I should be fine on my own, any extra help you can offer will go a long way to helping me realize my dreams!

Thank you!

She's asking for $10,000 :suicide:

Update on Mary's GoFundMe:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I love how she dances around the fact that she doesn't have a law degree in a way that is supposed to impress upon the reader that she totally has a law degree.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

She probably donated to herself.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

pig slut lisa posted:

She's asking for $10,000 :suicide:

Did her mom leave a comment?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Just how busy are you Apple "powerusers" (lol) that you honestly believe you're saving precious time by using the OS that just works*? I get preferring the devices for their software or the brand loyalty or whatever, Apple makes slick devices that people like and that's cool. But you have to have your head pretty loving far up your rear end (or you are a literal grandma who can't gather two brain cells to figure out different OS interfaces) if you honestly think that you're saving all sorts of time compared to plebs using android phones. High end smartphones are pretty even these days and it really does come down to a personal preference or investment. Even budget android phones can carry the average person well enough, though like with anything budget-minded, you definitely want to stay away from certain models and do your research.

To stay on topic, owning a top of the line smartphone just to check FB and make calls is very bad with money, especially as it's the primary method used to sucker idiots who currently can't afford luxury electronics into lengthy cellphone contracts, though I suspect nearly everyone in this thread agrees. Before anyone asks, I have a Note 4 and a stupid contract with verizon that is absolutely not worth the money. Like an idiot, I really wanted the "cool new version of my phone" and renewed my overpriced plan (which I was fully intending to get rid of) just so that I could browse the web and occasionally answer a text or two on my HIGH END DEVICE. I don't even use the s-pen at all, ffs. It is worth nothing that browsing in general is pretty slick, but this is by no means exclusive to top-tier phones.

*OS does not in fact, just work and breaks regularly enough. So does Android.

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 12, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Buying more features than you need is a proud tradition in consumer electronics (and probably goes back even further than that)

I work with a guy who used to sell VCRs back when they were expensive. In the store he worked in, there were 3 tiers of VCRs. The entry level, the mid-range (with added features like scheduled recording), and top range (dual deck, knob to advance frame by frame, etc.)

If you talk up the features in the midrange model, people realize that they don't really need them and buy the cheaper one. He would completely ignore the midrange model when he sold to customers, and instead just talked about the entry level model ($400) and the top end model ($1200). By doing so, he sold a lot of the midrange model ($700) even though people didn't need the added features compared to the entry level model. Nobody was ever going to use that finicky calendar show recording scheduling system (remember how hard it was to even change the clock on those things?). After seeing how great the top end model was, they could talk themselves halfway up to the top end model.

Part of that is that when presented things at 3 price points, people will often choose the one in the middle.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I realize this is nothing more than BFC's chat thread but holy poo poo shut the gently caress up about Apple vs. Android.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

canyoneer posted:

Buying more features than you need is a proud tradition in consumer electronics (and probably goes back even further than that)

I work with a guy who used to sell VCRs back when they were expensive. In the store he worked in, there were 3 tiers of VCRs. The entry level, the mid-range (with added features like scheduled recording), and top range (dual deck, knob to advance frame by frame, etc.)

If you talk up the features in the midrange model, people realize that they don't really need them and buy the cheaper one. He would completely ignore the midrange model when he sold to customers, and instead just talked about the entry level model ($400) and the top end model ($1200). By doing so, he sold a lot of the midrange model ($700) even though people didn't need the added features compared to the entry level model. Nobody was ever going to use that finicky calendar show recording scheduling system (remember how hard it was to even change the clock on those things?). After seeing how great the top end model was, they could talk themselves halfway up to the top end model.

Part of that is that when presented things at 3 price points, people will often choose the one in the middle.

This is a tried and true sales tactic that works really well.

I did something similar a lot when I worked at Best Buy. Find out the customers budget, show them a high range computer in that budget, then downsell them to a cheaper laptop on the basis that they don't need a top of the line machine if all they're doing is watching netflix, updating facebook, and having their daughter write essays for homework.

That's when you start piling on add on poo poo because you've now freed up space in their budget. You know, the stuff that Best Buy actually makes money off of, since margins on electronics are non existent.

God drat I felt so dirty working at that place sometimes.

I'm also going to go against popular opinion and say the Best Buy warranties weren't always bad with money. Those warranties could pay for themselves if you knew how to game the system, or if you're an irresponsible parent with a rowdy kid who tends to knock things off of tables. On a laptop, a single LCD repair tended to pay for itself.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Getting the extended on very expensive headphones is pretty good with money, in my opinion. I swear I treat my nice pairs with the respect and dignity they deserve, and somehow they still gently caress up way faster than they should. I'm starting to think that headphones are simply flawed from an engineering point of view.

So far it's been a matter of popping in with my receipt and walking out with a brand new pair, just like that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Good with money is working a job like that at some point in your life so you can understand all the tactics and the general strategy of sales, so as to be an informed consumer.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah I learned a lot about sales tactics in a high school psych class of all places. Is been super useful and it's not something I learned anywhere else.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

KingSlime posted:

Getting the extended on very expensive headphones is pretty good with money, in my opinion. I swear I treat my nice pairs with the respect and dignity they deserve, and somehow they still gently caress up way faster than they should. I'm starting to think that headphones are simply flawed from an engineering point of view.

So far it's been a matter of popping in with my receipt and walking out with a brand new pair, just like that.

Oh yeah, headphone warranties were a loving steal. The official policy is that they'll try to fix it. If they can't fix it you get a new one valued at the original price of what you purchased. But who the gently caress repairs headphones anymore? So you just buy a new pair of earphones and wreck em every 3 years or when you want something new. All you have to pay for is the new warranty if it's been over 1 year.

I got fantastic value over my lovely Sony E-Reader with discontinued support as well. Got a 3 year accidental damage warranty with it with the intent of hitting it with a hammer at the end of the coverage and trading up. What ended up happening was that I accidentally sat on it after 2 years and 6 months and got credit for the original price I paid towards a new Kindle. Difference was about 30 bucks if I remember correctly.

What actually happened is that I forgot I had the warranty, immediately bought the a kindle on Amazon, then when I remembered the warranty it was too late to cancel my Amazon order. So then I sweet talked my old boss into giving me a gift card instead and put that towards a Wii U that I was going to buy anyway. Technically the money works out the same :shobon:

Renegret fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 12, 2015

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
GWM is taking advantage of purchase protection policies on your credit cards for electronics that break within the warranty period.

I've recently been guilty of buying a lot of groceries that we end up throwing away anyway. We live down the street from a small market that has slightly higher prices than Safeway. We're making it a habit to buy the groceries we need for the next 2 days and not buying 1-2 weeks in advance.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

https://reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/3o3crp/woke_up_with_over_4000_worth_of_charges_from_a/? posted:

Woke up with over £4000 worth of charges from a strip club. (self.legaladvice)
submitted 3 days ago * by Technical_Glitch

As you can guess from the title I have well and truly hosed up, and I know this is mostly(all) my fault, however I would appreciate a little help.

I would like to create a dispute against the strip club regarding these charges as i feel i have been grossly exploited.

I was extremely intoxicated when entering the strip club (i had already been asked to leave the last club/pub for being too drunk). I entered the strip club at 3:10am(have a receipt for my entry fee) and the last receipt is at 04:20am. I know for a fact there is no way I could have spent £4000 in a strip club in an hour, my only memory of the night is right before I left I was at the bar and none of my cards were going through for a transaction, they told me i could not leave until the transaction was made and so i ended up putting the amount on my company credit card, which in the morning i checked my receipts and found over £1600 has been charged to this company credit card!!!!!

I know i shouldn't have entered the club in such a drunken state and that i'm completely to blame but do i have any chances here of having at least some of this money refunded?

Any help appreciated.

P.S I have called my bank and the supplier of my company card and put in a dispute against all the charges, hoping the club can't actually justify the charges and I win the dispute.

Edit: I am from the United Kingdom

Update: I have started a dispute will all of the transactions except one for £330. I've come to accept what's done is done, if I don't get any money back at least I will have definitely learnt my lesson.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

On his company card?

:vince:

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

quote:

Update: I have started a dispute will all of the transactions except one for £330. I've come to accept what's done is done, if I don't get any money back at least I will have definitely learnt my lesson.
This bit is great. I'm disputing everything but I've accepted what I've done. SURRREEEEEE.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Dude's best bet is to just report the cards stolen... especially the company card. It's fraud, but his chances are better .

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Phones are BWM, just sign up for google voice and use the library computer to check voicemails/text. It was all of about 20 years ago when nobody had cell phones and frankly the world was better without it.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Thesaurus posted:

Dude's best bet is to just report the cards stolen... especially the company card. It's fraud, but his chances are better .

The reason consumers aren't liable for purchases made with a stolen card is because merchants are. When his bank goes and takes $4k away from the strip club because the card was reported stolen, they'll have a pretty good incentive to go looking through their records and do what they can to prove it was really him using it. Then he'll be out the money, possibly going to jail, and put on the banks' shitlist which is a place you don't want to be if you like being eligible for bank accounts and loans.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

WEDDINGS

Postpone student loans... Check

Spend Emergency fund... Check

Spend downpayment... Check

Drain retirement accounts... Check

Book venue without consulting SO... Check

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Saros posted:

WEDDINGS

"What if I told you her current lease is a bmw. Not an SUV though."

"Well, technically I am leasing a bmw. The cars are solely in my name, for some reason we thought it was a good idea for the cars to be solely in my name. She drives the bmw though. In case anyone was wondering, I drive a leased equinox."

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Saros posted:

WEDDINGS

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Dude needs to spend less time gaming and more time talking.

I don't really understand couples where one person does all the planning. It's a giant expensive party for a couple, not a person.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

Dude needs to spend less time gaming and more time talking.

I don't really understand couples where one person does all the planning. It's a giant expensive party for a couple, not a person.

Serious reply as somebody who's doing this whole wedding planning thing right now: yes. It sounds like he wrote it to cover his rear end: "Oh, I TRIED to talk with her about it (one time) but SHE WOULDN'T LET ME!! (so I gave up) And is now evil and I'm completely absolved of any responsibility!!"

The good news is that it sounds like she hasn't actually SPENT all the money, just planned to (and refuses to budge). It's bad, but it's not catastrophic.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
My read was that she legit put cash on the nail for the venue deposit.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

overdesigned posted:

Serious reply as somebody who's doing this whole wedding planning thing right now: yes. It sounds like he wrote it to cover his rear end: "Oh, I TRIED to talk with her about it (one time) but SHE WOULDN'T LET ME!! (so I gave up) And is now evil and I'm completely absolved of any responsibility!!"

The good news is that it sounds like she hasn't actually SPENT all the money, just planned to (and refuses to budge). It's bad, but it's not catastrophic.

I think also possible that she's really not involving him like he claims though. They're not very deep in the process yet and she's sounds like a pretty typical bridezilla who wants to be in control of the whole process.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's how I read it too, and it seems like they've only been planning for a few days now which is far too early to actually book a venue I would guess. Which is why I say Bridezilla.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

She put cash down for the venue, yeah, but as I understand it she didn't actually spend all the retirement accounts, savings, E-fund, etc. Venue deposits are probably $500-$2k depending on the craziness of the place. BWM, but not "spent every penny we have saved without telling me" bad.

Renegret posted:

I think also possible that she's really not involving him like he claims though. They're not very deep in the process yet and she's sounds like a pretty typical bridezilla who wants to be in control of the whole process.

There's probably some of both (and I would wager it's mostly the Bridezilla scenario). But when you're writing a Reddit post about your life the tendency is probably to make yourself sound a little better than you are in real life.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Renegret posted:

I'm also going to go against popular opinion and say the Best Buy warranties weren't always bad with money. Those warranties could pay for themselves if you knew how to game the system, or if you're an irresponsible parent with a rowdy kid who tends to knock things off of tables. On a laptop, a single LCD repair tended to pay for itself.

What the heck does that mean?

Renegret posted:

I got fantastic value over my lovely Sony E-Reader with discontinued support as well. Got a 3 year accidental damage warranty with it with the intent of hitting it with a hammerat the end of the coverage and trading up. What ended up happening was that I accidentally sat on it after 2 years and 6 months and got credit for the original price I paid towards a new Kindle. Difference was about 30 bucks if I remember correctly.

Oh, fraud. Carry on then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone ever met a couple that looked back at their wedding and thought to themselves, "yeah, we should've spent more." It's one of those odd events that seem so important in the run-up and so incredibly unimportant the day after.

• Locked thread