Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Okay that's p good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Fuuuuuuuck.

bumble
Oct 15, 2012

R U HOT YET?
What's VT stand for? Why, VITA, of course!

You want some VITA, don't you?

Don't worry, I'll share some with you!

Down here, VITA is shared through...

Little white... "legacy platforms."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm told there's still 7 hours left in DR so despite hour-long videos, there's another 6-7 parts left.

I don't remember the numbered games being this long, or were they?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's shorter, but not by much. There are definitely still 6-7 videos and after the latest episode I will stop watching again until more Woolie meltdowns happen, because the suicide conversation was incredibly awkward and hard to listen to.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
The latest Shitstorm vid (Obscure 2) is some good poo poo. I love it when Matt and Pat are grumpy old men and talk poo poo about The Youth.

Because I increasingly identify with this viewpoint as my own clock continues to tick down. :smith:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I saw the Game Grumps were doing an Undertale thing too, so I clicked a video and I might have to watch their playthrough of it. Giving Papyrus Skeletor/The Monarch's voice, and Sans a perfectly laid-back voice when they read their dialogue is absolutely perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BhCc0yBMqo

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 12, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Baal posted:

It's shorter, but not by much. There are definitely still 6-7 videos and after the latest episode I will stop watching again until more Woolie meltdowns happen, because the suicide conversation was incredibly awkward and hard to listen to.
They get lost for about 20 minutes on a puzzle(the one with the letters and chests). It's gonna take a while.
Also it's weird but even in other blind playthroughs I've never seen people not get As/gently caress up puzzle rooms.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Captain Invictus posted:

I saw the Game Grumps were doing an Undertale thing too, so I clicked a video and I might have to watch their playthrough of it. Giving Papyrus Skeletor/The Monarch's voice, and Sans a perfectly laid-back voice when they read their dialogue is absolutely perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BhCc0yBMqo

Game Grumps is like one of the few LPers that I can stand them voice acting lines because half their cast do professional voice work so it usually comes out okay.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
to pats question; is he out of touch?

well, hall and oates might be able to help him figure out that. here's a vaporwave remix of it set to a fast-forwarded speed run of yoshi's island to help him on the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nQ64TGU2Qo

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Well I just got the first ending to Undertale ...holy poo poo that last boss.

Now to go for the True ending.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Lol Pat said on twitter that he thinks the games overrated (read: He thinks it's fun but people are over reacting to how good it is) and people are apparently flipping out despite Toby himself saying that the game doesn't deserve the crazy amount of praise it's getting.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I don't even understand what this means

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Does pat not realize how random demon negotiation in SMT actually is

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also does he realize that those two mechanics are basically nothing alike and do two entirely different things and have nothing in common except "You talk to an enemy."

Hell, Demon Negotiation doesn't even work the same from game to game.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Ruggington posted:

Does pat not realize how random demon negotiation in SMT actually is

Would that really surprise you?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
can't wait for the forty minute hot takedown from pat on the podcast where he compares it to this almost entirely unrelated thing and acts like he's the cleverest man alive when no one else gets it

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 12, 2015

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

except that even toby said he drew inspiration from smt demon negotiations...

i don't get it, do you feel that the comparison somehow damages the reputation of undertale? its an apt comparison, sure the randomness is gone from the undertale talk options, but the first time you do it it can seem pretty random.

the only thing you could improve in his analogy is maybe, 'its like the demon negotiation system, but you can only use it to get money from mobs'

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Lol Pat said on twitter that he thinks the games overrated (read: He thinks it's fun but people are over reacting to how good it is) and people are apparently flipping out despite Toby himself saying that the game doesn't deserve the crazy amount of praise it's getting.

the flipping is coming from inside the thread

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's nothing wrong with the comparison except how demon negotiation doesn't work at all like Undertale's talking

one is a completely random chance and the other is a puzzle

it's like saying rolling dice and a crossword are the exact same thing

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
I'm not sure why he thinks the "main scenario" was boring, I guess he didn't like the characters? Maybe he missed the point of the game and thought it was a real proper rpg thing.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

hubris.height posted:

except that even toby said he drew inspiration from smt demon negotiations...

i don't get it, do you feel that the comparison somehow damages the reputation of undertale? its an apt comparison, sure the randomness is gone from the undertale talk options, but the first time you do it it can seem pretty random.

the only thing you could improve in his analogy is maybe, 'its like the demon negotiation system, but you can only use it to get money from mobs'

Nah it's just not really a good analogy. Like I can see where the inspiration comes from but the implantation of the systems are completely opposite of one another. Like SMT's demon negotiation is all about getting Resources. It's about getting demon's to use, to fight, money to buy upgraded weapons and repurchase demons from the compendium. It's all about getting more power. It doesn't really flesh out the settings or the demon's themselves since the demon responses are usually based on Race and the bosses (almost?) never have anything to do with the negotiations system.

Undertale however uses it as a means of non-violent confrontation, to eschew both power and combat to get to know the individual monsters/species of monster you're fight and since all those fights end up being NPCs or have unique encounters based on location or environmental stuff (Spooking aaron with the ghost music for example) it's entirely about fleshing out those characters and the world of the Underground.

Like I said in practice and purpose the only real thing they have in common is that you talk to enemies.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I don't have a problem with Pat not liking the game as much as other people. He's a grown(ish) man and can like or dislike anything he wants.

I just think it's funny that A. he's making the exact same flawed analogy he would flip out on anyone else for making and B. is doing the thing again where he watches or plays something the rest of the group likes only to go on talking about how its overrated because he only talks to like six people

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 12, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

despite Toby himself saying that the game doesn't deserve the crazy amount of praise it's getting.

Toby is wrong. I know that he's the creator and it's his say and all but Undertale is a truly fantastic game and it definitely deserves the praise and attention it's gotten because it manages to do a whole lot with a little, expands greatly in many different directions on its premise, and has a well-written story and sense of humor that appeal to all kinds of different audiences. Those three things in congruity are something you don't see very often in video games, a lot of the time it's a pick-two situation. He caught lightning in a bottle. Downplaying it as "oh it's not such a big deal" is him being humble, but his humility doesn't mean people are wrong for thinking very highly of it.

Said people still shouldn't flip out on Pat for not buying into the hype because there will always be that guy that's somewhere in the middle of hyped and not hyped and for Undertale that's him.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 12, 2015

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
If people said the game was lovely then he'd probably play it out of spite and really like it, reverse pat psychology

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CJacobs posted:

Toby is wrong. I know that he's the creator and it's his say and all but Undertale is a truly fantastic game and it definitely deserves the praise and attention it's gotten because it manages to do a whole lot with a little, expands greatly in many different directions on its premise, and has a well-written story and sense of humor that appeal to all kinds of different audiences. Those three things in congruity are something you don't see very often in video games, a lot of the time it's a pick-two situation. He caught lightning in a bottle. Downplaying it as "oh it's not such a big deal" is him being humble, but his humility doesn't mean people are wrong for thinking very highly of it.

Said people still shouldn't flip out on Pat for not buying into the hype because there will always be that guy that's somewhere in the middle of hyped and not hyped and for Undertale that's him.

Oh I'm not saying it doesn't deserve praise, before release I was crazy worried that it would fly under the radar (to the point I tried getting word out about it in uh, various ways) but calling it literally "the best PC game of all time" seems a bit much.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
it totally is, especially with skifree is right there ready to download for anyone

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"the best PC game of all time"

Nobody is actually saying this. It's only come up because Metacritic is a stupid website.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yeah Undertale isn't the 'greatest' of all time, but it's an amazing package that stands out so much from other indie games. It's a that rare game that gets absolutely everything right in terms of it's story, characters, gameplay, etc. and absolutely NAILS its landing in a really tight package, it absolutely deserves all the praise its getting.

Pat's just being Pat.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ruggington gave me Undertale and now I'm super obsessed with it and even bough the soundtrack for it. It's super good, but when I come down from it, it's gonna be a fantastic game, but not GOAT or anything like that. It's a wonderful little game with shittons of charm, great music, a fun combat system, and cool splitting routes, but it has its problems too.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As it is with all games

except chrono trigger a game I cannot think of a single problem I have with

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have not played chrono trigger

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yo baal

you should play chrono trigger

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

except chrono trigger a game I cannot think of a single problem I have with

let's not get hasty here

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ruggington posted:

let's not get hasty here

oh I'm sure it does I just can't think of one

I like pretty much everything about that game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blockhouse posted:

yo baal

you should play chrono trigger

Hmmmm, maybe

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I also feel like Chrono Trigger is one of the underrated great SBFP LPs

They play through an entire big-rear end JRPG and neither Matt nor Pat ever stop engaging with the game or being funny. That alone is a big accomplishment.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

CT is the best game on the SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

(to the point I tried getting word out about it in uh, various ways)
This sounds weird and creepy!