Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
My department is being reorganised into a structure which would be conveniently easy to sell off... Slightly worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Don't worry it's not like they'd privatise something that they were forced to renationalise before, that'd just be pure ideology rather than evidence driven

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Can we all chip in to buy Bozza's shop steward a pint, or something?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Thoughts on Gideon promoting contracts for HS2 in China? Are we unable to build it ourselves?

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
If you want to read something really funny, read this and then the comments: http://www.conservativehome.com/pla...-third-way.html

Yes yes the problem is it's not privatised enough, see.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Metrication posted:

Thoughts on Gideon promoting contracts for HS2 in China? Are we unable to build it ourselves?

I think China's safety record speaks for itself.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Lord of the Llamas posted:

I think China's safety record speaks for itself.

China's (high speed) railway safety record is pretty good, though? Besides the crash in Wenzhou, and a collapsing viaduct, I don't recall any serious problems since they started laying down massive amounts of track in 2003.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

It's off, it's on, it's off, it's on again! http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/30/northern-rail-upgrades-to-be-unpaused-government-to-announce

quote:

Two promised rail upgrades in northern England and the Midlands that were shelved by the government in June, breaking election pledges, are to be restarted, it has been announced.

The electrification of the transpennine line and Midland mainline, which had been described as vital elements of a £38bn upgrade to the rail network for the north, were cancelled from Network Rail’s five-year plan in June.

The transport secretary, Patrick McLoughlin, blamed Network Rail, but it became apparent that his department had been warned a year before the election that the works were in doubt.

The shelving of the schemes was an embarrassment for the chancellor, George Osborne, in particular, who had promised major transport enhancements as part of a new “northern powerhouse”.

The “unpausing” – with a revised timetable and specification to be announced in Leeds on Wednesday – is carefully timed ahead of the Conservative conference in Manchester next week.

McLoughlin said: “As a one nation government we are making sure every part of Britain benefits from a growing economy. Connecting up the great cities of the north is at the heart of our plan to build a northern powerhouse. This government will see the job through and build a better, faster and more reliable railway for passengers in the north and Midlands.”

Only a small part of the Midland mainline electrification – as far north as Corby - will be completed this decade, in the scope of Network Rail’s existing five-year plan. The full electrification of the line will take until 2023. Transpennine electrification is scheduled to finish in 2022, allowing six trains an hour and cutting journey times by 15 minutes.

Also included in the story is a picture of Patrick McLoughlin with the new modern rolling stock being made available for the Northern network:

odds on it being cancelled again after the Tory conference next month?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

It's off, it's on, it's off, it's on again! http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/sep/30/northern-rail-upgrades-to-be-unpaused-government-to-announce

Also included in the story is a picture of Patrick McLoughlin with the new modern rolling stock being made available for the Northern network:

100%

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Good god what a punchable face. Even by Tory standards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is he standing on the line?

Because I'm just saying one express service in the other direction could improve the world a little bit.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

This definitely has nothing to do with Corbyn's announcement that he wants to re-nationalise the railways

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Good old times on Southern last night:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did the rear carriage detach in transit :psyduck:

brakanjan
May 26, 2014
Would have been a money shot had someone been standing in the doorway.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

We are sorry to announce that the rear carriage of the 15:30 Southern service to London Victoria will now arrive at 21:20. This is due to the failure of privatisation in the British Railway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

mrpwase posted:

We are sorry to announce that the rear carriage of the 15:30 Southern service to London Victoria will now arrive at 21:20. This is due to the failure of privatisation in the British Railway.

On the plus side, all carriages forward of the rear carriage, will now arrive at 15:20, which in terms of passenger minutes may constitute an improvement if the rear carriage was underoccupied.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

OwlFancier posted:

On the plus side, all carriages forward of the rear carriage, will now arrive at 15:20, which averages out the journey more or less.

What percentage of carriages have to reach the station for a train to be on time in the official statistics? I mean if skipping entire towns is allowed to improve punctuality figures, logically the next step is to jettison carriages....

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Looking forward to the repartitioning of the trains into "First" "Standard" and "Ballast" classes.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Phone posting so i can't be bothered making a long post, but look up the way the London and Blackwall Railway operated originally...

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Yeah, AFAIK many railways used to detach carriages from the ends of trains for passengers stopping at minor destinations. The guard would use the brake to stop the carriage at the station, and the carriage would be shunted and/or collected on the return journey.

But DMUs aren't designed to do that! :downs:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Whenever I get on the train from Northampton to Birmingham they tell you to get on the front carriages because the rear ones are going somewhere else. I don't know where they're going or what happens to the people on them but I assume it's bad.

e: Maybe even worse than having to go to Birmingham.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah my usual train back from Leeds dumps half the train at Newcastle and then only the front carriages continue up to Scotland. It makes sense if you have a route that has a significantly lower demand after a certain point.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
When I used to travel from Aberystwyth back to London, the first train in the morning would go to Ely via Cambridge. Or at least part of the train would.
You'd be told at Aberystwyth which coaches to sit in to get to Ely - the rear 4 coaches, iirc. And then the train would get to Shrewsbury and reverse direction and suddenly it would be the front 4 coaches you needed to be sitting in.
Which was pretty loving confusing the first time I experienced that, hungover and dead tired, at about 7am.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mrpwase posted:

Yeah, AFAIK many railways used to detach carriages from the ends of trains for passengers stopping at minor destinations. The guard would use the brake to stop the carriage at the station, and the carriage would be shunted and/or collected on the return journey.

But DMUs aren't designed to do that! :downs:

The L&BR took that another step - the entire train disassembled, one carriage for each station along the entire line. It was cable-hauled and the idea was it was easier to do that than to stop the rope at each station, and allowed a much faster service on the outbound leg.

Brilliantly the original idea was that the train would reassemble the same way on the inbound journey which would have taken nerves of loving steel for the brakeman on each carriage. Boringly they decided the inbound leg would be done with all the carriages setting off at the same time (so they all accelerated smoothly instead of trying to go from 0-30 in zero seconds) and reassembling at Minories though.

I'm sure I remember reading about a proposed HST system somewhere where the train would never stop and people would board and leave from another train "docking" with the main one, which is awesome as gently caress in concept but just the dumbest possible idea in practice.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

kingturnip posted:

When I used to travel from Aberystwyth back to London, the first train in the morning would go to Ely via Cambridge. Or at least part of the train would.
You'd be told at Aberystwyth which coaches to sit in to get to Ely - the rear 4 coaches, iirc. And then the train would get to Shrewsbury and reverse direction and suddenly it would be the front 4 coaches you needed to be sitting in.
Which was pretty loving confusing the first time I experienced that, hungover and dead tired, at about 7am.

When I used to do the reverse of that journey, from Birmingham to Aberystwyth, the train would split at Machynlleth with two carriages going onto Aberystwyth and the other two carriages going up the coast to Pwllheli.

If you missed the announcement of which carriage was going which way (as it was never the same each journey), you had one chance to change at the next junction from Machynlleth, at Dovey Junction.

If you made the wrong choice, and the other train had gone ahead, it was a minimum two hour wait at Dovey Junction for the next train. Dovey Junction is just a platform and a shelter.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm sure I remember reading about a proposed HST system somewhere where the train would never stop and people would board and leave from another train "docking" with the main one, which is awesome as gently caress in concept but just the dumbest possible idea in practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Ig19gYP9o

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The L&BR took that another step - the entire train disassembled, one carriage for each station along the entire line. It was cable-hauled and the idea was it was easier to do that than to stop the rope at each station, and allowed a much faster service on the outbound leg.

Brilliantly the original idea was that the train would reassemble the same way on the inbound journey which would have taken nerves of loving steel for the brakeman on each carriage. Boringly they decided the inbound leg would be done with all the carriages setting off at the same time (so they all accelerated smoothly instead of trying to go from 0-30 in zero seconds) and reassembling at Minories though.

Obvuiously the ideal solution would be to include large magnetic accelerators at each station to catapult the carriages up to speed in time to dock with the oncoming train.

The occasional acceleration of other metallic objects in the immediate area would be of little concern I'm sure.

Bonus points if the trains for some reason do this in the process.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

BR Western Region were still operating slip coaches well into the 1960s. I makes sense if you've got poor acceleration/braking on the train as a whole, intermediate stops become a nightmare.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
The EU, which the tories blamed for forcing them to privatise the railways 20 years ago, has now decided to force all member states to privatise their railways via a 'gradual liberalisation'. They cite the UK's rail privatisation, which it supposedly forced the UK to do, as a great success.

quote:

EU backs gradual privitisation of Europe’s railways

The European Commission’s Transport Council has reached an agreement over the political pillar of the Fourth railway package which calls for a “gradual” liberalisation of rail operations across member states.

During a meeting in Luxembourg today (October 8) the council backed the two underpinning principles of the political pillar which focus on creating more opportunities for private rail operators and splitting up large state-owned rail monopolies.

In a statement, the commission said: “Under the proposals, EU train companies would have non-discriminatory access to the network in all EU countries for the purpose of running domestic passenger services. They could either set up their own commercial services to compete with other operators, or bid for public service contracts.”

However, the council also supported an amended that would allow some public service contracts to continue to be directly awarded in certain circumstances.

The Commission has already reached an agreement over the package’s technical pillar, which aims to improve interoperability and create more opportunities for the supply chain.

EU Commissioner for Transport Violeta Bulc said: “Today’s agreement on the Fourth railway package paves the way for better efficiency, performance, value for money and quality of rail services in the EU. This will in turn benefit European citizens, companies and public authorities.

“I welcome that Ministers agreed that a gradual market-opening is a suitable way to reach these objectives. The swift adoption and implementation of the package is now essential. To this end, I look forward to a fruitful collaboration with the parliament and the council.”

A spokesman for the UK’s Rail Delivery Group (RDG) said: “We support opportunities for Europe to move towards a more liberalised railway where the sector can grow its market share, deliver even greater value and improve services for passenger and freight customers.

“The liberalisation of the UK’s railway has been a major success, with increases in rail freight and passenger journeys delivering benefits for businesses and taxpayers.”

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I'm surprised they got France and Germany to agree to that. Perhaps the opportunities afforded by moving into other countries outweighs domestic service? :shrug:

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
If the rest of the EU "liberalise" does that mean UK companies can profit from renting outdated rolling stock to them?

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

This one is similar concept but side-by-side and for cars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOmZlTjsQ0 <-- about 30m30s in.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

I think this is basically trying to enforce what was decided in the early 90s with seperating the accounts of infrastructure manager and operator.

No way the French state is going to hand it's rail services over to just anyone, they'll probably give a semblance of a bid process but set the entry requirements so stupidly high that if your name is not SNCF you ain't getting poo poo.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bozza posted:

I think this is basically trying to enforce what was decided in the early 90s with seperating the accounts of infrastructure manager and operator.

No way the French state is going to hand it's rail services over to just anyone, they'll probably give a semblance of a bid process but set the entry requirements so stupidly high that if your name is not SNCF you ain't getting poo poo.

Requirements:
  • Must have at least 77 years experience of running French Railways

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2015/devocalypse-now-taking-control-of-south-londons-railways/

Interesting to see the Wimbledon loop is terminating at Blackfriars on the map. Do TfL know something we don't?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Metrication posted:

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2015/devocalypse-now-taking-control-of-south-londons-railways/

Interesting to see the Wimbledon loop is terminating at Blackfriars on the map. Do TfL know something we don't?

It's been floated several times for the end of the Thameslink upgrade, as it makes the junction south of Blackfriars much easier to timetable. The 2011 RUS planned for it, but I'm imagining that certain MPs for South West London were upset about it and it got reversed last year.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I finally twigged today why Abellio Greater Anglia have such a loving hard-on for making sure Stansted Airport and Cambridge services run consistently at the cost of any other trains.
Stansted Express services - because they're subcontracted via C2C who have the franchise (and, therefore, could fine them for poor performance).
Cambridge - because there is actually some element of competition (probably by accident) in that if the service gets too poo poo, passengers can always choose to travel on the route to Kings Cross.

Essentially, with the Cambridge services, the fact that there is some small element of competition means that Abellio Greater Anglia can feel free to poo poo all over every other route because it's not like anyone else has a choice of how to travel.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

kingturnip posted:

Stansted Express services - because they're subcontracted via C2C who have the franchise (and, therefore, could fine them for poor performance).

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Brovine posted:

Wait, what?

IIRC all the express services from London to the airports are sold as separate franchises from the lines they travel over.

• Locked thread