Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

HondaCivet posted:

How does that work? They tried to leave but the current company gave them a better offer to stay?

In one instance I'm quite positive the guy couldn't find a better offer with his particular skill set. I still can't imagine continuing to work somewhere after actually having a competitive offer in hand and informing them about it. Other people have covered what's likely going on at your place much better than I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
Just got an interview offer by e-mail from a company I'm really interested in.

I wrote a response right away... and immediately after sending the mail, noticed that I spelled the HR person's name wrong. :downsgun:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Not really a newbie question, but the conversation in here is already sort of around this so figure I'll ask for suggestions here.

I'm in the process of interviewing for new jobs, in large part because I'm looking to move out of the bay area and want something that will let me work remotely. If I'm completely honest though, my preference would be to stay in my current position and just convince them to let me work mostly remotely.

Anyone have suggestions on having that conversation? I feel like having leverage in the form of other offers with remote work would be necessary, but I also don't want to make the "take a counteroffer" mistake.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
My current TL at Google works remotely from his house near Irvine, and another guy on our team just the other day packed up to move to Ohio, where he'll work remotely. The way they described getting permission for this was "playing chicken with Google".

One thing that has helped my TL with working remotely is that here in the office we have an all-in-one computer attached to a desk that's just a permanent videoconferencing machine for him, and he has the same thing at his place. Basically it means we have a constant portal to talk back and forth, which helps make it feel less like he's working remotely. It gets a lot of use, even people from other teams who need to talk to him will walk over to the portal rather than using gchat or hangouts at their own machine. He also flies out about once every other week to HQ.

pr0zac posted:

I also don't want to make the "take a counteroffer" mistake.
You're not leaving because you don't like the work though, right? You're just leaving because you want to live somewhere else.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 7, 2015

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Cicero posted:

You're not leaving because you don't like the work though, right? You're just leaving because you want to live somewhere else.

Basically this yeah. I absolutely love my job and team. I just love my fiancée and hate the bay area even more.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

pr0zac posted:

Not really a newbie question, but the conversation in here is already sort of around this so figure I'll ask for suggestions here.

I'm in the process of interviewing for new jobs, in large part because I'm looking to move out of the bay area and want something that will let me work remotely. If I'm completely honest though, my preference would be to stay in my current position and just convince them to let me work mostly remotely.

Anyone have suggestions on having that conversation? I feel like having leverage in the form of other offers with remote work would be necessary, but I also don't want to make the "take a counteroffer" mistake.

You could just bring it up with your boss that lots of other companies allow remote work and that you're interested in the same. Dunno how things work at Facebook but I feel like you're in a 'if you have to ask' sort of situation.

We have 3/4s of our guys remote and will probably be hiring early next year if you're interested.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Ha that's very similar to the situation I'm in. I'm not absolutely in love with my current job but it's pretty great and if I was staying here I'd keep it for another good while. However this current company is weirdly opposed to letting people work remotely. I think they will have to ease up eventually but I don't know if they are going to break that rule over me who has only been there a few months. I too have no idea how to bring it up without an offer in hand so that's what I'm working on I guess.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

How long should it take for a company to get back to you?

After an interview I asked them when I'd hear from them and they said that I was one of their first interviews and they would contact me after they were done interviewing for the position. When pushed they said they were fast and it should be a matter of days.

It's now been a week. Should I send the HR person an e-mail asking for an update? Any recommended way to phrase that e-mail?

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Tip posted:

How long should it take for a company to get back to you?

After an interview I asked them when I'd hear from them and they said that I was one of their first interviews and they would contact me after they were done interviewing for the position. When pushed they said they were fast and it should be a matter of days.

It's now been a week. Should I send the HR person an e-mail asking for an update? Any recommended way to phrase that e-mail?

Have you interviewed anywhere else? If not, why not? If the company thought you were good but not so good they couldn't find someone better given enough time they have no reason not to string you along while they continue to interview other people. You need to force their hand, hand the best way to do that is to have another offer.

So the correct phrasing is: "I have another offer on the table but I was really interested by what I saw at <company> and wanted to make sure I heard back from you before I made a decision."

If you don't have another offer, you can always strongly imply you do without lying: "I'm getting ready to decide on my next career move but I was really interested by what I saw at <company> and wanted to make sure I heard back from you before I made a decision."

Note: if they weren't that impressed with you this may very well result in their calling your bluff and saying no. Which is fine, cause that would've probably been the answer a month from now anyway.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Where the hell do you find scutwork/side work? Due to "arrears" $newjob will only pay me for two day's work on the 31st of October and then I won't see a full paycheck until the 15th of November.

Kinda sick of being grounded because I'm broke.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

the talent deficit posted:

lots of companies do something similar when going through a culture shift. it gives unhappy/unproductive people incentive to leave rather than hanging around pretending to work while they look for an out

in reality, what happens is that everyone who is competent will take the deal and leave, because they can easily find a new job, while you get stuck with the dregs that can't get hired elsewhere.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I had the job in the bag but their boss was just crazy disorganized when it came to personnel decisions, salary changes etc. I had to follow up on my hiring, acceptance letter, both promotions. I had to call back five times before my then boss and HR got their act together. Sometimes hiring the new guy takes lowest precedence over things your future boss' boss is asking him to do.

Zephonith
Jun 25, 2008

Maybe if I actually played Mafia, I'd get a better gift from my Mafia Secret Santa. :(
I'm a month and a bit away from graduating and I've found an internship with a startup in my area that I'm really excited about, and aiming to turn into a full time position. Thanks for all the advice, thread. Even the times I haven't directly asked for help, it's been really good to read and get an idea of what interviewers are looking for.

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!

I think that about sums up the job search experience.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I have a job offer that looks good but only has 10 vacation days first year, 12 second year. Bleh. And it's not negotiable. So, I'm going to try and use this as one way to ask for a higher salary - that's a legitimate argument, right?

Also they have 2 weeks sick days. I've never had sick days, how do those even work usually? Do people just use them whenever but feel guilty about it?

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 9, 2015

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Doghouse posted:

Also that have 2 weeks sick days. I've never had sick days, how do that even work usually? Do people just use them whenever but feel guilty about it?

Pretty much.

Supposedly were switching to purely PTO, but that was a rumor a year ago and nothing's been mentioned since.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Doghouse posted:

Also they have 2 weeks sick days. I've never had sick days, how do those even work usually? Do people just use them whenever but feel guilty about it?

Just keep in mind that there's nothing wrong with taking 'mental health' sick days. Those days you wake up and absolutely can't be assed to do anything are valid excuses.

It helps if you're one of those freaks like me who just never gets sick.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Basically sick days are for taking individual days off on short notice, while vacation time is for taking weeks off.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Doghouse posted:

I have a job offer that looks good but only has 10 vacation days first year, 12 second year. Bleh. And it's not negotiable. So, I'm going to try and use this as one way to ask for a higher salary - that's a legitimate argument, right?

Sure it's a legit argument.

Sick days vs. vacation days is generally a last-minute vs. planned thing. They probably have a "you must request to use vacation X days in advance" policy.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Anyone ever accepted contingent offers? The idea isn't totally crazy but I have to be honest about being a bit wary of the risks.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Anyone ever accepted contingent offers? The idea isn't totally crazy but I have to be honest about being a bit wary of the risks.

Contingent on what, exactly?

An internship of mine was contingent on passing a background check, and I think my current job offer is contingent on graduating when I said I would. Those are quite reasonable, but an offer that was contingent on something like Q3 company revenue would not be.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Steely Glint posted:

Contingent on what, exactly?

An internship of mine was contingent on passing a background check, and I think my current job offer is contingent on graduating when I said I would. Those are quite reasonable, but an offer that was contingent on something like Q3 company revenue would not be.

Sorry. Contingent on contacting current employers for a refernce.

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Sorry. Contingent on contacting current employers for a refernce.

In my experience, that's legit. Unless you seriously burned bridges at a past employer you'll pass the check.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sick days as far as I can tell yeah are either mental health days, or if you're under 30, "too hung over to come in to work". A lot of single moms take sick days to deal with their kids being sick. Especially the first six weeks after school starts back up and the kids re-infect eachother.

Any sane office is going to tell you to just loving stay home if you're obviously legit sick as they don't want you infecting the rest of the office.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Steely Glint posted:

In my experience, that's legit. Unless you seriously burned bridges at a past employer you'll pass the check.

Fair enough. How do people usually handle this? Like, I imagine you should say something to your boss rather than allowing them to be blindsided, right?

Steely Glint
Oct 29, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Fair enough. How do people usually handle this? Like, I imagine you should say something to your boss rather than allowing them to be blindsided, right?

Oh yeah, that sounds awkward. I have no experience with that in particular - hopefully others might have more to say? All I can offer is this relevant-sounding article.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Steely Glint posted:

Oh yeah, that sounds awkward. I have no experience with that in particular - hopefully others might have more to say? All I can offer is this relevant-sounding article.

Haha, well, I read that before posting but hoped for some more personal perspective.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I ended up accepting the lower paying job for the dream location and chill workers... To Colorado I go!

They didn't end up budging as much as I wanted but thew in a nice signing bonus, and they do have really good benefits so :shobon:

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Hadlock posted:

Any sane office is going to tell you to just loving stay home if you're obviously legit sick as they don't want you infecting the rest of the office.

The biggest challenge in tech is not just converting sick days into "work from home days". Sometimes its fine, sometimes you really need to be in bed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Sick days as far as I can tell yeah are either mental health days, or if you're under 30, "too hung over to come in to work".
They're my "cramming for a midterm" days :shobon:

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Someone at work shared this delightful resignation letter from somewhere he used to work. I thought you all might enjoy it as a great example of how NOT to resign:

quote:

I want to thank everyone at *company* for the opportunity to be part of the team, and for the enjoyable experience of working together. It has come to my attention that the test automation job I thought I was accepting back in June does not, in fact, formally involve much test automation. Being a senior-level SDET, I’m afraid such a revelation is a “deal breaker” to say the least. While it does not surprise me that such a gross misinterpretation of my resume might happen at *company*, I do not wish to make a big issue of it beyond what I have to say here, and would otherwise like to part with the company amicably.

Various people have told me that QA wants to automate, though much of the organization is not on-board with the idea of a “real” test automation effort. Others have told me that full-scale automation is the aim, but is weeks or months away. If automation really is the eventual goal, senior-level SDETs such as myself can definitely help. There is, however, one caveat: Don’t bring in the rock stars if you don’t have a stage. They’re not here to sing karaoke, they came here to rock-and-roll. If there is no automation effort in place, it is not possible to start one right now, and the organization still needs to be sold on automation in general, then bringing in high-end test automation experts is not appropriate. Until such time as *company* is ready to go with test automation full-speed, it should hire purely manual testers who are capable of an occasional script from time-to-time. Don’t hire the “rock stars” and expect them to be a feather-in-the-cap doing manual testing until the great promise of test automation comes true… --They’ll just quit.

As I said I’d like this to be an amicable parting, though I do wish to express my extreme displeasure about one particular fact: I’ve just quit the job I had for five years, moved my family two hundred miles, rented two apartments, and sold my house… to take a test automation job that did not exist. It is also clear that it’s not sufficient at *company* to just be able to work in an Agile environment, I’m also expected to “be a believer” in it. I’ve worked with Agile since 2003, and seen many attempts to implement it at many companies on many different projects. After working with it for so many years, the number of times I have seen Agile work, and work well, is zero. I’m no believer in Agile, and after seeing its performance here I’m not going to be. I realize that from *company*'s perspective this makes me a “heretic.” Considering that I’m a heretic here to fill a position that does not exist, the formality of two-weeks-notice would only serve to waste more of my time and *company*’s money.

Once again, you are an enjoyable bunch to work with, and I wish you all the best. May the days ahead for *city* be sunny ones, and may the chaos of a new development effort give way to the smooth sailing of a mature, established software project.

I resign with immediate effect.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I wonder how his family would feel reading that letter.

"You quit your job, sold the house and moved us 200 miles for a job you didn't research and now you're quitting it because you're too cool for it? loving really?"

"I'm a rock star, Jennifer, and I NEED to ROCK. They said that could be weeks away. WEEKS. "

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is what happens when you care too much about your job.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

quote:

Others have told me that full-scale automation is the aim, but is weeks or months away.

Holy poo poo.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I don't think you need to worry a whole lot about two weeks notice; write a letter like that and they'll happily walk you out the door.

My last job had a guy who did something similar maybe last summer. He was a fresh grad and literal baby with zero professional experience but felt he knew more than collectively everyone else in the room, and acted like it.

He turned in his notice via an internal blog post like that, saying the company and colleagues didn't respect his intelligence (which, btw, he claimed he was the most intelligent person he knew), so his last day would be two weeks hence.

The blog post, like his Active Directory account, was removed that same day.

quote:

There is, however, one caveat: Don’t bring in the rock stars if you don’t have a stage. They’re not here to sing karaoke, they came here to rock-and-roll.

Christ, dude, roll up your sleeves and build the stage. There was probably even a pile of lumber in the corner ready to go.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

kitten smoothie posted:

Christ, dude, roll up your sleeves and build the stage. There was probably even a pile of lumber in the corner ready to go.
But that'll take weeks, and he's far too good for that. He only wants to come in to fix the stage built by people who know nothing about test automation, not help guide their move towards it and leverage his experience to help them do it right from the beginning.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

kitten smoothie posted:

The star of the show doesn't build the stage. That's for the *shudder* laborers.

Edit: Though I do wonder at that company's hiring process if someone like that even got in the door in the first place. I mean, he sounds like exactly the kind of person you would attract with one of those insufferable, "We want a rock star to come work at our super-hip, radical startup!! Don't apply if you don't dream in code! ;D" job listings. I wonder if the other developers even met him before he was hired.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 12, 2015

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Guess there's something in the water because this just came in this morning:

quote:

Hi,

It is with mixed emotions that I send this note. I wanted to take a moment to let you know that I am leaving my position at $company,
with a smile on my lips and tear in my eyes.

Not only have I enjoyed working with you, I have learned how a good IT Department could be fun.
Thank you for all the support, insights, and help you have provided me during my tenure. Don't be surprised to get some telephone calls
from me, asking for advice and perhaps a sympathetic broad shoulder. If I can return any of the many favors you have done,
all you have to do is pick up the telephone and dial ***-***-**** or send me an email: $name@yahoo.com.

I truly appreciate having had the opportunity to work for such a fine organization. I wish you and the organization continued success.
Special Thanks to $coworker, $coworker, $coworker, $coworker and the entire IT staff for their exemplary support.
My best wishes to you all, always.

Sincerely.

$worked_here_for_less_than_a_year

If you're going for an Oscar you gotta be more subtle about it

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

pr0zac posted:

Have you interviewed anywhere else? If not, why not? If the company thought you were good but not so good they couldn't find someone better given enough time they have no reason not to string you along while they continue to interview other people. You need to force their hand, hand the best way to do that is to have another offer.

So the correct phrasing is: "I have another offer on the table but I was really interested by what I saw at <company> and wanted to make sure I heard back from you before I made a decision."

If you don't have another offer, you can always strongly imply you do without lying: "I'm getting ready to decide on my next career move but I was really interested by what I saw at <company> and wanted to make sure I heard back from you before I made a decision."

Note: if they weren't that impressed with you this may very well result in their calling your bluff and saying no. Which is fine, cause that would've probably been the answer a month from now anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to give them the rest of last week to get back to me and never heard back. This morning I sent an email very close to your example one:

Hi [HR Person],

I was wondering if you could tell me when I will hear back about the [name of position] position I interviewed for 2 weeks ago. I have another offer on the table but I was really interested by what I saw at [company name] and wanted to make sure I heard back from you before I made a decision.

Thanks,
[My name]

15 minutes later I got an email saying they were still in first round interviews but really wanted to bring me in for a second interview and just needed to know how's long I had to make a decision.

So seriously, super thanks. I was starting to lose my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So in a phone interview, what does it mean if they ask if you are interviewing at other places, and how should you answer? It was a startup if that matters.