Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh poo poo! :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Bye Mort.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Demiurge4 posted:

Oh poo poo! :supaburn:
An actual scene from the next comic.
Dude :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

What does Mort have to do with this.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Lurdiak posted:

What does Mort have to do with this.

He gave her the stone.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Dr Subterfuge posted:

He gave her the stone.

That might cause some repercussions wolfdad has not foreseen. His attempt at strong-arming Annie into character growth and reconciliation might just trigger her obsessively good, highly targeted, secret information that will cut deep reflex. Is there anything Annie knows about Ysengrin that will cause actual problems with other players?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I wonder what effect that will have? :ohdear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcLksPtA-J0

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

AFTER 10000 YEARS2 weeks I'M FREE

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dr Subterfuge posted:

He gave her the stone.

On the behalf of the Psychopomps, though. Muut set it all up, Mort was just the agent because reasons.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Roland Jones posted:

On the behalf of the Psychopomps, though. Muut set it all up, Mort was just the agent because reasons.
Accurate but irrelevant.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I'm on my phone so I can't look it up, but didn't Anja tell Annie that the purpose of a blinker stone is to be a focus for powers, and strong magic folk can eventually outgrow the stone as a focus? Ysengrin probably considers it a crutch and a physical manifestation of an excuse. Annie doesn't need it, he doesn't know all the background stuff with it.
He's ultimately doing her a favor, in a typically brusque way.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LegionAreI posted:

I'm on my phone so I can't look it up, but didn't Anja tell Annie that the purpose of a blinker stone is to be a focus for powers, and strong magic folk can eventually outgrow the stone as a focus? Ysengrin probably considers it a crutch and a physical manifestation of an excuse. Annie doesn't need it, he doesn't know all the background stuff with it.
He's ultimately doing her a favor, in a typically brusque way.

Can't wait to see Annie return the favour by burning off his wooden power armour :getin:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Ultimately I think Ysengrin did the right thing, but poorly executed. Similarly:

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Can't wait to see Annie return the favour by burning off his wooden power armour :getin:

Would also be the right thing to do, done poorly.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Tbh I couldn't take my eyes off Smitty

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If this forces the two Annies to remerge, I care somewhat less about what Annie will do immediately ("try to pick a fight with good ol' Ys and/or cause a forest fire) and more about what she's gonna do when she returns to the Court.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

YF-23 posted:

If this forces the two Annies to remerge, I care somewhat less about what Annie will do immediately ("try to pick a fight with good ol' Ys and/or cause a forest fire) and more about what she's gonna do when she returns to the Court.

I'm more worried about the part of her that is possibly still in the court.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Sure am glad that wasn't a gift from a departed friend or anything.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Definitely one way to explosively reunite Annie with her fire self.

Also kind of worried that Ysengrin is going to die.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Ysengrin has forgotten that Fire type beats Grass type :ohdear:

Also, "You burnt a Moss Ogre to the bone" is it just me or was this not very clearly shown in that page? I always assumed she more or less scalded the guy with Fire Elemental fire, not burnt his hand down to the bone, Jesus Christ

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Conot posted:

Also, "You burnt a Moss Ogre to the bone" is it just me or was this not very clearly shown in that page? I always assumed she more or less scalded the guy with Fire Elemental fire, not burnt his hand down to the bone, Jesus Christ

I'm pretty sure that was implied. When you try to shove your hand in white hot plasma fire that refuses to move, you're gonna have more consequences than just regular surface burns. His own fault really.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I'm more worried about the part of her that is possibly still in the court.

Fire Annie is now running excitedly through the halls of the court, both flaming middle fingers raised high into the air as she shouts with glee.

"I'm free! I'm finally free! Suck it dad! Suck it flesh Annie! SUCK IT! SUUUUCK IIIIIITTT!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 12, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

YF-23 posted:

Annie immediately tries to remerge. Her fire elemental spirit flies across towards her and is killed by Jeanne as it crosses the ravine.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

MikeJF posted:

Annie immediately tries to remerge. Her fire elemental spirit flies across towards her and is killed by Jeanne as it crosses the ravine.

Or her fire elemental spirit, in psychotic rage, burns the ghost into the afterlife. The problem is solved and the comic is done. Then we'll have a sitcom spinoff about Annie and her many dads.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

MikeJF posted:

That would be a hell of a plot twist.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

That sure is a plot development. Perhaps not the most prudent way to deal with it.

Of course, could teenage meek Annie even react without her fire?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I don't think she's going to have much of a reaction other than being kinda sad. The shoved-down dadfeelings are probably stronger than the attachment to the blinker, so this doesn't override them. There have been lots of times where we think "oh man, this is it, next page Annie's finally gonna go super saiyan" but then things pretty much always immediately settle down.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Conot posted:

Ysengrin has forgotten that Fire type beats Grass type :ohdear:

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1258

Fingers go bye bye.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Zenzirouj posted:

I don't think she's going to have much of a reaction other than being kinda sad. The shoved-down dadfeelings are probably stronger than the attachment to the blinker, so this doesn't override them. There have been lots of times where we think "oh man, this is it, next page Annie's finally gonna go super saiyan" but then things pretty much always immediately settle down.
The blinker was keeping the fire out. She's about to be hit by weeks of pent up dad rage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Splicer posted:

The blinker was keeping the fire out. She's about to be hit by weeks of pent up dad rage.

Oh yeah, I forgot it was essential to it, apparently. Huh, this'll be interesting.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I kind of hope the next strip is just a far away shot of the forest with a mushroom cloud rising over it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Annie has the best Dads

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah that panel turned out unintentionally weird.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Splicer posted:

Something is about to get hit by weeks of pent up dad rage.

Ysengrin knocks over another of the court's little buildings. Indirectly, which is odd for wolf-dad.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Blackheart posted:

Annie has the best Dads

By the end of the comic Annie will have over a hundred dads, each more terrible than the last.

Edit:

Warmachine posted:

Something is about to get hit by weeks of pent up dad rage.

Ysengrin knocks over another of the court's little buildings. Indirectly, which is odd for wolf-dad.

To be fair to wolfdad he probably has no idea what he's just done. He's underestimating Annie's anger because A) Annie was unable to explain it it properly because she hasn't even been able to process her feelings herself and B) he's a wolf and he doesn't understand human relationships. He's doing what he thinks is right, but he's wrong because he doesn't fully comprehend the situation at hand.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 12, 2015

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

EmmyOk posted:

You know, I was worried for a bit, but with him around this is going to go perfectly.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

By the end of the comic Annie will have over a hundred dads, each more terrible than the last.

Kat will grow her a robot dad, but it'll just be Boxbot with a mustache.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Colonel Cool posted:

I kind of hope the next strip is just a far away shot of the forest with a mushroom cloud rising over it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Carrasco posted:

You know, I was worried for a bit, but with him around this is going to go perfectly.

"It's a one in ten billion chance that annie will merge back succ- oh"

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
When Annie goes nova and burns a chunk of the forest, the Court will claim tit-for-tat for Coyote knocking down that building.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

To be fair to Tony he probably has no idea what he's just done. He's underestimating Annie's anger because A) Annie was unable to explain it it properly because she hasn't even been able to process her feelings herself and B) he's a broken human being and he doesn't understand human relationships. He's doing what he thinks is right, but he's wrong because he doesn't fully comprehend the situation at hand.

Boxbot_smoking_a_pipe.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
At this point I think WolfTreeDad is serving the role of WolfTreeUncle/WolfTreeSensei. In essence, there are tribes of the first nations who give the disciplining of children to their aunts and uncles rather than their parents, because their parents would be too soft because they love them too much. Which actually seems pretty healthy--get whupped by your uncle for being a little poo poo, still get unconditional love from your mum and dad. So I feel like Ysengrin is serving the role of teacher here rather than father, because obviously Annie already has a father. And as a wolf/wild animal, he knows that sometimes death or obliteration is the only way to let new growth in.

I dunno. I'm overthinking this, probably, but this is gonna have some cool consequences! Hopefully.

TLDR: Ysengrin is Tony if he actually communicated.

Strep Vote fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 12, 2015