Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This wrestling derail is worse than all the other ones because it actually makes me want to start reading and watching all the backstage drama and possibly even actual wrestling. It just sounds like such a convoluted, drama-riddled trainwreck spanning decades and involving dozens of people and millions of dollars, which is my favourite kind of trainwreck.

... but I guess I could do this instead. It's not like I'm supposed to be spending Thanksgiving with my family or anything.

Honestly, if you're interested in it: Check out Death of WCW, it's honestly a really really good book that goes into great detail of how a company can be the biggest thing in the world of wrestling and hell a huge cultural phenomenon in general and then go out of business a few years later. Then check out the AE Podcast for an overview of the insane poo poo that went on at WWE during their biggest years.

Then if you wanna check out the actual wrestling, get a WWE Network subscription. It's free for the first month and I'm almost certain you can just drop your subscription and get another free month since WWE offers them all the time. It's 9.99 a month otherwise. It's got every single WCW, ECW and WWE PPV ever, a huge selection of their weekly shows and a ton of really good documentaries on the business.

It also has NXT which is the best wrestling on current TV right now.

V------This is also acceptable as Lucha Underground is awesome and WWE should really start aping that production style, seriously the filming style is so great.

OldTennisCourt fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
No, just watch Rodriguez's Lucha Underground. And then stay for the rest of his channel, which is an unending torrent of old kung fu and monster flicks.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Lichtenstein posted:

No, just watch Rodriguez's Lucha Underground. And then stay for the rest of his channel, which is an unending torrent of old kung fu and monster flicks.

I've been out of wrestling for a few months, but I also recommend Ring of Honor and New Japan Pro. NJPW has a similar thing to WWE's Network for about the same price. Tomorrow is one of their big shows and with a English commentary team.

Edit: ANd then if you REALLY wanna get into the weeds of American indy pro wrestling, look up Pro Wrestling Gorilla.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 11, 2015

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This wrestling derail is worse than all the other ones because it actually makes me want to start reading and watching all the backstage drama and possibly even actual wrestling. It just sounds like such a convoluted, drama-riddled trainwreck spanning decades and involving dozens of people and millions of dollars, which is my favourite kind of trainwreck.

... but I guess I could do this instead. It's not like I'm supposed to be spending Thanksgiving with my family or anything.

My dad got big into WWF back in the 90's pretty much for that reason: because it was like 70's Marvel Comics brought to life.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Testekill posted:

New Jack beat the poo poo out of a concession guy at a show for offering him a sprite because they were out of mountain dew (it might be a different soda)

Don't Be In The Same Building As New Jack

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Wrestling is like this Cronenberg amalgamation of real and invented drama, and sometimes it'll break your brain.

OSW Review does some in-depth but easy-to-watch video podcasts on old rear end
WWF PPVs, and they are especially detailed wrt plotlines, careers, and backstage drama.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

PassTheRemote posted:

Yeah, this dude is just scum. The Mass Transit incident is just disgusting.

To say Russo led WWF into the Attitude era and the boom period is so ludicrous it's laughable. The last 15+ years have proven that there was more to it than that.

Well... he was at least at the front. He was head writer at the same time Austin, Rock, and Foley were making a name for themselves. But if it was just luck, or McMahon holding his hand, he was still in charge of creative. That's all I really meant. I just think it's hilarious that WWE has success putting weird assholes who hate wrestling in key positions.

CaligulaKangaroo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 11, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Well... he was at least at the front. He was head writer at the same time Austin, Rock, and Foley were making a name for themselves. But if it was just luck, or McMahon holding his hand, he was still in charge of creative. That's all I really meant. I just think it's hilarious that WWE has success putting weird assholes who hate wrestling in key positions.

Well from most accounts, being the head of creative at the WWE (especially during the Attitude Era) is a bit of a misnomer. McMahon has the final word, and that word will change. I know Jim Cornette went as far to say whoever spoke to McMahon last is usually who had their idea go to air.

Now that said, Russo undoubtedly helped create the final product, it's just that they tempered his ideas with a lot of ideas from people who grew up in the business. Other promotions that hired him just kind of let him do whatever.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
My next article will be about a wrestling-type movie, so I'd better hurry up and write it before this derail dies down.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Who could've known that wrestling chat could be worse than anime or gamergate derails.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

At least we can all agree that it's a lot better than the MGSV derails.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I know Jim Cornette went as far to say whoever spoke to McMahon last is usually who had their idea go to air.

Jim Cornette also adopted a healthier lifestyle solely because he wants to outlive Russo and piss on his grave. Cornette is rarely a reliable source on Vince Russo. :v:

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Asuron posted:

Who could've known that wrestling chat could be worse than anime or gamergate derails.

I can't believe Vince McMahon may control the fate of the Middle East.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Asuron posted:

Who could've known that wrestling chat could be worse than ... gamergate derails.

I don't even like wrestling, yet I can see that this is objectively wrong.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I don't really care much about the derails, myself. Usually they're just boring filler for the periods of time when none of the critics are doing anything interesting, and at least some fraction of the thread is entertained by them. Other than the hashtag that must not be named none of them are that obnoxious.

Just wait it out and in a day or so someone will post a video or maybe have a meltdown and we'll be back on topic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

watho posted:

At least we can all agree that it's a lot better than the MGSV derails.

It's not so much a derail that everyone is playing it, so those little two-post discussions that normally slip by about some game or other in an unrelated thread are on a much larger scale.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
GG talk is the worst because it's literally the same repetitive spiral of the same bullshit.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Compendium posted:

GG talk is the worst because it's literally the same repetitive spiral of the same bullshit.

No, you see, one side (the right side) will make the ultimate CORRECT, thread-ending point of truth. But then the OTHER side will have the dumbfuck audacity to continue to spew their incorrect bullshit. They'll simply refuse to see how wrong they are, so it'll NECESSITATE a reply so they can understand how they've failed in life.

Etc.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not so much a derail that everyone is playing it, so those little two-post discussions that normally slip by about some game or other in an unrelated thread are on a much larger scale.

The fact that it happened to pretty much every thread on the forums and the people doing it took any and all criticism as a personal insult… y'know what? MGSV is pretty much the new dark souls in terms of insufferable fanbases that makes me never want to play a game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lornekates posted:

No, you see, one side (the right side) will make the ultimate CORRECT, thread-ending point of truth. But then the OTHER side will have the dumbfuck audacity to continue to spew their incorrect bullshit. They'll simply refuse to see how wrong they are, so it'll NECESSITATE a reply so they can understand how they've failed in life.

Etc.

this kind of post doesn't really make sense when one side of the argument can be pretty well described as a group of budding serial killers

e: i'm sorry that's unnecessary, there's probably more spree killers in there than serial killers

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

watho posted:

The fact that it happened to pretty much every thread on the forums and the people doing it took any and all criticism as a personal insult… y'know what? MGSV is pretty much the new dark souls in terms of insufferable fanbases that makes me never want to play a game.

Having been on the internet for way too long, I can say that this is pretty much every Metal Gear Solid game around release time. Also the games themselves are not good and I really struggle to understand why the gently caress people go so nuts over them; at least Dark Souls had its own unique thing going on even if the fanbase oversold the living gently caress out of it.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alaois posted:

this kind of post doesn't really make sense when one side of the argument can be pretty well described as a group of budding serial killers
yes; agg can be described as that. gg are more likely to devolve into rapists that hunt in packs

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Cubey posted:

Having been on the internet for way too long, I can say that this is pretty much every Metal Gear Solid game around release time. Also the games themselves are not good and I really struggle to understand why the gently caress people go so nuts over them; at least Dark Souls had its own unique thing going on even if the fanbase oversold the living gently caress out of it.

Hoo boy, it's almost like you want a derail to happen now.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They're pretty good games.

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*
They're some of my favorite movies.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

Hoo boy, it's almost like you want a derail to happen now.

Yes, how dare they express their opinion on something!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I like the Metal Gear Solid games but 3 was incredibly unintuitive and 4's story was really dumb and bad. The first game is still my favorite.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I have never played a single Metal Gear, solid or otherwise, but as a lover of several objectively terrible things (and a hater of many popular things), I understand and accept that quality does not have any bearing on whether a thing is enjoyable, and that taste is not an objective measure.

This is also why I can enjoy critics' opinions even when I personally disagree with their conclusions, because it is fun to see things from a perspective that is not my own.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You know what game is absolute garbage? Tic-Tac-Toe

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You know what game is absolute garbage? Tic-Tac-Toe

Go back to your Connect-Four losers, you freak :rolleyes:.

Puppy Time posted:

I have never played a single Metal Gear, solid or otherwise, but as a lover of several objectively terrible things (and a hater of many popular things), I understand and accept that quality does not have any bearing on whether a thing is enjoyable, and that taste is not an objective measure.

This is also why I can enjoy critics' opinions even when I personally disagree with their conclusions, because it is fun to see things from a perspective that is not my own.

Metal Gear Solid is one of those series where even where something might not be good, it's at least interesting in an entertaining way. It has its highs and lows, and most of the lows (save for the more extreme stuff like Quiet) just get a good laugh for the sake of providing a fascinating spectacle, if nothing else.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Describes titty as a weakness of titty game.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Mathewmatosis did a series of videos on Metal Gear Solid that are really good. Gives a good rundown of why people like the series.

I still think the first one is the best one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Quiet ruined video gaming forever by having a dumb booby design

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Disappointment that she didn't turn into a treefrog

Logical conclusion from The End being a tree

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Augus posted:

Quiet ruined video gaming forever by having a dumb booby design

I've seen sentiments like this posted unironically.

Quiet's design wouldn't have raised anyone's eyebrows had Hideo not drawn attention with his dumbass "You'll feel guilty for calling this out" line.

The game also features bikini shots of a 12/14 - year old. That seems to have gone under the radar.

And it's not as if this stuff us new to TPP. MGS4 The Motion Picture had a whole set of mentally damaged sex objects who were originally supposed to be buck naked (and even had supermodels do the motion capture for them in the nude

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/Beauty_and_the_Beast_Unit#Behind_the_scenes )

Hideo is and always has been a perv.

Hell the origional Snatcher game features a tits and rear end shot of a 14-year old (her age was bumped to 18 for the us and Europe release...)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
You guys sound like a bunch of loving nerds who prefer Monopoly to Clue

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Nah, her design would have raised eyebrows even he hasn't said dumb stuff. It's incredibly stupid and the more and often that stupid nonsense gets called out the more likely things will change.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Nah, her design would have raised eyebrows even he hasn't said dumb stuff. It's incredibly stupid and the more and often that stupid nonsense gets called out the more likely things will change.

Nah it wouldn't have been called out to the degree it was if he hadn't said anything. Other MGS games seems to be filled with stuff like this for both males and females and no one really cares about it, fans even seem to expect it. The only reason Quiet got any attention at all is because he tried to justify it and it turns out it's just about the dumbest explanation possible.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Asuron posted:

Nah it wouldn't have been called out to the degree it was if he hadn't said anything. Other MGS games seems to be filled with stuff like this for both males and females and no one really cares about it, fans even seem to expect it. The only reason Quiet got any attention at all is because he tried to justify it and it turns out it's just about the dumbest explanation possible.

Other MGS games are also from a time when the portrayal of women in video games wasn't such a hot button issue.

(The Beauty and the Beast squad is still the worst though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asuron posted:

I have no idea what you are talking about and still thought it was gross.

• Locked thread