Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

evilweasel posted:

There is no comparison between the legislated "inconvenience" that abortion providers face and the small child throwing a tantrum response to any potential law that even touches some peoples Most Important Toy In The World.

You know what? gently caress you. I'm sick of reading poo poo like this from gun owners. The NRA has been nothing but reasonable. The NRA has been entirely too reasonable.

You know what being reasonable got us? hosed in the rear end. Compromise has not satisfied people like the Bradys, Bloomberg, or anyone else. They've used compromise to redefine the middle ground and tell us we need to give up more of our rights. The define being reasonable as acquiescing to all of their demands, otherwise we are extremists who want dead children.

So gently caress being reasonable. If they want change, they need to be willing to actually compromise instead of going "hey, we aren't banning everything yet"

It's time for us to realize that "go gently caress yourself" is a perfectly valid response to these idiots demanding something. Until they are ready to talk about removing suppressors from the NFA, or national CCW reciprocity, or no more SBR / SBS restrictions they aren't compromising.

.....Tantrum response?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Why would anyone compromise with gun owners when they currently have every possible favorable law. Seriously, what's left for gun owners to get? RPGs? Legal silencers? Compromise is predicated on being able to offer something to both parties. There's nothing that could be offered to gun owners that isn't even more batshit insane than our current laws.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Why would anyone compromise with gun owners when they currently have every possible favorable law. Seriously, what's left for gun owners to get?

Hopefully? Dead.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

zoux posted:

You know what? gently caress you. I'm sick of reading poo poo like this from gun owners. The NRA has been nothing but reasonable. The NRA has been entirely too reasonable.

You know what being reasonable got us? hosed in the rear end. Compromise has not satisfied people like the Bradys, Bloomberg, or anyone else. They've used compromise to redefine the middle ground and tell us we need to give up more of our rights. The define being reasonable as acquiescing to all of their demands, otherwise we are extremists who want dead children.

So gently caress being reasonable. If they want change, they need to be willing to actually compromise instead of going "hey, we aren't banning everything yet"

It's time for us to realize that "go gently caress yourself" is a perfectly valid response to these idiots demanding something. Until they are ready to talk about removing suppressors from the NFA, or national CCW reciprocity, or no more SBR / SBS restrictions they aren't compromising.

.....Tantrum response?

lol

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Why would anyone compromise with gun owners when they currently have every possible favorable law. Seriously, what's left for gun owners to get? RPGs? Legal silencers? Compromise is predicated on being able to offer something to both parties. There's nothing that could be offered to gun owners that isn't even more batshit insane than our current laws.

I mean, in the modern world it's real difficult for the average citizen to help with the security of a free state if they don't have Stinger missiles to take down aircraft.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What that quote demonstrates to me is that the concerns of the gun rights person isn't even on the same planet as the concerns of the rest of the country.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Jesus Christ listening to the Freedom Caucus supporters on the diane rehm show was painful. All this show did was confirm all my worries that they are stuck in cyclical logic that will not break and confirmed that they believe another shutdown would be great for the republicans. It got to the point where Diane was egging them on to shut it down. There is no :psyduck: big enough for this cognitive dissonance

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

zoux posted:

.....Tantrum response?

Man the idea of someone thinking the NRA has been bending over backwards for the government is just insane to me. It's on the level of someone telling me the sky is actually green, it's just objectively not true and so crazy I don't know why someone would even try to say it is.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gun owners have, completely seriously, on this very forum, argued that a proper compromise would be to let them own machine guns again

in exchange for, like, "maybe we'll think about improving background checks. but, uh, not any system proposed, always some Other Background Check system that fixes my real and genuine problem of gifting guns to my children becoming illegal and then the Jackbooted Thugs come burst down my door and lock me up if they don't have a background check, and any other crazy scenario i can think of"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They also think white, christian, male Americans are being attacked and constantly persecuted against by the government. They are totally living in a fantasy land created by right wing messaging and centuries of cultural hate for outside groups.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

Jesus Christ listening to the Freedom Caucus supporters on the diane rehm show was painful. All this show did was confirm all my worries that they are stuck in cyclical logic that will not break and confirmed that they believe another shutdown would be great for the republicans. It got to the point where Diane was egging them on to shut it down. There is no :psyduck: big enough for this cognitive dissonance

Ha ha yep. We can only hope Tortilla Coast has some kind of freak building collapse while they're in there.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
Zoux, you're kind of screwing us here. Chillax.
My proposal is that every gun owner(myself included) who want to keep our highspeedlowdrag AKs should start grassroots advocacy for better access to mental health. Let's make some positive change :)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I always love Maddow's glee at talking about the Republicans destroying themselves.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am not a book posted:

Zoux, you're kind of screwing us here. Chillax.
My proposal is that every gun owner(myself included) who want to keep our highspeedlowdrag AKs should start grassroots advocacy for better access to mental health. Let's make some positive change :)

It's true I loving loooooove guns.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

What that quote demonstrates to me is that the concerns of the gun rights person isn't even on the same planet as the concerns of the rest of the country.

What it demonstrates to me is you have poor reading comprehension. You went into a gently caress you anti NRA rant against someone making an anti-gun post. The quote does demonstrate the concerns of gun rights person isn't on the same planet as the concerns of the rest of the country, but in the exact opposite way of how you read it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's on the level of someone telling me the sky is actually green, it's just objectively not true and so crazy I don't know why someone would even try to say it is.

I had a well respected, decent acquaintance in a Poli-Sci professor/environmental consultant declare to me yesterday that Texas has more abortion clinics per capita than anywhere and would intentionally not ban them on a technicality if the opportunity occurred. People come to weird conclusions sometimes.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Why shouldn't I be able to own a silencer?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Is there a plugin that changes the words "gun control" to literally anything else like that "bitcoin"->"buttcoin" one?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

What it demonstrates to me is you have poor reading comprehension. You went into a gently caress you anti NRA rant against someone making an anti-gun post. The quote does demonstrate the concerns of gun rights person isn't on the same planet as the concerns of the rest of the country, but in the exact opposite way of how you read it.

That wasn't my rant, genius.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

zoux posted:

No loving poo poo.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

zoux posted:

It's true I loving loooooove guns.

Oh sorry, misread you; that's my bad bro.
I stand by my proposal though.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Where are these "extreme liberals" that are supposedly the counterpoint to the Tea Party that I keep hearing about in various popular media?

Yep each party definitely has equal numbers of unreasonably insane people!!! For sure, really!

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Looks like gun owners were right to be paranoid, cause it's just coming out that Obama is planning to make an executive order for comprehensive firearm confiscation:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/12/us/confiscation-is-coming-obama-to-issue-executive-order

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Where are these "extreme liberals" that are supposedly the counterpoint to the Tea Party that I keep hearing about in various popular media?

Yep each party definitely has equal numbers of unreasonably insane people!!! For sure, really!

They are on anime communist twitter.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Armyman25 posted:

For safety reasons, if a gun is being fired somewhere people in the vicinity should be able to hear it and respond appropriately by calling police or locking down if they are in a place where there shouldn't be gunfire.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I am actually vaugely impressed by the Freedom Caucus's current speaker strategy - demanding that they get structural reforms that will boost their power in exchange for allowing Ryan to be speaker. They haven't thought through all of them, of course, but it's not a bad strategy once you accept their insane worldview. If they manage to get those reforms they seriously weaken the Speaker's power to marginalize them and it would be virtually impossible to then force through a reversal of those changes later on.

I can't see Ryan being willing to accept the Speakership on those terms. It'll be hell with Boehner's powers - it will be even more misery without them.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

zoux posted:

The state of gun laws we have now demonstrates the logical conclusion of exalting individual rights to the detriment of society as a whole. We fetishize "individual liberty" even if it means the rest of society has to suffer for it. :911:

Also see the debt ceiling debacle each time it comes up. American Conservatives are willing to throw the rest of society and the world economy to the fire as long as they can satiate whatever desire for personal freedom and notion of responsibility is necessary, even if it flies in the face of reality. I guess that is what happens when you turn Ayn Rand into a role model and idol.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 12, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Armyman25 posted:

Why should you?

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why should you?

To protect my hearing and the hearing of those around me. Guns are loud.

greatn posted:

For safety reasons, if a gun is being fired somewhere people in the vicinity should be able to hear it and respond appropriately by calling police or locking down if they are in a place where there shouldn't be gunfire.

You're a "loud pipes save lives" kind've, guy, aren't you?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

greatn posted:

Silencers do not work like they do in the movies. They reduce the noise from "immediate hearing damage to the shooter" to "temporary hearing damage to the shooter"

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Monkey Fracas posted:

You don't need facts, just suitable head canon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Armyman25 posted:

Don't shoot them.

Concerns about hearing damage and the protection offered thereof from silencers are purely a range shooting issue. Gun Hobbying Trumps Lives Always.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

zoux posted:

.....Tantrum response?

is this a real post?

Armyman25 posted:

Silenced guns are still too loud to shoot without hearing protection. Thanks for playing, try again next time

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

zoux posted:

Don't shoot them.

Concerns about hearing damage and the protection offered thereof from silencers are purely a range shooting issue. Gun Hobbying Trumps Lives Always.

So no one has a good reason to ban them, outside of an image they have from movies?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zoux posted:

Bradys,

This is my favorite part of this big ol' dumb TFR post. Yes, how dare a man permanently paralyzed by a lunatic with a gun want to ban all guns.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

zoux posted:

How would a silencer, flash suppressor or muzzle brake or whatever else have stopped any shooting? Recall none of these things can be (effectively) used with pistols so we're only talking about rifles.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Armyman25 posted:

So wear hearing protection whiner.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

icantfindaname posted:

is this a real post?

It is. It is not a real zoux post however

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

I am actually vaugely impressed by the Freedom Caucus's current speaker strategy - demanding that they get structural reforms that will boost their power in exchange for allowing Ryan to be speaker. They haven't thought through all of them, of course, but it's not a bad strategy once you accept their insane worldview. If they manage to get those reforms they seriously weaken the Speaker's power to marginalize them and it would be virtually impossible to then force through a reversal of those changes later on.

I can't see Ryan being willing to accept the Speakership on those terms. It'll be hell with Boehner's powers - it will be even more misery without them.

Ryan's allies have already come out and said that the only way Ryan would ever accept the speakership is with absolute, unconditional support from the entire Republican caucus. So yeah, the Freedom Caucus's list of demands is pretty much a non-starter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Armyman25 posted:

Wear some loving earmuffs, they're cheaper anyway. And I know very well how much silencers reduce the sound of gunfire, I've used guns at a range with and without, thanks. They reduce it significantly enough that it would lessen the range from which you would hear gunfire significantly, especially if the gunfire were in a building.

Your comparison to motorcycle guys modding their vehicles to be louder is childish.

• Locked thread