Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DaveWoo posted:

Ryan's allies have already come out and said that the only way Ryan would ever accept the speakership is with absolute, unconditional support from the entire Republican caucus. So yeah, the Freedom Caucus's list of demands is pretty much a non-starter.

"I don't want the job and I won't campaign for it, but should my party elect me as speaker anyway I will serve" would be a pretty good way to thread the needle and put the onus back on the rest of the party to gin up the votes while refusing any demands for the votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Where are these "extreme liberals" that are supposedly the counterpoint to the Tea Party that I keep hearing about in various popular media?

Yep each party definitely has equal numbers of unreasonably insane people!!! For sure, really!

I no poo poo know a guy who was saying that about everyone that opposed Arizona's SB1070 "Vhere are you papers? Bill. Also something about Canadian teens being tired of being told that how they dress could distract boys. These are the crazy unreasonable tea party liberals

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

greatn posted:

Wear some loving earmuffs, they're cheaper anyway. And I know very well how much silencers reduce the sound of gunfire, I've used guns at a range with and without, thanks. They reduce it significantly enough that it would lessen the range from which you would hear gunfire significantly, especially if the gunfire were in a building.

Your comparison to motorcycle guys modding their vehicles to be louder is childish.

The idea behind "loud pipes save lives" is literally that the louder exhaust noise will alert people to the presence of the motorcycle. You're making the same argument in regards to firearms. What's more, you're saying that something should be illegal just to spite the people who oppose you.

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
So we have a bunch of people who are presumably worried about the harm caused by guns, but for some reason want to make sure that gun owners risk damaging their hearing.
Hmm.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Armyman25 posted:

The idea behind "loud pipes save lives" is literally that the louder exhaust noise will alert people to the presence of the motorcycle. You're making the same argument in regards to firearms. What's more, you're saying that something should be illegal just to spite the people who oppose you.

guns and motorcycles are not analogous in terms of purpose, level of hazard, or the reason you want people to be able to hear them

please don't instigate gun chat in this thread

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What's the gun equivalent of rolling coal

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I am not a book posted:

So we have a bunch of people who are presumably worried about the harm caused by guns, but for some reason want to make sure that gun owners risk damaging their hearing.
Hmm.

icantfindaname posted:

Silenced guns are still too loud to shoot without hearing protection. Thanks for playing, try again next time

Silencers are useful for concealing gunfire from outside observers (like the police) but not for protecting your hearing

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
You know what I would be happy to let gun owners have all of the mostly inconsequential scary-looking furniture they want if we could pass something to actually effectively control who could obtain guns.

But y'know Lol America Love Gun and all that; not happening any time soon. Enjoy the comically easily-obtainable death dealing implements, my fellow countrymen! :patriot:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I am not a book posted:

Hmm.

If gun owners are too stupid to wear ear protection, why should they be trusted with guns?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I am not a book posted:

Hmm.

It's almost as if some people who are pro gun-control are kind of dumb and petty and don't understand what they're banning. I'm pro gun control, but the poo poo some people focus on is ridiculous.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Monkey Fracas posted:

You know what I would be happy to let gun owners have all of the mostly inconsequential scary-looking furniture they want if we could pass something to actually effectively control who could obtain guns.

I kinda wish there was a position between "crew service weapons for everyone" and "ban all guns" but welcome to US politics I guess.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Spacemosins and tacced up SKSs.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

On Terra Firma posted:

It's almost as if some people who are pro gun-control are kind of dumb and petty and don't understand what they're banning. I'm pro gun control, but the poo poo some people focus on is ridiculous.

Yeah, I can't imagine why people get so upset over watching a whole group of people drag their feet in the face of repeated unnecessary mass murders.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

Silenced guns are still too loud to shoot without hearing protection. Thanks for playing, try again next time

icantfindaname posted:

Silencers are useful for concealing gunfire from outside observers (like the police) but not for protecting your hearing

You're so wrong it's not even funny. Stop posting.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

"Guns are still loud even with a silencer on!" is basically the same as "It's a magazine, not a clip"

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

You're so wrong it's not even funny. Stop posting.

*reposts this in TFR*

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

Sort of like how some gun owners think that gun control is a spiral that inevitably ends with the confiscation of all guns and a fascist state. Except banning silencers isn't enabling murder I guess.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

this_is_hard posted:

*reposts this in TFR*

I'm preserving it for future generations!

Seriously though, what silencer isn't hearing safe? Maybe a 50 cal?

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

Where are these "extreme liberals" that are supposedly the counterpoint to the Tea Party that I keep hearing about in various popular media?

Yep each party definitely has equal numbers of unreasonably insane people!!! For sure, really!

Naturally, their Other is literally a cartoon character.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

evilweasel posted:

gun owners have, completely seriously, on this very forum, argued that a proper compromise would be to let them own machine guns again

in exchange for, like, "maybe we'll think about improving background checks. but, uh, not any system proposed, always some Other Background Check system that fixes my real and genuine problem of gifting guns to my children becoming illegal and then the Jackbooted Thugs come burst down my door and lock me up if they don't have a background check, and any other crazy scenario i can think of"

I'll give up my black scary rifles for National CCW.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Armyman25 posted:

Those pipes and the muffler are specifically modded to be louder than they are naturally, as loud as possible. Heading a motorcycle from miles around provides no utility at all. Hearing gunfire from a large distance provides utility. You're talking about modding something to be quieter than it is naturally when other cheaper and more effective solutions already exist for your personal hearing protection.

It's not the same thing. Silencers should be illegal for public safety reasons, not for spite.

PS a silencer isn't a weapon so you don't even have any loving constitutional right to keep and bear one.

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 12, 2015

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, I can't imagine why people get so upset over watching a whole group of people drag their feet in the face of repeated unnecessary mass murders.

I'm upset too, but silencers are a pretty dumb thing to go after when you haven't effectively come up with ways to control guns themselves. Trying to limit access to gun accessories that wouldn't really have any meaningful impact on violence just seems counter productive. It's like trying to ban deer stands because they might be used to snipe people in the woods.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Justus posted:

Naturally, their Other is literally a cartoon character.

The funny thing is PC Principal is 100% correct. Check his privelage bro!

gohmak fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 12, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Why are gun owners too stupid to wear hearing protection? :confused:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gohmak posted:

I'll give up my black scary riffles for National CCW.

sorry i don't bargain with whiny children and you will keep your fantasy hero dressup gun that you carry everywhere so you can fantasize about how you're totally going to shoot that bad guy one day and finally be recognized and valued in your red-state ghetto

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

greatn posted:

I think with gun control laws people just need to get a handle on the fact that an inconvenience isn't a curtailing of your rights.

Mandatory background check in any gun transaction, is inconvenient but not infringing on your rights to buy, keep, and bear arms.

Eliminating the loophole that says if that check takes too long you can go ahead and buy the gun, is inconvenient, but not a curtailing of your rights unless the federal background service is willfully delaying or not performing checks.

A two week waiting period is inconvenient but not an abridgement of your rights.

Requiring a license would not be an abridgement, unless it could be proved the licensing office was purposefully using its powers to prevent people from getting licenses and therefore guns.

It shouldn't be harder to get a voter id than to get a gun.

Really modest reforms to make sure people buying guns are not violent felons or have domestic abuse records or have a diagnosed but currently untreated serious mental illness seem really rather reasonable. It won't stop shootings but at least it would lower the amount where you look at it and say "why the gently caress was this person able to buy a gun?"

A lot if this sounds good but would be vulnerable to political exploitation. For example, the reason that you can buy a gun if there is no response from the instant check system after three days, is that gun advocates were concerned that the instant background check system would be underfunded or nonfunded, resulting in an effective ban.

And they weren't wrong. The IBC system *is* underfunded, which is part of why Dylann Roof was able to buy a gun despite his pending charges.

There are some productive changes that could be made to the gun laws but they involve spending more money (requiring better reporting compliance by local police forces, etc), go counter to entrenched interests, or require more nuance than anyone in the debate is prepared to bring to the table.

Basically the issue is too thoroughly politicized to be productively addressed, much like every other issue in American politics.

Edit: to be clear I support the IBC system and agree it needs reform, but the "holes" in it -- the three day time window, the private sale loophole - exist for actual reasons, they aren't just there to give Wayne LaPierre a stiffy. They weren't solved in 1994/because nobody had a good solution for them then, and it appears our politicians still don't.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Oct 12, 2015

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Nintendo Kid posted:

You're missing the point. It has nothing to do with how dumb they are or aren't.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Spiffster posted:

Jesus Christ listening to the Freedom Caucus supporters on the diane rehm show was painful. All this show did was confirm all my worries that they are stuck in cyclical logic that will not break and confirmed that they believe another shutdown would be great for the republicans. It got to the point where Diane was egging them on to shut it down. There is no :psyduck: big enough for this cognitive dissonance

"I take offense at being called extreme right wing" :qq:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Nintendo Kid posted:

Too much exposure to loud sounds. Same reason drummers have to be directed to not stand in their own urine puddles.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Letting the CDC actually research gun violence in the US would be a good start.

And the fact that they aren't already doing that gives you a good idea of where we are with regards to controlling gun violence.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Sen. Tom Cotton has a great idea for who should be the next Speaker!

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

You're missing the point. It has nothing to do with how dumb they are or aren't.

So you are opposed to reasonable reform of gun control laws and the lack of funding for the existing systems on the grounds of "I need to buy this accessory".

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Armyman25 posted:

You're a "loud pipes save lives" kind've, guy, aren't you?

Oh man, can we please get into a bike safety derail?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Guns should be freely available but they should all be required to have an accessory that says "look at this virgin loser over here check out his tiny dick" every time they're fired.

DaveWoo posted:

God yes do this.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

YodaTFK posted:

So you are opposed to reasonable reform of gun control laws and the lack of funding for the existing systems on the grounds of "I need to buy this accessory".

People would be a lot more accepting of reasonable reform of gun control laws if "reasonable reform" didn't mean "how much poo poo can we ban while giving up nothing in return".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Thump! posted:

Spacemosins and tacced up SKSs.

But spacemosins and HSLD mall ninja tacticool SKSs are funny as hell though, unlike rolling coal. :v:

I admit I like guns, I've gone shooting, I think it's a fun time. That said, gun culture in this country is hosed beyond belief and so are our laws regarding firearms.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

various cheeses posted:

People would be a lot more accepting of reasonable reform of gun control laws if "reasonable reform" didn't mean "how much poo poo can we ban while giving up nothing in return".

It only means this in the minds of mentally damaged lunatics hth.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

evilweasel posted:

sorry i don't bargain with whiny children and you will keep your fantasy hero dressup gun that you carry everywhere so you can fantasize about how you're totally going to shoot that bad guy one day and finally be recognized and valued in your red-state ghetto

Then you get no new gun control.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DaveWoo posted:

JFC, is it possible for Cotton to be more of a hawk? Does he have some sort of inadequacy complex from his time in the Army?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

Sawed-off shotgun.

• Locked thread