Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

YodaTFK posted:

So you are opposed to reasonable reform of gun control laws and the lack of funding for the existing systems on the grounds of "I need to buy this accessory".

No? I don't even own any guns so being able to purchase a silencer doesn't matter to me. I'm saying it's dumb to go after things like that when there are bigger and more important things to focus on, like the CDC studying gun violence as someone else mentioned, than trying to argue about silencers or pistol grips. Gun control advocates will not win the "ban scary accessories" or "why do you need this for your murder machine" argument. It's loving dumb and everyone knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

various cheeses posted:

People would be a lot more accepting of reasonable reform of gun control laws if "reasonable reform" didn't mean "how much poo poo can we ban while giving up nothing in return".

We are at a ludicrous extreme of minimal gun regulation. The idea that we should horse-trade to maintain that level but at different regulations instead of fixing the system is nuts. Gun owners who want to be given sweets and lollypops in exchange for finally agreeing "no seriously, we should actually do universal background checks and actually prosecute people who blatantly break the law with straw purchases" are part of the problem, not potential allies in the solution.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

various cheeses posted:

People would be a lot more accepting of reasonable reform of gun control laws if "reasonable reform" didn't mean "how much poo poo can we ban while giving up nothing in return".

So if people stop trying to ban useless accessories the NRA will support national gun registries?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's the gun equivalent of rolling coal

fully automatic fire

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

YodaTFK posted:

So if people stop trying to ban useless accessories the NRA will support national gun registries?

Will banning them lead to national gun registries? What are you even saying here.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

gohmak posted:

Then you get no new gun control.

There isn't any path forward that relies on "reasonable gun owners" who need to be given treats for coming to their loving senses. If it can't be done without them it can't be done with them, because they never, ever, actually support any actual fixes. They support theoretical fixes but then when you write that fix they supposedly support into law - like, say, universal background checks then suddenly there's some problem that makes that particular implementation not ok, but can we please have our machine guns now and also overturn all state laws so everyone needs to honor whatever CCW licence some drunken texan idiot issued.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

evilweasel posted:

We are at a ludicrous extreme of minimal gun regulation. The idea that we should horse-trade to maintain that level but at different regulations instead of fixing the system is nuts. Gun owners who want to be given sweets and lollypops in exchange for finally agreeing "no seriously, we should actually do universal background checks and actually prosecute people who blatantly break the law with straw purchases" are part of the problem, not potential allies in the solution.

This is how laws are passed, it's been that way since the Romans. I don't know what to tell you if you think otherwise.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Luigi Thirty posted:

What's the gun equivalent of rolling coal

shooting a black kid and getting away it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

On Terra Firma posted:

You're missing the point. It has nothing to do with how dumb they are or aren't.

No it absolutely is. You only have use for a silencer if you're constantly firing guns, but somehow too stupid to own hearing protection. And you can get 34 decibel reduction earmuffs for $25: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XAM07MQ091CY9TN

That's way cheaper than a suppressor, so it's not even an issue where finances would dictate you can't afford hearing protection but can afford a suppressor.

various cheeses posted:

There is nothing to give up, though? Not our fault NRA lovers are too stupid to understand that when you already have everything you can't ask for concessions.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

On Terra Firma posted:

Will banning them lead to national gun registries? What are you even saying here.

I'm asking if ending the call to ban mostly useless accessories will be the catalyst that brings the NRA or the gun control voters on board with reforms even you seem to think we need.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Armyman25 posted:

This is how laws are passed, it's been that way since the Romans. I don't know what to tell you if you think otherwise.

Ah yes, because when we want to regulate oil wells we have to reduce regulation on gas wells!

:rolleyes:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

DaveWoo posted:

Sen. Tom Cotton has a great idea for who should be the next Speaker!

Ha ha yesss Control Through Fear.

*Dick Cheney force-chokes Louie Gohmert to death on the floor*

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Incidentally, concealed carry should absolutely be illegal unless you can prove a specific need. If you want to carry a gun around like some insecure manchild, put that poo poo out in the open so everyone can know about your mental defectiveness.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Armyman25 posted:

You horse-trade with reasonable people you can work with to assemble a majority that gets the job done. Part of that is identifying the people whose support can never actually be obtained, or whose price for their support is too high. People whose reaction is "well, i will support this self-evidently reasonable thing only if i get my insane sweetener that has nothing to do with it" are in the latter category. Once the NRA and the gun nut absolutists are broken there definitely will be a time to decide what regulations work and which should be adjusted or removed as unnecessary, but it's not now and the idea that we should horse-trade on the existing level of regulation instead of raise it is nonsense. That is an approach not worth taking - not least, because the "reasonable gun owners" are simply not trustworthy partners as the last decade has shown.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

YodaTFK posted:

I'm asking if ending the call to ban mostly useless accessories will be the catalyst that brings the NRA or the gun control voters on board with reforms even you seem to think we need.

No, it won't. I'm asking if you think getting the concession of banning silencers will get you any closer to your goal of meaningful gun law reform.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It might be easier to believe "gun owners will be on board with gun control if you just stop banning useless accessories!" if the gun owners made any effort to improve treatment for chronic mental illness, as that doesn't even involve limiting guns.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf
Add pistols to the nfa and increase tax stamp to $3500 for inflation. Make silencers title 1 and remove the 922 part count law. There's some horse trading.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Armyman25 posted:

Hmmm it sure would be bad news for your argument if a poll or something showed a super majority of americans want more gun control... oh dear.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Nintendo Kid posted:

Incidentally, concealed carry should absolutely be illegal. If you want to carry a gun around like some insecure manchild, put that poo poo out in the open so everyone can know about your mental defectiveness.

I like this better.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

James Garfield posted:

It might be easier to believe "gun owners will be on board with gun control if you just stop banning useless accessories!" if the gun owners made any effort to improve treatment for chronic mental illness, as that doesn't even involve limiting guns.

I don't think I'm saying that if people back off trying to ban certain accessories that will somehow bring the NRA around to giving ground. It won't. At all. I'm saying it's a dumb waste of time and energy because you're not going to get anything out of it.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Hmmm it should would be bad news for your argument if a poll or something showed a super majority of americans want more gun control... oh dear.

So propose a bill that expands UBC, makes it more convenient to be used, and eliminates the restrictions silencers. Offer some carrots here.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

James Garfield posted:

Well since the treatments tend to include "remove the person's guns so they can't harm themselves or others", they tend to not actually support treatment either.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

So propose a bill that expands UBC, makes it more convenient to be used, and eliminates the restrictions silencers. Offer some carrots here.

90% of Americans want UBC alone, there is no need for carrots to be offered.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Armyman25 posted:

the difference is that the romans wouldn't have tolerated whiny manchild gun owners and probably would have crucified them outside the city gate as a warning to potential copycats. they have a lot to teach us IMO

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

"We just want reasonable gun control, like banning everything that looks scary, preventing people from carrying them ever, and making everything cost thousands of dollars."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

90% of Americans want UBC alone, there is no need for carrots to be offered.

Nah, you don't need 90% of Americans in a democracy!

You need approval from your special interest group.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

various cheeses posted:

while giving up nothing in return".

Such as?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

various cheeses posted:

"We just want reasonable gun control, like banning everything that looks scary, preventing people from carrying them ever, and making everything cost thousands of dollars."

Same

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

various cheeses posted:

why dont you and deusex go and gently caress off back to the tfr thread you're 'mocking' us in?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Guys we're making this way too complicated. Just ban all white people from owning firearms.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Open carry is quite possibly the most pathetic thing ever. The only times I ever see people open carry anyway are at some lovely mall or big box store.

It's always some pasty, skinny white kid wearing sneans too.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

various cheeses posted:

hrm yeah sounds good to me

here's the thing, at this point guns should be banned just to spite gun owners, literally regardless of real world dangers. that's how bad gun owners are

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Why does your desire to own more toys trump parents who don't want their children slaughtered at school?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Why does your desire to own more toys trump parents who don't want their children slaughtered at school?

because racist morons who have been dead nearly 250 years wrote a sentence on it

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Raskolnikov38 posted:

because racist morons who have been dead nearly 250 years wrote a sentence on it

Those fuckers.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Relaxed rules on silencers/short barreled rifles/etc. Maybe stopping stupid import rules like not being able to import a barrel. Maybe admitting that pursuing a features ban is dumb as gently caress and doesn't affect crime whatsoever.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

comes along bort posted:

Guys we're making this way too complicated. Just ban all white people from owning firearms.

As a certified white bread cracker I second this. No guns for honkey!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Relaxed rules on silencers/short barreled rifles/etc.

lmao you are completely insane

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Relaxed rules on silencers/short barreled rifles/etc. Maybe stopping stupid import rules like not being able to import a barrel. Maybe admitting that pursuing a features ban is dumb as gently caress and doesn't affect crime whatsoever.

Why do you need all of these things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

various cheeses posted:

What's your irrational phobia that you use to justify hiding a gun on you in public and at your boring office job?

• Locked thread