Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big business man
Sep 30, 2012

CommanderApaul posted:

There's a constitutional amendment that protects gun ownership, there isn't one that protects voting rights, so yes, it's an applies and oranges comparison. Voting rights aren't a civil right per the constitution, gun ownership is.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey you never answered, in exchange for removing some laws what do you feel the NRA and similar groups would allow for gun control laws in return?

I don't know, what are you after?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

various cheeses posted:

Why were they so heavily restricted in the first place? Why the arbitrary barrel length?

shorter barrel is easier to conceal, NEXT QUESTION!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

icantfindaname posted:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/11/gun-silencers-dont-make-them-anywhere-near-silent/

immediate hearing loss threshold is usually given as around 120dB, so uh, ahahahaha stop posting you literal brain damaged retard

No dumbshit, immediate hearing loss is 140db. How can you not know this?

http://www.oshanoise.com/osha_standard.html

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

various cheeses posted:

Why were they so heavily restricted in the first place? Why the arbitrary barrel length?

So you're not going to answer. Okay :)

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

a gun poster being disingenuous?!?!?! :monocle:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

various cheeses posted:

Because you have no need for that thing, and they make crimes easier to commit. This is why pistols should be banned, incidentally.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

The AWB expired what did we get for that?

Hmmm let's see.

Oh, right, we got 'a hilariously creepy ad campaign that still lasts to this day painting Bloomberg as der juden in the shadows seeking to destroy America when New York tried to do literally anything, to the point where YESTERDAY I saw an ad paid for by the NRA saying 'sure, Bloomberg isn't running for president or anything...but what IS that sneaky kike up to then?! STOP BLOOMBERG!'

I mean, that's a pretty sweet deal I think.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Because they're neat. Why do you own anything other than the bare minimum needed to survive?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

CommanderApaul posted:

There's a constitutional amendment that protects gun ownership, there isn't one that protects voting rights, so yes, it's an applies and oranges comparison. Voting rights aren't a civil right per the constitution, gun ownership is.

right, a big reason why the constitution is flawed - the second amendment, a historical anachronism that because of its poor wording is held to encompass toys for idiots as an individual constitutional right, while our long history of only grudgingly allowing people to vote and simply legislating out specific reasons to deny them the right to vote has caused us to fail to enshrine the right to vote as a fundamental civic right

there is no reason, of course, why anyone should defend this and pretend it is anything but an annoying historical quirk of our constitution to deal with, certainly not pretend that ~my right to hunt~ or whatever stupid rationale is brought up instead of the more honest "it makes me feel like a big man" or "its a fun toy" rationale is anywhere on the level of voting or even something that should be beyond the normal right of society to regulate just as we regulate cars, animals, and cheese.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I guess to shift the conversation a little I'd like to ask what makes the NRA such an unreasonably powerful lobbying group.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

I don't know, what are you after?

I dunno, gun registry, major restructuring/funding boost to background checks, mandatory checks for literally any purchase of a gun no matter what setting, basic stuff that basically everyone agrees on.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"Basically everyone" without political understanding or initiative, it seems.

Why do you need a silencer/short barreled rifle et all?

Suppressors to protect your hearing, and a short barrel because sometimes the most efficient length for a given ballistic profile is less than 16 inches. And also just because.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/2015/10/one-person-shot-near-att-stadium.html

A guy gets egged on by a crowd until he blows the rival team fan's head off in the parking lot after a game.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

various cheeses posted:

Because they're neat. Why do you own anything other than the bare minimum needed to survive?

Incidentally, your toys are responsible for over 12,000 people 'not surviving' 2014.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

The AWB expired what did we get for that?

If we had kept the ban, I imagine the gun owners would have punished a few more schools for our insolence.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

various cheeses posted:

I own fountain pens because they're neat. I'd turn every single one of them in if they were used to murder a classroom full of children.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess to shift the conversation a little I'd like to ask what makes the NRA such an unreasonably powerful lobbying group.

Because the people who it represents tend to go out and vote on the singular issue more than others.

For the record, I'm not a member of the NRA, but holy poo poo after reading this thread I might become one.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

this_is_hard posted:

Incidentally, your toys are responsible for over 12,000 people 'not surviving' 2014.

Suppressors and short-barreled rifles?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

CommanderApaul posted:

shoukd people who own property be the only ones allowed to vote?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

DeusExMachinima posted:

No dumbshit, immediate hearing loss is 140db. How can you not know this?

http://www.oshanoise.com/osha_standard.html

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/noise-induced-hearing-loss/

http://www.dangerousdecibels.org/education/information-center/decibel-exposure-time-guidelines/

quote:

A clap of thunder from a nearby storm (120 dB) or a gunshot (140-190 dB, depending on weapon), can both cause immediate damage.

and in addition my last post quoted saying silenced guns average at 140dB as well, so, uh, try again. or actually, please don't and scurry back off to your manchild posting ghetto

Monkey Fracas posted:

read the last few pages of this thread to find out why

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 12, 2015

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monkey Fracas posted:

Guns owners as a demographic vote very reliably and consistently. There is no equivalent opposing entity that can boast the same thing. That's pretty much it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Gun voters will vote for someone who they disagree on every single issue except guns and against someone they agree with on every single issue but guns. It is not much of an exaggeration to say a pro-slavery pro-gun candidate would win at least a majority of gun rights voters if he ran against Reincarnated Abe Lincon who has mentioned in passing that perhaps since he was shot in the head back in his original body that we should look at this gun issue and make some reasonable regulations once.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Suppressors and short-barreled rifles?

No, those are accessories for your toys. Much like differing models and scenery are for a model train collection.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
gun owners are most likely to shoot themselves, their family members, or their friends before they go off shooting strangers, so given this trend it still baffles me why anyone would be in favor of gun control. if anything we should be encouraging gun ownership

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

various cheeses posted:

For the record, I'm not a member of the NRA, but holy poo poo after reading this thread I might become one.

lol

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Still waiting for a good argument as to why gun restrictions are so useful and would put a stop to these problems yet, Chicago.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Monkey Fracas posted:

The Republican Party is willing to suck them off every single election, and morons like the TFR krew will happily vote for Republicans so that it won't become 0.001% harder to buy another 50 guns.

various cheeses posted:

Thanks for verifying that you're a piece of poo poo who'd rather people suffer than that stupid hobby becomes slightly less convenient.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

you really gotta admire the brass balls on the gun posters here.

"dozens are dead and 90% of americans want this"
"gently caress you, gimme something"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Monkey Fracas posted:

They spent a couple decades tapping into the 'the niggers and spics are coming for you, arm yourself' dog whistle after the LA riots, then they went for the survivalist 'the government wants to take your guns to oppress you' crowd, now they're focusing on 'the government is basically discriminating against you thanks to this black motherfucker in charge'.

They've spent the last few decades going for the most reactionary, aggressive, and easily mobilized, audience possible. This, with the blue dogs in congress having to cater to them lest they lose their purple seat, created a system where a lot of politicians see them as a scary group to go against.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Monkey Fracas posted:

Americans are retarded.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

this_is_hard posted:

No, those are accessories for your toys. Much like differing models and scenery are for a model train collection.

A short-barreled rifle is not an accessory, it is a firearm. But keep being imprecise, it's working really well as a strategy for proponents of gun control.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

evilweasel posted:

Gun voters will vote for someone who they disagree on every single issue except guns and against someone they agree with on every single issue but guns.

See: Boosted, C5_

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

"because its neat" sounds like the exact reason a sociopath would give for committing a horrific act.

Oh, we're discussing regulation of tools designed for murder you say? Interesting...

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Amergin posted:

Still waiting for a good argument as to why gun restrictions are so useful and would put a stop to these problems yet, Chicago.

For the same reason that there are new OSHA regulations after serious workplace deaths, new FFA regulations after plane crashes and so on.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SedanChair posted:

A short-barreled rifle is not an accessory, it is a firearm. But keep being imprecise, it's working really well as a strategy for proponents of gun control.

So it's basically like a clip, then?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amergin posted:

I agree Amergin, Chicago is a great example of why state by state regulation doesn't work, since the surrounding states are super easy to get guns from and just drive back to Chicago to resell them for a huge profit or whatever. I'm glad you agree we need national level laws to really fix things.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Dylan Roof wasn't a member of the KKK, but he might become one.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Nintendo Kid posted:

I must have missed all those times where somebody voted into a school and killed dozens of people

Bobby Jindal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

this_is_hard posted:

So it's basically like a clip, then?

"Hey guys I'm telling jokes about my own political irrelevance"

• Locked thread