Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The expositionbomb joke was fine. Even the pillbug got bored and crawled away. And let's face it the original gag wasn't really a laugh-out-loud gag in the comic either. It was always more of a genre-aware chuckle thing.

But there's something to be said about going above and beyond the call of duty re: absurdly, ridiculously dull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dZveoBfiww

The beast king fight and immediate aftermath was where the real laughs were at, TV or comic version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenPrice
Oct 2, 2013
Both episodes covered 4 chapters of the manga.
If the show keeps the same pace then it should be just enough to cover the Boros arc which ended in chapter 48.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Boros feels like a good point to end the first season.

I love how faithful the adaption is, and the fight scenes really live up to the expectations, but I would have been ok if they shuffled things a bit more in order to build a better arc for a 12 episode season. Early OPM was just the short vignettes of a man too powerful to let any confrontation develop dramatically, but trying to cram them as it is into a 20 minute episode without any particular theme connecting them felt kinda disjointed.

Having said that, I think that the first episode did a great job showcasing Saitama's depression, and I wish that they try to build a bit more on that than the manga did. I mean, I am onboard with the series just being "Look at that guy, he is super powerful but totally only cares about veggie sales" because that's what drew me into the manga in the first place (also, Murata being God), but it will make it more interesting if they punctuate it with "and it's because he is too depressed and afraid to live up to his potential".

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Isn't it more that he's depressed because he can't realise his full potential because he's that good and would annihilate the galaxy rather than he's depressed because he's afraid to.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Leave the complaining to the pedantic nerds.
You might want to double check which forum you are posting in.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Random objects serving as censorship bars will never fail to make me giggle :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Shugojin posted:

Random objects serving as censorship bars will never fail to make me giggle :allears:

the timing of the stop sign falling over was perfect

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Scan of the OPM Hero Book thingy.

http://imgur.com/a/6FOHO

PERFECT STATS

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

gently caress, I can't wait for the anime to get to King. They better not gently caress it up.

Wait, will we even get there in 12 eps?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

gently caress, I can't wait for the anime to get to King. They better not gently caress it up.

Wait, will we even get there in 12 eps?

Nope, we're almost assuredly stopping at Boros

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
As other have pointed out, Boros seems like a good ending for a first season and fits with the current adaption rate, so probably not.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
End it JoJo style and have a stinger with King's face as the King's Engine roars.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

PaganGoatPants posted:

PERFECT STATS

Thanks for this, more awesomeness from Murata. I get the feeling he probably redrew half the book while no one was looking.

'Nah, this isn't powerful enough. Nah, not enough entrails in the explosion. Naaaaahhh, I need Genos to look ten times more powerful. Nahhh, forgot to draw a shopping circular.'

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I wonder if Murata has some alternate, Phantom of the Opera like secret identity, were he has a house at a lake beneath some major publishing house and only comes out at night to redraw manga pages and kill untalented mangakas.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I want the bass on the King engine to be so deep and powerful that running it through a good sub-woofer could make a skyscraper collapse.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

PaganGoatPants posted:

PERFECT STATS

SEX: USELESS

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I want the king engine to be voiced by Norio Wakamoto

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Aurain posted:

Isn't it more that he's depressed because he can't realise his full potential because he's that good and would annihilate the galaxy rather than he's depressed because he's afraid to.

Well, he was depressed even before becoming superhuman. It's just that he really expected strength and the struggle of combat would cure his depression and it didn't, which makes him even more disappointed in where his life has gone.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Watching the anime (and rereading some of the early manga) there seems to be quite a lot of Saitama standing up against authority not because he wants to protect his ideals or others, but because he just doesn't agree with authority figures and those figures take that as hardcore defiance when he just doesn't care. Now he has the power for that 'struggle' against authority to be gone, but that doesn't make his life easier or happier.

I guess friendship is the greatest weapon in life?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaganGoatPants posted:

PERFECT STATS

Man, I wish I could read this. Watchdogman and some others I've been curious about get pages too. Given how much text is in there, I doubt it's going to get translated, at least any time soon, though.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I could do a text transcript (or more likely a lazy summary) of some pages once I get off work (if I remember) as long as you don't want the entire thing done.

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 12, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Saitama has 2 pages. One being fake stats* and one being really him as told by Genos (he's 15/10 on all stats that aren't intelligence and one other).

*Unless there's a fake Saitama story I've forgotten and it's stats for him.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Friend on another forum posted:

This epsiode was obviously the beginning of the plot. The House of Evoltuion and stuff. And the next episode seems like will be pretty much plot too, based on the preview. It seems we'll finally learn what the heck those random monsters come from.

I'm just cackling. Oh man, waiting a week or two before telling him anything is gonna be torture but so worth it.

Should I lie? Should I just be a piece of poo poo and tell him he's right and that House of Evolution is the main conflict of the show?

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 12, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
poo poo that's great :allears:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder if he thinks that we'll know why Saitama is actually strong by the end of the season (other than the 100/100/100/10km naturally).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AnonSpore posted:

I could do a text transcript (or more likely a lazy summary) of some pages once I get off work (if I remember) as long as you don't want the entire thing done.

That'd be neat if you wanted to do that. Really, though, I think a bit help would just be knowing what the stats are. Like, Licenseless Rider has one stat maxed, two others a bit over half full, and everything else is mediocre, while Saitama's first page is either maximum or minimum for everything (except the last, which is a question mark). I'm curious who scored what here.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm just cackling. Oh man, waiting a week or two before telling him anything is gonna be torture but so worth it.

Should I lie? Should I just be a piece of poo poo and tell him he's right and that House of Evolution is the main conflict of the show?

eh, given this thread's reaction to the "wink wink nudge" hints/jokes about the original ONE version, it would be pretty hypocritical for us to endorse you loving with a friend in a similar way.

Plus it is way more fun to just watch the reactions, trust me.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aurain posted:

I wonder if he thinks that we'll know why Saitama is actually strong by the end of the season (other than the 100/100/100/10km naturally).

Uhm, that IS why he's strong :colbert:

Well that and no A/C

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I wonder if any absolute madman has been inspired to get on that regime.

Doing it every single day would be very bad for you actually.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
If the anime is really going to end before getting to show off King, I think that's a shame.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
As disappointing as a lack of King will be, the King Engine revving up is the sickest possible post-credits stinger I can think of.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hiroki Yasumoto is supposedly casted for him, so I guess that means he's in at some point.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

He shows up in the S-rank meeting before Boros. The other heroes ask him for help but he says he can't reach that high and leaves.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Aurain posted:

Hiroki Yasumoto is supposedly casted for him, so I guess that means he's in at some point.

King does appear, both in the big s class meeting, and he's around during the Boros attack (he says he can't fly so there's nothing he can do about the spaceship), but we don't learn the real deal.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ah yeah, that's right. My memory is getting fuzzy with this. I should re-read soon.

Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
Did a tad of a reread yesterday, and King is in some of the early chapters as a background person. So were probably going to see a tad of him soon.

But yeah not gonna be until S2 until we get the king arc. And since S2 will probably end with the garou arc, and murata isn't even finished with that yet, it will probably take years.

EDIT: Found the king panel, in the middle of the introduction of Sonic arc:

Captain_duck fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 12, 2015

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

That'd be neat if you wanted to do that. Really, though, I think a bit help would just be knowing what the stats are. Like, Licenseless Rider has one stat maxed, two others a bit over half full, and everything else is mediocre, while Saitama's first page is either maximum or minimum for everything (except the last, which is a question mark). I'm curious who scored what here.

From top to bottom it's physical strength, intelligence, sense of justice, endurance, reflexes, popularity, heroing results, and fighting prowess.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

AnonSpore posted:

From top to bottom it's physical strength, intelligence, sense of justice, endurance, reflexes, popularity, heroing results, and fighting prowess.

The stats that Saitama isn't 15 on are Intelligence and Popularity then.

Rider is 10 on Justice, iirc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They also have a voice for Fubuki, and I believe her only appearance before asking Saitama to join the Blizzard Group was an omake that introduced both her and Tatsumaki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

eh, given this thread's reaction to the "wink wink nudge" hints/jokes about the original ONE version, it would be pretty hypocritical for us to endorse you loving with a friend in a similar way.

Plus it is way more fun to just watch the reactions, trust me.

Fair enough, it will be more fun to see his reaction to his own words than trying to shape a reaction myself.