Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I dunno, gun registry, major restructuring/funding boost to background checks, mandatory checks for literally any purchase of a gun no matter what setting, basic stuff that basically everyone agrees on.

The gun registry is a waste of money. Canada dumped theirs after coming to that conclusion.

I'm definitely in favor of restructuring and better funding to the background checks. That's probably the biggest improvement that could be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

I must have missed all those times where somebody voted into a school and killed dozens of people

Pretty sure I did that, voting for both Bush and Obama after all.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

various cheeses posted:

A good start would be actually enforcing the laws and improving the background checks. Dumbshits like Dylan Roof and Aurora theatre guy should have never been allowed to buy guns. Better reporting of mental health poo poo and forcing states to report things to the NICS system would be great too.

So how do you think we should go about doing this? One of the biggest problems with these laws/systems is that the gun lobby has deliberately supported underfunding/hamstringing them. I can write my representatives all I want but everyone but my national Senators is a conservative who has campaigned on staunch opposition to gun restrictions of any kind. What do you and other TFR posters think we should do to affect change in a political climate that treats any and all restrictions on guns, even on the stupidest most pointless accessories, as a fundamental violation of rights?

Doloen fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 12, 2015

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I agree Amergin, Chicago is a great example of why state by state regulation doesn't work, since the surrounding states are super easy to get guns from and just drive back to Chicago to resell them for a huge profit or whatever. I'm glad you agree we need national level laws to really fix things.

So you get a federal regulation going and then we get weapons from Mexico.

And then?

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SedanChair posted:

"Hey guys I'm telling jokes about my own political irrelevance"

alternatively,

"Hey guys I'm being pedantic and disingenuous about my "I'm a Big Scary Man" hobby"

IT'S A MAGAZINE..NOT A CLIP!!!

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Thanks for verifying that you're a piece of poo poo who'd rather people suffer than that stupid hobby becomes slightly less convenient.

I like how simple disagreement with the statement "we should ban all guns and murder gun owners" leads to responses like this.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Amergin posted:

And then?

institute the north american union, and then the america's union, and then america world

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

The gun registry is a waste of money. Canada dumped theirs after coming to that conclusion.

I'm definitely in favor of restructuring and better funding to the background checks. That's probably the biggest improvement that could be made.

So you feel the NRA would support it this time around if only we made silencers easier to get?

Also other countries do fine with a registration, in fact in most other countries you have to register every single gun you own and the only way you can sell them is going through and transferring the registration and all, creating a nice easy way to have oversight on sales and incentive to not gently caress that up because if you sell your gun to Jimmy Mass Shooter without proper steps and he goes on to shoot people with a gun registered to you, welp you're hosed too! Why do you feel that's a bad system?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I guess it being more about the fact that there's so many americans who loving love/actually would literally gently caress their guns if they could makes sense. More sense than the NRA being like an unreasonably canny political force or something.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

various cheeses posted:

I like how simple disagreement with the statement "we should ban all guns and murder gun owners" leads to responses like this.

but that is actually the correct course of action to take??

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

we shouldn't ban guns, because gun owners murder themselves quite efficiently and i see no reason to restrict their second amendment rights

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

we shouldn't ban guns, because gun owners murder themselves quite efficiently and i see no reason to restrict their second amendment rights

Hmm...this really does make you think

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

YodaTFK posted:

So how do you think we should go about doing this? One of the biggest problems with these laws/systems is that the gun lobby has deliberately supported underfunding/hamstringing them. I can write my representatives all I want but everyone but my national Senators is a conservative who has campaigned on staunch opposition to gun restrictions of any kind. What does you and other TFR posters think we should do to affect change in a political climate that treats any and all restrictions on guns, even on the stupidest most pointless accessories, as a fundamental violation of rights?

You should probably stop writing those laws, which as you admit are stupid and nothing but attempts to incrementally restrict all guns.

That would be a start. Just restrain yourself from doing that for a few decades. Then once all the current Democrats have retired you can try again, and maybe somebody will believe you that you just want background checks or something.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Amergin posted:

And then?

Well considering a lot of guns in Mexico come from us that'd be a pretty interesting situation to be in.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I agree Amergin, Chicago is a great example of why state by state regulation doesn't work, since the surrounding states are super easy to get guns from and just drive back to Chicago to resell them for a huge profit or whatever. I'm glad you agree we need national level laws to really fix things.

gently caress, I hate extending gun chat, but I see this come up all the time. Is this really the case? Are the the woes of Chicago gun violence to be blamed on surrounding states?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

various cheeses posted:

You said you were willing to join a conservative organization that back the people who are why we don't have universal health care and constantly attack social services. Solely because the poor baby's gun hoard might become harder to grow. :qq:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SedanChair posted:

You should probably stop writing those laws, which as you admit are stupid and nothing but attempts to incrementally restrict all guns.

That would be a start. Just restrain yourself from doing that for a few decades. Then once all the current Democrats have retired you can try again, and maybe somebody will believe you that you just want background checks or something.

lmao yes, the solution to weekly mass murders of children in the USA is to wait 'a few decades' and for every Democrat to retire.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

When was the last time we passed a federal restriction on guns? How many decades?

Also, the idea that we have to completely deregulate an industry before we're allowed to pass a policy that 90% of Americans support is anathema to democracy.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Well considering a lot of guns in Mexico come from us that'd be a pretty interesting situation to be in.

A whole 36% sure.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Edit - never mind, no sense in contributing to this stupid derail.

Bob Socko fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 12, 2015

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

gently caress, I hate extending gun chat, but I see this come up all the time. Is this really the case? Are the the woes of Chicago gun violence to be blamed on surrounding states?

downtown chicago is only like six miles from the state line. chicago's gun ban is more symbolic than anything else

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

There are probably enough cheap old guns in dressers to sustain Chicago for a hundred years. As we all know, the real causes of violence in places like Chicago are the drug war, inequality and the hollowing out of social services. But Democrats want to actually continue and deepen those policies, so here's a scary picture of a gun, support my fool's crusade.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Glad to see another classic example of a free market conservative failing to understand basic market principles. :v:

SedanChair posted:

There are probably enough cheap old guns in dressers to sustain Chicago for a hundred years. As we all know, the real causes of violence in places like Chicago are the drug war, inequality and the hollowing out of social services. But Democrats want to actually continue and deepen those policies, so here's a scary picture of a gun, support my fool's crusade.

Why is a policy supported by 90% of Americans a "fool's crusade"?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

YodaTFK posted:

So how do you think we should go about doing this? One of the biggest problems with these laws/systems is that the gun lobby has deliberately supported underfunding/hamstringing them. I can write my representatives all I want but everyone but my national Senators is a conservative who has campaigned on staunch opposition to gun restrictions of any kind. What does you and other TFR posters think we should do to affect change in a political climate that treats any and all restrictions on guns, even on the stupidest most pointless accessories, as a fundamental violation of rights?

Sounds like proper funding and unfucking the system is a good start then. I think it sucks that there can't be actual work toward real compromise. Look at this very thread, where the bulk of these clowns are calling for my head because I disagreed with them.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Where the gently caress do you think the guns come from? They're not naturally occurring things that some dude harvests a crop of glocks he found behind his house.

Illinois is surrounded by states with much more lax gun laws to various degrees. If you want a gun in Chicago you just go to a different state, get your gun, then shoot whoever you want to shoot because there's no unified laws to do anything to stop that.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

A huge number of the guns in New York City come from a handful of Virginia stores that somehow just keep selling guns that wind up in the hands of criminals. Needless to say Virginia, and Republicans in Congress, have blocked any attempt to deal with those stores. Things like that will have to be regulated of course, with gun shops that just so happen to keep selling guns to legitimate people who need eighty handguns a week they're definitely not illegally reselling bankrupted and/or criminally prosecuted.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

You don't even need to go as far as another state, most of Illinois outside of Chicago and its immediate surroundings has far laxer gun laws.

New York City for instance doesn't have these problems nearly as bad, because everywhere around it for quite a ways has saner gun laws than average as well. They have to travel a lot farther to smuggle things in easily.

various cheeses posted:

Sounds like proper funding and unfucking the system is a good start then. I think it sucks that there can't be actual work toward real compromise. Look at this very thread, where the bulk of these clowns are calling for my head because I disagreed with them.

Here's how you unfuck the system: stop listening to gun owners, ever. There's no room for compromise with gun fanboys, who already have everything. There is nothing more to give them.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
We don't have everything, it's still illegal to make new machine guns. Give it some time though. We'll get them back.

Trabisnikof posted:

When was the last time we passed a federal restriction on guns? How many decades?

Also, the idea that we have to completely deregulate an industry before we're allowed to pass a policy that 90% of Americans support is anathema to democracy.

Two decades. And if this is a democracy and 90% of people support it, then their desires should be shortly enacted. The truth is that their support is skin-deep.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

various cheeses posted:

The issue stopping funding of background checks is the gun lobby full stop. There's no excuse otherwise. Anyone who supports them, likewise supports underfunding background checks.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

You said you were willing to join a conservative organization that back the people who are why we don't have universal health care and constantly attack social services. Solely because the poor baby's gun hoard might become harder to grow. :qq:

If the parties flip flopped on gun control I'd never vote for a republican again. Unfuck your party and maybe I'll consider giving them my votes again.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

if you get your panties in a twist because people were mean to you on the internet you probably shouldn't own a gun imo lest you become a self-freedoming statistic

actually, no, own as many guns as you want. keep one under your pillow. you can never be safe enough

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Popular Thug Drink posted:

downtown chicago is only like six miles from the state line. chicago's gun ban is more symbolic than anything else

AH I've finally cleaned all of these guns out of my living room!

*opens hallway closet; is comically inundated with an impossible amount of guns for a closet*

WHOOOAOOOAAAAA

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Your idea of compromise is 'give me everything, maybe you get something' and pretending the NRA doesn't blockade literally any law that comes out no matter how popular.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

this_is_hard posted:

but that is actually the correct course of action to take??

If we ban all guns what are we gonna use to murder the gun owners you genius?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

lol they deleted all the posts in TFR
Nah, there's still that thread there, they just removed the thread title. It's still just as easy to run commentary here on their thread as it is for them to run commentary on this thread from there.

Hi there TFR!

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

various cheeses posted:

If the parties flip flopped on gun control I'd never vote for a republican again. Unfuck your party and maybe I'll consider giving them my votes again.

The party isn't hosed, guy who openly admits he'd rather tons of people suffer and die so long as he can continue to add to his gun hoard. You are hosed, you are seriously hosed in the head.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

greatn posted:

If we ban all guns what are we gonna use to murder the gun owners you genius?

NPR tote bags.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Glad to see another classic example of a free market conservative failing to understand basic market principles. :v:

So again, given the logic for blaming Chicago's gun violence on "neighboring states," how to you deal with guns coming in from other countries?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/20/AR2007082002010.html
http://www.economist.com/node/17151375

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Two decades. And if this is a democracy and 90% of people support it, then their desires should be shortly enacted. The truth is that their support is skin-deep.

Right, it will never be "long enough since the last gun regulation" for a new one to be passed in the mind of the monied gun lobby.

The truth is that the people don't usually get to vote on gun laws, and their representatives fear the massive money and campaigning that the gun lobby brings to attack anyone who opposes it.

• Locked thread