Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Is it ok for me to gently caress my gun? I really want to but what if some law is passed that retroactively makes me loving my gun illegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Please, tell us what regulations you'd be ok with.

Vaguely "improved" background checks and no baddies allowed to have guns!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

various cheeses posted:

A decade trying to what? Just shove more regulation down everyone's throats? Then you throw a huge tantrum when your opposition doesn't roll over for you, well done.

hmm seems pretty fixated on having things shoved down his throat...

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Aardvark posted:

Guys, we can maaaaaybe try improved background checks as long as I can get a naval gun to protect my property. I won't settle for less.

Is that a gun with a gold fringe?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

evilweasel posted:

you are

you're wingnuts who refuse to negotiate and we spent a decade trying

so, we've recognized reality, and realized we should shut you in the loony bin instead of listening to "no but seriously i support reasonable restrictions, just not the one you wrote based on the exact thing I said last time, that ones out, try again" for the eighth time

Do you hear that? That's the sound of Republican electoral gains.

I've seen this cycle like three times since the 90s now, when are democrats going to learn not to piss away every political gain they make by reaching for gun control every time they feel like they're getting the slightest bit of a lead in the polls? Its like watching a child who just won't stop loving reaching for the hot stove.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

Is that a gun with a gold fringe?

Nah man that gun has no authority

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Please, tell us what regulations you'd be ok with.

"let's try to improve background checks okay im going to take my gun into the bar now, bye"

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jarmak posted:

I've seen this cycle like three times since the 90s now, when are democrats going to learn not to piss away every political gain they make by reaching for gun control every time they feel like they're getting the slightest bit of a lead in the polls? Its like watching a child who just won't stop loving reaching for the hot stove.

lol if you think there are really any voters left anymore who'd vote D and oppose the AWB as a litmus test

they might say they do, but in the same way they say they have black friends

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

Ugh stupid democrats pushing for Democrat policies when they have power, don't you IDIOTS know the only way to keep Republicans out of power is to just do Republican Approved Actions forever?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Jarmak posted:

i agree, given that the republican electorate is predominantly old, white, and male, and old white men are most likely to kill themselves by firearm, it's doubly strange that the democrats would keep pushing for gun control

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jarmak posted:

I wish Democrats would understand that when gun owning D voters get pissed off and leave, it's not because they value guns over everything else. It's because they can't stand to support politicians who see them as a rabble to be controlled.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

IMO the most sensible regulation is allowing a 1:1 transfer of any gun for the most recent Call of Duty game. they both achieve the same purpose (press F to pay respects) but you cant actually murder a school full of children with Call of Duty

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jarmak posted:

sometimes by doing the right thing you alienate bad people, such is life

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

I wish Democrats would understand that when gun owning D voters get pissed off and leave, it's not because they value guns over everything else. It's because they can't stand to support politicians who see them as a rabble to be controlled.

If someone actually supports Democratic policies and votes R over guns, they're pretty much immoral scumbags. hth

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Trabisnikof posted:

If someone actually supports Democratic policies and votes R over guns, they're pretty much immoral scumbags. hth

I'm thinking more that they stop voting. And almost every voter in America is an immoral scumbag.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

SedanChair posted:

*hits play on Pink Floyd's The Wall*

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Guns are more important than lives in America

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SedanChair posted:

So they really do support guns above everything else.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I wish Democrats would understand that when labor law ignoring D voters get pissed off and leave, it's not because they value lax labor laws over everything else. It's because they can't stand to support politicians who see them as a rabble to be controlled.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

various cheeses posted:

If the parties flip flopped on gun control I'd never vote for a republican again. Unfuck your party and maybe I'll consider giving them my votes again.

serious post: gun owners shouldn't be allowed to vote

there's no right to vote in the constitution, remember

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sure I believe Climate Change is threatening our way of life, racism and sexism are still rampant in America, income inequality is a huge issue, we need stronger environmental and financial regulation, a sensible immigration policy and I believe employers are loving over their workers.

But if you dare to support* any regulation on guns I deem worthless, gently caress the world, I'm keeping my guns!

*This is support for legislation unlikely to pass of course, but like that matters.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I wish Democrats would understand that when labor law ignoring D voters get pissed off and leave, it's not because they value lax labor laws over everything else. It's because they can't stand to support politicians who see them as a rabble to be controlled.

Regulations on individuals are different than regulations on businesses, unless of course you're a libertarian.

I still think the underlying argument is dumb though because while Republicans are anti-authoriatian on guns they're very much down with the idea of controlling people in other areas.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Sure I believe Climate Change is threatening our way of life, racism and sexism are still rampant in America, income inequality is a huge issue, we need stronger environmental and financial regulation, a sensible immigration policy and I believe employers are loving over their workers.

But if you dare to support* any regulation on guns I deem worthless, gently caress the world, I'm keeping my guns!

*This is support for legislation unlikely to pass of course, but like that matters.

Is that why you're willing to alienate a large portion of the electorate who might otherwise support you on those issues just to support useless regulations that aren't going to pass?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

Is that why you're willing to alienate a large portion of the electorate who might otherwise support you on those issues just to support useless regulations that aren't going to pass?

All I can think here is about the 2013 recalls in Colorado and I just keep coming back to 'but gently caress those people, who cares about someone who is genuinely a selfish, spiteful, enough person to think that's how things should work'.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Cool, you think it'd be nice, but we're talking about actual political reality in this country and your plan seems to be 'give them everything and then we'll pretend to be surprised when they give us nothing' and then you're getting pissy at everyone else for not being logical and reasonable.

The gun lobby in this country runs 100% on blocking ANYTHING resembling ANY level of gun control, to the point where in 2012 they were sending out mailers saying 'ok we said Obama was gonna take your guns in 08 but he didn't...BUT HE STILL IS GONNA DO IT' and they have stood in the way of basic poo poo like healthcare expansion because it involved, as part of consulting, a doctor asking if someone who has major depression or something if they have weapons in the house. You know, that 'mental health' focus you guys keep talking about, but then blocked.

What more can we give up, what's the magic cheat code to make the NRA goblin leave the treasure chest, why is it whenever this thread or threads like it get the TFR invasion there's no actual alternatives presented but instead just a bunch of smug 'heh scary guns rite' poo poo? Why is it that this country is just apparently destined to be the only developed nation where gun violence is just a daily reality, but somehow it's our fault for saying maybe you don't need a gun in church?

Some bills have gotten shot down because they didn't go too far enough for the gun control crowd. I think there was an alternative to the mandatory background checks back in 2013 that opened things up to the public but got voted down. There's a mental health bill right now from some Murphy guy who was a psychologist before becoming a rep in PA, but gets no traction. I think it's stupid as gently caress when doctors can't ask about guns in the home if you're depressed. The most I can do is call my reps and let them know the deal, so that's what I do.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Jarmak posted:

Nah it's because I'm unsettled by classrooms full of children being systematically executed. But you know, to each his own.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i agree, given that the republican electorate is predominantly old, white, and male, and old white men are most likely to kill themselves by firearm, it's doubly strange that the democrats would keep pushing for gun control
That’s because these men are also likely to kill others. The majority of actual mass shootings (defined as shootings in which multiple people die) are actually not shoot-a-school-or-a-cinema things. They are men killing their families. Or killing the families which tried to leave them (often partly because they were aggressive).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

AhhYes posted:

Nah it's because I'm unsettled by classrooms full of children being systematically executed. But you know, to each his own.

See, someone bestowed the right to one-shot muskets for militia armament 220ish years ago so we totally have the right full-auto circle-jerks in spite of public safety because

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Jarmak posted:

these people don't actually exist, just FYI

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

meristem posted:

That’s because these men are also likely to kill others. The majority of actual mass shootings (defined as shootings in which multiple people die) are actually not shoot-a-school-or-a-cinema things. They are men killing their families. Or killing the families which tried to leave them (often partly because they were aggressive).

ueah but when older white male gun owners exercise their second amendment rights against their spouses or family members, those people are also likely republican, so i still don't see how pushing gun control is a winning electoral strategy for democrats

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

icantfindaname posted:

:wave:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jarmak posted:

"Reasonable" gun owners are not a 'large' portion of the electorate who are reachable. As was convincingly demonstrated in the decade where Democrats dropped gun control and yet the reasonable gun owners somehow still always voted R because Democrats might want gun control. Since gun nuts are, virtually by definition, a paranoid bunch they're never going to be convinced there's no threat of gun control so we might as well go ahead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

various cheeses posted:

Some bills have gotten shot down because they didn't go too far enough for the gun control crowd. I think there was an alternative to the mandatory background checks back in 2013 that opened things up to the public but got voted down. There's a mental health bill right now from some Murphy guy who was a psychologist before becoming a rep in PA, but gets no traction. I think it's stupid as gently caress when doctors can't ask about guns in the home if you're depressed. The most I can do is call my reps and let them know the deal, so that's what I do.

But to be clear you vote for the gun rights crowd right? The people who think that what you think is stupid as gently caress is basically like getting a yellow Jew star on your chest, the kind of people who are 'some Murphy guy' who wants to remove SAMHSA and replace it with an appointed government official (those are never politicized right?) and focuses on treating the mentally ill as ticking time bombs (he's who I was referencing as thinking because I have Depression I'm an inherent danger but hates the idea of a gun registry).

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-300096784.html

It's a REALLY hosed up bill that really shows exactly what you guys think of when you say 'mental health reform' in this country.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

reminder: the biggest surge in gun purchases in like the last hundred years was the mere election of barak hussein obama, who was sure to steal your guns despite that he did nothing about it for like five years until the poster child of the gun-loving family murdered tons of little children because mommy dearest just had to have all of her guns

gun nuts are not sane people, despite what they tell themselves

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jarmak posted:

Those people left years ago and refuse to come back.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

The previously mentioned Colorado elections indicate otherwise.

Also the fact I'm one and I don't even own a gun.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jarmak posted:

It's weird to admit that you are just that stupid and/or evil. Willing to sell the poor up the river and you don't even have anything to gain from it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Jarmak posted:

You don't even own a gun but gun rights are more important to you than the countless other differences between the right and left in this country about serious poo poo like equal rights and global warming and poo poo?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

ueah but when older white male gun owners exercise their second amendment rights against their spouses or family members, those people are also likely republican, so i still don't see how pushing gun control is a winning electoral strategy for democrats
What about when young 'would tots vote for the Democrats except guns' male gun owners do so against the reliably Democratic-voting young single women who for some strange reason don't want to have sex with exemplars of the former group?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Tatum Girlparts posted:

But to be clear you vote for the gun rights crowd right? The people who think that what you think is stupid as gently caress is basically like getting a yellow Jew star on your chest, the kind of people who are 'some Murphy guy' who wants to remove SAMHSA and replace it with an appointed government official (those are never politicized right?) and focuses on treating the mentally ill as ticking time bombs (he's who I was referencing as thinking because I have Depression I'm an inherent danger but hates the idea of a gun registry).

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-300096784.html

It's a REALLY hosed up bill that really shows exactly what you guys think of when you say 'mental health reform' in this country.

Lol after reading that, yeah nevermind on that one. That bill sounds like a real clusterfuck.

What do you suggest btw? You seem to be the only voice of reason here.

• Locked thread