Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Barry Convex posted:

JESSICA JONES PREMIERES IN FIVE AND A HALF WEEKS, WHY IS THERE NOT A PROPER TRAILER YET, goddammit Marvek

I am sure your prayer will move the corporate overlord to act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The guy in charge hasn't been photographed since the 80s. We're lucky to get teasers.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Codependent Poster posted:

They didn't really ramp up the Daredevil promos until a few weeks before it came out. So I'd say at the end of the month/start of November is when we'll get the advertising rush.

Like maybe expect them to promote the first trailer on Agents of SHIELD.

Actually, the first full trailer for DD (labeled a "teaser trailer," but 90 seconds long and consisting of actual footage from the show) was released in early February, over two months before the premiere date.

We're less than a month and a half from the JJ premiere, and all we have are the teaser clips that were (probably) shot specifically for that purpose. Oh well, can't be that much longer, right? *sigh*

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Really though, is there anyone out there who isn't planning on watching it unless there's a really good trailer so they need to plan accordingly? Everyone in this thread will watch it, and the people that have no idea who Jessica Jones is well probably react better to a trailer closer to the release date.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Medullah posted:

Really though, is there anyone out there who isn't planning on watching it unless there's a really good trailer so they need to plan accordingly? Everyone in this thread will watch it, and the people that have no idea who Jessica Jones is well probably react better to a trailer closer to the release date.

But verucasalt.gif

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Medullah posted:

I'm definitely going to watch it, but the lack of any actual footage from the show, combat scenes, etc. makes me think they are trying to hide something. And that something is "it is bad". I'll probably be wrong, but the trailers they have shown off so far have fallen completely flat for me and made me less interested than I was before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wouldn't expect combat scenes.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'm definitely going to watch it, but the lack of any actual footage from the show, combat scenes, etc. makes me think they are trying to hide something.

Yeah, they're totally hiding something, which is why they just screened the entire first episode for NY Comic Con.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Jack posted:

But drat that got me excited. The Punisher was never one of my favorites growing up, but Garth Ennis' run really turned me onto the character, especially in part because of Steve Dillon's art - anyway - I was excited for DD Season 2 already, but now I'm loving pumped. I don't know where to set my expectations, but I am absolutely stoked.

I've been pumped since the casting was announced. It never even occurred to me as a choice, but it's a perfect one.

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, they're totally hiding something, which is why they just screened the entire first episode for NY Comic Con.

My thinking is they are handling this one with extra gloves because they're introducing a character that 99% of the world has never heard of. People have at least HEARD of Daredevil outside of comics, likely. Hell I've been following all the Marvel projects and I didn't even know she was a thing.

Also unfortunate politics: This is a solo series with a woman in the lead. That is fine, but remember, the TV division is headed by Pearlmutter still and this is the guy who outright refused to make Black Widow toys because "girls don't sell." That can't make things entirely smooth behind the scenes. I wouldn't be surprised if he's dicking with the advertising budget because he doesn't think it'll work.

ED: One other thing of note on that topic - it's a woman in the lead of a mainline superhero series that thus far doesn't look as if that's the entire focus of the character, and while this shouldn't be news, the only other female-headed superhero show I can think of scheduled is Supergirl, which definitely is stressing the SHOW FOR GIRLS angle in all it's advertising.

And yeah, I know Skye is quickly becoming the most powerful and important person on SHIELD, but Coulson's always going to be the one front-and-center in the ads. Definitely don't want to derail the thread with this stuff, but I do strongly suspect this something that's definitely factoring in a little.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

DivisionPost posted:

I know what you're saying, and I think the show will be pretty good, but screening something at a Comic-con doesn't mean poo poo. They'll show lots of awful stuff that gets a standing O.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I'm definitely going to watch it, but the lack of any actual footage from the show, combat scenes, etc. makes me think they are trying to hide something. And that something is "it is bad". I'll probably be wrong, but the trailers they have shown off so far have fallen completely flat for me and made me less interested than I was before.

This doesn't make any sense because if you cannot construct a great 2 minute trailer out of 13 episodes of footage you are talking about the worst show ever made, which we know is not going to happen.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know what you're saying, and I think the show will be pretty good, but screening something at a Comic-con doesn't mean poo poo. They'll show lots of awful stuff that gets a standing O.

The near positive reaction from every writer that saw it does mean something.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DivisionPost posted:

Comic Con is a circle jerk of course everybody there is going to like it.

jesus christ spergs, I'm sure it will be fine, I'd just like a half decent trailer like they gave us with Daredevil (which was also 13 episodes long but they somehow SOMEHOW managed to release a trailer that made it look interesting)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

I agree with the general point that such crowds are not the most objective possible audiences, but how often does that really happen?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I know there's only like a split second of The Punisher at the end (I have no idea what we're spoiler tagging and what we're not).

But drat that got me excited. The Punisher was never one of my favorites growing up, but Garth Ennis' run really turned me onto the character, especially in part because of Steve Dillon's art - anyway - I was excited for DD Season 2 already, but now I'm loving pumped. I don't know where to set my expectations, but I am absolutely stoked.

I honestly never read Jessica Jones, I don't recall why. My passing knowledge of the character didn't have me interested in that series when it was announced, but considering it's getting good buzz, I'm definitely interested now. Can anyone recommend a quick primer for the series? TIA. I don't have time to go read her whole catalog, but is there a run that covers the basics?

There's no need to spoiler tag any of that. Also congrats on being the one guy that loves Steve Dillon's art.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

There's no need to spoiler tag any of that. Also congrats on being the one guy that loves Steve Dillon's art.

Maybe he's also the one guy with the Steve Dillon face.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I've been a Dillon fan since Preacher, you cool kids can't sway me otherwise. :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

I agree with the general point that such crowds are not the most objective possible audiences, but how often does that really happen?

People went nuts for Suicide Squad and that movie looks like a steaming pile of poo poo as drawn by a goth 14 year old in 1997.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Preacher was good in spite of Steve Dillon not because of him

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

AnonSpore posted:

Preacher was good in spite of Steve Dillon not because of him

Dillon's art was a lot better back then with more detail, especially during the early years. It seems to have regressed rather than developed.

Here's a couple of splash pages:

And a few random pages which show him doing more than his now standard face:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

The guy in charge hasn't been photographed since the 80s. We're lucky to get teasers.

Are you talking about Perlmutter? Because I started looking for pictures of him just now and it's uncanny.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

People went nuts for Suicide Squad and that movie looks like a steaming pile of poo poo as drawn by a goth 14 year old in 1997.

Maybe that's what it seemed like inside Hall H, but I honestly don't recall the Twitter et al. reaction being nearly as positive, even before the trailer leaked online.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, I think it took a while for people to warm up to Suicide Squad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Irony (n):

TheJoker138 posted:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Blazing Ownager posted:

And yeah, I know Skye is quickly becoming the most powerful and important person on SHIELD, but Coulson's always going to be the one front-and-center in the ads. Definitely don't want to derail the thread with this stuff, but I do strongly suspect this something that's definitely factoring in a little.

That's not her naaaaaame!!!!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

team overhead smash posted:

Dillon's art was a lot better back then with more detail, especially during the early years. It seems to have regressed rather than developed.

Here's a couple of splash pages:

And a few random pages which show him doing more than his now standard face:

Dillon seems better with original characters. I dig his art on Preacher because the characters are his and Garth's, and it's a set tone through the series. Punisher? Ehhh, just average art there.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Medullah posted:

Dillon seems better with original characters. I dig his art on Preacher because the characters are his and Garth's, and it's a set tone through the series. Punisher? Ehhh, just average art there.

Because I had never latched onto Punisher prior to Ennis' run, Dillon's art is what comes to mind when I think of that character.

To some, maybe that's ridiculous, but some people think Roger Moore was the best Bond. Different strokes.

edit: as I flip through Google image search, I realize, yeah, it's not that spectacular. It is, in hindsight, particularly simple. I suppose I just have fond memories of those books.

Tuxedo Jack fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 12, 2015

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Medullah posted:

I don't think it's that. If you've got the Preacher books, compare his art in the first few issues to that in the last few. There's a reason I picked the examples from the start of the run.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

zoux posted:

Here's a good copy of the DD s2 "trailer", the new footage starts at 1:30.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmmFjIC1TAE

That one's gone.

HIJK posted:

The clean version has been uploaded here without any Season 1 footage: http://entertaintheidea.com/post/131021116408/father-why-do-i-still-feel-guilty-beg-and-watch

"B E G ."

I heard "Bang!", not BEG...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

team overhead smash posted:

I don't think it's that. If you've got the Preacher books, compare his art in the first few issues to that in the last few. There's a reason I picked the examples from the start of the run.

I was going to say. I've been seeing Dillon art since he first began working for 2000AD in the early 1980s. He was considered to be the natural heir to Brian Bolland, having a similar style and a much faster work rate than Bolland (who was moving permanently out of strip art at the time). Two contemporary pages:

But somewhere during the Preacher run he started dialling it in. Here's Tulip and Cassidy in Preacher 1:

And issue 13:

And issue 34:

By the end it was full-on identikit modelling. He's still a really good artist, mind you - he's just drawing the same thing all the time.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
I've started to hate anything to do with superhero's, both because we've been saturated with them for the past fifteen years and because I'm starting to hate the premise that everyone in the movie/show is supposed to wait to be rescued by an amateur in tight clothes living out a power fantasy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ghetto Prince posted:

I've started to hate anything to do with superhero's, both because we've been saturated with them for the past fifteen years and because I'm starting to hate the premise that everyone in the movie/show is supposed to wait to be rescued by an amateur in tight clothes living out a power fantasy.

Then perhaps Jessica Jones, or any of marvels movies or tv series, are not for you.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I'd say if any Marvel thing is for them then it might be Jessica Jones since that's very unlikely to be about an amateur tight clothes living out a power fantasy with people waiting to be rescued by them (they're more likely to be hiring her to help them out). Isn't the whole premise of the comics and possibly the show that (potential spoilers I guess) she tried that life out and it really REALLY did not work out for her?

Hobohemian
Sep 30, 2005

by XyloJW
Honestly, how do people read comics? They are so terrible it's amazing anyone has the attention span to finish one.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Comics are a wonderful medium because absolutely anything can happen in them and the use of sequential pictures to tell a story is basic as to be universal. That's my thoughts, peace.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/12/9508817/daredevil-first-trailer-second-season-netflix-marvel

Marvel officially released the teaser for season 2 of Daredevil!

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Hobohemian posted:

Honestly, how do people read comics? They are so terrible it's amazing anyone has the attention span to finish one.

Ignoring you unwarranted shot at all comics, they're like 12 pages long. Not even the most ADHD ravaged, smartphone-addicted, video game-obsessed 12-year-old has an attention span too short for a comic book.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ChickenMedium posted:

Ignoring you unwarranted shot at all comics, they're like 12 pages long. Not even the most ADHD ravaged, smartphone-addicted, video game-obsessed 12-year-old has an attention span too short for a comic book.

And if the comic book is too long, then the comic strip has you covered.

mycot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 13, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Two things:

1) Where's my JJ Trailer?
2) I miss Wesley.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't read comics, but I'm cool with people who do, because it's because of them that I get cool TV shows to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

TheJoker138 posted:

Then perhaps Jessica Jones, or any of marvels movies or tv series, are not for you.

I was commenting on the random superhero/comic book chat of the past few pages.

I'm looking forward to Jessica Jones, and I loved Daredevil; mostly because his badass vigilante ninja poo poo never accomplished anything and Fisk was able to run circles around him by using lawyers and money. I mean, he ends up fighting Fisk , but only after he already beat him by putting together a federal case against him.