Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sprechensiesexy posted:

At least he's thorough. Some of these Udemy and CBTnuggets videos I've been watching sometimes feel like they don't go into stuff deeply enough.
Fundamentally, that's my problem with nearly all training materials. You read a CCNP book and dude's like, let's review subnetting. I don't need to review subnetting, that's in my CCNA book.

Buy a 700 page book for a particular Windows Server certification, there might be 35 pages of new information in it, and 665 pages of essentially rehashed info from the previous OS. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Failing 410 is making me rethink my admin career. I think I want to get into finance or business or something.

Palo Alto certs. Anyone know anything about them? We just put in a firewall and I'm thinking of sending my network guy to get the 'certified configurator' cert. It's free and the devices are all over town. I feel it would be a good move for him.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Swink posted:

Failing 410 is making me rethink my admin career.

seriously?

EDIT:

so im sitting here, struggling with this bullshit geography chapter, and im wonder: Why am I going through this when I have an AAS and two TCCs in IT? All I need is one Cert to get in the door. My family could really use another person working a Full Time job in the house

then i go back to reality, and go back to reading about loving adiabatic processes :smith:

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 9, 2015

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Has anyone taken the SSCP here? How does it compare to Sec+? If I have Sec+ should I bother with SSCP if I know I can pass it? I'd go for CISSP but I'm lacking the experience part.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Passed the F5 201 exam for the TMOS certified administrator cert. Wasn't too bad, but it was made harder by the fact that there's very little study material out there.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Elucidarius posted:

Has anyone taken the SSCP here? How does it compare to Sec+? If I have Sec+ should I bother with SSCP if I know I can pass it? I'd go for CISSP but I'm lacking the experience part.

I'm curious about this as well. I know I should get the CISSP but it'll be another couple of years before I can claim enough experience.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Serious Hardware / Software Crap > The IT Certification Megathread: Straight Outta CompTIA > if it doesn't have a cbt nuggets course, i probably don't give a poo poo about it :v:

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'm curious about this as well. I know I should get the CISSP but it'll be another couple of years before I can claim enough experience.

A note to both of you. You can take and pass the CISSP without the experience requirement. You're just an associate of CISSP. However, those letters alone are probably enough to get your foot into some doors.

I know the CISSP is widely regarded, but honestly I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10ft pole unless my employer wanted it and was paying for it. There are infinitely more useful certifications for security, particularly SANS and Offensive Security. I'd even pursue something like a CEH over CISSP to be honest with you.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Doug posted:

A note to both of you. You can take and pass the CISSP without the experience requirement. You're just an associate of CISSP. However, those letters alone are probably enough to get your foot into some doors.

I know the CISSP is widely regarded, but honestly I wouldn't touch that thing with a 10ft pole unless my employer wanted it and was paying for it. There are infinitely more useful certifications for security, particularly SANS and Offensive Security. I'd even pursue something like a CEH over CISSP to be honest with you.

Yeah but the issue is you have 2 years to get the experience, even if I passed I wouldn't be able to get the experience needed. I'm at a year of experience so I figured SSCP would help me get my foot in the door too.

I'm actually currently working through the OSCP lab, but I think I could easily get the SSCP if I took a week or so off from studying OSCP stuff.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

Elucidarius posted:

Yeah but the issue is you have 2 years to get the experience, even if I passed I wouldn't be able to get the experience needed. I'm at a year of experience so I figured SSCP would help me get my foot in the door too.

I'm actually currently working through the OSCP lab, but I think I could easily get the SSCP if I took a week or so off from studying OSCP stuff.

Ah, gotcha. I can tell you I've never seen a job posting with SSCP, so take that for what you will. Have you thought about doing CHFI? That would be a nice complement for OSCP showing you have the chops for offense and defense.

ok_dirdel
Apr 27, 2003

Elucidarius posted:

https://www.isc2.org/cissp-how-to-certify.aspx

quote:

1. Obtain the Required Experience
Candidates must have a minimum of 5 years cumulative paid full-time work experience in two or more of the 8 domains of the (ISC)² CISSP CBK®. Candidates may receive a one year experience waiver with a 4-year college degree, or regional equivalent or additional credential from the (ISC)² approved list, thus requiring four years of direct full-time professional security work experience in 2 or more of the 8 domains of the CISSP CBK.

Don't have the experience? Become an Associate of (ISC)² by successfully passing the CISSP exam. You'll have 6 years to earn your experience to become a CISSP.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Oh, wow. I think I misread somewhere. Thank you for correcting me! For the moment I'll focus on the OSCP then focus on CISSP.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Doug posted:

Other than the apparently broader scope, is there much of a difference between the CEH and the OSCP in terms of what an employer would prefer? Lots of the postings I see list them side by side.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Swink posted:

Failing 410 is making me rethink my admin career. I think I want to get into finance or business or something.

A lot of extremely talented and intelligent admins have failed the 410. I failed it twice before passing.

Don't let this keep you down.

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Other than the apparently broader scope, is there much of a difference between the CEH and the OSCP in terms of what an employer would prefer? Lots of the postings I see list them side by side.

Absolutely! CEH is more of an HR-friendly cert. It gets listed on postings often, it's part of the government list, etc. HOWEVER, the exam is still very objective based, multiple choice, lots of memorization about various tools and program switches and options.

OSCP is a very hands-on cert. The exam has no multiple choice questions, your exam is 24hrs of access to a lab environment where you have to perform a pen test. You get points based on systems you gain access to and the access levels you're able to gain. At the end you have to do a full pentest report about the practical work you did.

I can say with absolute certainty if I was presented with 2 candidates, one with CEH and one with OSCP(all other things being equal) I'd pick the OSCP every time.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Doug posted:

Absolutely! CEH is more of an HR-friendly cert. It gets listed on postings often, it's part of the government list, etc. HOWEVER, the exam is still very objective based, multiple choice, lots of memorization about various tools and program switches and options.

OSCP is a very hands-on cert. The exam has no multiple choice questions, your exam is 24hrs of access to a lab environment where you have to perform a pen test. You get points based on systems you gain access to and the access levels you're able to gain. At the end you have to do a full pentest report about the practical work you did.

I can say with absolute certainty if I was presented with 2 candidates, one with CEH and one with OSCP(all other things being equal) I'd pick the OSCP every time.

Thanks this is all really helpful. I'm just getting started in the security realm and am trying to learn as I go. My employer is pushing for certs and training for me thankfully. I think in the past they've just worked with or seen CISSP's and so they wanted me to start there. I will talk them into the CEH and OSCP instead. I'll start with CEH and then start working towards the OSCP.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Doug posted:

Am I crazy for thinking OSCP sounds really fun? I'm like, 3 years out from even considering going for something like that, but dang I'm pretty interested in that now.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Not crazy at all. Wanting to learn it is the best motivator.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Am I crazy for thinking OSCP sounds really fun? I'm like, 3 years out from even considering going for something like that, but dang I'm pretty interested in that now.

Why do you say 3 years out? It IS fun, that's why I'm doing it. It's extremely hard for someone as inexperienced as me but at the same time it is the perfect learning tool/environment. As Chubby said, wanting to do it is the best motivator.

One day I'll get it. :eng99:

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Elucidarius posted:

Why do you say 3 years out? It IS fun, that's why I'm doing it. It's extremely hard for someone as inexperienced as me but at the same time it is the perfect learning tool/environment. As Chubby said, wanting to do it is the best motivator.

One day I'll get it. :eng99:

Eh, 3 years might be a bit much. But I've got stuff I want to do/get before then (CCNA, probably Server 2012 MCSA, maybe CCNP?) etc. Plus I don't have near the time I used to to devote to studying, unfortunately.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
So Ive seen a few people in here talk about being enrolled in WGU. Im kind of inherently skeptical of online degrees due to a plethora of sketchy places. Is WGU generally well regarded, or are employers likely to take a critical eye to anyone with a degree from there?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

WGU is generally well regarded. It's regionally accredited which is nice, and I've never heard of an employer having an issue with a WGU degree. There are a few of us here in SH/SC that have graduated from WGU, myself included.

There is a state gov that posts this in their job postings:

quote:

Any college hours or degree must be from a school accredited by one of the following regional accrediting bodies: the Middle States Commission on Higher Education; the New England Association of Schools and Colleges; the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities; the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; and the Western Association of Schools and Colleges

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Yeah that does remind me, I want to head back to school and it will be at WGU. Need to look into that.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The places I've interviewed at just asked how my experience at WGU was and then move on or don't even ask/care. Maybe it makes a few HR people raise an eyebrow but for the most part it's a bachelor's on a checklist. As mentioned, it's regionally accredited which is what really matters. Tuition is around 3k (my program was 3100 and change), all the classes you can take in a 6 month semester. I'm not sure how much work experience can let you skip classes but the grand majority of my credits from CC transferred in for something. If you have an AA/AS you can skip all the gen eds that aren't the introductory 'how this whole thing works' class.

You get a mentor assigned to you that checks in every week or two but for the most part you're on your own for work. Class mentors have been fairly prompt when I had questions during normal business hours and I can't really complain about my experience at the price I paid. Like most online/self-study it's all on you to crack the whip and work. If you're not motivated or need pushing constantly be very careful but if you're a good self-starter it's a great way to save money if you're past the age where you don't give a poo poo about the whole college experience and want a bachelor's.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo not pissing me off: The cover of the O'Reilly Active Directory book.

Kitties!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Kitty that's gonna scratch you in the eyes if you miss a trick question on your 70-410 :ohdear:

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Is there a story behind the animals on O'Reilly book covers?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Ashley Madison posted:

Is there a story behind the animals on O'Reilly book covers?

http://archive.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/news/ediemals_0400.html

http://archive.oreilly.com/pub/a/oreilly/news/lejeune_0400.html

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Lilli posted:

So Ive seen a few people in here talk about being enrolled in WGU. Im kind of inherently skeptical of online degrees due to a plethora of sketchy places. Is WGU generally well regarded, or are employers likely to take a critical eye to anyone with a degree from there?

I thought considered transferring and applying there for my B.S. of IT but I lacked a high-speed internet connection :ghost:

Anyways, I did read a variety of reviews and it looked fine to me from forums and even their own reddit. Also, I found a person who went for the same degree and it's very autodidactic as they have mentors but they just encourage you to study/review materials. Then they did mention it was slightly isolating and you may miss out on irl networking or w/e.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
My workmate just passed her CCIE routing and switching lab. She had to drive from Toronto to North Carolina to do it. 8 hours?! :aaaaa:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Ashley Madison posted:

My workmate just passed her CCIE routing and switching lab. She had to drive from Toronto to North Carolina to do it. 8 hours?! :aaaaa:

I am immensely curious what she had to do for the lab. I am even more curious what they make her do for the troubleshoot. Mind seeing if we can get a tiny bit of insight?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Ashley Madison posted:

I have a 10 year goal to get CCIE certified. I'm not even CCNA yet. :sigh:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

It's a lot of work but absolutely attainable. Don't go thinking you're crazy just yet!

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
I'll get her to tell me all about it and relay her story to you guys.

One step at a time, bro.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Ashley Madison posted:

I'll get her to tell me all about it and relay her story to you guys.

Much appreciated :tipshat:

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Ashley Madison posted:

I'm so glad I'm an hour and a half from the NC testing site.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

CCNA felt impossible until I hit ICND2 and was doing stuff from memory, practice practice practice. Looking at CCNP level stuff doesn't seem that alien to me now, even if it is a bit more advanced.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Before I started studying for the CCNA it intimidated me, because all I knew was that it was a really tough tech cert. Now that I have it, I look at the CCNP the exact same way. I know all I have to do is start studying but hell if it doesn't look like a mountain from this side.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005
Trip report from my friend who just did the CCIE routing & switching lab.
- 10 exam users per day. There were a few other people doing security and data centre exams at the same time.
- The routing and switching exam is entirely virtual, but you do it on a single-display desktop with windows xp :butt:
- Troubleshooting component was 2 hours to complete 10 simulated trouble tickets. The typical stuff like 2 servers can't talk to each other.
- Diagnostic component was 30 minutes to work through 3 tickets. They found this part was the toughest.
- Config lab is the biggest part at 5.5 hours. You get a huge diagram simulating a multi-national business with different sites, service providers, and requirements. About 50 devices including routers, switches, servers, workstations. More than half of the devices are routers, as the exam title would suggest :v:
- You don't have to subnet. All the IPs are provided for you.
- At some point during the config a proctor will tweak something like an interface (just 1 thing) and you'll have to fix it.

Any questions (without disclosing actual test questions) I can pass along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I've been making pretty good progress. I wanted to take the CCENT like a month ago, but... family/video games/friends, so I don't get as much time to study as I might otherwise. But during downtime I've got CBT Nuggets running on my work desktop and I've got PacketTracer/GNS3 on my laptop, and I've got (extermely) basic CLI config down pretty well, and subnetting's ok... so I'm probably going to schedule it for late Nov/early Dec.

Would've liked to have gotten my CCNA before the end of the year but oh well.