Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hakimashou posted:

So i outfitted my imperial clipper as that mining build and bumbled over to the nearest metallic ring and figured out how to do prospecting limpet and other limpets and laser the rocks.

But for like 30 minutes of work i got like 150k credits of stuff.

I made that much smuggling slaves 4 hops over in my starter ship. :hitler:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

hakimashou posted:

So i outfitted my imperial clipper as that mining build and bumbled over to the nearest metallic ring and figured out how to do prospecting limpet and other limpets and laser the rocks.

But for like 30 minutes of work i got like 150k credits of stuff.

Where were you mining? Pristine rings give the best yield (check the planet on the system map. Frey and Njikan are two popular systems), and among those you want to seek PPPGO (Painite, Platinum, Palladium, Gold, Osmium, in order of descending value) and ignore/discard the other stuff you find. Prioritizing those and mining in pristine reserves, you should be able to stuff about $2,000,000 of rocks into a Clipper, with potentially much higher profits if you turn in at a base that spits out lots of mining missions (mostly for painite and platinum, it seems).

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
It came from the reddits:

:stare:

Kryopsis
Jun 30, 2012

Shapes and colours the likes of which I've never seen!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

It came from the reddits:

:stare:

Wow, you basically get a new Vulture for selling 3 containers of weed.
So far I haven't seen a single mission with a 7-digit pay. Do these appear as your reputation improves or is this some sort of a bug?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Must be some really good poo poo

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I saw some 1 million credit combat missions (not assassination) before the patch. Could be legit

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah I have seen 1 mill missions but they usually require elite rank.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's true

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Shine posted:

Where were you mining? Pristine rings give the best yield (check the planet on the system map. Frey and Njikan are two popular systems), and among those you want to seek PPPGO (Painite, Platinum, Palladium, Gold, Osmium, in order of descending value) and ignore/discard the other stuff you find. Prioritizing those and mining in pristine reserves, you should be able to stuff about $2,000,000 of rocks into a Clipper, with potentially much higher profits if you turn in at a base that spits out lots of mining missions (mostly for painite and platinum, it seems).

the first random 'metal ring' planet i found. I just hoovered up everything i found, it was the first time i ever did mining. I'll find a pristine one and be more discriminating.

fake edit:

Also drat a 5m credit smuggling missions would be nice

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

hakimashou posted:

the first random 'metal ring' planet i found.

Besides finding a ring with pristine reserves, go for "Metallic," not "Metal Rich"

Metallic

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Just wondering if the update borked the interdiction for everywhere. I mean middle of nowhere and Pow you are interdicted by an NPC and you can't escape.

One other question, if someone interdicts you, do you still have to warrant check them before opening fire or does the interdiction also class as a criminal act to you meaning you can defend without checking?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TheresaJayne posted:

Just wondering if the update borked the interdiction for everywhere. I mean middle of nowhere and Pow you are interdicted by an NPC and you can't escape.

One other question, if someone interdicts you, do you still have to warrant check them before opening fire or does the interdiction also class as a criminal act to you meaning you can defend without checking?

Just interdicting someone is a fine, so you still need to scan them unless they start shooting.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think one thing that they need to improve on is mid-level ships.

Sidewinder -> Eagle\Adder -> Viper\Cobra works well, but then after the Cobra, you've got a loooonnngg time before you end up buying a new ship. It isn't until you start making millions fairly quickly before you can start looking at the upper level ships like Pythons and Vultures. I reckon they need to fill out their roster a bit more so there's some good stuff to progress to after the Cobra.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

H13 posted:

Sidewinder -> Eagle\Adder -> Viper\Cobra works well, but then after the Cobra, you've got a loooonnngg time before you end up buying a new ship. It isn't until you start making millions fairly quickly before you can start looking at the upper level ships like Pythons and Vultures. I reckon they need to fill out their roster a bit more so there's some good stuff to progress to after the Cobra.

I went Cobra -> Type-6 -> Asp in the space of a couple of days which isn't too bad by just running this loop. After the Asp though it completely drops off - without rank grinding you've got a 50 million credit gap and I feel like they really need to fill in some more accessible multi purpose ships in there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
The Federal Assault ship is a very good low-number-of-targets ship, it's maneuverability is insane and the speed at which it can change direction with just maneuvering thrusters is quite incredible. You can engage a target and blast the poo poo out of it before it even has time to react. If it does react just twirl around it as it fruitlessly tries to get a bead on you.
Incidentally it also makes a very good civilian killer :v:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Shine posted:

discard the other stuff you find
Be aware though - your collector drones will not only pick jettisoned cans back up, they'll prioritise them over chunks of rock. :v:

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

H13 posted:

Viper/Cobra -> Vulture/Asp isn't really that huge a jump. When I started I went from a Viper to a Vulture (like less than a week) pretty fast through straight bounty hunting. You obviously won't have the high-grade components but you can upgrade as you go. Everything after that is ridiculous though yeah, and I wouldn't say no to Frontier adding an intermediate step.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

The Federal Assault ship is a very good low-number-of-targets ship, it's maneuverability is insane and the speed at which it can change direction with just maneuvering thrusters is quite incredible. You can engage a target and blast the poo poo out of it before it even has time to react. If it does react just twirl around it as it fruitlessly tries to get a bead on you.

Wow, I may try this ship for combat then when I come back from the Outer Arm. I thought about refitting my Asp before, but I didn't know the FA is actually more maneuverable. My lovable little blimp can stay the explorer and get stored, it seems.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

KakerMix posted:

Do you know what fed rank you need to be to get it?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

ralfi is at it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A__nbX9TxEE

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfMqbxEWFH4

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

He lives in apartment 15b, habitat ring level 5.

This is clearly pilot error, he told the computer to take him home. :colbert:

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

It's been a while since I've booted up Elite, but before I started this video I thought "why would anyone trust the Elite AI to land their ship when you always see NPCs loving it up?"

Then the video confirmed my suspicions :v:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have never seen one of those stations dang

Now that I'm just running cargo maybe I'll come across one

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

That's a loving great video.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

double riveting posted:

That's a loving great video.

That guy is a natural. Watch his DCS videos btw, they are stellar.

Some more ED from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbFfxRArhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzCFXIBrFP8

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

Be aware though - your collector drones will not only pick jettisoned cans back up, they'll prioritise them over chunks of rock. :v:

Yeah. What I usually do is dump unwanted stuff whenever my collectors expire (every 12 minutes or so). Someone also posted a tip that your collectors will instantly expire if you disable your collector module(s), so you can do that, dump stuff, fly several KM away, then deploy new ones and resume mining.

I swapped my Asp for an Imperial Clipper. Mining just got way sexier. :allears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Can I raise empire rep just through trading or am I going to need to regularly do missions?

Trading seems to be the easiest way to gain rep but will it generate rank progression missions?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There was an explanation of this fairly recently, to generate rank progression missions you need to do missions for affiliated minor factions, which raises a hidden stat (that never lowers) called 'faction skill' or something. Once faction skill is high enough, you get a mission.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Shine posted:

I swapped my Asp for an Imperial Clipper. Mining just got way sexier. :allears:
I did the same today: I still don't have the cash to properly outfit it for combat, but I had more than enough to make it a pretty sweet mining ship. :D

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I got my rep up with the "cheesing donations" bit that's all over the ED forums. I'd accept any ~$500K smuggling missions that came up, and when I got bored enough of donation spamming I'd head out and do them all at once to make a few easy millions.

Shine fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 12, 2015

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The Diamond Frogs combat zone NPCs are basically goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzoXUGKz0M

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Shine posted:

The Diamond Frogs combat zone NPCs are basically goons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOzoXUGKz0M

This rules

Shine posted:

I got my rep up with the "cheesing donations" bit that's all over the ED forums. I'd accept any ~$500K smuggling missions that came up, and when I got bored enough of donation spamming I'd head out and do them all at once to make a few easy millions.

So just find a place that is Empire-affiliated (so owned by Avril), do all the donations and grab the biggest smuggling missions, swap modes, repeat until bored/full? Which missions am I looking for?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone read any of the Elite novels? I'm thinking about reading one....

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Adult Sword Owner posted:

So just find a place that is Empire-affiliated (so owned by Avril), do all the donations and grab the biggest smuggling missions, swap modes, repeat until bored/full? Which missions am I looking for?

I went to Tamar because it has several minor Empire factions that regularly offer donation missions (sometimes I'd get 4-5 at once, but sometimes you go several rerolls without any; yay probability). Basically sit there all goddamn day rerolling the board and doing all the cash donation missions that come up (and donations for commodities they sell, like food cartridges).

If you're doing this just for the Clipper, then keep in mind the time you'll spend doing this trick could be spent collecting enough RES bounties to very easily afford a Python. I just went the Clipper route because it looks cool.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
I absolutely love that the Diamond Frogs system seems to be in a constant state of conflict. JUST ANOTHER DAY IN A WAR WITHOUT END

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else have a hell of a time doing combat zone bounties? I pop in, pick DF and deploy weapons and then generally some shithead starts lighting me up, usually a loving railgun packing Asp. I lose my shields before I can even take him down, assuming some of his friends don't jump on me and get in a little bit on the 'kick the vulture in the teeth' action.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Innerguard posted:

Anyone else have a hell of a time doing combat zone bounties? I pop in, pick DF and deploy weapons and then generally some shithead starts lighting me up, usually a loving railgun packing Asp. I lose my shields before I can even take him down, assuming some of his friends don't jump on me and get in a little bit on the 'kick the vulture in the teeth' action.

I'll beeline to greens before I start looking for targets. That way I'll have some help. It's really annoying though when you start getting pelted by railguns from a bunch of angles. Anyway, the PGS thread is focusing hard on the conflict zone right now, so there should be plenty of people to wing up with you if you post in there.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone read any of the Elite novels? I'm thinking about reading one....

You can read The Dark Wheel for free, over at Ian Bell's website!

It was the first Elite novel(la) ever, and was included with the original '84 release. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alehkhs posted:

You can read The Dark Wheel for free, over at Ian Bell's website!

It was the first Elite novel(la) ever, and was included with the original '84 release. :eng101:

Is it good? Also are you the same "Alehks" as "CMDR Alehks?" You're in my friends list yay!

• Locked thread