Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

This was taken at a concert so I'm gonna post in here.

Untitled by David Shen, on Flickr

EDIT: Also from that show

[/url
][url=https://flic.kr/p/xKgV4h]King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard
by David Shen, on Flickr

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Aug 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I shot some nightclubs this weekend for the first time as back-up for a friend's company because LDW is crazy. Last night the headliner was Chris Brown and Ed Sheeran was just there in a booth hanging out so they got him on stage and kind of badgered him into singing part of Thinking Out Loud over the mp3 file on the DJs computer. Before that Nelly appeared out of nowhere and did part of E.I. I got this photo of the three of them on stage. It was weird as gently caress and awesome. Jeremih was also there but he did three songs so I think he was probably pre-planned.

E: Bonus "lol wait is that loving Ed Sheeran?" pic when I noticed him in the booth I was standing on before they called him onstage.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Sep 8, 2015

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Decided to try this double exposure thing out.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Not bad. Get the drummer in the lower right corner and then I think you can call it a day. It's neat how you (perhaps unintentionally) got a bunch of elements from both photos to line up.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

HPL posted:

Not bad. Get the drummer in the lower right corner and then I think you can call it a day. It's neat how you (perhaps unintentionally) got a bunch of elements from both photos to line up.

I wish there was a drummer, it's a two piece shoegaze band called Forevr - https://forevr.bandcamp.com/releases - pretty good stuff.

I've always thought of doing some double exposure stuff - there's a local photographer called Savannah Van der Niet who does utterly incredible stuff with 35mm double exposures with live music (http://www.savvycreative.com.au/music - I wish my stuff was this good) so it's kind of stuck in my mind and it just kinda worked for this.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Is the double exposure done in camera or did you do it in post?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If he did it in-camera, he's got horseshoes up his butt.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Yeah it was done in GIMP after the fact.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

I, Butthole posted:

It's been a quiet few months for me and I'm about to get back into the swing of things with a 3 day camping festival, joy of joys. On the other hand, I finally get the see Blur and Spiritualized, so I'm relatively hyped. I'm also taking an Olympus Trip and some low speed colour film to give it a red hot go for mainly candid stuff rather than bands, but given that it's in a huge sunny amphitheatre it might end up working out alright.

From the last show I shot:

- when you get thrown around in the mostpit so hard you don't realise you got shifted to "bulb" mode on your backup body and it turns out kinda alright I guess?

King Parrot loving owns. I hope you've seen their video clips. (Particularly Dead End and poo poo on The Liver)

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 4, 2015

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I got asked by a buddy to shoot a mini-festival thing he put on. I've never done gig photography before (apart from a failed attempt in a dark pub a couple of weeks ago) and pretty much my first time behind a DSLR in like 2 or 3 years.

Didn't have anything wider than 70mm so it was hard to get full band shots that were acceptable. Pretty new to me but lots of fun and I'd love to do more of it in future. Here's a few, anyway. Any pointers appreciated. I hate that loving red light!

IMG_2297 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2275 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2262 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2249 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2234 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2168 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2161 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2074 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2058 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2052 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2025 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_2019 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_1920 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_1919 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_1890 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_1846 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_1728 by alex gard, on Flickr

IMG_1696 by alex gard, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

what the gently caress posted:

King Parrot loving owns. I hope you've seen their video clips. (Particularly Dead End and poo poo on The Liver)

Yep, I'm mates with someone who did their on set stills during poo poo on The Liver, I think, who originally turned me on to them. Great band.

Shot a dance festival over the long weekend, which was an interesting exposure to a bunch of artists I'd never bothered listening to before. Went for Childish Gambino and Client Liaison, and came back with a few albums on my "to buy" list, which is always a net positive from a festival.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've started processing my shots from Ness Creek, a music festival I went to in July. It was my first ever music festival and I had a blast.
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 1 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 4 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 10 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 14 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Sometimes I get bored during editing and do... things... to a virtual copy.
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 11 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I loving love stage lights. I'm hopeless at dealing with them in post, but I love what they do.

I was just standing in the crowd, usually pushing (politely, :canada:) to the front and staying to one side. The actual event photogs had stage access and have posted some pretty fantastic stuff. I'm hoping to convince the organizers next year to let me be a volunteer photographer, get better access and get in to the festival for cheaper (volunteers for other tasks usually get to attend for free).

EDIT: Holy GRAP you guys are posting some great stuff. WTF, you've got some real gems in there.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

ExecuDork posted:

I was just standing in the crowd, usually pushing (politely, :canada:) to the front and staying to one side. The actual event photogs had stage access and have posted some pretty fantastic stuff. I'm hoping to convince the organizers next year to let me be a volunteer photographer, get better access and get in to the festival for cheaper (volunteers for other tasks usually get to attend for free).

If you build up a portfolio why wouldn't you ask for a job? Depending on the size of the festival you might just be able to contact their publicist and ask for a photo pass, but don't volunteer for no pay.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I, Butthole posted:

If you build up a portfolio why wouldn't you ask for a job? Depending on the size of the festival you might just be able to contact their publicist and ask for a photo pass, but don't volunteer for no pay.

My "portfolio" will be the photos I shot at that event plus some shots at a live-music thing at a bar last year, shot half drunk using the kit I had with me for landscapes and birds.

1. My self-confidence regarding this kind of work isn't high enough to do it for pay.

2. I don't think of myself as a professional. I've never sold a photo. I have never shot a photo for someone else, but I have supplied images to organizations after the fact.

3. Volunteers are what makes a small music festival work. The only people getting paid at Ness Creek are the top organizers and the performers, as far as I can see.

4. I *really* don't want to take a paid gig away from somebody else. I neither need nor want to get paid to take pictures, but more than that I don't want to get in anyone else's way.
I would be happy to compete with somebody else for "shoot pictures, get in to festival for free", as long as that other person was in the same position as me, but I think it would be hard to ensure I'm not low-balling under a professional.

You raise a good point, I will have to think about this a lot more. Stage access for me would be just a fun luxury but a career necessity for somebody else.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you can take better photos than the paid guy and can make it work at whatever rate they're getting paid at, then unless the paid photographer is either your spouse or best friend, there's no reason to not try throwing your hat in the ring and applying for that position next year.

And if the paid guy is a lovely photographer, then you not applying is just enabling more lovely photography in the world.

HPL fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 11, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HPL posted:

If you can take better photos than the paid guy and can make it work at whatever rate they're getting paid at, then unless the paid photographer is either your spouse or best friend, there's no reason to not try throwing your hat in the ring and applying for that position next year.

And if the paid guy is a lovely photographer, then you not applying is just enabling more lovely photography in the world.
Also a good point. Out of curiousity, and to keep this conversation going (I am very happy this conversation is happening), what kind of rates would you charge for a couple of dozen photos of the half-dozen bands on the main stage Saturday night?

More procrastinated-editing photos from months ago! Huzzah!
Ness Creek 2015 17 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Megan Nash at Ness Creek 2015 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Library Voices at Ness Creek 2015 5 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Library Voices at Ness Creek 2015 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Library Voices at Ness Creek 2015 9 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Workshop Stage at Ness Creek 2015 2 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Workshop Stage at Ness Creek 2015 7 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Workshop Stage at Ness Creek 2015 12 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Workshop Stage at Ness Creek 2015 16 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Ness Creek 2015 22 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

and more silly edits!
Library Voices at Ness Creek 2015 3 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

ExecuDork posted:

My "portfolio" will be the photos I shot at that event plus some shots at a live-music thing at a bar last year, shot half drunk using the kit I had with me for landscapes and birds.

1. My self-confidence regarding this kind of work isn't high enough to do it for pay.

2. I don't think of myself as a professional. I've never sold a photo. I have never shot a photo for someone else, but I have supplied images to organizations after the fact.

3. Volunteers are what makes a small music festival work. The only people getting paid at Ness Creek are the top organizers and the performers, as far as I can see.

4. I *really* don't want to take a paid gig away from somebody else. I neither need nor want to get paid to take pictures, but more than that I don't want to get in anyone else's way.
I would be happy to compete with somebody else for "shoot pictures, get in to festival for free", as long as that other person was in the same position as me, but I think it would be hard to ensure I'm not low-balling under a professional.

You raise a good point, I will have to think about this a lot more. Stage access for me would be just a fun luxury but a career necessity for somebody else.

Yeah man, I work in the music industry so I totally get the point of volunteers - but photographers are usually budgeted for in the same way that management/publicity/organisers are, because it is generally noted as a good investment. Granted, most will fight tooth and nail to try and pay the least, but it is recognised as a generally worthwhile point.

Take the time to build up a portfolio, gain experience and confidence - no one is going to be turning in gallery quality work right off the bat, but if you focus on improvement as well as networking your arse off it will generally pay off quite well if you try.

If your main focus is "I want to get into shows for free and take photos", work for a blog or make your own and start contacting PR companies and bands for that stuff. If you want to try making something out of it, put in the work.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

I, Butthole posted:

If your main focus is "I want to get into shows for free and take photos", work for a blog or make your own and start contacting PR companies and bands for that stuff. If you want to try making something out of it, put in the work.
I'm 99% sure my goal is "get in to festivals for free by volunteering my time as a photographer, rather than as a parking attendant (something I also have considerable experience as)". Making money is obviously a good thing, too, but clearly the minimum-work threshold to get paid in this kind of thing is higher than the work needed to just get assigned a 4-hour volunteer shift. As it should be, I'm not complaining here!

I already have a blog that's just my personal silliness update-my-mom-so-I-don't-feel-bad-about-not-calling-more-often, but I think it's reasonable to put together a blog with the specific purpose of building towards that music-festival goal. Thanks for the suggestion!

When I took the photos at the live-music thing at the bar last year I posted links to them on the facebook pages of the musicians I had shot but none of them responded in any way. Oh well.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
The lighting was loving terrible in this gig. 85mm 1.2 LII lens is an absolute dog for autofocus in low light and good luck MF'ing in this low light. Luckily I took my speedlite, got a few keepers but figuring out how to bounce light was a new challenge for me. I borrowed my buddies 24-70 2.8 L and that stayed on the camera most of the night. Gotta get myself one of those. Awesome lens.

gently caress I love metal gigs though.

M.S.I last ever gig and 22 year reunion of Van Demon @ Republic, Hobart

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 18, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

A guy I know is in a punk band. He saw some of my banal urban landscape photos on Facebook and asked if I would take some photos of his band with my Mamiya C330. Apparently film is pretty punk rock.

Anyway, they were really pleased with the photos so they asked me to shoot a gig they were playing... in some guys backyard shed. This time they wanted digital, and I haven't picked up a digital camera in about three years. I borrowed a D610 the morning of the gig and quickly taught myself how to use it. It was sweltering hot and there was practically no space to move, but I somehow managed to get some workable shots. Good thing I packed a wide angle lens...

Again, they liked the shots so they asked me to shoot another gig - this time in a nightclub - later that night. I had no idea what I was doing, really, but it was all a good bit of fun and I managed to get some images that they were really happy with.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cool work. I've only done two gigs but man it's such an awesome way to enjoy a concert. And I don't have to get blind drunk like I usually do to enjoy it, and people move out of your way and don't get pissy when you push to the front ha.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

what the gently caress posted:

Cool work. I've only done two gigs but man it's such an awesome way to enjoy a concert. And I don't have to get blind drunk like I usually do to enjoy it, and people move out of your way and don't get pissy when you push to the front ha.

Thanks dude. You're not wrong. People in the audience treat you like some sort of VIP.

The gig in the shed was full of these old dudes who look like they went out into the surf sometime in the 70s and finally just washed back ashore. The sort of guys with which I have absolutely nothing in common. After the gig they were all shaking my hand and asking me all about what I was doing and really getting into it all. Ordinarily, they wouldn't have cared in the slightest about photography but in this context they were loving every second of it.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Totally man. Also a really good way to network I guess. I took a fistful of some business cards I got made up, not expecting to give away any but was really surprised to actually give them all out. Wish I'd done this years ago!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Awesomeness, and I especially like this shot.

I had a conversation with a friend-of-a-friend professional photog who suggested I contact some of the artists I shot at that summer music festival and see if they're interested in buying any. Seems obvious, really, but I was wondering if anybody here had done something like that. It feels like cold-calling, which isn't something I've done before but I have no objections.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Violent Soho are one of the biggest Australian bands at the moment and I've been following them for almost a decade. They played an intimate show last night and goddamn they're still as fierce live as the first time I saw them. Check 'em out.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
postin'

old stuff - AFI at Soundwave Festival 2014

new stuff - Pulled Apart By Horses, last week

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005
Wow, shooting concerts is challenging. Here's my first stab.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

I, Butthole posted:

postin'

old stuff - AFI at Soundwave Festival 2014

This is stellar.

My friend and I got into a conversation the other day about concert photography and I was telling him that what I'm really attempting to capture with all of these U2 shows I'm attending is the audience interactions. I've come to realize over the years that many of my favorite concert photos show the emotion that live music is able to evoke from the audience.

He mentioned this photo to me that I have never seen before and I am totally in love with it:
http://imgur.com/AHeN1bi

I've put a few more galleries from U2 shows up on my site... in Ireland at the moment getting ready for the final 6 shows of their tour.

These are all in chronological order so the band shots are after general fan shots.
http://www.justin-kent.com/u2-new-york-6/

This was the fanclub party that Edge & Adam Clayton showed up to to surprise a room of maybe 300 hardcore fans.
http://www.justin-kent.com/u2-atu2-20th/

http://www.justin-kent.com/u2-new-york-7/

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Can you talk a bit about how you balance your colours in strong stage lights? I see a few shots where the band is bathed in strong blue or red light but the skin tones are still recognisable. When I've tried processing pictures with similar lighting, I've had terrible trouble getting back to anything approaching a realistic colour balance. Often the only way to salvage an image has been to convert it to black and white. Red LED spotlights are particularly bad for it I've found.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Jimlad posted:

Wow, shooting concerts is challenging. Here's my first stab.

too soon

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
One thing I find that helps is to underexpose by 1/3 of a stop. LED stage lights blow out easily because they are strong in narrow bands of lights that they use to make up one colour or another. That particular colour may not be the colour that the camera sensor is designed to pick up well so the camera will overexpose things illuminated in that colour. If you underexpose, you can do a little trickery to recover highlights, but if the photo was properly exposed as the sensor figured it should be, the highlights may be blown out in certain areas. Conventional lighting isn't so bad because it emits light across the whole visible spectrum to one degree or another so the sensor can deal with it.

The reason B&W conversions work so well in these cases (at least as far as I can figure) is because once you take the particular blown-out colours out of the equation, you're left with the rest of the image which is fine.

I have noticed that newer sensors are better at dealing with LED lighting than older sensors, most likely because it's more of an issue now and the sensor companies have learned to adapt somewhat plus newer sensors have better dynamic range so they can go farther before blowing out than older sensors. Post processing software like Lightroom and DxO Optics Pro are better at handling LED lighting as well. I use DxO which has a colour recovery slider and it works great at bringing colour highlights back to earth.

Here's a short and simple video showing the spectrum differences between various light sources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoAZ-u6hn6g

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

One thing I find that helps is to underexpose by 1/3 of a stop. LED stage lights blow out easily because they are strong in narrow bands of lights that they use to make up one colour or another. That particular colour may not be the colour that the camera sensor is designed to pick up well so the camera will overexpose things illuminated in that colour. If you underexpose, you can do a little trickery to recover highlights, but if the photo was properly exposed as the sensor figured it should be, the highlights may be blown out in certain areas. Conventional lighting isn't so bad because it emits light across the whole visible spectrum to one degree or another so the sensor can deal with it.

The reason B&W conversions work so well in these cases (at least as far as I can figure) is because once you take the particular blown-out colours out of the equation, you're left with the rest of the image which is fine.

I have noticed that newer sensors are better at dealing with LED lighting than older sensors, most likely because it's more of an issue now and the sensor companies have learned to adapt somewhat plus newer sensors have better dynamic range so they can go farther before blowing out than older sensors. Post processing software like Lightroom and DxO Optics Pro are better at handling LED lighting as well. I use DxO which has a colour recovery slider and it works great at bringing colour highlights back to earth.

Here's a short and simple video showing the spectrum differences between various light sources:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoAZ-u6hn6g

I was shooting on a 70D and exposing properly. Here are some examples of what I'm talking about.

This one I had to desaturate and dial all the way back otherwise the highlights on the dude's forehead made it look like his face was on fire.

Skalmold by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Likewise this one, there are still hotspots but it's nowhere near as bad as it was.

Skalmold by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Another one that only works in monochrome.

Arkona by Iain Compton, on Flickr

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to be shooting a dance company this Friday, I was dreading trying to compensate for their lighting.

Helen Highwater fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 16, 2015

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I had no idea what the gently caress I was doing but I underexposed by a full stop and just pulled up exposure in Lightroom.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Helen Highwater posted:

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to be shooting a dance company this Friday, I was dreading trying to compensate for their lighting.

You shot a concert with an 18-200? Wow, that's something you may want to look into changing up. Cranking up the ISO won't do any wonders for your highlight recovery. With an f/2.8 lens, you could dialed it back from 12800 to 3200 and gained a ton of image quality and dynamic range.

Like I said, tinker around with the software. A lot of times, the information is there, it just has to be brought out. It's a matter of figuring out the method and making it quickly reproducible. I don't use Lightroom, but maybe another Lightroom user here can jump in.

And then sometimes crappy lighting is crappy lighting. Part of learning to expose concert photography well is to take note of how lighting conditions change. If the background is well-lit, you shouldn't have problems with overexposing the subject, but if only the subject is lit and the background is dark, that's a recipe for disaster unless you compensate appropriately. Likewise, if it's all the same colour everywhere, there's only so much you can do to make it look good when everything is a sickly green or red or whatever.

Handling colour was definitely a lot easier back when it was all incandescent lighting, but LED stage lighting is the present and future and we have to adapt.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

HPL posted:

You shot a concert with an 18-200? Wow, that's something you may want to look into changing up. Cranking up the ISO won't do any wonders for your highlight recovery. With an f/2.8 lens, you could dialed it back from 12800 to 3200 and gained a ton of image quality and dynamic range.
I didn't know where I was going to be. I wasn't an accredited photographer, I was just a guy in the audience with a camera. I didn't want to bring a bag of lenses to a metal concert and I had no idea how close to the stage I'd be able to get. As it happened, I was right up against the stage so my 17-50mm f2.8 would have been perfect...

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Currently in Ireland.... 2 shows down, 4 more to go.

The girlfriend even made it on stage!

The XT1 is working out pretty well with the 16-55.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Some random shots from around town, first 4 are a Canon G12, last one is a Canon AE-1 Program, with I forget what kind of film.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Chris Cornell

gently caress front of house shoots.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

I, Butthole posted:

Chris Cornell

gently caress front of house shoots.

Lolol, this is where having a photo pass is loving stupid. You'd be better off snapping a few shots from the aisle while walking to a seat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
This is probably the most intimidated I've been in front of an artist - Shellac did an in-store Q+A and performance (was originally meant to be short Q+A and three songs, turned into an hour of audio talk and five songs) and being that close to Steve fuckin' Albini made me feel real nervous.