Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah, theres no point in targeting you with things you're already heavily invested in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

gdc: cargo pants, black metal shirts, greasy hair, obesity
wwdc: american apparel stripey men's t-shirt, converse [maybe purcells]
rsa: bright colored button-ups, occasional greybeard or "the plague" from hackers
dreamforce: $300 sneakers, lots of raw denim

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

qirex posted:

basically it's not like one company wants all 10 ad slots for the same spot during one hulu show but hulu throws them in because to have no ads if they have none to show is unthinkable

I used to think they showed the same loving ad over and over because they had that little respect for their audience and this just makes it worse

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
You would think hulu would run promos but I guess not.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
they think promos are content not ads.

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
you also would think hulu would be anything other than a dumping ground for nbc's numerous abortions, but here we are

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I paid for the hulu no ads upgrade but it still does these awkward fade-outs where the ads would be on shows that didn't originally have them

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
im the only guy i know who has a hulu sub other than some chick who worked at hulu. idk how they afforded to license seinfeld. holy sh*t

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

and make it especially drawn out an painful for those that specialized in advertising to kids.

advertising to children is some prime evil poo poo

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

i wonder if AT&T might start some kind of ~business partnership~ with SSL cert cartels where they get the keys to spoof websites with and in exchange the cert cartels get a cut of the dank-rear end marketing green

that would be dangerous, it would leave any website that uses a at&t signed certificate vulnerable to mitm attacks. i don't think the EFF would let them get away with that, it would be leaked somehow if it was exploited constantly.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

duTrieux. posted:

yeah

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Nitrocat posted:

that would be dangerous, it would leave any website that uses a at&t signed certificate vulnerable to mitm attacks. i don't think the EFF would let them get away with that, it would be leaked somehow if it was exploited constantly.

poo poo with ads can't even be assed to prevent malicious ones (like the ads on skype that look like part of the skype interface lol wtf MS), what makes you think they'd give a drat their customer's info/passwords/cc#s are being captured by hackers in a mitm attack?

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Condiv posted:

poo poo with ads can't even be assed to prevent malicious ones (like the ads on skype that look like part of the skype interface lol wtf MS), what makes you think they'd give a drat their customer's info/passwords/cc#s are being captured by hackers in a mitm attack?

if it can happen it will happen, but it won't last long.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Necc0 posted:

I used to think they showed the same loving ad over and over because they had that little respect for their audience and this just makes it worse

they probably instantly fired any person who dared propose not showing ads when they don't have any paying ads to show.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
just run a cavalcade text adsense ads during the break instead of running the same freakin papa johns or whatever ad over and over

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
now that i think about it i don't know why ipv6 rollout is so half-assed given that your ipv6 address is a cookie that you can never be rid of

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Dog posted:

now that i think about it i don't know why ipv6 rollout is so half-assed given that your ipv6 address is a cookie that you can never be rid of

21.72% of Americans accessing google do it over ipv6. Belgium leads the world with 36.72%, and Switzerland is second place with 23.65%

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

ufc no longer allows fighters to wear sponsors logos, they made everyone switch to some horrible uniforms designed by reebok

a lot of fighters are still upset about this

they prohibited ads on the fighters (the fighters got the money from those) but they still have ads on the side of the octagon, on the floor, various named floor mats, in presentation product placement, etc, and all of that coincidentally the fighter gets no money but the ufc gets all of it.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

just another thing to thank reagan for

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Broken Machine posted:

Does anyone else know old people who will mention ads they saw on the television because they enjoyed them and found them witty or whatever and you just kind of stare blankly at them because they are old and insane

TIME TO MAKE THE DONUTS

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

21.72% of Americans accessing google do it over ipv6. Belgium leads the world with 36.72%, and Switzerland is second place with 23.65%

how much of that is that Teredo bullshit or whatever it's called?

i'm still really bummed that my loving FiOS fiber line doesn't come with v6 and i have to keep using HE for the foreseeable future. i mean come on guys it's not like you have the excuse of 20 year old hardware or anything :argh:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Best Friends posted:

they prohibited ads on the fighters (the fighters got the money from those) but they still have ads on the side of the octagon, on the floor, various named floor mats, in presentation product placement, etc, and all of that coincidentally the fighter gets no money but the ufc gets all of it.

theres a neverending supply of braindead ufc fighters. gently caress them. im not competing for advertising space with these lowlife rejects -ufc management

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

:goonsay: actually most OS'es will automatically generate random new IPv6 addresses for you every 15 minutes or so and use those for outgoing connections for exactly this reason.

of course this assumes your ISP actually gives you a /64 like it's supposed to and doesn't give you like, a single ipv6 address that you're supposed to NAT like I've heard some idiots have been doing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

how much of that is that Teredo bullshit or whatever it's called?

uh pretty much none? google says out of all their global traffic teredo/6to4 traffic is 0.01% at top times while native ipv6 swings between 9% on weekends to 7% during the week (presumably because residential isps have been quicker to implement ipv6, while a bunch of workplaces are still ipv4)

the peak of teredo/6to4 pentration was 0.20% in december 2009, the last time teredo/6to4 was above native ipv6 was March 14, 2010 when 6to4/teredo was 0.16% and native was 0.15%

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 12, 2015

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean i've been using the same loving HE tunnel that i set up when i was first figuring out how networks worked when i was like 15 and thought it would only be temporary because ipv4 exhaustion was just a few years away and they'd have to switch over then!!!

yes i am butthurt

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

(presumably because residential isps have been quicker to implement ipv6, while a bunch of workplaces are still ipv4)

that seems backwards, like companies would probably find it easier to add ipv6 because they actually have IT staff that knows what the gently caress it means whereas households consider their internet box an appliance that you just plug in and it does magic behind the scenes that makes the netflix get to the TV. i mean i guess if these people are also using the ISP's routers they can push firmware without them knowing and stuff... hm

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
businesses are really excited for all the ipv6 benefits like:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

that seems backwards, like companies would probably find it easier to add ipv6 because they actually have IT staff that knows what the gently caress it means whereas households consider their internet box an appliance that you just plug in and it does magic behind the scenes that makes the netflix get to the TV. i mean i guess if these people are also using the ISP's routers they can push firmware without them knowing and stuff... hm

check it out, the weekend vs weekday breakdown is very clear https://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Shaggar posted:

businesses are really excited for all the ipv6 benefits like:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
good thing the more targeted the advertising is the more it nudges against the uncanny valley which people instinctively recoil from

we aren't ever going to get posters that call you by name when you look at them because they'd be defaced within minutes

btw ip6 adoption creeps in from the highest tiers and peering level, even if you get ipv4 down to your desktop there's basically a 100% chance now that it's encapsulated within ipv6 traffic once it hits your ISP because most peering is done with ipv6 now

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

:goonsay: actually most OS'es will automatically generate random new IPv6 addresses for you every 15 minutes or so and use those for outgoing connections for exactly this reason.

of course this assumes your ISP actually gives you a /64 like it's supposed to and doesn't give you like, a single ipv6 address that you're supposed to NAT like I've heard some idiots have been doing.

yeah but in practice your /64 is static, since there's more than enough /64s to go around. so you have a "household cookie" instead of a user cookie but w/e it's probably close enough

idk what tmobile does because lol @ using tmobile for your cell service but i'm guessing some or all of your phone's address is static.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
also at least on twc if you get a /128 then it means you're granny dhcpv6'ing

not dhcpv6-pd'ing like you should be doing

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Bhodi posted:

good thing the more targeted the advertising is the more it nudges against the uncanny valley which people instinctively recoil from

we aren't ever going to get posters that call you by name when you look at them because they'd be defaced within minutes

btw ip6 adoption creeps in from the highest tiers and peering level, even if you get ipv4 down to your desktop there's basically a 100% chance now that it's encapsulated within ipv6 traffic once it hits your ISP because most peering is done with ipv6 now

"minutes" is charitable.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
v6 of things is when they get really good

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JawnV6 posted:

shame that isn't true of you and your posting!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

yeah, when's jawnV8 gonna start deploying

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

vista is the v6 of wandows.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

vista is the v6 of wandows.

it's either v5 or v7 or v10 or v12 depending on how you count, but not v6 in any of them.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

qirex posted:

yeah, when's jawnV8 gonna start deploying
im technically a v3 or v7 depending on how you count '98SE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nintendo Kid posted:

it's either v5 or v7 or v10 or v12 depending on how you count, but not v6 in any of them.

um excuse me it's the one before 7

duh

• Locked thread