Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

pupdive posted:

Fins are very personal things. I need light fins because I dive with little flotation in my legs (shorties and no wetsuit) often, and I need something I can grab quickly by the side. Also my kicks are all of them (except flutter) , especially when diving all day, including a heavy dose of back kicks when shooting video. I also need a fin that can be worn wihout booties and with, which is a rare thing in fins

I love my fins But they are pricey, and they don't last for poo poo, which is rare for fins. (Fin name redacted, because). But then again 'lasting' is relative 300 dives is more than most people will ever dive. It's a couple months for me. I don't care too much about having to buy new fins/masks a couple times a year because that's just what's needed. Masks break, get crapped out with mold, get eaten by cockroaches. I do go with cheap masks so I don't cry when I have to loan them out and don't get them back. I do not loan out my fins.

Get a computer than fits how you like to wear it underwater. If you want to keep it on all week when diving get a watch sized one. If you have to put on a wetsuit anyway so the computer gets put on as part of gearing up, then watch sized (which means a smaller display) is not so important.

I still like the second generation of bigger wrist computers that stopped trying to be the same size and shape as the depth gauges in consoles. Mares Puck Pro was the first and Cressi, and Tusa , and others also make them. Oceanic still goes either bulky-ish depth gauge size or slim watch size, but they are probably the easiest to get fixed because everyone' and their mother is an Oceanic dealer.

For the computer, get whatever brand your LDS (local dive shop) sells, and choose the shape you want to wear. Because eventually every dive computer will crap out or need the battery changed, and you need a local shop that changes the battery O-Ring and pressure tests the new O-Ring. Suunto is a tricky brand. They no longer allow dealers to change batteries apparently, and they use custom bands that crap out and ruin vacations. I love Suunto computers, but the battery and band choices they have made have made them tricky to count on.

If you are thinking about one computer, you need to think it all the way through and buy two *each*, which means you will probably get at least one watch sized dive computer because it takes up less wrist space, and another one. Eventually any dive computer will fail, even if it just because of the battery, and if you are traveling, your day of diving (or your liveaboard trip) is over the minute your computer craps out on you.

Thank you for the advice. I will start with a brass gauge on my tank, a wrist computer with a big and easy to read screen. Step in fins in the middle of the range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

Trivia posted:

How many dives a day on the boat? That sounds pretty comparable to a hotel + diving, so I may very well look into that.

Not a ton of dives actually, only 3-4: 3 during the day plus 1 night dive. The boat is just fine if you're okay with roughing it. The cabins are acceptable but nothing special, toilets do not flush (you use a bucket a pour salt water in), food is pretty good and plentiful.

We found the divemasters to be meh. My gf and I are experienced so they mostly let us wander off on our own, but we joined the group for one high-current dive where we did a rapid descent and used reef-hooked onto the base of a pinnacle where a bunch of sharks congregate. The current was far and away the strongest either of us had ever seen, including the St. Lawrence river here in Canada, the Galapagos, etc. Several people in the group were pretty inexperienced (10 dives or so) and ran out of air pretty quickly due to excitement, exertion from the descent and hauling oneself along the bottom into position, etc. Once people reached 90 bar or so, the DM instructed everyone to just unhook and let the current take over. The current immediately took the group, including the DM, up and over the pinnacle, about 30 feet above where were hooked into the reef. My gf and I thought this was stupid so we crawled around the base and ascended on the other side where the current was weaker. Fortunately nobody got hurt but it seemed really reckless.

I might go with Dive Komodo instead if you are going out of Labuan Bajo. They had Western DMs, whereas the ones with Divine Diving were locals. We were actually booked with Dive Komodo but their boat had a broken engine so they put us with Divine instead.

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 29, 2015

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Oakland Martini posted:

Once people reached 90 bar or so, the DM instructed everyone to just unhook and let the current take over. The current immediately took the group, including the DM, up and over the pinnacle, about 30 feet above where were hooked into the reef. .... Fortunately nobody got hurt but it seemed really reckless.

(Because I always wonder about how things look from the other side.)

What made you phrase it like that? I guess, the question is what seemed reckless to the point that you thought it was just luck that no one got hurt?

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

pupdive posted:

(Because I always wonder about how things look from the other side.)

What made you phrase it like that? I guess, the question is what seemed reckless to the point that you thought it was just luck that no one got hurt?

Unsafe ascent. The rest of the group immediately --- and I mean in less than a second --- shot up 30 feet or so once the current took full hold of them. After that I lost sight of them as they passed over the top of the pinnacle. The current had a strong "updraft" (I don't recall the proper term) and was honestly too strong for even an experienced, very fit diver to swim against; your mask would rip off if you didn't face directly into (or away from) the current. The sharks couldn't even swim against it.

It honestly seemed like luck alone prevented anyone from getting bent. I could be wrong since I'm not a DM or instructor. All I can say is that I've done a couple hundred dives in a variety of conditions and never been 1/10 as uncomfortable as that made me.

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Sep 29, 2015

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oakland Martini posted:

Unsafe ascent. The rest of the group immediately --- and I mean in less than a second --- shot up 30 feet or so once the current took full hold of them. After that I lost sight of them as they passed over the top of the pinnacle. The current had a strong "updraft" (I don't recall the proper term) and was honestly too strong for even an experienced, very fit diver to swim against; your mask would rip off if you didn't face directly into (or away from) the current. The sharks couldn't even swim against it.

It honestly seemed like luck alone prevented anyone from getting bent. I could be wrong since I'm not a DM or instructor. All I can say is that I've done a couple hundred dives in a variety of conditions and never been 1/10 as uncomfortable as that made me.

:stare: that sounds pretty terrifying. Were you able to descend again after the updraft took a hold of you?

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

Icon Of Sin posted:

:stare: that sounds pretty terrifying. Were you able to descend again after the updraft took a hold of you?

My gf and I didn't follow them. We unhooked and crawled hand over hand to the rear of the pinnacle, then ascended.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Fairly passive posted:

Agreed!

These should be gone by end of October. I hope. People join and leave at almost the same rate. Four steps forward three steps back.

Organising this trip is a loving nightmare. My giant detailed spreadsheet of divers, flights, payments, notes & preferences is my only lifeline. It should be worth it though. Highest marine biodiversity and a total solar eclipse lasting more than three minutes. Longest until 2019.

Oh hey I thought we were straight on til the two US eclipses in 2017 and 2019. Gonna message you on this.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Meh, never mind... I will just ask my local divemaster. ;)

GORDON fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Oct 1, 2015

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
'Ask me about accidentally cutting short my safety stop by 30 seconds and developing Type II DCS following an 18m dive'

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Fairly passive posted:

'Ask me about accidentally cutting short my safety stop by 30 seconds and developing Type II DCS following an 18m dive'

Well?

I'm new (open water class next weekend) and am interested in hearing your story.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

I'm in the process of writing this down. Will say more later.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Approx 1 in 2000 dives that shouldn't result in DCS does anyway. Nobody knows why. I can pretty much guarantee those 30 seconds wouldn't have mattered.

If you wonder how I know this, let's just say that US Navy hyperbaric treatment table 5A is loving boring to endure.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Caconym posted:

If you wonder how I know this, let's just say that US Navy hyperbaric treatment table 5A is loving boring to endure.

Two rounds of Table 6 and a 'short' 2.5 hour follow-up.

I wonder if the 18 dives I completed in the previous 4 days had something to do with it. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Two things worth noting:

1. One promising lead that has worked out is that PFO allows venous bubbles to bypass filtering in the lungs and go into the arterial side. This is, unfortunately, a pretty strong counter-indication to future diving, because the bubbling that might happen on any dive can go straight to the CNS.

PFO: I would link to the article at WIkipedia, but it has gotten significantly less readable over time, and has even worse been subsumed into an even less readable article. Basically the heart pumps venous blood to the lungs, which filters bubbles, adds oxygen, and removes carbon dioxide from the blood, and then the heart pumps that properly prepared blood out through the arteries to the body. A PFO is a small hole between chambers that allows bubbles to drift from the veins to the arterial supply and pumps those bubbles straight to where they can block oxygenation. "Left side down" comes in part from this possible role of the defect.

Unfortunately this is maybe not nearly the complete story apparently even though as much as 25% of the population might have PFO.

2. 'Unearned hits' (the chamber/deco speak for DCS/the bends that develop for no assignable reason) are real, and the reason that actual researchers are more than willing to admit that the scientific foundation of DCS is very much in progress. The (ultra rare, outlier) cases of intro divers developing confirmed DCS after a single short shallow dive (15-20 feet) without lung injury, are among the cases that are real head scratchers.

(Rant on)

Internet divers (who generally don't do hyperbaric research or have any experience working in chambers) "know exactly" why these unearned hits happen. The discussions at ScubaBoard, for instance, about this issue are painfully ill-informed. Most discussions at ScubaBoard are dominated by those who post the most, and dive the least, because their enthusiasm for diving, and their chance to dive don't align, due to real life factors. These posters often end up being both remarkably self-assured, and bizarrely ill-informed. The echo chamber of prolific posting, and the fact that other posters mostly hear those prolific posters unjustified opinions means that there is just a bizarre noise to truth ratio.

(/Rant off)

pupdive fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 5, 2015

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Fairly passive posted:

Two rounds of Table 6 and a 'short' 2.5 hour follow-up.

I wonder if the 18 dives I completed in the previous 4 days had something to do with it. Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Well you were probably loaded with nitrogen. As doctors and some instructors say, the only way to avoid DCS is to not dive at all.
I hope you'll get well soon.

As Pupdive says, there are unearned DCS hits. That's why in these cases the DAN doesn't just study the dive itself, but also the previous dives and any other relevant aspect.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
One dive out of 2,000 is an interesting stat. I'm assuming that is totally independent of previous dive profiles or anything else like hydration or depth or using nitrox? So basically that's saying anyone who dives heavily is destined for DCS at some point? Ouch.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

On Koh Tao, most divemasters and instructors usually dived 500-800 times a year. You're saying statistically if they work for four years, they are going to get DCS? Or does the 1/2000 dives mean over a population, not for any given person?

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Many of the old hand divemasters and boat crew were initially sceptical of my having DCS. Lots of comments like "you can't have DCS - we do no Deco diving" and "I've had all kinds of incidents, dropped weights and stuff. I just get a rash and drink lots of water to recover. You don't even have a rash!"

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Fairly passive posted:

Many of the old hand divemasters and boat crew were initially sceptical of my having DCS. Lots of comments like "you can't have DCS - we do no Deco diving" and "I've had all kinds of incidents, dropped weights and stuff. I just get a rash and drink lots of water to recover. You don't even have a rash!"

Oh, skin bends :allears:

Also, there's a medical app called "Figure 1" where medical professionals around the world post pictures of various conditions (all with patient permission) to use as a learning tool; one of the pics they posted last month was a case of subcutaneous emphysema resulting from a dive. You can hear about these things all you want to, but seeing pictures of the injury puts it into perspective how much your life sucks at that point in time.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

jackyl posted:

One dive out of 2,000 is an interesting stat. I'm assuming that is totally independent of previous dive profiles or anything else like hydration or depth or using nitrox? So basically that's saying anyone who dives heavily is destined for DCS at some point? Ouch.

No. But the only way to guarantee never getting bent is to never dive, or more finely put, to never ascend. I have never (knock on wood) gotten bent even though I am where I could get DCS ten times over by those numbers. It's kind of like thinking about getting injured/killed in a car accident. The numbers are horrific with car safety. It's been the number one cause of death in wide age ranges forever. But no one does not use cars because of safety concerns. They try and maximize their safety in the activity.

In the end, diving has become remarkably safer since the advent of dive computers. We used to 200ft/min rate ascents all the time, because there was no way to measure ascent rates. You will also notice that smart-er people wear two computers because one will fail at some point. People who dive the most always build 10-15 minute safety stops into dives whenever possible, or as above we do the entire dive at safety stop depths. There is usually a section of reef to hang around at.

The years I have done 8-10 dives a day 7 Days a week type numbers though, have been years focusing on intro dives in place with a max depth of like 12-15 feet. (I helped with a 6 foot dive the other day.)

And I don't drink alcohol/smoke anything, and I drink a couple of gallons of liquids a day. And outside of teaching open water, and into diving, I am not chasing people who jet to the surface. And I dive redundant on any dive deeper than 8-10 meters for the same reasons.

Although I say all those things, and do them to ensure safety in the activity, I am also aware that DCS (like drowning) is a real and present danger on every dive. And as careful as I can be, just like with car accidents, I can become a victim through no fault of my own.

Ascent rates, ascent rates ascent rates (Fun fact: other than treatment times, there are only gradual ascents in many/most chambers. Stops are something we as divers put into things because we tend to ascend at ridiculous rates, and have to add in stops to make the ascent rate average out to "not ridiculous".)

pupdive fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 5, 2015

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

jackyl posted:

This was 11 years ago so I'm foggy about the where and how of the 1 in 2000, but it was my distinct impression it wasn't per individual diver, but across the population. And there's definitely individual risk factors. In my case 7 dives in 3 days, max depth 32 m with near max bottom time on the dive before the one that triggered it, max 25 on the one that triggered it but a somewhat up and down profile (we were searching for some specific corals in poor visibilty) and then a drive over 800m hills immediately afterwards. But the 9 other divers with pretty much the exact same profiles never had issues, and I was never in deco on my suunto. So there might be something about me specifially. I've set my computer to plus one notch on the conservative scale and also tell it that I'm diving at 300m altitude to give myself some safety margin, and never had issue since.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
drat, makes me glad that my dive operator in Chuuk had us do extended safety stops after every dive. We did a 3, 5, and 10 minute stop. Seems excessive but I was doing 4 dives a day at an average of 25-30 meters. The deepest one I did was 47.

(I'm working on the photos still).

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Caconym posted:

and then a drive over 800m hills immediately afterwards.

You were diving well outside of deco, and skipped it on (probably) every dive. Because you were diving doing altitude diving without any adjusted depths.

Next time do the first dives with your altitude set to 800m (since that is in fact what you were doing) and you will see what I am saying. You will be into some deco after about 10 minutes on any depth over 20m. And you will owe increasingly long hangs on every subsequent dive, because that's what Suunto's model does to you once you go into deco once, and then continue to dive against their explicit strong counter-recommendation.

Because any algorithm also includes additional rules like don't get on planes, don;t do repetitive deco dives, etc. that are an explicit part of the algorithm

We do even say in Open Water Course wait 6 hours after any dive before going to altitude for a reason, independent of deco algorithm.

Most definitely an "earned" hit.

pupdive fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 5, 2015

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

pupdive posted:

You were diving well outside of deco, and skipped it on (probably) every dive. Because you were diving doing altitude diving without any adjusted depths.

Next time do the first dives with your altitude set to 800m (since that is in fact what you were doing) and you will see what I am saying. You will be into some deco after about 10 minutes on any depth over 20m. And you will owe increasingly long hangs on every subsequent dive, because that's what Suunto's model does to you once you go into deco once, and then continue to dive against their explicit strong counter-recommendation.

Because any algorithm also includes additional rules like don't get on planes, don;t do repetitive deco dives, etc. that are an explicit part of the algorithm

We do even say in Open Water Course wait 6 hours after any dive before going to altitude for a reason, independent of deco algorithm.

Most definitely an "earned" hit.

Maybe unclear, but this was one dive to 25m the day of the drive, the other 6 dives were twice a day over the 3 days before. The altitude also didn't happen for a few hours after the dive (but not a full 6 hours), and the symptoms didn't appear untill the next morning (light tingling in my entire right arm). The nevrologist and the chamber tenders (firefighter rescue divers) and my very safety oriented club all agreed this was unearned tyvm.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
The point is that you were returning to a surface of 800m altitude. So you have to plan the dive as that. Divers don't get bent on depth but once they reach the surface, so ignoring where the surface is the same as not planning the dive.

Diving at altitude without following altitude procedures like that, is not in the unearned category. Not that it makes it any less painful or anything.

It's right there in the Open Water manual for a reason, along with not holding your breath, and watch your gauge. Wait at least six hours until going to altitude. Ignore the basic assumptions of decompression theory, and all bets are off, and don't expect any deco algorithm to work.

Plenty of people dive with no tables or computers and never get bent, or even SPGs, and never get bent or hurt, so it's not like I am calling you names or anything. But it's not even close to coming under the "Why did this happen?" area of decompression research. Tourist get bent all the time driving over the mountains after diving in Hawaii. It's a VERY well known and VERY common mechanism, and thus it's put into the Open Water manual. It's not even close to being controversial. Except to your dive club, apparently. Talk to people working in chambers though, and well, that's one of the things that keeps them in business in certain places. Apparently, in general, it's not that possible to dive and go to altitude, but it is all over the Pacific, so we take it seriously, to the point of driving around, instead of over the mountains if we dive.

It's important to note that the fact you took a hit and your friends did not has nothing to do with anything. Most ill-advised behavior has no real consequences. But when the consequences happen, the fact that some suffer them, and some don't is just the way accidents happen. It does not mean they are unexplainable.

pupdive fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 5, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

pupdive posted:

(Fun fact: other than treatment times, there are only gradual ascents in many/most chambers. Stops are something we as divers put into things because we tend to ascend at ridiculous rates, and have to add in stops to make the ascent rate average out to "not ridiculous".)

I've never heard it said that way. Mrs Squashy is going to start her Open Water training soon, I'll be sure to share this with her.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Caconym posted:

Maybe unclear, but this was one dive to 25m the day of the drive, the other 6 dives were twice a day over the 3 days before. The altitude also didn't happen for a few hours after the dive (but not a full 6 hours), and the symptoms didn't appear untill the next morning (light tingling in my entire right arm). The nevrologist and the chamber tenders (firefighter rescue divers) and my very safety oriented club all agreed this was unearned tyvm.

I don't understand why all those people are ignoring basic Open Water manual stuff, like pupdive said, but take a look here too:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ask-dr-decompression/284179-going-home-2500-elevation-after-diving.html

For instance (2500' is 762m):

quote:

After two dives (long dives, but within computer limits) in Kona ending by early afternoon, we drove to Waimea for dinner, about 2500'. This was at least 3+ hours after the last dive. In the restaurant I started feeling a bit strange, and upon leaving an hour or so later, I got hit with transient vertigo and double vision walking to the car. Went away within a minute or two, but it got my attention. Took the short way down to the coast and all was fine after that, but no way will I go above 1000' again until I have had more than just a few hours after long, deep dives like that. Had the PFO fixed, but I ain't taking chances with what hearing I have left.

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Aquila posted:

Oh hey I thought we were straight on til the two US eclipses in 2017 and 2019. Gonna message you on this.

PM enabled. Although at the moment I wouldn't trust my ability to run a whelk stall...

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

eviljelly posted:

I don't understand why all those people are ignoring basic Open Water manual stuff, like pupdive said, but take a look here too:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ask-dr-decompression/284179-going-home-2500-elevation-after-diving.html

For instance (2500' is 762m):

Goddamn, I've done exactly this, dive in Kona then to Waimea for dinner. :stare:

I actually brought the elevation question up to the instructor who recommended the restaurant, and he said I'd be fine. I was, but still.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've never heard it said that way. Mrs Squashy is going to start her Open Water training soon, I'll be sure to share this with her.

This change in understanding is behind PADI's new materials emphasis in saying "no-stop diving" rather than "no deco diving". Because every dive involves decompression, even if it is just that which takes place during ascent.

That amount of off-gassing during ascent is mathematically significant even when the not fully nitrogen loaded from long or deep dives., even independent of the tendency of fast ascents to cause bubbling otherwise.

To use decompression algorithm terminology, the fastest loading/unloading theoretical compartments (those not usually included in table/computer algorithms) will be saturated on any dive of any length to any depth. The question is of course whether that mathematical model is representing some factor in the real world or not. It seems like it is but...

[quote="Luceo" post=""451062513"]
I actually brought the elevation question up to the instructor who recommended the restaurant, and he said I'd be fine. I was, but still.
[/quote]

If only we instructors would understand that we are not scientists, lawyers, or doctors. As wise minds always say at this point, we dive instructors don't even have to graduate high school to become diving instructors, and we are under no professional obligation to keep abreast of current knowledge, once we become instructors.

But the thing is, that's no big deal, because our job is to help (coach) people develop good in water behavior. And do so in a way that is more efficient than students learning everything from scratch, through trial and error.

Everything else, we should just point people to the materials, since we so often clearly have not actually read even the basic open water manual materials ourselves since we got our own Open Water licenses. (Truth bomb: I have met only one other instructor who has actually sat down and watched the new PADI Open Water videos, or fully read the new PADI Open Water books. And they did so to compare translations between different language editions.)

The unfortunate thing that your instructor did was fall prey to confusing the fact that we can get away with dangerous behavior almost all the time with the idea that getting away with it makes it appropriate/prudent. Accidents are rare enough in general that we as humans tend to confuse these things. People almost never get bent going to altitude right after diving , because people rarely get bent in general (even if they break all the rules).

Most people who smoke don't get lung cancer, or heart disease. Most people who drink and drive don't get in accidents and kill people.

And to add to the confusion, people who don't smoke still can get lung cancer and heart disease. And people who are not drunk kill people in car accidents, and divers who follow all the rules can still get bent.

Still, it's prudent not to smoke, not to drink and drive, and it's prudent to follow general deco procedures, including not going to altitude after diving.

Life is confusing like that.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, newb question regarding the logistics of a simple diving trip:

I used to scuba as a teen with my bio-dad who was a rescue diver for NASA.... I never bothered getting certified back then because he said I didn't have to. Did probably 50 dives over 3 Summers in the springs of Florida (where he taught me) and wrecks out in the Atlantic and reefs off the Keys once he saw I was a strong diver.

20 years later I am going to get certified with my kid this Winter, and we are doing a road trip to Florida to hit some of the springs where I learned to dive. This is the first dive trip I ever had to personally organize.

As such:

We will be hitting the Ocala National Forest north of Orlando, starting in (very easy dive) Alexander Springs so I can make sure my kid is good to go, then off to Blue Springs for something (very) slightly more challenging. We are keeping it simple for our first trip so I can evaluate my kid's skillz and to figure out the little details of doing a dive vacation.

So, my local Ohio dive shop guy says we should just rent tanks and gear down in Florida instead of trucking his down (we are driving). The cost of a week-long rental doesn't bother me, but how do I find, ahead of time, a dive shop near that park in Florida where we can rent gear and refill tanks? I am capable of playing things by ear but having a plan is better.

If we want to do a couple dives a day, should we refill tanks in between or just rent a couple extra for the second dive and take them back after?

I understand these are very newb questions. Sorry.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
If you are getting certified through a legit agency then presumably it would be through a dive shop which can also hire out gear. That's usually how it works.

Or are you diving without certification?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Red_Fred posted:

If you are getting certified through a legit agency then presumably it would be through a dive shop which can also hire out gear. That's usually how it works.

Or are you diving without certification?

Getting PADI certified in Ohio this Spring by the guy who owns the dive shop. Taking a drive to Florida the month after. The dive shop guy said yes we can rent his gear, but we'd be better off renting it down there. "Don't worry, dive shops are everywhere down there," but, you know. I like to plan ahead.

edit - And even if I rent in Ohio, I still need to know a place down there to refill tanks. I'll probably just rely on google to tell me a nearby place once I get down there.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Oct 8, 2015

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
These are good smart questions, and **NOT** just newb questions. When you get certified, your instructor will spend time telling you how to dive in your area, but we instructors simply don't know everything about every area, and even if we did, it would be too much info to hit people with in a simple certification class.

Concentrate on having fun, not trying to remember how to plan diving. Thus:

My recommendation is in general to use local facilities for rental, and hire a guide for the first day of diving at each new place, (or even for every day). One thing that varies dramatically from place to place is exposure protection (wetsuits/drysuits/rash guards). And once wetsuits vary everything else can follow suit, from how you suit up, how you weight, what kind of tank you use, etc etc etc. Diving in a drysuit is different enough that there are special classes and certifications on it.

Personally speaking, I would suggest everyone do their first day of diving in a new area with a guide of some sort, even if they are experienced instructors in their home area. As you and the son will both be new divers, you should consider it close to required. There are massive differences between surf entries, freshwater springs, and massive differences between diving with a 7 mil farmer john and jacket and 30 lbs, and standard 80s and steel 80s, etc. etc. And that is ignoring the whole point of diving in the first place which is to see stuff and have fun, which is best done with someone who knows the sites and procedures down cold.

Don't spend several thousand dollars on a dive trip and try and save the tiny bit of money you might save by not hiring a guide for a couple of days, and then losing a day of diving due to some logistical slip-up. We are well worth it just for the logistical support, and added safety, but we are even more worth it for the additional fun.

(Instructor advice on training with family members here. Remember you are getting certified to learn to dive, and you are not teaching your son to dive, (nor are you qualified to do so). Trust me it's changed a lot since you did it last; to the point that you should consider yourself as having zero experience. Make sure you are letting the instructor do his job, and concentrate on your own skills and your own fun; and not on what your son is doing. Everything is more fun that way. I have trained very few father/son or father/daughter teams where the young one was not much, much better in the water, and yet almost every father wants to try and teach what they themselves are having trouble doing. Moms, on the other hand, tend to underestimate their own skills, which makes them the best students of the bunch.Kids are good but tend to not pay attention because it is too easy.)**

pupdive fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 12, 2015

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I encouraged my girlfriend to get a license, and she did so when we went to Hawaii. I did everyone a favor by not joining her during her lessons, opting instead to help her out with any skills after her classes were over.

The dive instructor actually thanked me for it as he regaled me with stories of past couples who ended up fighting and souring the whole experience.

Much like pupdive has said, don't forget that you're both students. Spend the extra bucks to go to a shop that's convenient and has a good operation / guides. Let them do the stressful parts for you. There has yet to be an instance where I've spent the money and regretted it.

You'll have a great time.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Nah, I am not a helicopter Dad... I let the coach be the coach on the soccer field, and I am more than willing to let the expert dive instructor be in charge of teaching my kid how to dive.

But thanks for the other advice, I will look into a local guide. I never thought of that.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Day one pool dives over - So far so good

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

My wife and I survived our first five dives to 65 feet. Taking a day off to relax and then we are going back for two more days of boat diving.

Now I need a computer, regulators and a cool knife (scissors).

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Forget the shears, you need a good 3ft knife with a brass handle to strap to your leg and look like a proper 'ard bloke. Also to use to hammer portholes off wrecks you can mount over your fireplace.

I think I've spent too much time with old British divers recently...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I bought a blunt-tipped titanium dive knife that straps to my leg. I know that a smaller set of wire cutters or shears or whatever they are called that fit in a BCD pocket make more sense, but it's something I've always wanted and makes me feel like 70s James Bond when I'm strapping it on.