Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

DStecks posted:

Unless I'm taking crazy pills this was the Sims business model from day one, people bring it up every game like it's some insane new excess from the bowels of EA, and not that EA isn't lovely, but if you've been playing them since the beginning, honestly, you should know how it works by now.

Of course, I was always the guy who just bought the base game and was happy with it, since I hardly played it enough to get bored with the content it had.

here's the thing, though. the Sims is one of those games that doesn't grow enough graphically, or in terms of features, over time to justify dropping your DLC collection. expansions, sure. hell, expansions that retweak the game for less tedium/better play time? gently caress yes. but to purchase a new Sims game when you already have say, Sim 3 with all the DLC is actively paying $60 to downgrade your gaming experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
so is Sims 4 worth playing or not, nobody has actually answered the question

also is Sims 3 worth playing

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

precision posted:

so is Sims 4 worth playing or not, nobody has actually answered the question

also is Sims 3 worth playing

baseline sims 4 has less content than sims 3 and also runs much worse so it's not worth your time

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

corn in the bible posted:

baseline sims 4 has less content than sims 3 and also runs much worse so it's not worth your time

Baseline sims 4 runs a lot better than sims 3 though :confused:

Especially compared to a sims 3 with all the expansions.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
For what it's worth, I like Sims 4 a lot more than Sims 3 just because it's better optimized and isn't struggling to process everything all the time.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Sims in 4 are hotter and more fuckable.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Allarion posted:

For what it's worth, I like Sims 4 a lot more than Sims 3 just because it's better optimized and isn't struggling to process everything all the time.

oh, its good that they patched it up then. all i know is that on release it was a shuddering nightmare

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Reminds me of the Megatraveller games. Such janky old RPGs, the character generation system was the best I've ever seen though.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

net cafe scandal posted:

The Sims in 4 are hotter and more fuckable.
But are they more anime?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Great Joe posted:

But are they more anime?

At regular intervals they turn to face the camera and whisper "uguuuuu"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As long as you have the right mods.....

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

post your pics thread is in a different subforum

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

guitar hero and rock band

Would you kindly state, or better yet, link YouTube videos of the tracks in question?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Would you kindly state, or better yet, link YouTube videos of the tracks in question?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVZSP57YfIM

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

While hilarious, that is not a chart.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

At last, I can play guitar just like Lil Wayne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBM1LCZKkQg

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Real hurthling! posted:

post your pics thread is in a different subforum

Don't be such a square

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Don't be such a square

I didn't realize Ryu let the dragon out that early in BoF 4.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 12, 2015

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
reminds me of that redditor who got in deep poo poo at his school for calling himself part of the "master race" (in reference to pc gaming) in a letter that was part of a school pen-pal exchange with another school in germany, and he had no idea why he might have gotten in hot water for saying something like "member of the master race"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

so how is mario maker holding up a month after release? i'm interested in the game but i get the sense from youtube that most of the creative energy of the user base is going towards frustrating kaizo levels instead of something i want to play.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Real hurthling! posted:

so how is mario maker holding up a month after release? i'm interested in the game but i get the sense from youtube that most of the creative energy of the user base is going towards frustrating kaizo levels instead of something i want to play.

actually most of the top levels are automatic mario stages that play themselves for you. most of the bullshit-kaizo is in 100 mario challenge on expert, but occasionally some slips down to normal, but not much. but kaizo levels are not the majority, i would say.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Unguided posted:

Reminds me of the Megatraveller games. Such janky old RPGs, the character generation system was the best I've ever seen though.

it's far less story-laden than megatraveller but if you like old crpgs then it's pretty solid actually. you have a ship which you can upgrade with your salary from the missions you do, which get increasingly complex and start including story stuff and walking around bases and so on. check it out yo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

sombody tried to buy the board game cuba libre (about the 1958-9 revolution) using paypal and they held up his account

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Paypal are a bunch of assholes, will gently caress your transactions/money up at the drop of a hat to cover their rear end... news at 11

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
paypal is so bad i frequently wonder why the gently caress anyone at all hasn't tried to usurp their monopoly

and no i don't mean bitcoin i mean a serious attempt

Unguided posted:

here's my story about megatraveller 2: the zhodani conspiracy or w/e it's called. i was like 13 and i bought the game and installed it and spent 2 solid hours making my party and when i tried to actually play the game it crashed because that's what old CRPGs excelled at

i never got to play it. i think i might have returned it, back in the glorious days when EB games would take an opened PC game back if you said "it doesn't work on my computer"

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Games are so realistic these days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSCKP8luiFw&t=160s

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

precision posted:

paypal is so bad i frequently wonder why the gently caress anyone at all hasn't tried to usurp their monopoly

and no i don't mean bitcoin i mean a serious attempt

here's my story about megatraveller 2: the zhodani conspiracy or w/e it's called. i was like 13 and i bought the game and installed it and spent 2 solid hours making my party and when i tried to actually play the game it crashed because that's what old CRPGs excelled at

i never got to play it. i think i might have returned it, back in the glorious days when EB games would take an opened PC game back if you said "it doesn't work on my computer"

the thing is, most of those skills don't do anything. you were supposed to look in the manual and see which actually appear in the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Real hurthling! posted:

Most of the top rated level are auto play garbage that plays crummy renditions of songs from other games. There are lots of cool levels to be played, but the odds of finding them through the game itself is low. Goons have made lots of good ones and have a big list of them compiled in the thread for the game. I'm sure there are other websites that do the same.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So is there some stupid guide on how to hex edit game saves?

because I have no idea what I'm doing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKtSVrdsM0g&t=185s

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I like games. I don't like ability trees.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

I hope there are enough minorities and strong female characters who are not attractive for Polygon to feel okay about enjoying it

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
on the contrary, i actually hope its full of powerful guns, epically huge niggers to shoot with them, and the kind of fresh, incisive criticism of gender theory that can only come from dangerous young minds untainted by higher education

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

You can spend XP on Land Nitrous, which lets you hit a button to speed up cars, or you can spend XP on Water Nitrous to do the same in a boat, or you can spend XP on Air Nitrous to do the same in a plane.

What the gently caress is wrong with just introducing abilities when they become relevant to the game in some way? Why gate them behind some backwards playtime wall?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJXULtV9dkw

Great Joe posted:

You can spend XP on Land Nitrous, which lets you hit a button to speed up cars, or you can spend XP on Water Nitrous to do the same in a boat, or you can spend XP on Air Nitrous to do the same in a plane.

What the gently caress is wrong with just introducing abilities when they become relevant to the game in some way? Why gate them behind some backwards playtime wall?
Remember how "going extra fast with the sprint button" was just something every vehicle could do in Battlefield 4, and then in Hardline it became an ability you had to buy with XPees and equip on your character?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

on the contrary, i actually hope its full of powerful guns, epically huge niggers to shoot with them, and the kind of fresh, incisive criticism of gender theory that can only come from dangerous young minds untainted by higher education

poo poo like this is why progressive is a bad word now

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Avalanche Studios was apparently working on Tremors game that got cancelled. I'm interested in how a Tremors game would work, but I don't think they were the best studio to recreate the adventures of Bert and co.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Remember how "going extra fast with the sprint button" was just something every vehicle could do in Battlefield 4, and then in Hardline it became an ability you had to buy with XPees and equip on your character?
Sorry, I don't make a habit of buying bad games.

• Locked thread