Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I wish I had that problem.

Out with the ST, in with that sweet, sweet Cayman S.

Yeah but gently caress having a wife that refuses to roll a Focus ST

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

8ender posted:

She is what people think of when they think "Porsche Owner." See also "BMW Owner."

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What's the ST demographic in the US?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bape Culture posted:

30 year olds that think they're clever for discovering Top Gear and think they know the ring because they saw Sabine Schmitz do it in a panel van.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bape Culture posted:

People who want a fun, practical car and don't care about badges. This also makes some people on the internet invent fantasies so they can rage against them. They should drive a Focus ST, it would lower their blood pressure lol.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

MrYenko posted:

Keychat, and also extremely terrible car stuff:

The 2004-2006 Pontiac GTO key.

Roughly the same size as an oil tanker, and non-retractable, with a radio range of about ten feet, and a non-removable, non-rechargeable battery with a circuit design that wiped the key's electronics if you removed the battery for replacement. It was easily the worst part of what was otherwise a pretty great car.

(You could cheat and solder a 1.5v source to the terminals, swap the battery, and then remove the source, but seriously, what the gently caress.)

Yeah, that's the holden commodore key of that era of course, so GM USA did nothing but use the Aussie key. My partner has a 2005 VZ commodore with the same key.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

fyodor posted:

People who want a fun, practical car and don't care about badges. This also makes some people on the internet invent fantasies so they can rage against them. They should drive a Focus ST, it would lower their blood pressure lol.

I had a 2006 ST and it was pretty unremarkable. I just needed a cheap car good on gas and I found it for a good price. I ended up trading it with over 220k miles on it. Pretty good little car but nothing special.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
That was the boring ST though, was it not?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, that's the holden commodore key of that era of course, so GM USA did nothing but use the Aussie key. My partner has a 2005 VZ commodore with the same key.

As far as I'm concerned, I wish they'd import more Holdens here with zero changes, they're far better cars than the majority of the stuff they sell here. My GTO was the best GM product I've ever driven, up to and including my Z06. I still kick myself for not trading the GTO in on a G8 GXP and then keeping it forever.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

Roughly the same size as an oil tanker, and non-retractable, with a radio range of about ten feet, and a non-removable, non-rechargeable battery with a circuit design that wiped the key's electronics if you removed the battery for replacement. It was easily the worst part of what was otherwise a pretty great car.

(You could cheat and solder a 1.5v source to the terminals, swap the battery, and then remove the source, but seriously, what the gently caress.)

I was so relieved to see a page about key battery replacement in my Peugeots manual. They just tell you straight up " hey this is how you open it up, you need this kind of battery " None of that "take it to the dealer, they'll know what to do and happily charge you for it" bullshit I've seen on other cars.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

bigbillystyle posted:

I had a 2006 ST and it was pretty unremarkable. I just needed a cheap car good on gas and I found it for a good price. I ended up trading it with over 220k miles on it. Pretty good little car but nothing special.

Your car had 150hp and 154 ft-lbs of torque. The 2015 ST has 252hp and 270 ft-lbs of torque.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Depends on what market - the non USA ST had that five cylinder turbo out of a Volvo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

dissss posted:

Depends on what market - the non USA ST had that five cylinder turbo out of a Volvo.

He's an American. He didn't have that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

MrYenko posted:

As far as I'm concerned, I wish they'd import more Holdens here with zero changes, they're far better cars than the majority of the stuff they sell here. My GTO was the best GM product I've ever driven, up to and including my Z06. I still kick myself for not trading the GTO in on a G8 GXP and then keeping it forever.

The Chevrolet SS is just a Commodore, and the rest of the Holden range is just rebadges of GM stuff from elsewhere.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

8ender posted:

When we see a Focus ST, we see a cheap, practical hatchback that's fun to drive. When non-car people see the Focus ST, they see

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Everyone in the uk with an st was generally a big pikey fucker with a neck tattoo and a 16 year old girlfriend.
Thanks to jaguar now a ton of permys have them cause they are insanely cheap on the scheme and maybe the uk image can be fixed.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Everyone in the uk with an st was generally a big pikey fucker with a neck tattoo and a 16 year old girlfriend.
Thanks to jaguar now a ton of permys have them cause they are insanely cheap on the scheme and maybe the uk image can be fixed.

This is pretty much the UK fast ford image, although i've never seen a non fat bald angry looking Cossie owner.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
All I have to say is the Fiesta ST is one of the most fun cars ive ever driven.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Shai-Hulud posted:

I was so relieved to see a page about key battery replacement in my Peugeots manual.
Both my key fobs have a notch in them to pry them open for a new battery. Glad I don't have to deal with any money-grubbing bullshit like that...

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 13, 2015

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

fyodor posted:

Your car had 150hp and 154 ft-lbs of torque. The 2015 ST has 252hp and 270 ft-lbs of torque.
Ha. Well there you go. Thats a bit of a difference. I guess I missed the year we were talking about, oops.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've never owned a car with over 200ish horsepower (I think my Jeep has 190ish with the 4.0HO but with as many miles as it has on it I'm sure that's no longer the case) and never really felt like I needed more.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Residency Evil posted:

When we see a Focus ST, we see a cheap, practical hatchback that's fun to drive. When non-car people see the Focus ST, they see

That's really not what they see. They see a Ford Focus. They don't know what ST is and any of the aggressive styling looks so similar to every other Focus on the road that they all blend in.

When non car friends learned that I'd bought a Fiesta ST they didn't know what it was and were incredulous that a car guy like me would be driving a shitbox Fiesta after knowing previous cars I'd owned.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

I've never owned a car with over 200ish horsepower (I think my Jeep has 190ish with the 4.0HO but with as many miles as it has on it I'm sure that's no longer the case) and never really felt like I needed more.

I had a 94 Suburban with (from the factory and without 200,000 miles of neglect) 210 hp... and it was adequate, weighing more than 2 tons. A few times I drove a 2004 Wrangler with the 4 liter and a five speed, I found it to be uselessly overpowered for suburban traffic, including that stupid intersection where I had fifty feet to accelerate to 60 mph. The tires were bone stock but they just couldn't take it and broke loose, and suddenly I was up to speed and that was it. That fucker was rated at 190 hp new IIRC, which really oughta be plenty this side of a track day. My present dailies are a 160 hp Focus and a 315 hp Suburban and they're a coupla rocket ships for all I can tell. I'd probably be even faster with the Focus if I was better with a manual.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GutBomb posted:

That's really not what they see. They see a Ford Focus. They don't know what ST is and any of the aggressive styling looks so similar to every other Focus on the road that they all blend in.

When non car friends learned that I'd bought a Fiesta ST they didn't know what it was and were incredulous that a car guy like me would be driving a shitbox Fiesta after knowing previous cars I'd owned.

Non car people are just so bad at cars it is staggering.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

PCOS Bill posted:

Look at this scrub.

Friar Zucchini posted:

I had a 94 Suburban with (from the factory and without 200,000 miles of neglect) 210 hp... and it was adequate, weighing more than 2 tons. A few times I drove a 2004 Wrangler with the 4 liter and a five speed, I found it to be uselessly overpowered for suburban traffic, including that stupid intersection where I had fifty feet to accelerate to 60 mph. The tires were bone stock but they just couldn't take it and broke loose, and suddenly I was up to speed and that was it. That fucker was rated at 190 hp new IIRC, which really oughta be plenty this side of a track day. My present dailies are a 160 hp Focus and a 315 hp Suburban and they're a coupla rocket ships for all I can tell. I'd probably be even faster with the Focus if I was better with a manual.

You know you don't have to put the pedal all the way down all the time, right? The Wangler is super happy puttering along, and it has a little bit of power when necessary.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 13, 2015

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
On the flipside of that, my bike can hit "Your bike is going in the nearest compacter, enjoy all these yellow commendations" speeds before redlining second gear so I guess I just put my fun in a different basket

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

PCOS Bill posted:

On the flipside of that, my bike can hit "Your bike is going in the nearest compacter, enjoy all these yellow commendations" speeds before redlining second gear so I guess I just put my fun in a different basket

This is why I enjoy slow cars.

Felony speeding in second gear without a thought ruins your scale of fast.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

my Focus ST is a normal puttering whatever car until i push the pedal in a bit more and it becomes a smile factory.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PCOS Bill posted:

Owning a litrebike killed my desire to own any kind of 'fun' car except the tiny underpowered kind.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Friar Zucchini posted:

Both my key fobs have a notch in them to pry them open for a new battery. Glad I don't have to deal with any money-grubbing bullshit like that...

Same here, slide a dime/penny in, twist and pop open, and they run on the CR2032 batteries forever. Plus it's nice not having the stupid TPM sensors that people complain about, I just watch my tires and check periodically if any look low, no annoying, expensive sensor to replace.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Ozz81 posted:

Same here, slide a dime/penny in, twist and pop open, and they run on the CR2032 batteries forever. Plus it's nice not having the stupid TPM sensors that people complain about, I just watch my tires and check periodically if any look low, no annoying, expensive sensor to replace.

That's all well and good until you find some clueless PO has broken the clip and subsequently superglued the key back together.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

Owning a litrebike killed my desire to own any kind of 'fun' car except the tiny underpowered kind.

Yeah it would take one hell of a car to get me to care about "fast car" and then it wouldn't have the "economical-ish" of a bike

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The most powerful 'motorcycle' I've ridden had I think 8hp and I definitely don't think it needed any more. Could have done with some working brakes though.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeah it would take one hell of a car to get me to care about "fast car" and then it wouldn't have the "economical-ish" of a bike

Yeah when I rode a bike, it cost me a bit over 4k and the single time I was beaten by a car it was a 911 996 Turbo, which was something like a $450k car here at the time. You get it out of your system pretty quickly.

^^brakes are pretty pro, in my opinion.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

MrYenko posted:

The upside to that key is that when I was carrying that around, I felt like in a pinch, it could be used as a rudimentary weapon. I figure if you punched someone in the eye with that, it would probably penetrate into the frontal lobe.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

PCOS Bill posted:

Thats where I think you go a bit wrong with the comparison.
For the price of your average middle of road boring sedan you can get a loving screamer of a bike. The dynamics are completely different, its a whole seperate experience outside of both being engine driven and on rubber wheels. Imo its apples to oranges.

Granted if your sole want is 'go fast' a bike would win 999 times out of 1000. That one time is when you want to break that 350 km/h barrier where the air is liable to throw you off your bike if you give it any kind of surface area to act on you.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

MrYenko posted:

If the VZ era impressed you, you are going to be glad you never tried a ford falcon. Way way way better car. Better interior, feels more solid, better brakes, better dash computer, cruise and HVAC controls, better power window switches, even better glovebox :D seriously - what's up with that wonky poo poo glovebox?
They came with a ZF 6spd auto option too, and of course the turbo i6.

The main problem I've had with mine (falcon) was the BTR 4spd auto, but getting the ZF 6 spd option would fix that.
So just be glad you never got to try one before they were discontinued, you'd miss them a lot more than a VZ era commodore.

Every time I jumped from my falcon into the VZ, I was not impressed.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Oct 13, 2015

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

PCOS Bill posted:

Bro.... let me tell you about owning a sick bike.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Motorcycles are indeed terrible CAR stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Ozz81 posted:

The new TPS systems don't have in-wheel sensors. :science: