Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Dryb posted:

I had that happen when i de-opted out of the beta and my saves weren't compatible with the older version. Are your computers the same version of ck2?

I only have the one computer, those autosaves are supposed to be for the game I'm playing right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So my mother was a Scottish Queen. No big deal, nice to have an ally. Eventually she croaked and was replaced by some random dude (Elective Monarchy). I've always been a candidate for election to the Scottish throne, but was never that popular.

Anyways, some years later, I'm fighting in Ireland for control of a county I have a claim on when the King of Scotland decides HE wants to press a claim HE has for that county, making us hostile to eachother due to conflicting claims. Our armies eventually meet and I crush him thanks to a numbers advantage. With his army destroyed, a faction in Scotland that wanted to put me on the throne now had enough military power compared to him to force the King to abdicate, making me the King of Scotland Alban. :scotland:

Uh, thanks dude, I guess? :shrug:

This is gonna be a mess if I want to try to keep it. Though I suddenly realize that with my son having a claim on the Dutchy of Mumu/Munster I suddenly have a real shot at forming an Empire if I can just hold onto Scotland long enough to form the Kingdom of Ireland... Doubt it though, my son isn't a favored candidate for the Scottish throne (I'm, perhaps unsurprisingly, not that popular in Alban) and my current ruler is getting old and is stressed. [edit] Nevermind I'd need to control 80% of the Isles to form the Empire of Britannia, not just 3 Kingdom titles.

My greatest political coup to date was completely unintentional...

[edit] Wait, Count of Ferrara?! Where the gently caress is Ferrara and why am I count of it?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 11, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Wait, Count of Ferrara?! Where the gently caress is Ferrara and why am I count of it?

It's in Italy. You're count of it because I presume that your wife holds the title (I can tell from your screenshot that she's landed), making you count to her countess.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I figured that out after doing a search for the title. I don't remember setting that up intentionally.She's my third (I think?) wife, so I guess I don't have to worry about what the hell Wales would do with an Italian county under its control.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I figured that out after doing a search for the title. I don't remember setting that up intentionally.She's my third (I think?) wife, so I guess I don't have to worry about what the hell Wales would do with an Italian county under its control.

Not that it really matters - you could always just hand it off to some random Italian poo poo and grant him independence. Random inheritances that you don't really remember how you set them up are at least a bit of a divergence from random poo poo going wrong, and it could even give you an incentive to do something special with that random inheritance if you were getting bored with your current situation.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Do hordes join crusades?

Because the two biggest just rapidly switched religions, in what seems to be shaping up to be an actually sorta equal fight between Islam and Christianity for once.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Ughh, my Duchy of Mann went with the Scots when my ruler died because its a De Jure part of their Kingdom. In return I got to keep Ulster, but the old fart of a count who rules there is the father of the new King of Alban Scotland... :argh:

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Do hordes join crusades?

Because the two biggest just rapidly switched religions, in what seems to be shaping up to be an actually sorta equal fight between Islam and Christianity for once.
They can if they're the right religion. I got Anatolia that way in my previous horde game.

On the subject of Crusades and holy wars, how can I request one? I'm playing as Jewish Khazaria, have restored the High Priesthood and Kohen Gadol, which according to the Wiki is good enough, but I still don't see any "Request Crusade" diplomatic option on either the Kohen Gadol or the various rulers I can call against. So far as I can tell there's nothing else preventing holy wars; I am currently at peace, willing to spend 500 piety, neither vassal of nor truce with the target, ETC. What am I doing wrong?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

darthbob88 posted:

They can if they're the right religion. I got Anatolia that way in my previous horde game.

On the subject of Crusades and holy wars, how can I request one? I'm playing as Jewish Khazaria, have restored the High Priesthood and Kohen Gadol, which according to the Wiki is good enough, but I still don't see any "Request Crusade" diplomatic option on either the Kohen Gadol or the various rulers I can call against. So far as I can tell there's nothing else preventing holy wars; I am currently at peace, willing to spend 500 piety, neither vassal of nor truce with the target, ETC. What am I doing wrong?

What year is it? If it's before the 900's your Holy Wars won't activate until Crusades and Jihads are activated.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

What year is it? If it's before the 900's your Holy Wars won't activate until Crusades and Jihads are activated.
949, and I have also seen both a Crusade and a Jihad against Aquitaine. Also, shortly after I asked, a Great Holy War was called against Egypt, so obviously they can occur, my concern is how I can request one. Especially since once I take over Egypt, there's only one other kingdom that a GHW might be called against, and honestly I'd rather give that to my friends in the Petty Kingdom of Semien.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

darthbob88 posted:

949, and I have also seen both a Crusade and a Jihad against Aquitaine. Also, shortly after I asked, a Great Holy War was called against Egypt, so obviously they can occur, my concern is how I can request one. Especially since once I take over Egypt, there's only one other kingdom that a GHW might be called against, and honestly I'd rather give that to my friends in the Petty Kingdom of Semien.

Ah, if I recall, only Norse and Zoroastrians can actually request Great Holy Wars. The AI will decide when to call for the other religions.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Do I have to destroy titles when revoking them from vassals as a nomadic clan? I subjugated Kiev and revoked the high chiefdom of Kiev and somehow lost my nomadic status. Every time I play as a nomad I always lose nomadic status some how and it's really pissing me off. Is there a detailed guide to horde mechanics anywhere so I can really familiarize myself with it?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I think it's actually only Norse, and that's because the player that reforms Norse becomes the religious head and can declare GHWs themselves like the Caliphs do Jihads.

As far as I can tell only Christians bet the Request Crusade option to attempt to direct an AI religious head's choice of target - I've played enough Zoroastrian Persia games to see it if they got that option too.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Ah, if I recall, only Norse and Zoroastrians can actually request Great Holy Wars. The AI will decide when to call for the other religions.

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think it's actually only Norse, and that's because the player that reforms Norse becomes the religious head and can declare GHWs themselves like the Caliphs do Jihads.

As far as I can tell only Christians bet the Request Crusade option to attempt to direct an AI religious head's choice of target - I've played enough Zoroastrian Persia games to see it if they got that option too.
:( Well shucks. Guess I'll just have to stick with the other methods of taking over vast swathes of enemy territory as a nomad.

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Do I have to destroy titles when revoking them from vassals as a nomadic clan? I subjugated Kiev and revoked the high chiefdom of Kiev and somehow lost my nomadic status. Every time I play as a nomad I always lose nomadic status some how and it's really pissing me off. Is there a detailed guide to horde mechanics anywhere so I can really familiarize myself with it?
There's the wiki, obviously, and this Steam guide, but not sure how helpful either will be. For your particular question, I don't believe you need to destroy titles you revoke, and probably shouldn't considering you get prestige for having them. The best method I've yet found to prevent spontaneously settling down is to always be at war, since the "Settle as Feudal/Tribal/Republic" actions only pop up during peacetime.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ok, now what happened, I was in charge of the Magyar Empire and my character died, I had an heir, and when he took charge he was dropped down to king and my rival tribe took over. I wasn't at war with them and my horde was 10x the size of theirs.

edit: I loving hate this game sometimes.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Hey, is there a good modern tutorial somewhere for best practices when playing ck2? I watched arumba's tutorial series awhile back, but its out of date now probably. I did a ireland game and a norse game before Charlemagne, but dont know to do well anymore. also maybe some suggestions of some easy-medium starts. i'm playing around with a 1066 king of galicia start right now, but some more would be nice.

edit: i just found that arumba did a spain game recently. i guess ill watch that

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 12, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A pretty easy start is Rostov in 1066. You only need a bit of piety to form the kingdom of Rus and there's like half a dozen other Rurikid states around you. Not only will those join your wars but you also start with claims on most of them and can easily get claims on the rest. You are a bit tribal but that just means a lot more troops to steamroll everyone with.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So for some reason, I am not getting the little jingling update at the top of the screen for when children in my family need an education. I tried resetting the message settings but that hasn't restored it either. Anyone know what's causing this and/or how to fix it? Kind of impossible to keep track of when all these kids come of age otherwise.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Question: How many of you have tried the Karl Karling Charlemagne start?

Second question: To those that answered yes, how many of you hate this smug piece of poo poo?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You think you hate him.

Try doing it as Karloman...

Edit:

I'd forgotten how awful it was to be on the receiving end of a planned invasion. Thank you, dude invading from Rome, for rubbing my face in it by invading from my fav place too. 25K dudes attacking a W-Francia that can barely rub together 13 and that was with all my sweet levies. You couldn't have attacked the Muslim part of Aquitaine either could you? Dickbag. Next up will probs be another invasion from the Empire of Hispania.

Just waiting on the crusades now I suppose. They upped it to 900 or what? 800?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 13, 2015

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Holy Roman Empire 1066 or Byzantium East Roman Empire Charleymangey/Old Dogs/1066, which would be better/more fun for playing a 1-count nobody vassal and trying to claw my way to being somebody? Or somewhere/sometime else?

lightinwater
Jan 1, 2014
Getting my tribal Magyar to the point where both forming the Carpathian Empire and converting to a merchant republic are possible got me thinking about gaming the system to protect the empire title from the doge election. The elected doge gets the top title(s) of the realm on election but what happens if a patrician manages to gain an emperor title in a kingdom level republic?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I tried to absorb a clan, they declared war, I stomped them thoroughly and yet they're still a clan. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Just found out you have to go back to the clan page and select absorb clan again.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
When you reform a pagan religion, do you have to keep the holy sites or can you just grant them independence afterwards if you don't want to deal with them?

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Ok, my situation is I'm playing the shattered worlds mod and I picked the guy at the bottom most county of the Munster duchy. I just took the second county needed to form the duchy and buy the title (not done so yet) and need to wait out a truce for the third one but I have a problem; the county I took has a claimant (originally it had two but one foolishly accepted an invitation to my court and... well...) who I can't seem to touch at all. He won't accept an invitation to my court of course, and my plot to kill him will only achieve around like 30% power. I've already borrowed money to raise an army to take the county and I have about 50 left. How do I get this guy?

To summarize; dude has a claim on my county (a random fuckoff guy) and plot power is too low to actually do anything if I wanted to kill him and he won't join my court via invitation. I just thought of something, if I arrange a marriage to a female courtier in my court he comes to my court, right? I'm pretty darn inexperienced at this game here, I only know a few basic tips and things to do from the old tutorial LP.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 13, 2015

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Playing as the Carpathian Empire, I finally managed to get a conversion event for one of the interesting Catholic heresies (Catharism). It seems like an odd choice to make it so easy to fabricate a claim on Rome when the Pope isn't likely to have any political allies to help him defend his county. I might get holy warred to death later on, but for now I'm amused to place a 17-year-old girl as the head of the bishopric of Rome. Also to convert Rome to Catharism :laugh:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
It's been a while since I last played CK, but shouldn't annexing the pope be a big "kick me" sign for the offender? The HRE blobbed Rome without any kind of repercussions.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Esroc posted:

When you reform a pagan religion, do you have to keep the holy sites or can you just grant them independence afterwards if you don't want to deal with them?

You can grant them independence without un-reforming. If that's what you're asking about.

However, if they are attacked and conquered by other religions then you'll need to be prepared to deal with the authority hit.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

FreudianSlippers posted:

A pretty easy start is Rostov in 1066. You only need a bit of piety to form the kingdom of Rus and there's like half a dozen other Rurikid states around you. Not only will those join your wars but you also start with claims on most of them and can easily get claims on the rest. You are a bit tribal but that just means a lot more troops to steamroll everyone with.

Alright I'll try that next

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Tafferling posted:

It's been a while since I last played CK, but shouldn't annexing the pope be a big "kick me" sign for the offender? The HRE blobbed Rome without any kind of repercussions.
All that matters is that the pope controls Rome, and an empire can have a vassal pope.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
There's another very vague dev diary. "More character interactions" and a white flag icon on a retreating army.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

No more chasing down defeated armies and utterly annihilating them in a series of one-sided battles, perhaps?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

No more chasing down defeated armies and utterly annihilating them in a series of one-sided battles, perhaps?

EUIV style? Sounds plausible.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

How is it that some pissant vassal can not only imprison his emperor but then go on to blind her (me)? And why isn't this fixed when I immediately arrest his rear end and chop off his loving head? How do you get out of jail in cases like these?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

That would be nice. Even in Vicky 2 you could give a retreat order to a distant province and your troops would go the whole way there, uninterrupted, rather than just the next county over and getting immediately wiped.

I'm hoping the "more character interactions" coupled with the "pacts" tab from the dev diary image means we'll finally be able to make political bargains of some kind. I know that they mentioned more ways of forming alliances besides just through marriages, but I'd love if you could make deals under elective monarchies to get people to vote for your chosen heir.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I kind of wish they would just hold off on dev diaries if they're going to be so cryptic that they say effectively nothing, but I'm also a grump.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CK2 Dev Diary: We might have done something. Maybe.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

McGavin posted:

CK2 Dev Diary: We might have done something. Maybe.

Except to the Hellenic religion.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Except to the Hellenic religion.

The what? I don't know what you're talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

McGavin posted:

The what? I don't know what you're talking about.

I think there's one character in the earliest start date that has the Hellenic religion, which is the classical greek religion. Some people keep clamouring for mechanics or additions, and the devs never do.

I think it's Groogy that posts here that takes particular delight in not adding anything for it.

It's just funny in my opinion.

• Locked thread