Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

nm posted:

He's gonna spend a long time looking for a cat on a 1972 bug.

edit: I would be curious if you could add a cheapo OBDI cat to the car to pass emissions.

I didn't know what year it was from :v: eBay cheapo cat would probably help a lot, then - I don't think there's any law against adding emissions control equipment to vehicles...

OBD versions are irrelevant to cats, fwiw. Cat doesn't care if it's being monitored or not. Cat just does its thing.

Geirskogul posted:

Last year I had it to Idle: 87/400 HC and 0.83%/4.2% CO, and 241/400 HC and 2.12%/5.50 CO under load. Then I put a new carburetor on it and everything is hosed.

Yeah, I wonder if I could find a cat for less than $140 or so and slap it on there or something. But the beetle's exhaust system is cramped:

Could I, say, cut and weld in two of these?

https://www.catalyticconvertersonline.com/p-1975-volkswagen-beetle-universal-federal-catalytic-converter-150714

You totally could. Why two, though? One should be plenty, if you can find somewhere to weld it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

MustardFacial posted:

I'm going to loving stab someone tonight.

Your girlfriend, with your cock? HEY-YO

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Geoj posted:

"Our target market leases for two years or less and will get rid of the car long before this becomes a problem."

Also bear in mind this is coming from the same parent company that thought cheating on emissions testing was a sound business strategy so...

Don't forget 10k mile oil changes (or is it 15k?)

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Turns out my Focus order was one of the first 5 placed on the West Coast. Neat.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nm posted:

Which year?
The V6 turbos have two major issues: the turbos (which need an engine pull), unless changed to something non-OEM will fail (a rare case of more power=more reliable) and they leave oil like a sieve. The automatic transmissions are poo poo and the manuals are kind of ok, but will fail under high power. Also, it is a B5 audi A4, so the suspension components will fail and the interior will have fallen apart.
The V8 is arguably worse because all the timing components are on the back and they have some other issues. Not that jalopnick is a reliable source, but: http://jalopnik.com/here-s-why-the-v8-audi-s4-is-an-awful-used-car-1676466510
They're all money pits, but a manual 2.7TT with turbos already done is probably the least money pit of them.

meatpimp posted:

Most stereotypes about Audis are true. Great cars if you have the time, skill and space to work on them yourself. Twin turbo cars are notorious for oil feed problems, which necessitate engine removal or subframe drop. V8 cars sound absolutely awesome, but are prone to timing chain issues. Solution? Remove motor.

Edit: Here's a picture of a timing chain setup from an S4. Note that this is the side that faces the firewall.

Okay welp maybe I don't want to deal with that

Her mum read an article about the station wagon with the rear facing seats coming back and now that's all she can think of, and for whatever reason she doesn't like most Japanese cars

Idk when she started caring about what kind of car I drive so lol @ me

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

literally a fish posted:

I didn't know what year it was from :v: eBay cheapo cat would probably help a lot, then - I don't think there's any law against adding emissions control equipment to vehicles...

OBD versions are irrelevant to cats, fwiw. Cat doesn't care if it's being monitored or not. Cat just does its thing.

You totally could. Why two, though? One should be plenty, if you can find somewhere to weld it in.

Just because of how the beetle's exhaust is set up, it has each set of two side pipes joining into one that both join into the resonator. I have dual exhaust out of the resonator -- how would I modify the cat? Take off the tips, weld one shut, and pop the cat onto the other one? I thought they had to be close to the engine to get hot.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
This was my final test today. I achieved this by retarding the ignition a little (I had previously advanced it), opened up the idle air adjust and leaned it out, and cranked the idle up the incorrect way by adjusting the idle stop screw so it idled around 1500-1700 or so.

Last year was easy peasy, but it was a tiny Solex 31 PICT with an adapter so the car made no power.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tusen Takk posted:

Her mum read an article about the station wagon with the rear facing seats coming back and now that's all she can think of, and for whatever reason she doesn't like most Japanese cars

You know what have rear facing seats? AMG wagons (well, as an option).
I'm sure they have thier own poo poo, being 100k station wagons when new, but drat.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Geirskogul posted:

Just because of how the beetle's exhaust is set up, it has each set of two side pipes joining into one that both join into the resonator. I have dual exhaust out of the resonator -- how would I modify the cat? Take off the tips, weld one shut, and pop the cat onto the other one? I thought they had to be close to the engine to get hot.

They do have to be close to the engine to get hot enough to work - two of them welded in as close to the exhaust port as possible (pre-resonator, or even temporarily remove res and replace it with a cat?)

You'd definitely need to weld the catcon into the exhaust system, you wouldn't just be able to hang it off the back.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
...put the old carb on for the test?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Long gone :(

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nm posted:

You know what have rear facing seats? AMG wagons (well, as an option).
I'm sure they have thier own poo poo, being 100k station wagons when new, but drat.

Yeah I can imagine :(

I chatted with her and I guess she doesn't like Subarus because they look like kids cars and also because being a red blooded American girl raised in Michigan, she doesn't like Japanese cars (but is okay with German for whatever reason)

Anyways she's okay with a happy medium of hatchbacks like the Focus RS (not going to be an option for a while) or the smaller Audi wagons.

I have a few years before I need to worry about it so oh well

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

W124 and W201 Mercedes E-class wagon has rear-facing seats, but the W201 was a bit crap in general, so don't bother with it. P2-chassis and older Volvo wagons have rear-facing seats too, but it was an option so not every wagon has them.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I'm really nervous about dropping $35k on a new car (2016 WRX Limited, Lapis Blue, Navigation and upgraded sound).

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

My advice is dont bother, once someone pulls a gun everyone is hosed and if there is an active shooter situation its gonna be hard for the cops to figure out who the baddie is and you might end up capped.

if you do security work maybe open carry is better because then people know you have gun and are less likely to start poo poo.

if you are set on concealed carry get a 1911 because they are pure sex

E: the only americans i know are my cousins and they are black so they wouldnt even consider something like that

Jesus christ don't carry a 1911. They've made vastly better carry pistols in the last century, that don't weigh three goddamn pounds. Back when I carried in Texas, I went with a CZ compact 9mm or a J-frame .38SPC , and it wasn't too bad.

I don't bother anymore, though. Iowa's violent crime rate is so low that the only time I generally need a handgun is when I want to shoot squirrels with my .22.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I don't know that there's anywhere in a beetle exhaust system that's far enough from the engine to have issues lighting the cat, unless you ran pipe to the frunk and put it there. You could literally put one on the end of the existing tailpipe and have less pipe between head and cat than at least 3 of the cars I've owned.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I should keep a log of every car I really want each day. Yesterday was a Delorean. Today was a Beck Speedster. I'm sure I'd get some repeats and it'd be interesting to see which answer gets the tallest bar graph at the end of a year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Well, I didn't know what a Beck Speedster was until right now and now I really want one so gently caress you.

:mad:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

blk posted:

I should keep a log of every car I really want each day. Yesterday was a Delorean. Today was a Beck Speedster. I'm sure I'd get some repeats and it'd be interesting to see which answer gets the tallest bar graph at the end of a year.

Volvo C30, but in 2007 before it was used in a stupid vampire movie for teenage girls that made me hate them.
Also in 2007 I didn't do anything with my car that necessitated a hatchback so the silly tiny glass hatch wouldn't have mattered back then.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Tommychu posted:

I don't know that there's anywhere in a beetle exhaust system that's far enough from the engine to have issues lighting the cat, unless you ran pipe to the frunk and put it there. You could literally put one on the end of the existing tailpipe and have less pipe between head and cat than at least 3 of the cars I've owned.

Yet for some reason even the tailpipe tips don't get that hot. I think it would be funny to roll in with one tailpipe tip welded shut and a small 12" cat welded to the other one, though. Just sticking out of the back there.

I've submitted my second application to Hagerty, as the same coverage as I get from Progressive through them is like $11/month vs $20/month (158/year). I hope they approve it this time; last time (last year) they didn't allow cars to be in anything other than a full locked garage, but this year there are a lot more options on their application and they even have the Super Beetle vs the regular Beetle as separate options in the dropdown lists.

Though they don't have a bus in there. I'm assuming you'd have to consult with them on a bus because buses are a lot more expensive.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

14 INCH DICK posted:

My boss's boss, the regional manager, was here on an OSHA inspection and they walked up to me and asked if there are any unmarked containers of storage we have they can correct before the state inspection occurs and I not only asked "do I count as an unlabeled container" but the fart I felt brewing cooperated and ripped out the longest, loudest, splatteriest fart I possibly could have ever done on the spot without making GBS threads myself.

:golfclap:

I've learned not to trust my louder farts. :sigh:

Tusen Takk posted:

yeah the paint is rough as poo poo

drat son, I have something like twice the miles on mine, if not more (and only 1 year newer), and the paint looks almost new (except on the side skirts, where it's coming off in chunks).

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Day two of none of the other drivers showing up for evening shift. I wonder if they finally went on strike and forgot to tell me.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

You must work with some really awful management for the drivers to keep NC/NS.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My 'popped' lower rib loving suuuuucks. I'm having a tough time resting enough to let it get better.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

some texas redneck posted:

You must work with some really awful management for the drivers to keep NC/NS.

Not really, which is what makes it so odd. Management is super lenient on calling out, regardless of what you're supposed to be doing. I've called out for close shifts and the reaction was "welp, no one else will do it' so they just shut off deliveries at night.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Then they're awful for not firing the people who keep no call/no showing.

As much as I hate to say it, drivers really are a dime a dozen (though good reliable ones are hard to find). They need to start pulling applications and helping some people out the door.

I can understand a NC/NS for an emergency, but it would warrant a call as soon as possible to explain what happened. How many drivers do you guys have?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

some texas redneck posted:

:golfclap:

I've learned not to trust my louder farts. :sigh:

drat son, I have something like twice the miles on mine, if not more (and only 1 year newer), and the paint looks almost new (except on the side skirts, where it's coming off in chunks).

I think the weather up here isn't conducive to having good paint in a plastic car :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tusen Takk posted:

I think the weather up here isn't conducive to having good paint in a plastic car :(

Don't you dare put a dime into that car (besides required poo poo).

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Don't you dare put a dime into that car (besides required poo poo).

Oh trust me I know

All my idiot friends are like DUDE YOUR CAR COULD BE SO FAST but then I remind them that fwd econoshitboxes aren't meant to go fast and are only supposed to get good gas and in this case be quicker than the other econoboxes

Here's to hoping I can sell it to some boy racer for two grand in three years :pray:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tusen Takk posted:

The weather here isn't nice to cars in general. Insane heat (not quite AZ heat, but we have a lot more humidity) and sun in the summer (destroys clearcoat, especially on dark cars, and destroys interiors), plenty of hail in the spring (plus the occasional tornado), plenty of flooding when it rains (see: how I learned what it sounds like when your engine inhales water and pitches a rod through the block)...

MustardFacial posted:

I'm going to loving stab someone tonight.

So this is you?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah I can imagine :(

I chatted with her and I guess she doesn't like Subarus because they look like kids cars and also because being a red blooded American girl raised in Michigan, she doesn't like Japanese cars (but is okay with German for whatever reason)

Anyways she's okay with a happy medium of hatchbacks like the Focus RS (not going to be an option for a while) or the smaller Audi wagons.

I have a few years before I need to worry about it so oh well

Aren't most of the Subaru's in that era built in Indiana? They're definitely more (north) American than anything kraut.

Does Volvo still do the rear facing seats?

Also if you get a 2nd+ gen Forester in upper level trims where everything is actually painted, they look much more grown up.
Do they still make legacy wagons? Those always looked good.

If you're planning on buying something older that you'll be working on, get something you can actually work on.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

mafoose posted:

Aren't most of the Subaru's in that era built in Indiana? They're definitely more (north) American than anything kraut.

Does Volvo still do the rear facing seats?

Also if you get a 2nd+ gen Forester in upper level trims where everything is actually painted, they look much more grown up.
Do they still make legacy wagons? Those always looked good.

If you're planning on buying something older that you'll be working on, get something you can actually work on.

Oh gently caress I totally forgot about the legacy wagon :getin:

And yeah I'm still planning on getting some sort of fun car to tear around in and work on, otherwise I'll play more video games and I think she'd prefer the car :laugh:

Edit: man I owe you a beer

:fap:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 13, 2015

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I made some fuckin' delicious cheesy foccacia.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tusen Takk posted:

Oh gently caress I totally forgot about the legacy wagon :getin:

And yeah I'm still planning on getting some sort of fun car to tear around in and work on, otherwise I'll play more video games and I think she'd prefer the car :laugh:

Edit: man I owe you a beer

:fap:

Should I tell you what I've had to fix on the LGT or leave you to your dream?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Geirskogul posted:

This was my final test today. I achieved this by retarding the ignition a little (I had previously advanced it), opened up the idle air adjust and leaned it out, and cranked the idle up the incorrect way by adjusting the idle stop screw so it idled around 1500-1700 or so.

Last year was easy peasy, but it was a tiny Solex 31 PICT with an adapter so the car made no power.

Drive it over to Palm Springs and I can chill by the smog machine and give you 5 gas analysis all day long while you tweak poo poo!

Speaking of, does it only give you CO and HC? Oxygen and CO2 are great diagnostic tools for emissions. High CO suggests a fuel issue, so a new carb would fit the profile of why you are having issues. Can you find (a) new jet(s) and trouble shoot at all? I see you tried to run lean, but it doesn't appear to have worked since your CO went up... Adjusting your idle higher could also help since you seem to pass the higher rpm test without an issue.

Credentials: I barely passed the first test in my CA clean air car course for emissions testing certification.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

nm posted:

Should I tell you what I've had to fix on the LGT or leave you to your dream?

Nah I'd rather know what I might have to deal with, plus after seeing the S4 I don't think it could be as bad

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Are the NA Legacy wagons just as bad or is it just the turbos?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This is the best commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYWhdLO43Q

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

man since i pulled the AFC off a few weeks ago i think ive pretty much given up on ever making my car fast

it's a solid chassis but making any cost-effective power gains requires so much up front investment id be better off just selling it and buying anything with driver rear wheels

gently caress man. im attached to this car but i also want racecar.

not that it matters im like 3 years out from doing anything regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

leica posted:

Are the NA Legacy wagons just as bad or is it just the turbos?

Don't buy a naturally aspirated subaru, i dusted a 2.5 impreza with my ancient volvo like 2 days ago.

• Locked thread