Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
then handed the entire loving thing over to google and apple while plugging their ears and screaming the Canadian national anthem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ahmeni posted:

then handed the entire loving thing over to google and apple while plugging their ears and screaming the Canadian national anthem

even microsoft's doing better than them which is hillarious

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

also i don't think they did much to get carriers pushing data, they were building edge only devices and telling everyone how great their low data usage was way past the point it became obvious they had lost their market.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
browsing the web on a black berry using edge "tolerable" just loving lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
blackberries were garbage for anything other than email and bbm. they may technically be considered smartphones, but none of those other features were usable in any way

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

The Management posted:

blackberries were garbage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
no, none of this revisionist bullshit.

they were email pagers with increasingly broken and poorly implemented features tacked on over the years. they ran like rear end and did nothing but messaging even remotely well. their mdm solution was such a ridiculous mess of hacks that it managed to use more resources and be less stable then early 2000s exchange.

they were poo poo from a butt and their only "advantage" was their early entry in the market

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
it's not revisionist, I'm not saying any of it was any good at all. it was all a nightmare for the consumer and the enterprise but it made the carriers a pissload of money selling data bundles and set the stage for the other smartphones to start thrashing

you can see the death throes of this in the blackberry storm as Verizon was desperate to claw users back to the old cash cow style

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

nobody called blackberries smartphones before the iphone came out. they were blackberries. smartphones were a thing IT nerds used and they came from companies like Palm and HP. it was only after the iphone came and upended the cell phone industry, when everyone wanted a smartphone that blackberry started claiming to have invented the smartphone.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my grandpa had a treo, it was cool

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

my grandpa had a treo, it was cool

your grandpa is loving old

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CamH posted:

your grandpa is loving old

He is dead now.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

He is dead now.

im sorry to hear that

he is in a better place

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
also i remember seeing google map that you can scroll around or some sort on the blackberry and it was amazing in 2006 or so

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

CamH posted:

im sorry to hear that

he is in a better place
a place with no blackberries

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

i remember being a fool and owning a blackberry back in the pre-iphone days on verizon. back then you couldn't use the built-in gps unit with anything buy vzw navigator. gently caress you verizon.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

DaNzA posted:

also i remember seeing google map that you can scroll around or some sort on the blackberry and it was amazing in 2006 or so

do you remember that you had to use a tiny plastic trackball to do it?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Origin posted:

gently caress you verizon.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Blackberry Pearls were huge in the consumer space for a year or two between dumbphones fading out and the rise of iPhone/Android, and they were a shitload of people's first smartphones. They were pretty crap but so was everything else in the space then.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

I'm still waiting on the blackberry storm 3!!! now with native exchange integration instead of some weird OWA wrapper app that you hardcoded your credentials in to

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

in case anyone forgot, rim's solution to bleeding customers like mad to the iphone once activesync support was released and IT not putting up BES servers was to take your OWA credentials, send them either to your carrier or waterloo (not sure which, whoever actually owned the BIS gateways) where the gateway would log in to your OWA account and form a persistent connection where it looked for new items in your inbox, parsed them, and then reformed the message in to whatever the native mail client used and shipped it down your BIS conduit. it's a miracle that poo poo never got hacked

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

in case anyone forgot, rim's solution to bleeding customers like mad to the iphone once activesync support was released and IT not putting up BES servers was to take your OWA credentials, send them either to your carrier or waterloo (not sure which, whoever actually owned the BIS gateways) where the gateway would log in to your OWA account and form a persistent connection where it looked for new items in your inbox, parsed them, and then reformed the message in to whatever the native mail client used and shipped it down your BIS conduit. it's a miracle that poo poo never got hacked
Doesn't Microsoft's Outlook app for iOS do practically same thing? Minus the java

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

wyoak posted:

Doesn't Microsoft's Outlook app for iOS do practically same thing? Minus the java

yes. there is literally no reason for it to exist either

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

wyoak posted:

Blackberry Pearls were huge in the consumer space for a year or two between dumbphones fading out and the rise of iPhone/Android, and they were a shitload of people's first smartphones. They were pretty crap but so was everything else in the space then.
that was my first cell phone, full stop. on that basis it was merely ok. in retrospect it was absolutely the worst and i can't believe i didn't just get a razr or something

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

wyoak posted:

No, it has a self-contained activesync connector that bypasses the system one but its still a proper connection instead of some OWA hack. Similar to what the Good mail app does

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No, it has a self-contained activesync connector that bypasses the system one but its still a proper connection instead of some OWA hack. Similar to what the Good mail app does

if that's the case then they rebuilt it. it wasn't an owa hack before but it did store your credentials in the "cloud" backend, pull the mail to that, then push to the outlook app. so your credentials were still being stored on someone else's server, which is problematic.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

That could still be the case. Our bigger concerns was the app allows you to completely bypass the exchange security policies so we banned it outright for that alone. You do have the problem with apps only being able to run in the background for a limited period of time and forming the activesync connection from a server and then sending push notifications down from there to your phone would get you around that problem. I never bothered tracking down exactly where the connection was being initiated from, though I do trust MS to handle credential storage better than rim

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

That could still be the case. Our bigger concerns was the app allows you to completely bypass the exchange security policies so we banned it outright for that alone.

yeah, this is also a major issue, no remote wipe or pin enforcement either. it's such a horribly bad idea in general, i have no idea why they made it other than our brand

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

yeah, this is also a major issue, no remote wipe or pin enforcement either. it's such a horribly bad idea in general, i have no idea why they made it other than our brand

it was an acquisition of a 3rd party mail app that did a few nice things so they rebranded it was outlook and rolled with it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

wyoak posted:

Blackberrys Pearl

ft4u

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

this hasn't been discussed yet?

quote:

At a panel interview at Code/Mobile, BlackBerry CEO John Chen has said that the company might quit the hardware business if it isn't profitable by next year. He said that he "never says never" to shutting down its device business and perhaps focus entirely on providing security services to other platforms.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/08/blackberry-could-shut-down-hardware-division-if-not-profitable-b/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lol "security services", from the company that hands out its private keys to any country that threatens to ban them.

CamH
Apr 11, 2008

i heard blackberry is coming back in a big way

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

wyoak posted:

The Dodge Neon/Pontiac Sunfire/Chevy Cavalier of phones. After putting up with one of those as a first phone, you move to Apple/Android (Honda/VW, respectively), and never look back.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

lol "security services", from the company that hands out its private keys to any country that threatens to ban them.

THIS IS UNFAIR. THIS INTERVIEW IS OVER

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mister Macys posted:

The Dodge Neon/Pontiac Sunfire/Chevy Cavalier of phones. After putting up with one of those as a first phone, you move to Apple/Android (Honda/VW, respectively), and never look back.

thanks for this, a car analogy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
ah yes, those other platforms that need blackberry's software and are also willing to pay for it. I can think of so many, such as

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Origin posted:

i remember being a fool and owning a blackberry back in the pre-iphone days on verizon. back then you couldn't use the built-in gps unit with anything buy vzw navigator. gently caress you verizon.

I have no idea how they got away with it but it was hella lol because the "gps" (actually mobile station based assisted gps) was fully functional but internally the required host was set blank and vzw navigator could just init the driver with its own host and be fine.

in canada they pulled the same poo poo with a rebranded vzw navigator but would get pissy if you used the telus host but the Verizon host worked fine

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The Management posted:

ah yes, those other platforms that need blackberry's software and are also willing to pay for it. I can think of so many, such as

pockets of Canadian government that haven't wrestled fully free and creative accounting of qnx partners perhaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

ahmeni posted:

in canada they pulled the same poo poo with a rebranded vzw navigator but would get pissy if you used the telus host but the Verizon host worked fine
i had one of these on Telus. the. solution was that you had to download some navigation software from tomtom or something, run it, then uninstall it (you had to pay to actually use it). then the gps would work.

• Locked thread