Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Awwww. What a good mama hen.

You sure you don't need to go buy the chick a couple of new playpals to keep her company? :angel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Velvet Sparrow posted:

I'll see if I can make this a condition of giving them my blessing.

See if you can get them to put his full name and title of Weedcat; His Majesty, King Fluffypants in there somewhere :allears:.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

^^^ Absofreakinlutely.

Inveigle posted:

Awwww. What a good mama hen.

You sure you don't need to go buy the chick a couple of new playpals to keep her company? :angel:

Ah Inveigle, our little resident enabler...

Yes, that chick *clearly* needs company, at least three more.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I'd do it, but it's so late in the season I have no idea where I'd even find more chicks.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Broody may finally have given up but now a 2nd girl is molting... I'm getting one egg a day from four hens, and they're from the stupid easter egger who molted last year and has decided not to molt this year, much to my chagrin because she's still missing a ton of neck feathers from earlier in the summer. If she doesn't get some feathers on her neck before too long, I may need to crochet her a scarf. :sigh:

Lynza, that is an adorable momma and baby :3

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Does anyone know any hatcheries that have a decent selection this time of year?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Faerunner posted:

Broody may finally have given up but now a 2nd girl is molting... I'm getting one egg a day from four hens, and they're from the stupid easter egger who molted last year and has decided not to molt this year, much to my chagrin because she's still missing a ton of neck feathers from earlier in the summer. If she doesn't get some feathers on her neck before too long, I may need to crochet her a scarf. :sigh:

Lynza, that is an adorable momma and baby :3

She can join Pong, one of my 12 year old Frizzle banties. Pong has decided to molt ALL of her fluffy body feathers but KEEP her white stick-like feathers so that she looks like a pink, naked pincushion stuck through with white hatpins.

Downright creepy.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I'm still a little gobsmacked at our first natural birth.

I'm wondering, though... the baby doesn't take anything from me unless Mama gets it from me and 'bok boks' at him to take it. Should I separate them at some point? I feel like that would be pretty lovely, honestly, since I have no other chicks for him to hang out with.

I figure he'll get plenty of handling from us anyway, so it'll probably be OK.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Lynza posted:

I'm wondering, though... the baby doesn't take anything from me unless Mama gets it from me and 'bok boks' at him to take it. Should I separate them at some point? I feel like that would be pretty lovely, honestly, since I have no other chicks for him to hang out with.

Well duh, baby knows not to take candy from strangers unless mom says it's ok :3:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Random photo off imgur:

Found my mum showering one of the chickens. Because, why not?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Too many tears to make a real post. Had to put down Sunshine today with her giant floppy comb. She fought her illness hard but in the end she couldn't shake it off. I loved you, you stupid white bird. RIP next to your two friends under the big oak in back.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 13, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

R.I.P. you beautiful chicken you! :angel:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Inveigle posted:

R.I.P. you beautiful chicken you! :angel:

Luckily I'm off today, because after doing the deed I have been chugging Eagle Rare. Half a bottle of bourbon is a good send off for a good hen I think.

Hellacopter
Feb 25, 2011

spookygonk posted:

Random photo off imgur:

Found my mum showering one of the chickens. Because, why not?

Why not indeed, I'd totally do it. It's been so muddy here lately and because our dirt is red, all my light chickens are stained and gross looking. I was tempted to take some inside and wash them. :spergin: So far I haven't done it because I know they'll be dirty an hour later but it's driving. me. crazy.

Somebody in my area is giving away this adorable silkie mix rooster. Unfortunately I have too many roosters and not enough space so I've been banned from getting any more useless chickens until spring.

This is the most perfect lavender silkie I've ever seen. :3:

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Seems to be the season for death, I had to put down one of the ISA Browns, two courses of antibiotics and she still couldn't get over her pneumonia. RIP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSZ-jwiALr4

http://imgur.com/IhA7Evd

My raised garden bed has become a outside rec room, working on making a larger enclosed outside place for them too. They devoured the lawn.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
So one of our mystery mixes running around the barn was raised (stolen by, actually) our Cochin, Pants. Pants raised three beautiful girls, now named RoadRunner (a mostly black and brown mutt), Mohawk (a brown and black amerucana looking thing with a mohawk), and weirdest of all, Joker. Joker has the most colors I've ever seen on a single chicken, and is a wonder of genetics. However, she's quite shy, and it's hard to get close for a photo. Here's the best I could do.

This zoomed-in camera phone image does not do Joker justice. She's got a mix of black, iridescent, grey, dark and light brown, and white yellow legs, and red wattles. She's a true mystery.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Whoa what the gently caress is going on with that miniature's feet?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

So one of our mystery mixes running around the barn was raised (stolen by, actually) our Cochin, Pants. Pants raised three beautiful girls, now named RoadRunner (a mostly black and brown mutt), Mohawk (a brown and black amerucana looking thing with a mohawk), and weirdest of all, Joker. Joker has the most colors I've ever seen on a single chicken, and is a wonder of genetics. However, she's quite shy, and it's hard to get close for a photo. Here's the best I could do.

This zoomed-in camera phone image does not do Joker justice. She's got a mix of black, iridescent, grey, dark and light brown, and white yellow legs, and red wattles. She's a true mystery.

That she sure looks like a he.

Also that horse does have some hosed up looking hooves.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Whoa what the gently caress is going on with that miniature's feet?

yeah what the heck

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Suspect Bucket posted:

how old is "she" because thats a rooster dude

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Too many tears to make a real post. Had to put down Sunshine today with her giant floppy comb. She fought her illness hard but in the end she couldn't shake it off. I loved you, you stupid white bird. RIP next to your two friends under the big oak in back.

:sympathy: aww Errant Gin Monks, so sorry for your loss. What a gorgeous hen... (((hugs)))

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
[quote="Kharnifex" post="451402608"]
Seems to be the season for death, I had to put down one of the ISA Browns, two courses of antibiotics and she still couldn't get over her pneumonia. RIP.

Sorry for your loss Kharnifex This is a bad time of year for losses. :sympathy:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Yeeaaahhhh...joke's on you, Joker is a beautiful rooster.

So sorry about Sunshine, and the little ISA Brown girl. :( We're having an issue with Linc, our unofficial Head Hen (she doesn't really work at it), a Barred Rock. Wheezy and not responding to the Albon prescription...what antibiotics did you use? I'm concerned about a resistant strain of pnuemonia...

Getting really sick of dead chickens around PI...:mad:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

So sorry about Sunshine, and the little ISA Brown girl. :( We're having an issue with Linc, our unofficial Head Hen (she doesn't really work at it), a Barred Rock. Wheezy and not responding to the Albon prescription...what antibiotics did you use? I'm concerned about a resistant strain of pnuemonia...

Tell GWS to stop making such awesome recipes then

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Kharnifex posted:

Suspect Bucket posted:

Wow, he reminds me of the weird hybrid roosters I found, the little top knot and the cheek fluff, very nice!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The hosed up mini is Nugget. He has 4 inoperable club feet. He's a rescue. He was left on a field full of full sized stallions for years. He left with club foot, the stallions left without their testicles. He's a little destroyer he is. Don Quixote, the mini donkey, has 2 front club feet. He was from a similar situation, left for years in a field full of goats. No vet or farrier care for either for years. Happy news though, Don's feet might be fixed! We're working with our vet and farrier to see if it can be corrected.

Is Joker a roo? I don't really see it, but I'm no chicken expert. Doesn't have the wattles of their dad. Joker's certainly not acting rooish yet, but we'll keep an eye out.

Joker is about 5 months.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 14, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Happy news though, Don's feet might be fixed! We're working with our vet and farrier to see if it can be corrected.

You know, you said that at the beginning of September, too. Why's it taking so long? And to be honest, I'd euthanize that mini. I looked at the videos and his feet look even longer than they did in September. If they can't be controlled at all, man, that's no life for any hooved animal.

quote:

Is Joker a roo? I don't really see it, but I'm no chicken expert. Doesn't have the wattles of their dad. Joker's certainly not acting rooish yet, but we'll keep an eye out.

Joker is about 5 months.

Wattles aren't the be-all end-all of chicken sexing, and ultimately it takes time for wattles to come in (assuming they even do. sometimes roos have itty bitty wattles.). The feathers, the spurs- that's a roo.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

The hosed up mini is Nugget. He has 4 inoperable club feet. He's a rescue. He was left on a field full of full sized stallions for years. He left with club foot, the stallions left without their testicles. He's a little destroyer he is. Don Quixote, the mini donkey, has 2 front club feet. He was from a similar situation, left for years in a field full of goats. No vet or farrier care for either for years. Happy news though, Don's feet might be fixed! We're working with our vet and farrier to see if it can be corrected.

Joker is about 5 months.

Dude ere isn't a hen in the world that has a tail of sickle feathers like that and those slick hackle feathers dealing their necks. That boy is a straight up roo. A really pretty one but definitely a rooboy.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You know, you said that at the beginning of September, too. Why's it taking so long? And to be honest, I'd euthanize that mini. I looked at the videos and his feet look even longer than they did in September. If they can't be controlled at all, man, that's no life for any hooved animal.

Well, I'll bring it up with my boss, but I've a hunch she'll disagree. He gets around all right, does not seem to be in pain, evaluates well with the vet and farrier (as well as a genetic nightmare like him can), and seems to enjoy himself.

It's taking so long because we can only get our super busy and popular farrier by every 3 months. Don and Nugget do get trimmed, their hooves have been getting shorter. This is also not a good picture of the state of his hooves. They have also been like this for years, even before we got them. If they do go downhill, there is the kindest thing to do, but the little bastards seem to be holding out.

This is not my farm, by the way. I volunteer here. I go twice a day to help out with feeding and chores, I also try and help out with managing other volunteers. It's not quite my domain to shoot everyone, burn the fields and dance around cackling.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Dude ere isn't a hen in the world that has a tail of sickle feathers like that and those slick hackle feathers dealing their necks. That boy is a straight up roo. A really pretty one but definitely a rooboy.

Well, good to know! I'll start assigning the correct pronouns. Again, I don't have too much experience with chickens. But this is how we learn!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 14, 2015

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Suspect Bucket posted:

Well, I'll bring it up with my boss, but I've a hunch she'll disagree. He gets around all right, does not seem to be in pain, evaluates well with the vet and farrier (as well as a genetic nightmare like him can), and seems to enjoy himself.

It's taking so long because we can only get our super busy and popular farrier by every 3 months. Don and Nugget do get trimmed, their hooves have been getting shorter. This is also not a good picture of the state of his hooves. They have also been like this for years, even before we got them. If they do go downhill, there is the kindest thing to do, but the little bastards seem to be holding out.

This is not my farm, by the way. I volunteer here. I go twice a day to help out with feeding and chores, I also try and help out with managing other volunteers. It's not quite my domain to shoot everyone, burn the fields and dance around cackling.

You're volunteering at a piece of poo poo, man. It's nice that you wanna help people out, but it is a garbage place. You aren't gonna listen, but I hope when you realize it is that it doesn't make you upset or something. I also hope that a good farm picks you up as a volunteer because reading through your logs of the poo poo you've done says you ARE a good one- you're just hooked up with lovely people.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
the fact that that pony hasn't been euthed is legit horrifying

run dude, run far away

e: my chickens come tomorrow!!!!

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 14, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Triangulum posted:

e: my chickens come tomorrow!!!!

We must have PHOTOS as proof! Share the baby chick goodness! :dance:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Will do, I'm getting cochins, brahmas, wyandottes, and ameraucanas :D i'm pretty stoked, ive been wanting chickens for a long rear end time

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

We must have PHOTOS as proof! Share the baby chick goodness! :dance:

Yes, after all the sad passings we've had recently, we need photos of defiant fluffballs.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Suspect Bucket posted:

Joker is about 5 months.

Here is a beginner rooster feather chart. You see the big curling feathers over the tail? Those are sickle feathers, rooster only. Hens just have straight, well defined feathers with round edges.

See the feathers on his neck coming down to form a cape like shape over his shoulders? Those are rooster only. And you will begin to see the feathers around his saddle grow in soon, right along his back in front of the sickle feathers.

Hens dont have any of these. They have big fluffy bustles right above their straight tails and no hackle feathers making a cape.

Not to mention he has spurs, which is totally rooster only. He looks like he has a beard, so I wouldn't be surprised if he never grows wattles and has a smaller pea comb from some Easter egger genes in there.

He's a good looking boy, you should be proud of him.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 14, 2015

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Here is a beginner rooster feather chart. You see the big curling feathers over the tail? Those are sickle feathers, rooster only. Hens just have straight, well defined feathers with round edges.

See the feathers on his neck coming down to form a cape like shape over his shoulders? Those are rooster only. And you will begin to see the feathers around his saddle grow in soon, right along his back in front of the sickle feathers.

Hens dont have any of these. They have big fluffy bustles right above their straight tails and no hackle feathers making a cape.

Not to mention he has spurs, which is totally rooster only. He looks like he has a beard, so I wouldn't be surprised if he never grows wattles and has a smaller pea comb from some Easter egger genes in there.

He's a good looking boy, you should be proud of him.

That's a nice graphic of a rooboy, especially since it looks a LOT like Joker. :keke: And yeah, he is for sure a roo, no doubt. But when they are first getting their roo feathering it can be kinda hard to tell with some birds.

Regarding spurs, though, I have to say that I've had some hens with little spurs! Not as epic as true rooster spurs, but definitely spurs. One was a white crested black Polish hen, two others were bantam mutts. The funniest thing was when one of my older Belgian d'Uccle bantam hens suddenly one day started CROWING (caused by a shift in hormones in older hens that happens sometimes) and confused the living Hell out of my two roos. They hid around the corner of the garage and crowed back at her all day. She stood on the back porch all day and crowed, then apparantly got it out of her system and never did it again.

I think she just wanted to troll Phoenix and Scott, myself.

BTW, thank you whoever did that, it's perfect. :v:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
It was a lie, my chickens arent shipping for another month :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Glad to know that well known chicken lady Velvet Sparrow approves of neglecting livestock that aren't chickens :lol:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Augmenten, powder stuff u mix up and dose on weight., 7 days on 7 off 7 on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Velvet Sparrow posted:

That's a nice graphic of a rooboy, especially since it looks a LOT like Joker. :keke: And yeah, he is for sure a roo, no doubt. But when they are first getting their roo feathering it can be kinda hard to tell with some birds.

Regarding spurs, though, I have to say that I've had some hens with little spurs! Not as epic as true rooster spurs, but definitely spurs. One was a white crested black Polish hen, two others were bantam mutts. The funniest thing was when one of my older Belgian d'Uccle bantam hens suddenly one day started CROWING (caused by a shift in hormones in older hens that happens sometimes) and confused the living Hell out of my two roos. They hid around the corner of the garage and crowed back at her all day. She stood on the back porch all day and crowed, then apparantly got it out of her system and never did it again.

I think she just wanted to troll Phoenix and Scott, myself.

My bantam Belgian duccle hen had a crowing phase. I miss her (a fox got her)