Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I just started playing TS4 again and am in the Cop career for the first time. I've not run into problems with non-existent suspects, but I do find it loving hilarious that if I still have stuff in my inventory, I can use the evidence from a previous case to (correctly) identify the suspect in a new case. If I do a comprehensive sweep through a crime scene it tends to be enough to solve that case AND the next one :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mister Adequate posted:

I just started playing TS4 again and am in the Cop career for the first time. I've not run into problems with non-existent suspects, but I do find it loving hilarious that if I still have stuff in my inventory, I can use the evidence from a previous case to (correctly) identify the suspect in a new case. If I do a comprehensive sweep through a crime scene it tends to be enough to solve that case AND the next one :haw:

Yeah, same. I like to rationalize it as a stupid crime conspiracy where every one of those weird burglarly/banksy exhibit hybrids is perpetrated by a single really short-sighted anarchist collective.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Julet Esqu posted:

It is. It routinely sends my guy after suspects that don't exist. Since there's not a "cancel case" option, the only way out is to quit the job and then reenlist again at one rung lower than you were before.

I sort of had this problem a few times, in that I'd issue an APB and get to the scene and then everyone would be like "sorry, can't help you". Other times I'd arrest someone and they'd disappear before I returned to the station.

I just did other stuff for awhile, like going on patrol, and eventually after issuing another APB the game would let me arrest a Sim who didn't match the description at all (e.g. the description would say a female elder with blonde hair who hates children but all the other Sims would be pointing to a male young adult alien with no such trait). They'd turn out to be guilty, at least, but that poo poo was super annoying.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Chocolate Milk posted:

I sort of had this problem a few times, in that I'd issue an APB and get to the scene and then everyone would be like "sorry, can't help you". Other times I'd arrest someone and they'd disappear before I returned to the station.

I just did other stuff for awhile, like going on patrol, and eventually after issuing another APB the game would let me arrest a Sim who didn't match the description at all (e.g. the description would say a female elder with blonde hair who hates children but all the other Sims would be pointing to a male young adult alien with no such trait). They'd turn out to be guilty, at least, but that poo poo was super annoying.

I think the main cause of disappearing suspects is that issuing multiple APBs or using evidence from previous cases will interfere your current suspect's description. So after every successful arrest, you need to trash the remaining evidence before collecting anything new.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I think the main cause of disappearing suspects is that issuing multiple APBs or using evidence from previous cases will interfere your current suspect's description. So after every successful arrest, you need to trash the remaining evidence before collecting anything new.

No, you can still use old analyzed/cross-referenced evidence from previous cases. From what I can tell, the only thing the game requires you to do is visit the new crime scene. I don't know how many pieces of evidence it flags, but I could swear I've gotten away with only gathering one or two photos/swabs/whatever.

So far as issuing APBs, you can get five (maybe six?) traits, total, from using the corkboard. The only iffy thing I've run into is how far away the suspect spawns on the map, and how big the map is (the parks are a pain). As for issuing multiple APBs, I've never done that. My Sim's cases, evidence, etc, always default to the one that's currently being pursued, even if they went to another crime scene.

Notably: I've never seen the bug that's being talked about. I've almost always found a suspect, it just takes tedious analyze/cross-reference/analyze/cross-reference bullshit until you hit the max number of traits/attributes/whatever.

One of the perks you should have, going into playing a cop Sim, is the Observant one, since all you have to do is greet someone to get all their traits. It makes finding the suspect pretty easy, since all you have to look for otherwise are the clothes, and the age. Once you introduce yourself, you'll see if one of their traits matches what you've got in your notebook, and bam. No need to talk to random sims.

The main bug I've been running into is an arrested suspect not showing up at the police station lot post-arrest. If that happens, I just send the sim out patrol, since it still adds to your "job complete for the day" meter. The suspect I need to interrogate will occasionally show up after I'm prompted to return to the station, but, if they don't, they'll usually reappear at the beginning of the next shift. Which is honestly pretty funny.

With all that, making chief was a breeze, and doesn't require quitting/re-upping into the career.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 15, 2015

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I've definitely come to the point on multiple occasions where, out of desperation, I started trying to arrest anybody on the lot who had one or two of the attributes in the description, even if other stuff didn't match.

One of the patches a while ago was said to fix the problem. (The game was giving teen suspects personality trait clues that are impossible, since teens can't get all traits, and thus it was impossible to find a matching suspect.) That patch seems to have helped my game some, but I still get suspects who don't appear to exist from time to time. I guess my game is special!

Old Boot posted:

The main bug I've been running into is an arrested suspect not showing up at the police station lot post-arrest. If that happens, I just send the sim out patrol, since it still adds to your "job complete for the day" meter. The suspect I need to interrogate will occasionally show up after I'm prompted to return to the station, but, if they don't, they'll usually reappear at the beginning of the next shift. Which is honestly pretty funny.

I've gotten that one, too!

With all this, I'm mostly just grinding out the cop career out of spite.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
At least the police career is hella more interesting than the doctor career.

With doctor, it seems to be hit or miss if you'll actually be able to cure the disease a Sim has. Unless it's required to cure a Sim for a promotion, I let them be sick after I analyze them completely. I just let them be sick. Not my job to be the ONLY person in a hospital to do everything. No wonder everyone comes to the hospital sick at the same time. They see the only competent doctor actually go to work.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Julet Esqu posted:

I've definitely come to the point on multiple occasions where, out of desperation, I started trying to arrest anybody on the lot who had one or two of the attributes in the description, even if other stuff didn't match.

One of the patches a while ago was said to fix the problem. (The game was giving teen suspects personality trait clues that are impossible, since teens can't get all traits, and thus it was impossible to find a matching suspect.) That patch seems to have helped my game some, but I still get suspects who don't appear to exist from time to time. I guess my game is special!

Huh.

I actually haven't played the game much in the past couple months, so it's entirely possible that a recent patch hosed things up somehow. Or I just got the magical, unicorn-like install that dropkicks things into doing what they're supposed to (save for the missing, but diligently-turning-self-in-after-amazing-escape interrogation suspects).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'm only on page 9 of the thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but is there any problems from downloading/installing packs out of release order? I'm thinking about putting down cash for Get To Work, but may in the future download the camping pack.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

I'm only on page 9 of the thread, so sorry if this has been mentioned, but is there any problems from downloading/installing packs out of release order? I'm thinking about putting down cash for Get To Work, but may in the future download the camping pack.

No. Sims 4 is a lot more modular now.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Sims 2 was the last title where installing expansion packs/stuff packs out of order would cause some issues. In Sims 1, installing the expansion packs out of order would break the game completely, to the state of unplayable.

Sims 3 on the other hand, install order didn't matter. You could install Into the Future first then install Seasons then World Adventures if you wanted, nothing bad would happen. As long as the game was patched it was fine. You would just need the latest game's disk in your drive unless you had a digital copy or bypassed the launcher with a particular mod in your mods folder.

Sims 4 is even more modular. Because the game won't even download the content you don't "own", once you own it on your Origin account, it will download the latest files for that particular expansion pack. There are references to the content you don't own in the base game, and I'm not talking about the learning about expansion/stuff packs option in the main menu. Hell, the Gallery will tell you if you don't have a particular piece of content in order to actually use it. If you do download a lot that contains content from Spa Day for example, but don't have Spa Day, it will just remove that one piece when you place that lot. However, if you do get Spa Day and place that same lot (or room), the object that was removed before will appear.

It doesn't matter at all when you get the stuff for Sims 4. You could get the next expansion pack at release then go back and get Outdoor Retreat, then go get Spa Day and then grab Get to Work.

I guess they did this because people complained because they bought the stuff that appealed to them at the time, and went back to fill in their catalogue later on, instead of assuming and forcing people to buy everything in order to play The Sims games.

Hell, they could have easily forced you to buy the expansion/stuff packs in order to continue playing the game after the patch for that expansion/stuff pack came out.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I do wish the cop career had a little more diversity in outcomes. As it stands it's either "Guilty, get confession" or "Not guilty, let go." I don't want that poo poo, I want to just have to read someone and think "Yeah he did it" but turns out he's just nervous because he's been hauled in by the cops. Or to have someone stay calm and use their high charisma to weave some bullshit Keyser Soze tale of what really happened. There should be another part of the event, where there's a trial (can be offscreen) and you can be told someone got off because your evidence wasn't convincing or that guy you locked up last year was just declared not guilty and released and you're in deep poo poo for getting an innocent person put away or whatever.

I mean I know it's The Sims so I'm not expecting L.A. Noire here or anything, but a little more detail to it all would be nice.

So, any mods do just that?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Segmentation Fault posted:

No. Sims 4 is a lot more modular now.

IAmTheRad posted:

Sims 2 was the last title where installing expansion packs/stuff packs out of order would cause some issues

Thanks, folks!

Another question which I thought I knew the answer to, but given the changes/updates to the game, I think my knowledge is outdated. There's a few fruits/veggies in S4 that can only be found in one zone/world/whatever, making it harder to acquire if you don't live in that zone (because the plant would always start at not-grown-enough stage). I vaguely remember being able to take a cutting from the plant if you have a high enough gardening skill and grow it from there, but my googling shows there's now a splicing mechanic. Is it still possible to take a cutting of Plant X and graft it to one of your own plants to have a Plant X plant at home?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Thanks, folks!

Another question which I thought I knew the answer to, but given the changes/updates to the game, I think my knowledge is outdated. There's a few fruits/veggies in S4 that can only be found in one zone/world/whatever, making it harder to acquire if you don't live in that zone (because the plant would always start at not-grown-enough stage). I vaguely remember being able to take a cutting from the plant if you have a high enough gardening skill and grow it from there, but my googling shows there's now a splicing mechanic. Is it still possible to take a cutting of Plant X and graft it to one of your own plants to have a Plant X plant at home?

Yes.
As well, you can take the fruit or flower from the plant in question and just plant that. Sims 4 unlike Sims 3 you can just plant whatever whenever.

Now grafting and making a cutting is to make hybrid plants, or to put more than one type of item on a particular plant. But you can't just take for example a tomato cutting and put it onto a basil plant, and then cut that and get a tomato and basil plant. You would just get a basil cutting.

Mushrooms can't be grafted. You shouldn't graft things onto a tree (but you can).

Now your information is as well a little outdated. You can go to a lot in a neighbourhood your sim doesn't live in and find the wild plant with a harvestable on it. Or visit another Sims house and find that there too. If you just visit that lot everyday it should grow, even if you just hop in the lot and then immediately leave.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Why shouldn't you graft stuff onto a tree?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Big Bug Hug posted:

Why shouldn't you graft stuff onto a tree?

A tree actually takes longer to bear fruit. If you don't mind go ahead.

But a couple of the hybrid plants need tree fruit.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

If you scroll down a ways, this page features a downloadable guide that purports to have the most efficient grafting combos. If nothing else, it'll help you get all the plant types onto relatively few actual plants. There's lots of info on that page, but if you want just that guide, scroll down to "Grafting for Efficiency".

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I found an odd little wrinkle with Active Jobs. A non-zero percent of your coworkers are drawn from the pool of not-actually-in-your-town Sims (I think it's called non-household families, but I'm phoneposting). This means that you can only interact with them on the appropriate work lot and can't ever invite them home, unless you move them in to a random empty house. I wonder if they did that because they didn't want players having one family with the same Active Job?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
A few times in this thread people have brought up having problems getting their "town full of celebrities" neighborhoods to work because the game still kept pulling premade townies. I found a mod that's supposed to increase the priority of custom sims to appear in public.

http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=560608

The same person also has a mod to make sim appearances more random in general.

http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=557279

I want to test this out, so could I ask for suggestions on how to mass stupid-fy my neighborhood as fast as possible?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

If you actually use MC Command Center, the second mod is completely useless because that function now exists inside of MC Command Center. I don't know if the default tuning is to turn that behavior on or not, but it's easy enough to enable it in the population settings on a computer. Any computer, including ones in the Library.

The first one seems to make it so that your sims that you make get put into roles over random Sims that the game just generates for that role, but they'd need the proper traits in order to fill those roles.

Now, the second one makes it so that you're more likely to see different sims over the same 5 in every single lot you go to, like they are some sort of stalker. There is no reason Bella Goth needs to follow my Sim to every single lot they visit. She was last seen at the Gym in Willow Creek. She wouldn't suddenly stop her exercise and hide behind my Sim tailing him to a bar in Oasis Springs. It's just creepy.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Hahah, the Sim I was vaguely interested in getting abducted did so... an hour after having sex for the first time.

Late, late edit: for gently caress's sake, I think my male sim is secretly using his wife's birth control, because he's been abducted at least three times and not an alien babby to be found.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 20, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

MisterBibs posted:

I wonder if they did that because they didn't want players having one family with the same Active Job?

Yeah. I have a married couple who are both cops and I can't have them both actively work together.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Nobody has posted the Spooky trailer for The Sims 4?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiYxOKThDzE

There was also a patch preparing for Spooky Stuff. The stuff pack comes out on Tuesday.

Guess there's going to be one more patch after Spooky Stuff that prepares the game for Get Together which releases in November.

Lucy Bradshaw did leave EA, and Maxis is now under EA's mobile division. This doesn't mean PC titles are going anywhere. The only PC title that Maxis works on these days is The Sims 4 anyways. Not like they're going to suddenly make a surprise expansion for SimCity, when Cities Skylines has completely killed it.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/09/24/maxis-studio-head-lucy-bradshaw-departs-ea-studio-to-join-with-mobile-division.aspx

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
That looks very similar to the Halloween content they gave away for free in The Sims 3.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofpHyM_qdGo

LGR's review.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Looks like Get Together has been delayed to December 8, 2015 AD.

Delay Announcement Here

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Maybe they're actually going to put in a new life state and not break the thing they've done for EVERY other Sims expansion since Sims 2.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Can anyone recommend any custom worlds for the sims 3? I've been playing on The New Sunset Valley 2013 because I like having everything available in one town but I'm getting some performance issues. A decent amount of stuttering and random pausing has got me looking for another smaller town. In the old thread Evansdale County is recommended and on the same site I saw another contender SimLay Isles. Would these be better for someone with a Intel Core2 Duo E8400 and a GeForce GTS 250?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I tried running a diner with my Sim and his wife. Kind of a pain in the rear end since I would remove the for sale signs after something sold and just make a new dish to make more money. The employee I hired was also near useless so I fired him; he kept coming back to buy food though.

I eventually sold the place and my Sim is now on the culinary track.

Also this thread hasn't moved much in a year's time.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Sims doesn't really lend itself well to tons offorum posting generally, since unless you format your stuff like an LP Sims stories just tend to be like really really boring dreams.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lady Naga posted:

Sims doesn't really lend itself well to tons offorum posting generally, since unless you format your stuff like an LP Sims stories just tend to be like really really boring dreams.

Like most create-your-own-story video games (e.g. Dwarf Fortress, Crusader Kings), you need a creative mind behind it to really make something amazing. I'm not going to be one of those people since I just lazily take other people's gimmick sims.

Keanu celebrated his birthday alone, just like the real thing. :smith:

Jacket (Made by Lady Naga up there actually - thanks!) is a great credit to the neighborhood. He's entered this completely stupid Coyote-Roadrunner relationship with fellow criminal Walter White. He's the roadrunner.

One unintentional consequence of downloading so many novelty sims is that the neighborhood is completely filled with douchebags.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
How many fat Elsas do you have?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
None; I decided early on that I was going to ignore stuff like an obese blue Sim named Baymax (actual example), because that just disturbing.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 13, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
If you like freebies, the Digital Deluxe Upgrade (soundtrack etc.) for the base game is free for today if you use the promo code simsupgrade in your Origin cart.

Also, the base game is 40% off, and Get To Work, Spa Day and Outdoor Retreat are all 25% off. That's nice, I guess.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Give me weather effects or give me... well. Nothing I guess. Seasons was my favorite Sims 3 addon.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The Kins posted:

If you like freebies, the Digital Deluxe Upgrade (soundtrack etc.) for the base game is free for today if you use the promo code simsupgrade in your Origin cart.

Also, the base game is 40% off, and Get To Work, Spa Day and Outdoor Retreat are all 25% off. That's nice, I guess.

Awesome, thanks for the heads-up! Spooky Stuff Pack is also 25% off, I grabbed that, Spa Day, and the Digital Deluxe Upgrade for like 23 bucks.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

The new Gameplay video for Clubs is up as of today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edgPrSYySMo

Clubs look pretty interesting - we'll see what else the expansion implements but I like what I've seen so far.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

"Super Secret Evil club for Evils"

Yeah. That will be my club. Named exactly that.

Wonder if they're "hiding" the new life stage, or will break the rule they have set since Sims 2 and not include a new life state in the first expansion. I mean vampires or witches would work for a secret cabal of hidden sims...

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
This isn't the first expansion, its the second. There was no life stage in the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012
Aliens were in Get to Work.