Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Degs posted:

I haven't played since like two months into release and jesus loving christ what is any of this.

Relearning mmos is such a pain in the dick.

Is scepter/dagger still awesome for elementalists? Can I still do hilarious amounts of healing with a staff build? If not, that gets rid of some confusion right away cause I can get rid of at least one gear set >.<

Ele is mostly Dagger Dagger with a stat set introduced a bit over a year ago called Celestial, or Full Zerker with a staff for long range blasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Honestly I haven't met a single player who truly unironically enjoys UW combat (inc half a dozen goons posting to disagree with me) so telling your teams "don't bother with a second set of UW legends" makes perfect sense :shrug: People being upset about dungeons is understandable but being mad because there are no new UW legends seems like being contrary just to be contrary.

Also how would you top sharkspear, seriously :cool:

Honestly the underwater ones were the only ones I looking forward to, not because underwater is fun, but because they were the only good ones from the original batch and I am sure the second batch would be the same way.

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Also how would you top sharkspear, seriously :cool:

Megashark spear. :black101:

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Baron Snow posted:

Ele is mostly Dagger Dagger with a stat set introduced a bit over a year ago called Celestial, or Full Zerker with a staff for long range blasting.

Celestial is only really a thing in PvP situations so you'd only need it for, like, WvW roaming.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Tivac posted:

John Smith is a super proactive guy, being a jerk because you don't agree with him isn't very cool.

Underwater combat was a cool idea that wasn't as cool in practice, so it's being de-emphasized. This approach to content focus is nothing new but I'm sorry that some of you are upset by that.

:drac:

Underwater combat is cool but anet wasn't willing to put any effort since launch into improving it. Dungeons were cool but besides some adjustments to AC bosses dungeons have had virtually no adjustment at all to make them more fun or less simple to rush through. I don't see how this is being proactive; this is putting out sub optimal content and then doing nothing to make it better and just hoping that nobody minds. Either remove the content because it doesn't meet quality standards, or raise it to meet those standards. "Deincentivization" is an idiotic non-solution that serves nobody.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

CLAM DOWN posted:

Underwater combat loving rules and this stupid approach to disincentivising dungeons is just that: loving stupid. There's nothing to gain from it. Sorry Tivac.

As somebody with two underwater legendaries (and the precursor for the third in the bank) and who dungeons a lot: mega agree. RIP some of the things I like, oh well.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

Honestly the underwater ones were the only ones I looking forward to, not because underwater is fun, but because they were the only good ones from the original batch and I am sure the second batch would be the same way.

Sharkspear rules, Kraitkin rules, Frenzy doesn't rule. 2 for 3, yeah, that's pretty solid :black101:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

I like underwater combat cause I can shoot piranhas at people and hang out with my pet shark Bruce :coolfish:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Frenzy doesn't rule.

wow dang so wrong

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I'd say fight me but my shark would eat your dumbass piranhas so fast :smug:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Underwater combat is cool but anet wasn't willing to put any effort since launch into improving it. Dungeons were cool but besides some adjustments to AC bosses dungeons have had virtually no adjustment at all to make them more fun or less simple to rush through. I don't see how this is being proactive; this is putting out sub optimal content and then doing nothing to make it better and just hoping that nobody minds. Either remove the content because it doesn't meet quality standards, or raise it to meet those standards. "Deincentivization" is an idiotic non-solution that serves nobody.

John Smith is the guy who works with the game's economy, I don't think him being proactive or not has much to do with whether dungeons are fun to play or not.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Sharkspear rules, Kraitkin rules, Frenzy doesn't rule. 2 for 3, yeah, that's pretty solid :black101:

Whoa, them's fighting words, Frenzy is the best of the lot.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

Organza Quiz posted:

John Smith is the guy who works with the game's economy, I don't think him being proactive or not has much to do with whether dungeons are fun to play or not.

Maybe he won't make them more fun but he sure pointlessly robbed the only reason to do them, and it's a lot less fun to endure when you know there's no point!

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Maybe he won't make them more fun but he sure pointlessly robbed the only reason to do them, and it's a lot less fun to endure when you know there's no point!

I sure am glad its only the low low number of 170 runs per dungeon to do the collection achievements! :shepicide:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Underwater combat kinda sucks so I am cool with that.

I totally get the changes to dungeons, and they obviously buried them years ago. Fractals are a better system and I love the changes to them, but you need to...you know...make some new drat fractals.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

That is literally the entire point of what they're trying to do. They're trying to make it pointless to endure doing it so that you go and do the other content that they actually want you to do because it's more enjoyable to do it.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes

Organza Quiz posted:

That is literally the entire point of what they're trying to do. They're trying to make it pointless to endure doing it so that you go and do the other content that they actually want you to do.

Then I go back to my point: why the half measure? If it's so bad you don't want people to do it then remove it. If you think it's bad but worth keeping then improve it, or at the very least don't make it worse. There is absolutely positively no point in deincentivization. If they want people to do fractals over dungeons they don't have to try hard at all. They can very easily make fractals more profitable without making dungeons less profitable.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

That is literally the entire point of what they're trying to do. They're trying to make it pointless to endure doing it so that you go and do the other content that they actually want you to do because it's more enjoyable to do it.

"Play how we want you to" doesn't sound like as great a tagline for a game tbh.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

Then I go back to my point: why the half measure? If it's so bad you don't want people to do it then remove it. If you think it's bad but worth keeping then improve it, or at the very least don't make it worse. There is absolutely positively no point in deincentivization. If they want people to do fractals over dungeons they don't have to try hard at all. They can very easily make fractals more profitable without making dungeons less profitable.

Because removing them would cause more problems than not: would require a total revamp in personal story, would have to fix all those email notifications you get as you level, fix the leveling rewards, they'd also need to find a place to use the skins as a reward, just for a start. They know dungeons suck rear end right now, but they don't have the resources/desire to give them the update they need, so they're essentially punting the problem down the field.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

It's weird because the blog post and associated reddit responses are all "getting valuable drops is better than direct gold rewards so we're doing that" and a bunch of systems to go with it, but then re: dungeons it's just "yeah gently caress them, go do something else."

I mean, technically you can buy dungeon armor and salvage insigniae out of them, but it's pretty inconsistent (none available from CoF gear even) and seems more like a 'nothing better to do with these tokens' situation.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

malhavok posted:

It's already up to 14c.
It's at 39c now :lol:

The real question is whether it's going to hard crash before the week's over before it goes back up again.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

My gut feeling is the person/team responsible for the dungeons initially didn't mesh well with the culture/philosophy at anet, so as that team got removed/transferred, the company has always wanted to sink this content, but it was being utilized by a lot of the userbase and they needed to get other content online before they could move the reward systems.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

"I'd like dungeons to be a little more difficult, you shouldn't be able to just throw 5 signets on your bar like an idiot and get through."

Jon Peters curses under his breath. "You're a dead man, Hrouda."

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
Alright, I was on the fence, but you guys have convinced me.

Once the ability to craft specific precursors is in with HoT, i'm gonna go for Frenzy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm excited for the eventual stronghold changes where they remove all but the tiniest reward from it to force people to do something else because they want to sweep it under the rug and pretend it never existed.

that and the change to raids in a year's time.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Lyer posted:

My gut feeling is the person/team responsible for the dungeons initially didn't mesh well with the culture/philosophy at anet, so as that team got removed/transferred, the company has always wanted to sink this content, but it was being utilized by a lot of the userbase and they needed to get other content online before they could move the reward systems.
I dunno about that since fractals were sort of supposed to be the successor to dungeons, and now raids are sort of the next step.

It's probably more that dungeon rewards were created around dungeons taking longer and being more difficult than they've become now that people have figured out what the easy boss kills are and how much of the difficulty can be bypassed, are doing it in exotic gear or better, and are doing it with gear that has actual stats instead of magic find.

I remember doing AC around launch and you couldn't beat Kholer then by stacking into a corner and face-tanking his dagger storm, but you can now!

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010

brainSnakes posted:

Alright, I was on the fence, but you guys have convinced me.

Once the ability to craft specific precursors is in with HoT, i'm gonna go for Frenzy.

Why do the collection when Rage (the precursor) has buy orders at 65g and sell orders at 80g? You'll spend that many many times over on the other parts of Frenzy.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It just honestly seems like the Anet of old is dead and they have no loving idea what they're doing now, it's pretty dumb. Oh well, HoT is gonna still be fun and I can still dressup my black Logan wannabe

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Dolphin fractal is best fractal. Too bad it got deemphasized.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like underwater stuff in that underwater areas have some really pretty areas to explore but at this point it's just genuinely funny how underwater combat is universally viewed with disgust. i bet we'll never hear anything of value about that supposed underwater dragon because no one will want to bother revamping underwater combat.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Baron Von Pigeon posted:

:10bux:

Estimate the number of man hours it would take to redesign a dungeon. Art, Content, Design, Play Testing, etc.

Now double it, multiply it by the number of dungeons and bill it at $75-100/hour. That is the estimated cost.

SlothBear posted:

"Play how we want you to" doesn't sound like as great a tagline for a game tbh.

"You're in OUR world now!"

-Everquest

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Constantly adding dangling, unfinished new systems while you wall off the old stuff to rot... not a good long term strategy for making a fun game. Learn from Blizzard and WoW on that one.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Living story season 3: bad guys invade the dungeons and open evil mist rifts, the only way to close the evil most rifts is to blow up the dungeons one by one. revenants are somehow involved

Living story season 4: turns out blowing up those evil mist rifts have caused new fractals to appear when chunks of the dungeon were sucked in idk the point is the dungeon assets are fractals now and Anet has 2 years to make them less awful

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

I know that both Goon Squad and SFD have lots of people that actually like doing dungeons but let's be honest here, the majority of the playerbase were actually just using them as an efficient source of money and were skipping as much stuff as possible in order to achieve said money acquisition. If Anet wants the playerbase to move to another form of group content it makes sense that they'd move the rewards, too. I'm a bit sad because I've spent lots of time running dungeons over the last few years but I guess we'll still do them for people who want dungeonmaster and armour for princess dressup.

forkbucket
Mar 9, 2008

Magnets are my only weakness.
You know what would be cool? Buddy dungeons. Retune the content for 2 people! Grab a buddy and dive into some dungeons. Who knows, maybe they give less gold rewards but you can still earn tokens for sweet sweet skins. Extra bonus points if the dungeons were hard, but possible to clear solo if you're on your game.

Obviously would never happen, but it would be pretty cool if it was a thing.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Mercurius posted:

I know that both Goon Squad and SFD have lots of people that actually like doing dungeons but let's be honest here, the majority of the playerbase were actually just using them as an efficient source of money and were skipping as much stuff as possible in order to achieve said money acquisition. If Anet wants the playerbase to move to another form of group content it makes sense that they'd move the rewards, too. I'm a bit sad because I've spent lots of time running dungeons over the last few years but I guess we'll still do them for people who want dungeonmaster and armour for princess dressup.

I doubt people in GS were/are doing dungeons for fun, but for most it's either an easy tolerable way to make gold or something that's a change of pace. I don't think fractals are well done either, the encounters there save the last bosses are laughable in terms of mechanics and even then, those bosses are pretty basic compared to other games.

I really think GW2 would be fun if it approached mobs like diablo 3 does a bit; tons of mobs with low health, that you just smash through, instead of the singular mobs with high HP.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Lyer posted:

I doubt people in GS were/are doing dungeons for fun, but for most it's either an easy tolerable way to make gold or something that's a change of pace. I don't think fractals are well done either, the encounters there save the last bosses are laughable in terms of mechanics and even then, those bosses are pretty basic compared to other games.

I really think GW2 would be fun if it approached mobs like diablo 3 does a bit; tons of mobs with low health, that you just smash through, instead of the singular mobs with high HP.
Horde mode dungeons or fractals would be loving amazing, especially since a bunch of the new elite specs seem to be pretty good at the whole constant AoE damage thing.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Lyer posted:

That would really be fun as hell, the biggest complaint I have with the combat is high HP mobs.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Put on some Berserker gear.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Amante posted:

Constantly adding dangling, unfinished new systems while you wall off the old stuff to rot... not a good long term strategy for making a fun game. Learn from Blizzard and WoW on that one.

They seem to have decided to learn from WoD Blizzard instead.

Props though, they found a way to add mudflation to a game that has a limited gear treadmill. GJ I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

y'all be too busy grinding masteries when HoT launches to worry about dungeons. seriously some of the final mastery tiers require an obscene amount of xp

• Locked thread