Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Friday I'm In Love was released in 1992, this is the best evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
All that stuff, while ridiculous, is still a way better plot than what we actually got. I would have eaten that poo poo up.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I don't mind the plot we got. It does sort of just... end without ending though. I'm not even sure Kingdom of the Flies would have fixed that. In one way though I'm kind of okay with that. There could have been a big dramatic "Big Boss has just knocked off someone and has completed his transition into villain." or like the construction of the MG1 Metal Gear, or even Big Boss talking about making a nation of soldiers so soldiers will never be forgotten (even at the end he talks about making a world where Soldiers aren't necessary)

Instead there's the reveal and life goes on. It's a strange feeling.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It'd be hilarious if MGSV ended with the MG1 because it'd just look so lovely next to the Sahel and Battle Gear.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
One thing I really liked about MGS4 was that it was constantly referencing past games with little poo poo. It rewarded you for knowing the lore of all the games. MGS5 has a few Peace Walker references, says Les Enfants Terribles a couple times, and tries to shoe in Liquid Snake and that's about it. Where the gently caress was Johnny Sasaki??

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

SynthOrange posted:

It'd be hilarious if MGSV ended with the MG1 because it'd just look so lovely next to the Sahel and Battle Gear.

Well he no longer has Huey or Strangelove, so it would be constructed by whatever geeks were left in Diamond Dogs R&D "Yes, I know Sahel and Battle Gear and Zeke all looked super loving awesome, but you know what, Neither of the two super geniuses who built it are here anymore, so instead of AI pods, child pilots, human modes and other masturbatory bullshit, you're getting a weapons platform and you will like it!"

EDIT: And then Venom is just eventually like "Yeah gently caress it, who can stop it anyway. One dude on foot with grenades? That's loving stupid."

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 13, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Snak posted:

I already did. It wasn't very exciting. gimme a second and I'll link the relevant posts.

edit: or just quote them w/e

I prefer the theory that the game is an in-universe TV show based on "the untold stories of Big Boss" created in post-MGS4 times. It explains the credits for every mission, the licensed soundtrack, the anachronisms, the bizarre tech advances, having a big fuckoff Metal Gear even compared to games later in the timeline, Huey's character (making him as dislikeable as possible so the audience has someone to hate in case they like Skullface), the return of Paz (she was a popular character so she was brought back without actually retconning her death), the ending going to crap (as frequently happens to long plot based series), the changes to Big Boss (it makes for good drama to have to deal with his missing arm and horn), why he's now voiced by Keifer Sutherland and has a different, quieter personality, etc., etc., etc.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

the changes to Big Boss (it makes for good drama to have to deal with his missing arm and horn), why he's now voiced by Keifer Sutherland and has a different, quieter personality, etc., etc., etc.

Uh

Actually does anyone have any good pics of the bb model and the venom model? I wanna see how different they are from one another.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

One thing I really liked about MGS4 was that it was constantly referencing past games with little poo poo. It rewarded you for knowing the lore of all the games. MGS5 has a few Peace Walker references, says Les Enfants Terribles a couple times, and tries to shoe in Liquid Snake and that's about it. Where the gently caress was Johnny Sasaki??

I think you find a cassette tape that's just farting noises by one of the toilets. I took that as Johnny Sasaki.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Uh

Actually does anyone have any good pics of the bb model and the venom model? I wanna see how different they are from one another.

Venom's taller and more muscular, for one thing.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
My favorite part is when the medic and huey kissed passionately on the lips in the R&D platform.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

I think this is an honest expression of what a number of people who didn't like MGSV actually feel. It's an aesthetic issue they have, where there are insufficient obvious signifiers that "this is metal gear". They then doll it up with notions of canonicity and "plot" to lend more legitimacy to their feelings. Of course, this game is very metal gear, just a bit more aesthetically subdued. Thematically, it follows with the rest of the series very well!

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Liquid Penguins posted:

My favorite part is when the medic and huey kissed passionately on the lips in the R&D platform.

"I didn't kiss him! Miller was the one who kissed him! And even if I did kiss him, Ocelot is gay so you can't judge me!"

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yeah Bro posted:

I think this is an honest expression of what a number of people who didn't like MGSV actually feel. It's an aesthetic issue they have, where there are insufficient obvious signifiers that "this is metal gear". They then doll it up with notions of canonicity and "plot" to lend more legitimacy to their feelings. Of course, this game is very metal gear, just a bit more aesthetically subdued. Thematically, it follows with the rest of the series very well!

*thoughtful nod*

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

*thoughtful nod*

Thank you for reading. I hope you had as much fun reading this as I had writing it :)

Sex Tragedy
Jan 28, 2007

father of three with an extra large butt

My favorite of the references illiterate's like this noob missed is the BigS hell reference.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My favorite theory was that MGSV would literally just be about Big Boss being tortured in Hell, forced to relive his worst moments in life over and over again, suffering for his war crimes. "Punished Snake" indeed.

In a way that's not too far from what we actually got, though Big Boss cowardly manipulates Venom into dealing with all of this.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I actually sort of like the disconnected nature of MGS V. It's easier to sell people on it. Even if some things don't make sense (People don't understand the significance of Eli) I will say for games that ended an 'arc' this kicks the ever loving poo poo out of MGS 4. MGS 4 is just loving depressing with Snake always dying and coughing and hobbling about pathetically. MGS V has the same sort of "I'm old as gently caress." without literally making the protagonist look like a feeble pathetic old man.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I actually really like how every deployment opens with Snake sitting silently in the chopper with a thousand yard stare. It's even better in the postgame when you can play using your true face.

Although Jungle Boogie kicking in undercuts the mood a little.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I've been using John Cena's theme song as my chopper tune ever since I unlocked the speakers, and it's probably doubled my enjoyment of the game overall.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Big Boss did nothing wrong

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Broseph Brostar posted:

Grey Fox's back story is already a big mess. I don't think Kojima can do anything but make it worse by shoving him into another game.

Kojima needs to be free of MGS already. He wants to write good games, but every game he makes has to fit into a canon that started before most players were born.

I mean I know he says that every game it's his last game but even as far back as MGS1 I think this quote is kinda telling

"If I knew MGS1 was not the last game in the series I wouldn't have killed Liquid"

He does a bunch of poo poo to just be like, IT'S DONE THERE BYE and then had to undo it

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Snak posted:

So, as I was first playing MGSV, and there was all this forshadowing of things not being what they seemed, I started to form some crazy theories about what the twist was going to be.

The crux of these are

* Ocelot is not Ocelot. He is an impostor. He is one of the variables designed to convince Venom that he is Big Boss.
* Miller is actually Liquid, which leads us too
* It's not 1984. The walkman, all of the music, all of this is immersion therapy to help reinforce the delusion programmed into Venom that he is Big Boss and it is the 1980s.
* Actually it is 1991. Liquid is using Venom to recruit for the Genome Army
* You aren't fighting the soviets. You aren't in Afghanistan. It's Gulf War 1. Venom has been made to believe that he is fighting Soviet forces in Afghanistan, when actually he is fighting American forces in Iraq.
* Skull Face is Big Boss, post MG2 toasting

Turns out I'm just an idiot.

This is incredible actually. You wrote a better game than they did. Too bad nobody speaks Arabic in the game but yeah Liquid spends like... 5 years in Iraq?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Every MGS is just a mishmash of Kojima's current obsession on the year he sketched out the design document with the insane plot and characters molded to fit whatever came out. The fact that it works really well 90% of the time and comes full circle to some pretty great stories is just a testament to his talent.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
In regards to Skull Face, really my only expectation was that when they said a whole bunch that he was someone from Big Boss' past, I was expecting that he'd be someone from Big Boss' past, and not like, the past of the Metal Gear universe. As it is, they pretty much made up his existence entirely out of nowhere for Ground Zeroes and MGS 5 and that kinda sucks. He didn't even know the guy. There's no personal connection. I didn't think it would literally be a character from MGS3 or Peace Walker since there aren't many of those that don't already have a full history, but someone Big Boss could have reasonably known/known about would've been nice.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Snak posted:

MGS1 - Miller is Liquid is your Brother?!
MGS2 - lol the whole game
MGS3 - Ocelot is the Boss's son, Ocelot was the American agent all a long, EVA was an agent for the Chinese
MGS4 - MGS3 support team was the original Patriots, Naomi back-and-forth spies as much as Ocelot used to, turns out Ocelot only hypnotized himself into thinking he was Liquid in order to evade the Patriots, Big Boss was alive all along and so was Zero, whole lotta other reveals that were actually pretty cool and not lame no not at all "This is good, isn't it?"
MGSV - you guessed it from the first 10 minutes of the game.
Fixed that for ya...

That said, a giant twist about it being the 90s etc would have been way better but typical Kojima duped all our expectations as usual and didn't have a good twist at all.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Maybe the twist was that there was no twist for real because we were waiting for it and it was spoiled in the first few moments of game.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

CJacobs posted:

In regards to Skull Face, really my only expectation was that when they said a whole bunch that he was someone from Big Boss' past, I was expecting that he'd be someone from Big Boss' past, and not like, the past of the Metal Gear universe. As it is, they pretty much made up his existence entirely out of nowhere for Ground Zeroes and MGS 5 and that kinda sucks. He didn't even know the guy. There's no personal connection. I didn't think it would literally be a character from MGS3 or Peace Walker since there aren't many of those that don't already have a full history, but someone Big Boss could have reasonably known/known about would've been nice.

I think the Skull Face character works because his shittiness is consistent through his arc. He comes out of nowhere and is supposed to be a mystery character from the past. He turns out to be a complete nobody with a terrible plan who dies without a boss fight. He isn't the arch-villain who's constantly one-step ahead of Miller and Venom, that's only who he thinks he is. He's actually self-absorbed douchebag that messed with the wrong people, and those people methodically hunt him down and dismember him with a shotgun.

You could give him credit for disabling Zero, but that really was cutting the head off the Hydra. Zero went vegetable and was replaced by Sigint and his AI Patriots.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DaveKap posted:

Fixed that for ya...

That said, a giant twist about it being the 90s etc would have been way better but typical Kojima duped all our expectations as usual and didn't have a good twist at all.

The game does start and end in 1995.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I'm still not sure why Skull Face thought it was a good idea to gently caress with Big Boss. Ignorance isn't even an excuse because he was in on Snake Eater, he knows what the man is capable of. He outsniped the inventor of sniping, beat the greatest soldier ever even though she was his mentor, and rolled Volgin. Sure, he had help and other people were spies but Snake won those fights while horribly maimed, maybe don't do something that horribly maims him or threatens to?

What the gently caress did Skull Face think was going to happen?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
He didnt fight that guy though he fought some random guy who stood next to him once

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Skull Face has about the same level of cunning and characterization as Cobra Commander so maybe don't burn too many brain cells trying to figure him out.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
In the other thread I posted some examples of dialog that could really spice up the Skulls fights.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nakar posted:

I'm still not sure why Skull Face thought it was a good idea to gently caress with Big Boss. Ignorance isn't even an excuse because he was in on Snake Eater, he knows what the man is capable of. He outsniped the inventor of sniping, beat the greatest soldier ever even though she was his mentor, and rolled Volgin. Sure, he had help and other people were spies but Snake won those fights while horribly maimed, maybe don't do something that horribly maims him or threatens to?

If you're just reading the debriefing its easy to convince yourself Big Boss is a huge idiot. He would have ruined the entire operation by ignoring opsec because of a great rack a sweet custom pistol if not for Adam taking care of the details independently.

But I think Skull Face is characteristically an idiot, whether that was intended by the writing or not. He basically sees Snake as a toady of Zero's to symbolically chump on his way to demolishing Cipher.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Nakar posted:

Skull Face knew from prior experiences that Snake will walk right into an obvious trap and get himself captured sooner or later. Instead of immediately executing him like he should, he takes him cruising and shows him his sweet anime robot.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Broseph Brostar posted:

Skull Face knew from prior experiences that Snake will walk right into an obvious trap and get himself captured sooner or later. Instead of immediately executing him like he should, he takes him cruising and shows him his sweet anime robot.

The most generous and gracious mgs villain.

NeilPerry
May 2, 2010
Villains ignoring the main protagonist is such a staple of this kind of fiction that it just shouldn't even register anymore. Just go with it.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
Skull face imagines himself as the big faceless (heh) puppetmaster and refuses to kill who he thought was Big Boss at every point he could. Skullface had him point-blank at Nzo ya Badiabulu but let Fire man do the work. He could have crushed him in Sally's fist in Where the Bees Sleep. The jeep ride. He tells Quiet to let loose and gives her parasites in case the bullets don't work. He has contingencies after contingencies but he seems to forget that those are plan B. This is super ironic. In every other MGS, if a lucky mook kills the hero, the big plan falls apart. Skull face actually, sincerely wants Big Boss dead.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I remember when skull face was first shown, people were lining up his facial structure with other characters to determine his mysterious identity.

Oh wait it's just some douche with a plan that is never referenced in any of the other games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MGSV: it's just some douche with a plan that is never referenced in any of the other games

Good thread title material here.

• Locked thread