Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
MGS 2 is the ebst of the bunch because it's the biggest trolling attempt in gaming and it worked. It's also fairly visionary commentary on the following 15 years. And it's used to teach Information theory ins chools (or that could be an internet urban legend).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

Best 12-minute long speech in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

KayTee posted:

The game also features bikini shots of a 12/14 - year old. That seems to have gone under the radar.

Paz is ~20 years old. That doesn't excuse the awful introduction of the character in Peace Walker, but there you go.

E:

watho posted:

Yes, how dare they express their opinion on something!

My point was that saying the MG series in general is bad is something that will cause a thread derail. Whether or not I agreed with that sentiment is irrelevant.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 12, 2015

All Frogs
Sep 18, 2014

The Vosgian Beast posted:

You guys sound like a bunch of loving nerds who prefer Monopoly to Clue

Clue is a better movie than a board game.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

All Frogs posted:

Clue is a better movie than a board game.

This is inarguable

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MonsieurChoc posted:

MGS 2 is the ebst of the bunch because it's the biggest trolling attempt in gaming and it worked. It's also fairly visionary commentary on the following 15 years. And it's used to teach Information theory ins chools (or that could be an internet urban legend).

I highly recommend this video on MGS2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx2dgVKYWWU (Be sure to enable subtitles, as the narrator's voice is hard to hear.)

It does a good job at describing the ideas behind MGS2 and it's theme of information and memes. It also shows how in retrospect, the rest of series (Snake Eater excluded) was unnecessary.

Augus posted:

Quiet ruined video gaming forever by having a dumb booby design
I think this was brought up earlier in the thread. Quiet's design is dumb, and the whole photosynthetic skin is a weak, hand-wave explanation. Like Jim Sterling pointed out, if she's supposed to be like The End, then why didn't he run around in the nude?

At the same time, though, I feel like Quiet set up the framework for a much better idea. At the start of the game, I had thought that maybe her outfit had to do with some kind of phobia or trauma with being set on fire during the hospital sequence.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 13, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Speaking of Jim Sterling. This week's Jimquizition is the continuing adventures of Digital Homicide, wth a very special update about MGS5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbqxPgK87dM

On one hand these guys and Konami are becoming a dead horse for Jim. On the other hand, Holy Hell these guys are a piece of work.

Also, did we talk about the new Tequila and Bonetti? :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfPpmzQbX2Q

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

MonsieurChoc posted:

That entire last act of the game is still legitimately unsettling. Too bad Kojima's horror game was canceled, it might've been something really special

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

I can't believe these men should feel ashamed of their words & deeds!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

At the same time, though, I feel like Quiet set up the framework for a much better idea. At the start of the game, I had thought that maybe her outfit had to do with some kind of phobia or trauma with being set on fire during the hospital sequence.

A part of me really wonders if that was the idea originally, because then the comment about "being ashamed of their words and deeds" could make some sense, if Quiet's nudity is a trauma coping mechanism. But, you know, this would make Quiet not sexy at all, and kinda gross to get turned on by (see also: Asuka from Evangelion), and Kojima wanted Quiet to be sexy, so it got changed to the current guilt-free "justification".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Andrast posted:

Other MGS games are also from a time when the portrayal of women in video games wasn't such a hot button issue.

(The Beauty and the Beast squad is still the worst though)

The BB Corps is pretty dumb and fanservicey, but even then there's still a modicum of sense to the designs with the bodysuits looking like they might kinda-sorta be important to control their power armor, and if you stuck a guy in them they'd probably wear the exact same thing. Even the FROG's at least look reasonably sensible for what they are (tight lightweight armor for all that jumping around). Again, the answer for both is absolutely "fanservice", but not fully at the expense of other elements of the designs.

Quiet's outfit gets laughed out the door because it's just pure uncut fanservice with as flimsy a justification as possible. As we've all mentioned earlier, there's better ways to get the same premise without as stupid an outfit.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Whatever happened to todd anyway, last I heard he was getting hosed by the content id thing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Besides the fan service I actually really like Quiet as a character. Her fan service bothers me more even though it isn't quite as gratuitous as the BB Corp, because the BB Corp were lame anyway and adding or subtracting dumb fan service wouldn't change how lame they were. With Quiet though the issue of her design distracts from the actual character herself. Which kinda makes it an objectively bad design.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Alaois posted:

this kind of post doesn't really make sense when one side of the argument can be pretty well described as a group of budding serial killers

I don't disagree with you. My point is that no matte the discussion, no matter the side, no matter the rightness/wrongness of the position-- that is how every single one of those "conversations" goes. Not just GG. Everything. Literally everything.

Alaois posted:

e: i'm sorry that's unnecessary, there's probably more spree killers in there than serial killers

I see them more as poo poo-flingers who rip the limbs off small mammals for fun.

No, not monkeys. Humans, with computers and jobs-- who still throw literal poo poo and torture small animals out of enjoyment.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

DStecks posted:

A part of me really wonders if that was the idea originally, because then the comment about "being ashamed of their words and deeds" could make some sense, if Quiet's nudity is a trauma coping mechanism. But, you know, this would make Quiet not sexy at all, and kinda gross to get turned on by (see also: Asuka from Evangelion), and Kojima wanted Quiet to be sexy, so it got changed to the current guilt-free "justification".

Exactly. There was an opportunity to defy expectations.

At the same time, though, I wonder if that was the original idea, perhaps they dropped it because they felt it was too dark or they didn't feel comfortable dealing with something more serious.

I don't want to spoil more of the game (mostly because I haven't finished it yet), but if you search around the medical platform, you'll discover a room where you find Paz. It's then shown in flashback that the end of Ground Zeroes was a fake-out; they found the second bomb, and the explosion that took down the chopper was from a rocket launcher. Paz survived falling into the ocean (again) and now has amnesia.

It comes across as Kojima (and/or maybe the rest of the team) taking the criticism of the really dark tone in Ground Zeroes and ret-conning it in Phantom Pain. That makes me wonder if, in turn, they altered other elements of the Phantom Pain to further move away from that tone, and Quiet's backstory was one of the things changed.

Mind you, that's just speculation, though. There was a year-and-a-half of time in-between GZ and TPP, which may or may not be enough time to alter anything to that level (assuming anything was actually altered.) Like I said, I haven't finished the game yet (I'm only up to Mission 21), so I'm only going off what I've seen and some of the miscellaneous things I've read and heard.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.
These hobbits are pawns!

I can't believe they will control the fate of Middle Earth.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

lornekates posted:

These hobbits are pawns!

I can't believe they will control the fate of Middle Earth.

Next, they will be hailed as the true messengers or Eru Iluvatar!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Max Wilco posted:

I highly recommend this video on MGS2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx2dgVKYWWU (Be sure to enable subtitles, as the narrator's voice is hard to hear.)

It does a good job at describing the ideas behind MGS2 and it's theme of information and memes. It also shows how in retrospect, the rest of series (Snake Eater excluded) was unnecessary.

That's a nice video, thanks.

Edit: here's another guy trying to make sense of it.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 13, 2015

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Well that was an interesting analysis of a game series I never got the chance to get into.

Though personally I haven't the sense of horror and dread from hearing that speech and those two vids.

I guess my hatred of postmodern art does that to me. Bunch of twats making a quick buck by being the laziest guy with the best sly tongue and pretty words. "There is no objective reality that's why having standards of any sort is so silly to have, what is historical and actual reasoning behind intent"

Yes I know there's more to it. No it does not make me hate it even less. It's like a waving flag to me.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 13, 2015

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Genetic Toaster posted:

I can't believe these men should feel ashamed of their words & deeds!

I can't believe these men may control the copulation of the vocal cord parasites.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

At the same time, though, I wonder if that was the original idea, perhaps they dropped it because they felt it was too dark or they didn't feel comfortable dealing with something more serious.

There's more to it. Keep finding pictures.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

TheMaestroso posted:

E:

My point was that saying the MG series in general is bad is something that will cause a thread derail. Whether or not I agreed with that sentiment is irrelevant.
I get that, I'm just saying that it's stupid that whenever you express a negative opinion about MGS (or Dark Souls) you get an avalanche of people trying to justify it. Sorry if my original reply came off unnecessarily snarky, I've had a bad weekend.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

watho posted:

I get that, I'm just saying that it's stupid that whenever you express a negative opinion about MGS (or Dark Souls) you get an avalanche of people trying to justify it. Sorry if my original reply came off unnecessarily snarky, I've had a bad weekend.

It's almost like this is a forum where people will respond to you when you post something they disgaree with. Crazy.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arbite posted:

There's more to it. Keep finding pictures.

Also the last picture will be on the wall outside her room. After. iirc, ten mother base soldier missions.

Max Wilco posted:

I think this was brought up earlier in the thread. Quiet's design is dumb, and the whole photosynthetic skin is a weak, hand-wave explanation. Like Jim Sterling pointed out, if she's supposed to be like The End, then why didn't he run around in the nude?

Re: Quiet There's some justification in that The End had functional lungs whereas hers are burnt to the point of uselessness.. Code Talker also has some parasites in him yet he eats and breathes normally. There's just a difference between having the parasites as a symbiotic power giver and a life support system. Her design is still dumb as poo poo, but overall there's some hamhanded logic.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 13, 2015

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
We all agree that Kevin Owens will play Solid Snake in the film though, right?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Andrast posted:

It's almost like this is a forum where people will respond to you when you post something they disgaree with. Crazy.
Everything everyone says should automatically become the new and permanent consensus. It's the only way forward, imo.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Mr. Fowl posted:

The documentary that Mike and Jay mentioned during the Everest Half in the Bag is pretty good. I get why they said it would make a good movie.

This is from a few days back but if anyone is interested to chat about polar exploration or Antarctic travel, then there is a thread on it in the Book Barn:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655083

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

KayTee posted:

We all agree that Kevin Owens will play Solid Snake in the film though, right?

~scott steiner voice~ He's too fat

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

~scott steiner voice~ He's too fat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of8kY_IbYq4

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Mokinokaro posted:

Also the last picture will be on the wall outside her room. After. iirc, ten mother base soldier missions.

Re: Quiet There's some justification in that The End had functional lungs whereas hers are burnt to the point of uselessness.. Code Talker also has some parasites in him yet he eats and breathes normally. There's just a difference between having the parasites as a symbiotic power giver and a life support system. Her design is still dumb as poo poo, but overall there's some hamhanded logic.

This almost makes it worse, how did her lungs manage to be irreparably burnt but her skin comes back unblemished with crazy photosynthesis powers?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i am tim! posted:

This almost makes it worse, how did her lungs manage to be irreparably burnt but her skin comes back unblemished with crazy photosynthesis powers?

Nanomachines Parasites

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

i am tim! posted:

Not a lot of sunlight hits your lungs I suppose...

Whichever answer it is that leads to her wearing next to no clothes - that'll be the correct one.

vv see. vv

KayTee fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 13, 2015

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

i am tim! posted:

Code Talker gives a ridiculous explanation that the parasites basically replaced her skin. It's also why she can turn invisible.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
So her skin gets regenerated into super photosynthetic invisibility skin, but they can't fix her lungs. The parasites can also infest her vocal cords and somehow become a virulent plague if she speaks English, but her lungs are no good now.

Gotcha.

EDIT: vv Is that Philadelphia Collins?

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 13, 2015

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Or ffs, they could also have said "her invisibility only works when she's nude because her clothes don't turn invisible", but her clothes do turn invisible.

But in the end if you actually want the character design to work, you gotta do something genuinely satirical with "super-sexy naked lady who can't talk", that's such an intensely misogynistic idea that you can't get away with "but the lore makes it ok".

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

DStecks posted:

Or ffs, they could also have said "her invisibility only works when she's nude because her clothes don't turn invisible", but her clothes do turn invisible.

But in the end if you actually want the character design to work, you gotta do something genuinely satirical with "super-sexy naked lady who can't talk", that's such an intensely misogynistic idea that you can't get away with "but the lore makes it ok".

Going with "We just wanted tits in the game" would have been a less embarrassing/stupid option.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Andrast posted:

Going with "We just wanted tits in the game" would have been a less embarrassing/stupid option.

AAA games (to say nothing of MGS) are far too steeped in pretense for you to ever hear this from a game studio. Hi, Bioware!

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Quiet is an awful design with terrible plot holes. At least she was incredibly useful and cool in-gameplay.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

DStecks posted:

AAA games (to say nothing of MGS) are far too steeped in pretense for you to ever hear this from a game studio. Hi, Bioware!

There kinda is a way to do this and not make it completely stupid though. And Hideo has done it.

In Snake Eater the first thing Eva does when you meet her is get her knockers out. No reason other than to show the world that bras are beneath her.

It's pure fanservice BUT it has a reason in that Eva is deliberately trying to seduce Snake.

And there you go. Fanservice and a non bullshitty, perfectly plausable reason for it that serves the story. (Whereas Quiet's nudity doesn't - nor did the BB Corps)

At one point in Snake Eater Eva gets horribly burnt (well electrocuted) and winds up with huge holes in her nylons...

Goddamnit Hideo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It's almost as if the plot and the characters in MGS3 are much better thought out than in MGS5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

KayTee posted:

It's pure fanservice BUT it has a reason in that Eva is deliberately trying to seduce Snake.

I rarely have any issue with sexiness if it's also in-universe sexiness, but 99% of the time video game sexiness is totally oblivious to the actual characters.

• Locked thread