Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Flash and crew straight up murdered the bad guy and glossed over it.

I didn't like that episode.

I'm sure Cisco will write a Tumblr post absolving team Flash of all moral ambiguities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Flash and crew straight up murdered the bad guy and glossed over it.

I didn't like that episode.

This was really bad (they could finagle it that he survived and that he's in the prison) and it's obviously something
that happens because the show runs short rather than the characters thinking they should do this.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
The guy already died so it's cool for them to kill him again. :v:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It was suicide!

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Everyone complained about super-gitmo, so this was the logical next step. I hope this entire season is full of creative ways to kill the different metahuman villains that pop up.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

He's a drat parallel universe immigrant, he has no rights here!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Make them science up really mundane ways of killing someone.

He controls his powers with his mind, Barry! Sufficient head trauma should disable him, but if you get too close you'll fall under his influence. Cisco has been working on a device that should be able to take him out from a distance. It uses a mix of chemical powders to fire a lead projectile. He was able to contain the propellant inside a small cartridge, so you get a few tries if you miss but it is not unlimited so be careful!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
He has magnetic powers Barry! Lead is a non-ferrous material, so use this lead pipe upside his head. Howver, he could get back up, so keeping going, so he can't get us. Be careful!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

This guy is too powerful for you Barry! But he eats at Franco's every Wednesday so Caitlin is just going to get a job as a waitress and poison his food, we got this one.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Can't wait for Season 5 to go full on Minority Report and murder people before they even become supervillains.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Barry can just run back in time and speed bag their father's nutsack and boom no more criminals.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Something to consider is that if they're really going for the whole "Trial of the Flash" storyline, his kill count may not be a thing they ignore entirely.

Unlike, just for instance, Super Gitmo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

Something to consider is that if they're really going for the whole "Trial of the Flash" storyline, his kill count may not be a thing they ignore entirely.

Unlike, just for instance, Super Gitmo.

I know I know that's :thejoke:, but that's some solid wishful thinking that will probably never come to pass.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
They've already teased it during last season's finale. When Barry was running back in time, he saw a vision of himself in prison, talking to someone through the prison glass phone thing.

To be clear btw, I'm not saying them nuking Atom Smasher into a slow painful death isn't some dumb lazy thoughtless thing that I've been calling out the show on since forever (Funny how everyone in last season's thread was tripping all over themselves to defend Super Gitmo; how the times have changed, eh?). I'm just saying, canonically, in the comics, the Flash killing his enemies doesn't come totally out of left field.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Aphrodite posted:

Make them science up really mundane ways of killing someone.

He controls his powers with his mind, Barry! Sufficient head trauma should disable him, but if you get too close you'll fall under his influence. Cisco has been working on a device that should be able to take him out from a distance. It uses a mix of chemical powders to fire a lead projectile. He was able to contain the propellant inside a small cartridge, so you get a few tries if you miss but it is not unlimited so be careful!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

They've already teased it during last season's finale. When Barry was running back in time, he saw a vision of himself in prison, talking to someone through the prison glass phone thing.

To be clear btw, I'm not saying them nuking Atom Smasher into a slow painful death isn't some dumb lazy thoughtless thing that I've been calling out the show on since forever (Funny how everyone in last season's thread was tripping all over themselves to defend Super Gitmo; how the times have changed, eh?). I'm just saying, canonically, in the comics, the Flash killing his enemies doesn't come totally out of left field.

Yeah, but I beat a year one or two Flash didn't go around killing people...much less running head first into enemies and letting them punch him all the goddamned time because he was a goddamned retard moron.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I mean, hell, if he's that fast, it must seem like they're taking two minutes to swing a punch at him. Is he just so lazy that he won't dodge to the left for a subjective two seconds?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Drifter posted:

I don't think that's an issue at all. If you happen to be a Flash Speedster (as Barry is and has been shown to be) and not a Ramjet speedster, like the depictions of Superman and Faora in MoS - where you can travel fast, but can't do fine motor work at super speed - then you (Barry) can goddamned well move out of the way of a stupid loving punch or grasping arm or cold beam. He's just literally loving retarded.

And yeah, I would love to see Grodd elevated to season villain. :allears:

They mention that the cold causes him to slow down a bit. The gun was created as an anti-speeder weapon.

The set up also made it seem that Zoom could end up being Ronnie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bobkatt013 posted:

They mention that the cold causes him to slow down a bit. The gun was created as an anti-speeder weapon.

Yes, hmm, just let me stand still while someone takes literally (my time) 10 minutes to aim and shoot a straight line weapon at me.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

bobkatt013 posted:

You don't think with last season, Eddie being sucked up into the vortex, it could be him?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Drifter posted:

Yes, hmm, just let me stand still while someone takes literally (my time) 10 minutes to aim and shoot a straight line weapon at me.

So should they just take all the fight scenes out of the show entirely? Because outside of speedsters, no-one should be able to even lay a finger on Barry, and in the first 3 seconds of a fight he should be able to punch them upside the head often enough that they forget how to math. Is that interesting or fun to watch every week?

His enemies being able to fight him effectively is a narrative conceit to keep the show interesting. The comics do the same thing (as those enemies who are fighting him are also his comic book enemies). That isnt going to change. Its like being overly concerned with if his stated top speeds match the speeds we see him running at; No they dont because this is just a comic book show and top speed of the Flash is now, and has always been, exactly as fast as he needs to run for this to work. Or more precisely, slightly slower than that at the start of the story but if he pushes himself and really believes then exactly that fast.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Pan Dulce posted:

You don't think with last season, Eddie being sucked up into the vortex, it could be him?

Eddie is a regular on ABC's sexy FBI agents show.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
The great thing about Barry + Guns is he could fire a whole magazine at someone from however many different angles there are bullets in less than a second. The only limiting factor would be the speed of the mechanisms on the gun itself. It would be a horrifying sequence, someone going from normal -> Swiss cheese instantaneously.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You don't want us to shove the villains in a 5x5 dark box without a trial, you don't want us to kill them, Jesus what else could we possibly do?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

It's not that he gets beat up that's annoying. It's that they also show he's fast enough to catch a bullet as soon as he feels it touch his neck and pull it away from killing him.

He's that fast. But he then gets hit.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SiKboy posted:

So should they just take all the fight scenes out of the show entirely? Because outside of speedsters, no-one should be able to even lay a finger on Barry, and in the first 3 seconds of a fight he should be able to punch them upside the head often enough that they forget how to math. Is that interesting or fun to watch every week?

His enemies being able to fight him effectively is a narrative conceit to keep the show interesting. The comics do the same thing (as those enemies who are fighting him are also his comic book enemies). That isnt going to change. Its like being overly concerned with if his stated top speeds match the speeds we see him running at; No they dont because this is just a comic book show and top speed of the Flash is now, and has always been, exactly as fast as he needs to run for this to work. Or more precisely, slightly slower than that at the start of the story but if he pushes himself and really believes then exactly that fast.
Well this is a rather reductive and childlike argument. I'm saying they could do it better. If the options for the fighting are "Barry's an idiot but resolves it later" or "Barry resolves it later" I think narratively the latter is easily the best. But how about if there were a third option? One where Barry's NOT an idiot and manages to resolve it?

The show shows us the scope of his powers, which should NEVER let him get hit by a normal speeded person. He can delicately pluck a bullet from the back of his neck between the time it takes for it to touch him to it _almost_ breaking his skin. That's how fast and controlled he is, not to mention all the other examples out there - he can rebuild a freaking destroyed coffeehouse in the span of a few minutes. But here he is, getting punched and thrown around every god damned day. Honestly it's just lazy writing. And laziness is so damned annoying. There are better _dramatic_ opportunities.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Drifter posted:

Well this is a rather reductive and childlike argument. I'm saying they could do it better. If the options for the fighting are "Barry's an idiot but resolves it later" or "Barry resolves it later" I think narratively the latter is easily the best. But how about if there were a third option? One where Barry's NOT an idiot and manages to resolve it?

The show shows us the scope of his powers, which should NEVER let him get hit by a normal speeded person. He can delicately pluck a bullet from the back of his neck between the time it takes for it to touch him to it _almost_ breaking his skin. That's how fast and controlled he is, not to mention all the other examples out there - he can rebuild a freaking destroyed coffeehouse in the span of a few minutes. But here he is, getting punched and thrown around every god damned day. Honestly it's just lazy writing. And laziness is so damned annoying. There are better _dramatic_ opportunities.

What other options are there? Barry is essentially god-like, and short of fighting other god-like enemies, or an enemy that can "depower" him, there is not much more you can do.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

BrianWilly posted:

I agree, but I think the reason people are annoyed is because one thing the show does is make distinctions between Barry and Oliver Queen. One of those major distinctions is that while Oliver has killed a number of his enemies, and will probably do so again despite constantly saying he won't, Barry has stated that he doesn't think that's right. Hell there's even a long scene in episode 22 where Joe tells Barry that he's not Oliver and he shouldn't have to be like him.

In the comics there is definitely a police cop mentality to Barry's belief that it should be okay to kill some people if they're major threats, but that same mentality hasn't really come up in the show just yet. I don't think he exactly cries when murderers get what's coming to them, but he never seemed like someone who would be comfortable doing the deed himself.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TyrantWD posted:

What other options are there? Barry is essentially god-like, and short of fighting other god-like enemies, or an enemy that can "depower" him, there is not much more you can do.

Going up against enemies that don't face him openly (because that's really dumb).
Finding ways to stop bad guys and protect people without resorting to violence.
Having enemies that are a genuine threat to him despite his powers.
Dealing with problems other than bad guys.

All of those options have been used in the show, they're just mixed in with problems that really should be trivial if his powers worked consistently.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Ex

The Red Queen posted:

The great thing about Barry + Guns is he could fire a whole magazine at someone from however many different angles there are bullets in less than a second. The only limiting factor would be the speed of the mechanisms on the gun itself. It would be a horrifying sequence, someone going from normal -> Swiss cheese instantaneously.
Except he's limited by the speed at which the gun can fire.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For what it's worth, Barry seems to need a moment to activate his speed. Sometimes it's happened as a reflex (the bullet, the lightning strike in the pilot) but mostly he doesn't have the fine control the comic book Flash has yet.

There's no reason he should be dropping out of speed to fight though.

Oracle posted:

Except he's limited by the speed at which the gun can fire.

Come on, you know the answer.

Speed...

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Going up against enemies that don't face him openly (because that's really dumb).
Finding ways to stop bad guys and protect people without resorting to violence.
Having enemies that are a genuine threat to him despite his powers.
Dealing with problems other than bad guys.

All of those options have been used in the show, they're just mixed in with problems that really should be trivial if his powers worked consistently.

Enemies that don't directly confront Barry aren't all that threatening. Unless they act through robot-bees, the villain's goons will be subdued and Barry can search every building in the city before Cisco can search for the guy's name on google. As for stopping bad guys without violence - I'm pretty sure beating up bad guys is one of the rules of being a superhero.

No one is a genuine threat to Barry unless they have powers that are greater or equal to his own - and how many people like that are really out there? Unless The Flash was a 3 episode season show like Sherlock where Barry could face off exclusively against mega-threats, he is going to have to job to villains who shouldn't stand a chance.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

TyrantWD posted:

Enemies that don't directly confront Barry aren't all that threatening. Unless they act through robot-bees, the villain's goons will be subdued and Barry can search every building in the city before Cisco can search for the guy's name on google. As for stopping bad guys without violence - I'm pretty sure beating up bad guys is one of the rules of being a superhero.

No one is a genuine threat to Barry unless they have powers that are greater or equal to his own - and how many people like that are really out there? Unless The Flash was a 3 episode season show like Sherlock where Barry could face off exclusively against mega-threats, he is going to have to job to villains who shouldn't stand a chance.

So you're point is that because Barry is so powerful instead of writing competently the writers should just throw their hands in the air and have Barry charge directly at a big muscly dude and get punched in the face?

I think that's idiotic but you're in luck, the writers appear to agree with you.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

There's no reason he should be dropping out of speed to fight though.

Yeah there is. The show has explicitly shown him get tired and winded after using his speed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Here is every villain confrontation: He shows up running in at super speed, stops, talks to them a bit, and then runs at them at normal speed.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

TyrantWD posted:

That robo-bees episode was pretty dumb. They're delicate flying machines, so Flap your hands Barry, flap your hands.
a Strong wind or a vacuum should let him pass them.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ Or at least do the "Flash" goto special skill of running in a circle really fast.

"Flash, the world's getting destroyed!"
"Don't worry, I'll just run in a circle."

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah there is. The show has explicitly shown him get tired and winded after using his speed.

And it also shows him running through the entire city and getting to where he's going completely not out of breath of tired at all.

I think he may only get 'winded' when he tried to push his limits...which are far beyond the punch or aim speed of a person.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 13, 2015

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

TyrantWD posted:

It's really too bad, because I think Flash and probably other shows might work better if they didn't have to do monster-of-the-week stuff to sustain the casual audience. I would love to see The Flash face off exclusively against mega-threats. Do a Sherlock format of long, 90-minute episodes, or break them up into weekly episodes to fit the 22-episode network schedule, but with each chunk of 4-5 episodes being their own Sherlock-style arc. I just don't think the networks would accept a primetime show like the Flash that didn't wrap up some story each week and made you watch several weeks in a row to get any closure.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phenotype posted:

22-episode network schedule

This is the main problem with Arrow and Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Phenotype posted:

It's really too bad, because I think Flash and probably other shows might work better if they didn't have to do monster-of-the-week stuff to sustain the casual audience. I would love to see The Flash face off exclusively against mega-threats. Do a Sherlock format of long, 90-minute episodes, or break them up into weekly episodes to fit the 22-episode network schedule, but with each chunk of 4-5 episodes being their own Sherlock-style arc. I just don't think the networks would accept a primetime show like the Flash that didn't wrap up some story each week and made you watch several weeks in a row to get any closure.

MacheteZombie posted:

This is the main problem with Arrow and Flash.

With Legends of Tomorrow, it's only 13 episodes for the stated reason of having a much more focused story arc. So we can see how much of a difference this will make. I'm hopeful.

• Locked thread