Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
At some point in the last six months Google got surly and hosed up my contacts. I have nine entries for my father and every single person I've ever emailed has an entry now. Is there a way to undo this or do I have a weekend purge that I need to schedule? It's very infuriating. It also occurred on my wife's iPhone connected to her Google account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mega Comrade posted:

Sony's gaming arm is the exception to the rule. It's the only department not hemorrhaging money last I looked.

Sony could shut down everything that's not PS4 and cameras/camera sensors and probably be more profitable.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Not really. This question comes up almost every page, but the 2015 Moto G is basically the smallest phone (5 inch screen) that's recommended here at the moment and it has budget phone specs. The fact that nobody is trying to capitalize on that fact makes me think that there's not much of a price break to manufacturers in going from a larger phone to a smaller one. There may perhaps even be a cost impact if larger phones make it easier to do things like cool SOC's.

If anything doing things smaller could be more expensive. It's harder to cram a bunch of components, antenna, etc. into a smaller space.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Guys, our phone choices are decided!

http://www.androidcentral.com/pepsi-rumored-be-stepping-smartphone-game

quote:

Pepsi may be the last company you would associate with smartphones, but according to a new leak the company may have an Android phone in the works. Dubbed the Pepsi P1, the smartphone is said to feature a 5.5-inch 1080p display, powered by a 1.7GHz MediaTek processor and 2GB of RAM. The smartphone shows a 13MP shooter in the back, with a 5MP front-facing camera. Internally, the P1 may contain 16GB of storage with no word on whether its expandable with a microSD card or not. To get you through the day, the specs list a 3,000mAh battery, and the Pepsi P1 is likely to launch with Lollipop installed.

Only $205! In China.

Also.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/10/12/verizon-and-att-moto-x-2nd-gen-may-see-android-6-0-update-after-all/

At appears that the Verizon and AT&T 2nd Gen Moto X have gotten wifi certification on Marshmallow. So, it seems a build exists. So, it's possible that plans are still being finalized with those carriers to roll the update and that's why they haven't commented.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 12, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

I hope hotsauce buys a pepsi phone

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Have you guys heard of Dashlane?

But for real. For those who're looking for a LastPass alternative now, it's actually pretty good. Unlike 1Password, has a decent looking and functioning Android and Windows desktop app. The only downside is the subscription fee, but I've gotten plenty of "three/six months free" offers for it.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
I'm having a weird problem with Netflix on my N7 (2013) after upgrading to 6.0. The video starts playing playing, and freezes up about 30 seconds in, but the audio keeps playing. I don't have this issue on my Moto X, Chromecast, laptop, or PS4. Has anyone encountered this before?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I _think_ I may have figured this one out. Go to news.google.com and adjust your settings there. I have been getting stories from the New York Times persistently despite marking each of them as not interesting. Could be worse. Could be Fox News.
Oh thank you for this! I used to get 10+ articles every time I opened the google app, often the same articles I had marked as uninteresting 30 minutes earlier.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Gimme a Pepsi Phone Free

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
What day is HFCS chat?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

I hope hotsauce buys a pepsi phone

Nah, holding out for the obviously superior Coke phone.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Can someone wrap grip tape around a can of Pepsi Max and put it in their cargo jorts for me?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Bhodi posted:

I've gotten multiple updates on my Nexus 6. I'm a Fi customer, so I think we get them early and often, but marshmallow hasn't dropped yet, I think it's just been security-related updates.

How you liking Fi?

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
To update from earlier this morning (middle of last page of thread):

My Nexus 5 just downloaded and is installing marshmallow OTA.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Someone on Reddit got hold of an engineering sample 6P and did some low-light comparisons with his iPhone 6.

http://imgur.com/a/dfgLs

Not bad at all :)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

beerinator posted:

To update from earlier this morning (middle of last page of thread):

My Nexus 5 just downloaded and is installing marshmallow OTA.

The OTAs were available last Tuesday!

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

baka kaba posted:

The OTAs were available last Tuesday!

But mine didn't come Over The Air until today. Someone was asking about that on the last page.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Gimme a Pepsi Phone Free

If you want a Pepsi Phone, pal, you're gonna pay for it.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Endless Mike posted:

If you want a Pepsi Phone, pal, you're gonna pay for it.

Fine just give me a Galaxy Tab.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Hughmoris posted:

How you liking Fi?
The phone is too big for me but the service is great in my area, it's the best service that I've had overseas period, and the price is half what I was paying verizon.

The only problem i've had is starting group MMS messaging, which is supposed to be fixed in hangouts 5 (which should drop today? tomorrow? soon)

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Bhodi posted:

The phone is too big for me but the service is great in my area, it's the best service that I've had overseas period, and the price is half what I was paying verizon.

The only problem i've had is starting group MMS messaging, which is supposed to be fixed in hangouts 5 (which should drop today? tomorrow? soon)

Already on apk mirror if you don't like waiting.
http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/hangouts/

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

repiv posted:

Someone on Reddit got hold of an engineering sample 6P and did some low-light comparisons with his iPhone 6.

6P is actually significantly better to my eyes. One nice trend this year has been Android phones finally catching up and even surpassing iPhone in photo quality. Apple should theoretically have an inherent advantage since they can spend way more money and only have to design one product, so I'll be curious to see if this continues through the next generation.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I might take one photo a week, but I'm pretty interested in a Nexus with a good camera.

When I do take a photo I don't want to have to futz around trying to get a blur-free shot. While I'm fine with the quality I can get out of my 2013 Moto X, it's irritating having to try multiple shots to get a good enough photo.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

repiv posted:

I'm optimistic. At the time, my M7 took better than average low light shots. It has since turned into a slow turd that cannot do anything while a podcast downloads and photos get taken about 5 seconds after I push the button. The UltraPixel concept seems solid enough. I hope the lack of OIS doesn't kill it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
One of my bosses is looking to upgrade. He's a big fan of the Galaxy S-series, currently has an S4. The S6 Edge looks kind of gimmicky to me; is it that much better than the regular S6?

Also, I note that neither S6 is mentioned in the OP of the thread; is that just a bit outdated, or are they shittastic phones? Worth noting he's on Verizon; should I just try and talk him into a Droid Turbo instead?

EDIT: While I'm here: what's the consensus on the new Nexus 5X? It looks sexy as hell to me; I jumped on the Nexus 5 train early, so mine is coming up on two years old now, and starting to show its age (shorter battery life, GPS is fussy, compass is starting to go a bit wonky).

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 12, 2015

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Thanatosian posted:

One of my bosses is looking to upgrade. He's a big fan of the Galaxy S-series, currently has an S4. The S6 Edge looks kind of gimmicky to me; is it that much better than the regular S6?

Also, I note that neither S6 is mentioned in the OP of the thread; is that just a bit outdated, or are they shittastic phones?

Both kind of, the phones have little to recommend them other than the camera, and there's pretty much no reason to recommend anything other than a nexus 6P/5X right now, as no other phone is guaranteed to be supported with software updates. Reviews pending, but they look good.

Moto X Pure (Style in the EU) is a decent phone too, but Moto have harmed their reputation for software support recently.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Thanatosian posted:

Also, I note that neither S6 is mentioned in the OP of the thread; is that just a bit outdated, or are they shittastic phones? Worth noting he's on Verizon; should I just try and talk him into a Droid Turbo instead?

EDIT: While I'm here: what's the consensus on the new Nexus 5X? It looks sexy as hell to me; I jumped on the Nexus 5 train early, so mine is coming up on two years old now, and starting to show its age (shorter battery life, GPS is fussy, compass is starting to go a bit wonky).

He should get the S6 Edge only if he likes the the screen's wow factor and looks enough to justify the price difference. If he's considering it only because he thinks he'll get some added practicality out of the edge screen features he should go for the regular Galaxy S6.

The Droid Turbo gets some of the best battery life of any smartphone out at the moment, so if that's what he values most it's a good choice. The S6 has more features and given the latest rumblings from Motorola I'd wager the S6 will be better supported in the long run. Right now it'd be hard to recommend the Turbo over the S6, doubly so if he's already a big fan of the Galaxy S line.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Droid turbo is about to get replaced by verizon's version of the X...play?

The 6P should have mongo battery life too, with the 3450mah battery and marshmallow enhancements.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ilkhan posted:

Droid turbo is about to get replaced by verizon's version of the X...play?

No, the X Play is going to be a Droid MAXX 2. Turbo 2 is going to be it's own animal that has no counterpart right now in Moto's lineup.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ilkhan posted:

The 6P should have mongo battery life too, with the 3450mah battery and marshmallow enhancements.

Isn't the SD810 the antithesis of amazing battery life? The OnePlus Two underclocked the 810 and gained 200mAh over the One, but lost about 20% of the Ones battery life. Same story with the Z3C to Z5C - gained 100mAh but lost about 15% endurance.

We'll find out soon I suppose.

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 12, 2015

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thanatosian posted:

The edge is gimmicky, and I have personally seen some pretty wide variance in build quality, particularly with stress on the screen. There have also been reports (observed here at work) of the charging system (can't recall if it's the wireless charging or fast charging) overheating the vibration motor making it non functional.

YMMV, but those things were enough to keep me on the regular s6 as much as I dig the edge's screen.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thanatosian posted:

Just have him get a regular s6. He's used to Samsungs software so there's no reason to change things up on him if he was a fan of the s4, and the edge is gimmicky.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Just have him get a regular s6. He's used to Samsungs software so there's no reason to change things up on him if he was a fan of the s4, and the edge is gimmicky.
Yeah, this is what I thought. Just wanted some confirmation from the thread. Thanks, all.

Is there a Project Fi thread anywhere, or is this it? Any reason not to switch to it from T-Mobile? Anyone currently using it have some opinions?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Thanatosian posted:

Yeah, this is what I thought. Just wanted some confirmation from the thread. Thanks, all.

Is there a Project Fi thread anywhere, or is this it? Any reason not to switch to it from T-Mobile? Anyone currently using it have some opinions?

Depending on how much data you use, t-mobile might be cheaper.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Thanatosian posted:

You might be interested in checking out the Prepaid Thread

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Super Dude posted:

Depending on how much data you use, t-mobile might be cheaper.
It probably is, but only slightly; I'm on the $30 a month pre-paid "nerd plan" right now (unlimited texts, 5 GB of data, 100 minutes of calls), but I usually only use about a gig a month, and once every three or four months or so, I'll run out of minutes and have to add more money to the account before I can use it. Also, one time I ran out of minutes, but it was on the renewal day, and there's this weird 24-hour lag they have where all I could do was pay for minutes I'd be using the next day, but not that day, so I was without the ability to talk for the day.

It wasn't the end of the world or anything, and T-Mobile has overall been very good to me, but I'd rather not have to worry about refilling minutes ever again, and I'm a huge whore for Google poo poo; I may as well let them own my entire life. Paying a few extra dollars for the convenience (and it would really only be a few) would be fine with me.

SB35 posted:

You might be interested in checking out the Prepaid Thread
I will do so. Danke.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
So I upgraded to Marshmallow on my refurbished Nexus 5 last night.

And then, since I figured I might as well see this Doze thing, I left my phone unplugged from 7PM until about 5AM, when I woke up. I did a bit of light browsing with it during that time, but mostly left it on my desk, where it remained connected to wiifi.

Checked the Battery stats this morning.

That's kind of insane. I certainly don't /expect/ it to fulfill that 21-hour promise, especially since I have to take it to work and everything, but I've rarely seen my Nexus 5 promise a third of that much battery life when full...much less when at 67%.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

maltesh posted:

So I upgraded to Marshmallow on my refurbished Nexus 5 last night.

And then, since I figured I might as well see this Doze thing, I left my phone unplugged from 7PM until about 5AM, when I woke up. I did a bit of light browsing with it during that time, but mostly left it on my desk, where it remained connected to wiifi.

Checked the Battery stats this morning.

That's kind of insane. I certainly don't /expect/ it to fulfill that 21-hour promise, especially since I have to take it to work and everything, but I've rarely seen my Nexus 5 promise a third of that much battery life when full...much less when at 67%.

In the world of smartphones as a whole, losing 33% of battery while on standby for ~10 hours isn't something that should be celebrated as good. In fact it's pretty shocking.

I've seen my own nexus 5 on Marshmallow lose 15% during a 10 minute trip to the shops listening to a podcast, and though it is *slightly* less likely to run out of battery at night, it's still garbage.

For the usage you describe, an iPhone would lose maybe 5%.

I blame the Nexus 5 rather than marshmallow at this point.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

That's still what, expecting to lose over 3% an hour doing nothing? Doesn't seem especially notable, I've had my N5 lose 1 or 2 percent an hour on lollipop when things are behaving

The Doze stuff is partly about giving unused apps less attention over time, so you'll probably see more gains after a few days or weeks, not right after updating. I just hope it's more consistently good, instead of depending on how the planets are aligned

wooger posted:

In the world of smartphones as a whole, losing 33% of battery while on standby for ~10 hours isn't something that should be celebrated as good. In fact it's pretty shocking.

I think that's mostly down to the 'light browsing'?

Really the best thing you can do for your battery life when you're using the thing is turn the brightness down a bit

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 13, 2015

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

5TonsOfFlax posted:

I _think_ I may have figured this one out. Go to news.google.com and adjust your settings there. I have been getting stories from the New York Times persistently despite marking each of them as not interesting. Could be worse. Could be Fox News.

Welp. I was wrong. After changing this setting, I still get articles from the New York Times. :( Sorry for getting your hopes up, everybody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

baka kaba posted:

The Doze stuff is partly about giving unused apps less attention over time, so you'll probably see more gains after a few days or weeks, not right after updating. I just hope it's more consistently good, instead of depending on how the planets are aligned

But why are any apps which aren't audio players / messaging / VoIP apps, or used very recently, even running in the background at all?