Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

DurosKlav posted:

So I like the Konigsburg

Had the round not ended I was probably on my way to an 8th and possibly 9th kill. 3 Turrets with 3 guns, 1 forward 2 rear. The 2 rear turrets have pretty drat good traverse angle though so you dont have to go full broadside to get most of your firepower. 8.9 second reload but drops down to about 6.5 with basic firing training. I think the guns are pretty drat accurate and have some nice shell speed and not too much in the way of dispersion.

Was only my first round in it as well, I didnt even notice until the end that it had torpedoes I could use. If the higher tier cruisers have torpedoes as well I think it will put the final nail in the coffin for the US cruiser line.
So you liked it more than the Omaha? It seems pretty cool, although I'm not sure I care enough to try to get one early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

wdarkk posted:

So you liked it more than the Omaha? It seems pretty cool, although I'm not sure I care enough to try to get one early.

So far ya. Its kind of annoying I dont get any credits from it so I cant really use it to grind credits. You seem to get 100k no matter what so I guess I can grind credits just that the murmansk and marblehead are better ships to do it in.

I certainly like having turrets at tier 5 instead of the Omahas mostly single guns, a lot less worrying about getting my guns to bear.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Oct 13, 2015

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Someone asked about this recently so I'll point out that mouse inversion is finally being added: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/53745-mouse-inversion-and-you/

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DurosKlav posted:

So I like the Konigsburg

Had the round not ended I was probably on my way to an 8th and possibly 9th kill. 3 Turrets with 3 guns, 1 forward 2 rear. The 2 rear turrets have pretty drat good traverse angle though so you dont have to go full broadside to get most of your firepower. 8.9 second reload but drops down to about 6.5 with basic firing training. I think the guns are pretty drat accurate and have some nice shell speed and not too much in the way of dispersion.

Was only my first round in it as well, I didnt even notice until the end that it had torpedoes I could use. If the higher tier cruisers have torpedoes as well I think it will put the final nail in the coffin for the US cruiser line.

EDIT: Doesnt appear to be showing up in my stats page. I really wanted to look at what my accuracy was, I feel like it was above 50%

The Konigsberg is definitely interesting. The fact that 2/3rds of its firepower is mounted in superfiring rear turrets means you lose very little firepower even when running directly away from someone, which can be incredibly amusing(for you). The Cleveland trying to chase me earlier probably wasn't that amused though. And while the torpedoes only have a range of 6 km, the traverse on those launchers is absolutely insane. Probably 160-170 degrees.

Also, your number of hits are displayed right there in the Damage caused section. 378 shots, 139 hits. So good, but still not particularly close to 50%. :colbert:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Lord Koth posted:

The Konigsberg is definitely interesting. The fact that 2/3rds of its firepower is mounted in superfiring rear turrets means you lose very little firepower even when running directly away from someone, which can be incredibly amusing(for you). The Cleveland trying to chase me earlier probably wasn't that amused though. And while the torpedoes only have a range of 6 km, the traverse on those launchers is absolutely insane. Probably 160-170 degrees.

Also, your number of hits are displayed right there in the Damage caused section. 378 shots, 139 hits. So good, but still not particularly close to 50%. :colbert:

You know I never noticed that it showed amount fired before. % not as good as my Japanese cruiser accuracy. :( Really felt like more than 50% though it felt real good.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Hamshot posted:

Which is the best cruiser line where i can brainlessly shoot gun and not be super worried about torps? Currently going up the American bb line and I'm dissatisfied with the colorado with how cruisers will dance around my shells while keeping me lit up.

The St. Louis is rad, but I'd like to go up the tiers. Is the aurora like the St Louis but premium?

No. Get the Murmansk if you're gonna spend money.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Aurora is a slower St. Louis with somewhat worse guns, 7000 less HP, and terrible armor.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

drat I had an awesome 4 kill minekaze game last night right before the event started, now I have to do that poo poo again?

I did manage to unlock the Russian DD today, that thing is kind of a little beast. The torps have been utterly useless so far (lol 4.0 k range), but the guns are super accurate with high velocity. Makes it good at swatting other destroyers, but also for setting multiple fires on larger ships at range since you can actually hit the bow, stern and middle effectively.

Oppressor
Nov 6, 2011

What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolent.

Reztes posted:

drat I had an awesome 4 kill minekaze game last night right before the event started, now I have to do that poo poo again?

I did manage to unlock the Russian DD today, that thing is kind of a little beast. The torps have been utterly useless so far (lol 4.0 k range), but the guns are super accurate with high velocity. Makes it good at swatting other destroyers, but also for setting multiple fires on larger ships at range since you can actually hit the bow, stern and middle effectively.
Do the guns pack a punch?
As in how is the HE damage on Battleships regardless of fires?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

the ussr dd is predictably hilarious. good guns though

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Finally fully upgraded Iowa :911: Now I'm debating whether to resume grinding New Orleans or not, but high tier US cruisers are boring.

nodm
Jul 17, 2011
Not finding any of them anywhere near as fun as BB's or destroyers. The New Orleans was a total slog, Baltimore is slightly better but all in all it's very hard to compete in a US cruiser at Tier IX. Not unlocked the Des Moines yet, but appparently it has the horrible Cleveland firing arc too, so I don't know if I'm going to continue this line either.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

nodm posted:

Not finding any of them anywhere near as fun as BB's or destroyers. The New Orleans was a total slog, Baltimore is slightly better but all in all it's very hard to compete in a US cruiser at Tier IX. Not unlocked the Des Moines yet, but appparently it has the horrible Cleveland firing arc too, so I don't know if I'm going to continue this line either.
Tier 8~10 US cruisers have similar projectile speed/arc as Cleveland. They're not ideal for long range engagement, but with current game flow there is simply no way for US cruisers to get close except rely on concealment (which isn't that great anyway), but you still need to pick area with few enemy and kill enemy ship fast and disengage if there's any enemy backup coming. It's alright when that works, but most games you're left idling around because all the enemy went to one direction so you have nothing to shoot.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

If anyone wants to play with goons, we're having a Terrible Tuesday Game Night with World of Warships tonight, starting at 8:30 pm EST. Join us via Mumble at mumble.goonrathi.com for fun time havings.

We do a new game every Tuesday, so everyone that comes (outside of this thread) will be total noobs, so expect lots of terrible Tier I-III games where everyone forms up and competes to ram the enemy team for victory.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Aesis posted:

but high tier US cruisers are boring.

High tier IJN cruisers too.
Only the 155mm mogami was good but now that it's been nerfed it seems you're sailing the exact same boat from T7 to T9 (lol if you bought the Atago).

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Krogort posted:

Only the 155mm mogami was good but now that it's been nerfed it seems you're sailing the exact same boat from T7 to T9 (lol if you bought the Atago).

Oh the 155mm Mogami is still good. Just the turret rotation speed was reduced, and taking the turret speed skill still leaves you with a sub 30 second 180 degree turn time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Huh, you can apparently sell the temporary Soviet and German ships - for a fairly decent number of credits at that. I didn't actually go through with it, so I suppose you could get some weird result by clicking "Yes," but combined they're listed as selling for ~1.8 milion or so. Given they're supposedly being removed in a week anyways, I wonder if it would be better to sell them on the last day, or if WG will give you something when they remove the two.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The news article says you can't sell them, so either they didn't stop you correctly or clicking yes wouldn't do anything.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Krogort posted:

At least with IJN cruisers you get more versatility compared to US cruisers. I do have Atago (my only IJN ship) and it's more enjoyable than New Orleans. It's fast, guns aren't terrible, and it has torpedoes. Weak armor and huge citadel can be an issue but you just gotta be careful.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
I've have never seen so many players so eager to actually finish ships until the inception of this event. It's like I'm playing a different a game.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

jownzy posted:

I've have never seen so many players so eager to actually finish ships until the inception of this event. It's like I'm playing a different a game.
Yeah, you wouldn't believe the number of pubbies chasing a low hp ship to the end of the map (and dying instead) :v:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Aesis posted:

Yeah, you wouldn't believe the number of pubbies chasing a low hp ship to the end of the map (and dying instead) :v:

Just watched 4 of them chase a Fuso, all 4 died. I guess the Fuso finished his challenge.

We lost because we had no cap points, and 3 DD were part of the chase. I, of course, didn't get my 4th kill because the game ended.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Oppressor posted:

Do the guns pack a punch?
As in how is the HE damage on Battleships regardless of fires?

If you play US DDs, guns are like the Nicholas with 100 damage more per shell, in 2x2 turrets. Or if you play IJN DDs, it's the Minekaze with guns that rotate and fire twice as fast. 9% chance of fires on HE, which is twice the chance you get from the US ships. The magic really is in the turreted layout and high shell velocity for me.

Also, it's significantly more survivable than the US and IJN DDs, with ~3k more HP than either tier VI.

Reztes fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 13, 2015

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I think i'm stopping my progression up the US cruisers with the cleveland. Higher tiers seem to be sniping battleships and torpedo spam aircraft carriers (albeit that's less of an issue in the cleveland but I did just have 5 torpedo bomber squadrons go for me at once which was a little crazy.

I have the minekaze in the jpn DD line and it's either feast or famine, if something goes wrong and I get spotted then i'm generally down to 1/3rd health a few seconds later, if not then I either have a great match, or see people dodge all my torpedoes repeatedly.

the Wyoming is just not fun. It might be low battleships in general but it's pretty tough to avoid torpedo bombers in it and it feels like the most grind/unfun of the ships so far.

Maybe the german cruisers of Russian DDs will feel more interesting around the mid-tiers but so far the shine is wearing off.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

wdarkk posted:

Really I think rather than have AFT affect 203s, they should change it back to not affect your main battery at all. Instant balance for the Mogami, Cleveland, and Russian/Soviet DDs.

Only not at all. The Cleveland struggles to hit anything past 13km in most situations anyway, It still gets incredible ROF and fire chance as well as magic mystery box citadels.

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com

wdarkk posted:

Someone asked about this recently so I'll point out that mouse inversion is finally being added: http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/53745-mouse-inversion-and-you/

That was me, but uh....i've already adjusted to the normal, in-game mouse controls so...

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Had 8 or 9 goons in at mumble.goonrathi.com playing ships tonight. We'll probably get together from now on there to boat it up. Most everyone there just got to Tier II/III tonight, so there's a lot to burn through before folks become bittervets.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Trip Report: the Konigsberg is pretty awesome

Getting 4 kills in my Cleveland still eludes me

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

Lakedaimon posted:

Trip Report: the Konigsberg is pretty awesome

Getting 4 kills in my Cleveland still eludes me

Berg's great at getting noticed, beating up anyone who chases it, then luring them into ambushes because they're tunnel-visioned in on trying to break your rear end.

It's a good boat.

Oppressor
Nov 6, 2011

What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolent.
Ognevoi is pretty awesome too if you transfer a Captain with AFT to it, Also the torpedoes are awesome for suicide runs/ambushes because of their 70 kts speed.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

loving Wargaming. I was stuck like that for 5 minutes while I tried to furiously move forward/reverse/left/right. Good thing it was 8v8 and there were no DDs (somehow got High Caliber too).

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
A teammate in a DD started a match by intentionally sideswiping my South Carolina so I sank him. Justified Y/N?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

A teammate in a DD started a match by intentionally sideswiping my South Carolina so I sank him. Justified Y/N?

Your only mistake was assuming that you have teammates.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Enemy ships come in many nationalities and two colors.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Team mates? I thought this game was full on death match.

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger

MrKatharsis posted:

It challenged your place as the head of the pack.

You did good.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Trolling Kantai Collection fans in chat is the funniest goddamn thing sometimes.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Biggest idiot I've encountered so far:

I was playing a Furutaka game yesterday in which a "friendly" Tenryu crossed ahead of me from right to left in front of a channel that an enemy ship was coming down at 10 km and closing. I fired a spread of torpedoes into the channel, behind the Tenryu. So naturally, the Tenryu makes a hard turn back to the channel and runs right back into my torps. Then he spends the entire rest of the match bitching in chat about how I intentionally teamkilled him, because the enemy in that direction was "obviously" out of range, and how does somebody get to tier 5 without knowing torpedoes don't have that kind of range.

When I pointed out that Furutaka has 10km torps, he then started yelling about how dare I fire when someone is in front of me, making him the hundredth retard I've seen with the complete lack of situational awareness to turn back into a teammates torpedoes, and then yell about it like a big idiot baby. Somehow, I've managed to go hundreds of games without wandering into friendly torpedoes passing me, but he wasn't the first to whinge about some imagined rule against the practice.

Anyway, I can't be the only one to hear this occasional moronic screaming (always from DD and CL drivers) who manage to kill themselves about never ever firing torpedoes if there's someone on your team in front of you who could potentially reverse course, ignore the incredibly obvious visual and audio warnings and gently caress their asses right out of the match.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sperglord Actual posted:

Trolling Kantai Collection fans in chat is the funniest goddamn thing sometimes.

Is there a mod that logs chat? I'd love to see a "greatest hits".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Reztes posted:

Biggest idiot I've encountered so far:

I was playing a Furutaka game yesterday in which a "friendly" Tenryu crossed ahead of me from right to left in front of a channel that an enemy ship was coming down at 10 km and closing. I fired a spread of torpedoes into the channel, behind the Tenryu. So naturally, the Tenryu makes a hard turn back to the channel and runs right back into my torps. Then he spends the entire rest of the match bitching in chat about how I intentionally teamkilled him, because the enemy in that direction was "obviously" out of range, and how does somebody get to tier 5 without knowing torpedoes don't have that kind of range.

When I pointed out that Furutaka has 10km torps, he then started yelling about how dare I fire when someone is in front of me, making him the hundredth retard I've seen with the complete lack of situational awareness to turn back into a teammates torpedoes, and then yell about it like a big idiot baby. Somehow, I've managed to go hundreds of games without wandering into friendly torpedoes passing me, but he wasn't the first to whinge about some imagined rule against the practice.

Anyway, I can't be the only one to hear this occasional moronic screaming (always from DD and CL drivers) who manage to kill themselves about never ever firing torpedoes if there's someone on your team in front of you who could potentially reverse course, ignore the incredibly obvious visual and audio warnings and gently caress their asses right out of the match.

It's considered bad form to fire torpedoes from behind an allied ship where there is a possibility of that ship, uh, interfering with the path of the torpedoes.

If you do it make sure to announce it in chat and ping the map square where the torpedoes are to emphasize it.