Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
NEI one in, and toss an uncharged one into a pit.

Congratulations, you found one!

Seriously. You already have meteors to worry about, gently caress also trying to find a charged quartz. Its a completely unfun bottleneck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

I've never had problems finding charged certus. Maybe I'm just stupidly lucky or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Me neither honestly, but its one of them "only a problem if your looking for it" dealies. :haw:

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

taiyoko posted:

I've never had problems finding charged certus. Maybe I'm just stupidly lucky or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think they only occur near the surface, so everyone's favourite mining depth of 12 fucks them over.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

now that hqm is open source hopefully someone will fix repeatable quests so the timer actually works instead of going from 0d11h to 4d22h

or fix repeatable quests so they can't be on a timer longer than about 30 seconds

fortunately open to lan > gamemode 1 > delete turn-ins and magick into existence item always works

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

senae posted:

I think they only occur near the surface, so everyone's favourite mining depth of 12 fucks them over.

No, they occur anywhere regular certus can. Which I believe is down to y=20-ish. Mining depth of 12 still screws you, though.

I've also never had a problem finding charged quartz. By the time ice enough resources and infrastructure to do ANY, I usually have between 6 and 12 (compared to 2-4 stacks of regular certus).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
You know what would be a way better mechanic? A disposable/one-shot charging mechanic that takes way more power/resources than a charger. At least as a side option to finding charged certus quartz. I once literally had a stack of diamonds before I found my first charged certus, and once you get one you're set on them because you can just charge normal quartz.
Let us skip the whole hunt by supercharging regular quartz at a one-time exorbitant gate fee.

e: This was mostly mining in ravines and the like, I had about 4 stacks of regular certus too.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I've been extraordinarily unlucky with this poo poo. I've played maybe half a dozen times, one time I found charged ore first but on no other occasion have I found any.

I've got some TE blitz powder which has no current use and is electrically-themed so I'll add a minetweaker recipe to use that to transform regular ore into charged.

Thyrork posted:

NEI one in, and toss an uncharged one into a pit.

Congratulations, you found one!

Seriously. You already have meteors to worry about, gently caress also trying to find a charged quartz. Its a completely unfun bottleneck.
I've turned meteors off and added inscriber recipes to make presses from two iron blocks and one of the relevant items:
code:
// Silicon Press - from silicon
mods.appeng.Inscriber.addRecipe([<appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:5>], <minecraft:iron_block>, <minecraft:iron_block>, <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:19>, "Press");

// Calculation Press - from pure certus quartz crystal
mods.appeng.Inscriber.addRecipe([<appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:10>], <minecraft:iron_block>, <minecraft:iron_block>, <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:13>, "Press");

// Engineering Press - from diamond
mods.appeng.Inscriber.addRecipe([<minecraft:diamond>], <minecraft:iron_block>, <minecraft:iron_block>, <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:14>, "Press");

// Logic Press - from gold ingot
mods.appeng.Inscriber.addRecipe([<minecraft:gold_ingot>], <minecraft:iron_block>, <minecraft:iron_block>, <appliedenergistics2:item.ItemMultiMaterial:15>, "Press");

GotLag fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 13, 2015

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Galactic Science mystery #3. The Ender Quarry I am currently using to terraform Venus has managed to pick up some Raw Chicken and Feathers. I have no idea where they came from. Maybe the material they use to make Castlevania walls comes from here?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

god it's like i'm back in the stone ages

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Glory of Arioch posted:

god it's like i'm back in the stone ages
heh, I'm playing regrowth, too. I'm still not sure how you are supposed to kill endermen or even venture outside and live without armor. It took me an entire minecraft day to chop enough trees to make wooden armor and it still only gives 4 icons of protection.

Are those generators on the side? What the hell are you doing? How is it working? Is that a single block smeltry? I thought the minimum was 3x3? Weirdly placed tool forge and pattern chest and those generator things next to what seems like a normal ingot smelting thing, feeding into a barrel, but I don't get it.

I haven't gotten to seared bricks yet, so I assume this is a weird seared brick recipe thing that's pack-specific...

It's also funny how people build different - I found a crevice that I blocked over, and you built a little overland compound. I'm also sad this is yet another pack without waypoints or elevator blocks :(

e: wait, are those "generators" servo replacements? They must pull liquid into the pipes.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 14, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Redstone generators to run the wooden pipes, so they'll pull from sources. The top is to drain the smeltery of melted cobblestone (that pipe has been rubberized so it can take liquids), the bottom to draw the result from the table into the barrel. Looks like the smeltery is a 2x1 or a 2x2; they've been capable of smaller and larger sizes for a long time now.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Oh, I've never used anything but fluiducts. I seriously last used wooden pipes maybe 3 years ago in who knows what ancient version, in whatever I was playing back before the orig skyfall.

I didn't know about the smaller smelty size, that's going to be really helpful soon.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Venus has never looked prettier.

And screw that Naquadah recipe forever. I'm glad the quarry picked up a lot of coal blocks, but even with the SAG Mill, I may fall short of my goal. We'll see. Need to visit Pluto next before I can start in on the gate blocks.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

heh, I'm playing regrowth, too. I'm still not sure how you are supposed to kill endermen or even venture outside and live without armor.

Are those generators on the side? What the hell are you doing? How is it working? Is that a single block smeltry? I thought the minimum was 3x3? Weirdly placed tool forge and pattern chest and those generator things next to what seems like a normal ingot smelting thing, feeding into a barrel, but I don't get it.

the minimum is 2x2 near as i can tell, which is what this is

the thing about smelteries is that the casting table and the smeltery drain are normal inventories and fluid containers, and you can use pipes to move things between them
so piping liquid out of the drain into the table will do the same thing as right clicking on a spigot, and piping items out of the casting table does the same thing as right clicking on the table
you can do this with more modern mods too but regrowth only has one automation option

the pipes are from buildcraft

(history lesson)
buildcraft was one of the first automation mods for minecraft, so the fact that it still exists and made it into a fairly modern hqm pack is pretty crazy
in order for those pipes to extract stuff they have to be powered by those engines, fortunately the free-tier engine is sufficient for them
buildcraft was mostly supplanted by the far superior thermal expansion, and, apparently, buildcraft finally relented and ditched its original power system (minecraft joules, MJ) for RF
thermal expansion used to use MJ but then KingLemming made RF for a reason i can't really remember but i'm going to choose to attribute to minecraft mod drama because it's funnier
(/history lesson)

basically for a quest i need like a bajillion seared bricks and gently caress doing that manually when i can automate it (mostly)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

also yeah regrowth night time is pretty hostile, hence the two-high cobblestone wall around the perimeter of my base and F7-aided torch spam

those little baby skeleton fuckers can shoot through the gaps in the wall if they get a lucky line of sight though :argh:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The last time I remember using wooden pipes back when I played on some goon server. This was the one where we made the aircraft carrier and the enterprise, I think?

But seriously, how did you kill that one enderman? I killed a few little enders and got a ender pearl, but no of course it's a kill quest not a get ender pearl quest.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Stare at them and dance on your perimeter smacking it in the head with any sort of tool until you fall off outside your base and then you swing frantically about until it's dead or you're dead.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Bhodi posted:

The last time I remember using wooden pipes back when I played on some goon server. This was the one where we made the aircraft carrier and the enterprise, I think?

But seriously, how did you kill that one enderman? I killed a few little enders and got a ender pearl, but no of course it's a kill quest not a get ender pearl quest.

do you even need to kill the enderman to proceed with the quest line?

the trick with minecraft combat is to force the enemy to jump over a block in order to get to you, this slows them down enough for you to hit them and knock them back

alternatively you can backpedal and move in a circle backwards as you fight as minecraft mobs take more time to turn than you do

longswords are also very good weapons, their right click ability lets you move extremely quickly and lets you jump 2-3 blocks high if you time it right with a normal jump

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Glory of Arioch posted:

thermal expansion used to use MJ but then KingLemming made RF for a reason i can't really remember but i'm going to choose to attribute to minecraft mod drama because it's funnier

I think it was because KL wanted to differentiate his stuff from the outdated clusterfuck that was BC, and it's energy pipes that would either back-up and explode or drain away half of your provided power as an "energy tax".

Honestly I can't blame him.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

http://gfycat.com/EmptyAshamedAmazontreeboa

it takes a little practice but you can do some pretty silly jumps with this thing

Alkydere posted:

I think it was because KL wanted to differentiate his stuff from the outdated clusterfuck that was BC, and it's energy pipes that would either back-up and explode or drain away half of your provided power as an "energy tax".

oh poo poo i forgot about exploding buildcraft pipes, hahaha

i wonder if they still explode

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Alkydere posted:

BC was changing their API in a dumb way that messed with other mods and always kind of annoyed with TE. TE just made RF. People thought it was yet another power standard, with UE and IC2 stuff existing at the time in addition to BC.

RF replaced everything shortly after because it wasn't governed by stupid drama/ego and poor code. Although I guess IC2 is still a thing that exists even though the last time I played with it was in 1.5.x.

To put it in perspective, BC has used the RF api internally for over a year now.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 14, 2015

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Bumrush enderman without setting them off, swing at feet until dead. It's easier if they're higher up than you, but for some reason smacking their feet prevents them from teleporting. I'll only ever get hit back maybe once doing this as long as I'm careful to do it when no other mobs are around. In my most recent Regrowth playthrough I killed my first enderman with the starting flint sword and no armor.

Alternatively, set up a 3x3 or 4x4 roof 2 blocks high, stand under it, stare at any enderman you see and wait for them to come to their death.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

regrowth is grindy as hell but still pretty fun :yaycloud:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Glory of Arioch posted:

basically for a quest i need like a bajillion seared bricks and gently caress doing that manually when i can automate it (mostly)

I'm pretty sure you can pull completed bricks out of the casting table by using a hopper underneath the casting table, makes it easier to do multiple side-by-side casting tables.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm pretty sure you can pull completed bricks out of the casting table by using a hopper underneath the casting table.

oh hey nice thinking

Carsius
May 7, 2013

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm pretty sure you can pull completed bricks out of the casting table by using a hopper underneath the casting table, makes it easier to do multiple side-by-side casting tables.

This, and you can use tc pipes+basic servo to automate the pouring of the bricks.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Carsius posted:

This, and you can use tc pipes+basic servo to automate the pouring of the bricks.

no thermal expansion in regrowth :saddowns:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You can automate with just straight redstone mechanics and normal smeltery taps.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Sage Grimm posted:

You can automate with just straight redstone mechanics and normal smeltery taps.

yeah, but clock circuits are :effort:

especially when you already had all the buildcraft parts lying around due to doing their quests

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

Stare at them and dance on your perimeter smacking it in the head with any sort of tool until you fall off outside your base and then you swing frantically about until it's dead or you're dead.

Also if you make a TiCon longsword, you can charge the right click lunge, jump, then release the lunge to jump significantly higher. I had a 3 block high wall in Regrowth before my world corrupted, and I could hop it pretty easily with a jump+lunge, making getting in and out of my base really easy.

E: You can also automate stuff with a Hovering Hourglass from Botania, it's the world's simplest clock

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
You can kill Endermen even with your bare fists and no armor as long as you have blocks. Make a ~4x4 roof two blocks off the ground. Endermen are three blocks high, so you can look at them to lure them over and then attack from under the safety of your roof.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How is legends? Is it a quest mod?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Glory of Arioch posted:

oh poo poo i forgot about exploding buildcraft pipes, hahaha

i wonder if they still explode

Make a loop in your power line and find out! Those were always great for making explosions/wasting energy because the energy just random-walked down the pipeline (and you could see it doing exactly that).

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
So I'm trying this galactic science pack folks were going on about a few pages back.

I'm currently in Moon Grind Hell, have six sterling engines fed by an item router powering three auto-sieves, have an automated cobblegen->crucibles->stone barrel->Obsidian generator, and a stone chopper from progressive automation managing a 5x7 tree farm. The chopper brings in basically infinite wood which I break down into cellulose and repackage to methyl methacrylate for the sterling engines. I could use some advice re: item transport. What's the best way to move items around automatically at this stage? I can't make enderio item conduits yet, because that requires an alloy smelter which requires something called Desh ingots, whatever that is. NEI seems to show I need to go to mars to get it, so that's out.

So I want to create two transport chains:

A1) Move wood from the chopper to a chemical decomposer.
A2) Move cellulose from the decomposer to another decomposer.
A3) Move monatonic carbon / oxygen / hydrogen from the decomposer to storage.
A4) Move 1 carbon and 3 hydrogen from storage to a chemical synthesizer to make methyl.
A5) Move 2 carbon, 2 oxygen, and 3 methyl from storage and the synthesizer to another synthesizer to make methyl methacrylate.
A6) Move methyl methacrylate from the synthesizer to the item router attached to the bank of sterling engines to power everything.

A separate chain I want is to:

B1) Move obsidian from the barrel to a chemical decomposer to make Magnesium Oxide and Silicon Dioxide.
B2) Move Silicon Dioxide to a chemical synthesizer to make gravel, and the Magnesium Oxide to a trash can.
B3) Move the Gravel to the bank of auto-sieves.

So what I really need is:
- The ability to pull precise ratios of items for step A4 - so I get exactly 1 carbon per 3 hydrogen.
- The ability to pull precise ratios of items from multiple sources for step A5.
- The ability to send items from the same source to multiple destinations for step B2.

So far the only item routing I've made is those terrible extra utilities transfer pipes, which are cheap enough and fine for feeding crucibles from a cobble gen but monstrously slow and awkward. I can't use them for sorting because their sorting pipes rely on having an identical item in the destination inventory, which of course won't always be the case as my machines constantly consume inputs. I also can't put them next to each other because they always connect. I'm not familiar with these relocators or most of the mods in this pack, so I'm hoping to get some advice as to what to investigate in order to automate some of these steps. Doing them all manually sucks.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah, but clock circuits are :effort:

especially when you already had all the buildcraft parts lying around due to doing their quests

Pfft, clock circuits. It's even simpler! The hopper will send out a redstone signal when there's something in it (strength based on amount), which you'll amplify and redirect back to the taps. Since the hopper will be cleared as long as there's an inventory space, it basically acts as a pulse signal.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Khorne posted:

BC was changing their API in a dumb way that messed with other mods and always kind of annoyed with TE. TE just made RF. People thought it was yet another power standard, with UE and IC2 stuff existing at the time in addition to BC.

RF replaced everything shortly after because it wasn't governed by stupid drama/ego and poor code. Although I guess IC2 is still a thing that exists even though the last time I played with it was in 1.5.x.

To put it in perspective, BC has used the RF api internally for over a year now.

All this talk about old mods really takes me back. Remember when the launchers didn't exist and he had to download all the modpacks manually? :allears:

Hell, remember when modpacks were still kind of a novel idea?

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Khorne posted:

And the current lead on BC recently wrote this blog post:

asie posted:

I think that now, after ten months of fluxing, it is time to say that in hindsight moving to RF was a terrible decision
http://blog.asie.pl/a-tale-of-joules.html

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Lmao 'I can't make people jump through stupid hoops and it's awful :qq:'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

"man it was really better when the energy system relied on sending lots of little asymmetric packets which had to be routed between machines every single tick instead of just relying on a single integer value for the entire network of connected things"

"also it was better when things exploded"