Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The Kins is just being a contrarian babby, let him be. Nothing interesting will come out of a discussion there, really.

Also, this game has quite a bit of GOTY contenders. It's been a good videogame year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Actually all video games that came out this year have been bad, hth.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

Actually all video games that came out this year have been bad, hth.

they just have bad english dubs it's fine

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

you forgot P4:DAN

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gently caress YOU DIAS

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Actually all video games are bad.

gently caress video games.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dias posted:

they just have bad english dubs it's fine

Uh, MGSV is not dubbed tyvm.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Baal, you are more Liam than Liam

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm sorry if you think Skull Face was not programmed with that voice, you can't dub nature.

Edit: also I don't even really know what that means

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

Andrast posted:

Actually all video games are bad.

gently caress video games.

I agree. Light novels is where it's at.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

whoooooooooo.bat

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Kins posted:

"Getting 100% comboed in the first second of every round, ragequitting and playing against easy CPUs to convince yourself that you still have something resembling hand-eye co-ordination" is a valid way of playing. :colbert:

The Kins

More like The Scrub

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I think part of the problem is people are explaining why the genocide run is bad with "you're gonna have a bad time", which... you'd only get the reference if you did/watched a genocide run so...?

The reason why a genocide run is maybe less fun is that it removes most of the bosses, enemy negotiation, and jokes. It does however, get its own jokes, bosses (fantastic, hard ones, too), and story, so calling it the "wrong" way to play is just disingenuous. It also forces you to grind levels, but I honestly don't think that's as bad as everyone's describing it. It's not really a "here, I'm forcing you to play this stupid minigame to prove a point about how minigames are stupid" situation since it's just simple grinding. If wandering around waiting for random encounters to happen was unbearably tedious, Pokémon never would've caught on.

It's also weird how many backseat gaming-y comments of "you NEVER need to use the fight command, Matt, never EVER" there are, even though that's a straight-up lie. You need to fight Ice Cap and take his hat to properly spare him, for instance.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You never have to hit ice cap to steal his hat.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

While there is no bad way to play Undertale for the first time, I think there is a preferred playthrough for showing off as far an LP goes. So I'm glad Matt did go back and start a pacifist run.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Baal posted:

You never have to hit ice cap to steal his hat.

Oh, really?

How else can you do it? Genuinely don't know.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you ignore him enough he becomes agitated and you can steal his cap at that point while he's off his guard.

ChumpsForChange
Jun 2, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

While there is no bad way to play Undertale for the first time, I think there is a preferred playthrough for showing off as far an LP goes. So I'm glad Matt did go back and start a pacifist run.

Yeah if you want to see the most stuff without having to replay the game again pacifist the first time is the way to go. It takes away some of the player agency since your not going in blind and killing monsters but there's really no way avoid that when a game blows up like this.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Pigbuster posted:

I think part of the problem is people are explaining why the genocide run is bad with "you're gonna have a bad time", which... you'd only get the reference if you did/watched a genocide run so...?

The reason why a genocide run is maybe less fun is that it removes most of the bosses, enemy negotiation, and jokes. It does however, get its own jokes, bosses (fantastic, hard ones, too), and story, so calling it the "wrong" way to play is just disingenuous. It also forces you to grind levels, but I honestly don't think that's as bad as everyone's describing it. It's not really a "here, I'm forcing you to play this stupid minigame to prove a point about how minigames are stupid" situation since it's just simple grinding. If wandering around waiting for random encounters to happen was unbearably tedious, Pokémon never would've caught on.

It's also weird how many backseat gaming-y comments of "you NEVER need to use the fight command, Matt, never EVER" there are, even though that's a straight-up lie. You need to fight Ice Cap and take his hat to properly spare him, for instance.

Well, you're subjecting yourself to a grindy experience that excises most of the content the game has, adds stuff that works a lot better if you have previous experience with the game, walls you with THE hardest bossfights in the game and then (genocide spoilers) taints any future pacifist runs you might go for. There's no wrong ways to play through a game, but there ARE worse ways to experience it for the first time, I feel like.

And in a True Ending run, you NEVER need to use the fight command, hehe.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Ruggington posted:

I don't see how anyone could unintentionally go on the genocide path just playing naturally

Edited juuust in case, but short of it I feel like it's a Adachi situation, only hitting right after instead of nearly 10 hours later.

Unless I'm totally misinterpreting what you're saying in which case I'm sorry :shobon:

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 13, 2015

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

^^^ You should edit that, Matt might see it :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

^^^ You should edit that, Matt might see it :v:

I'm pretty sure Matt knows Adachi is the killer dude

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's kind of hard to do that now I'd imagine with artist just spamming tumblr and twitter with artwork on Genocides final boss and THIS IS HOW YOU DO IT!!!

Checking Matt's twitter for example has artwork of it and judging from the podcast he had no idea about it. It's coincidentally a Adachi situation as far as I can tell where if you look anything up you're going to find out how.

Unless I'm totally misinterpreting what you're saying in which case I'm sorry :shobon:

I just meant on a totally blind first playthrough, but yeah that might actually be impossible at this point.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Man Matt deserves endless cred for putting up with us and his tumblr and Twitter. Woolie is too scared, Pats already a hermit, and Liam is our king.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Also while I'm throwing out compliments. Matt you've been looking super cut in the live stuff lately.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Yeah, it's pretty much impossible for people who read this thread or have a somewhat gaming-centric interest online to not know there's a Pacifist, Genocide, and Mixed ending. At this point, I'm not gonna pick up Undertale for myself because I know there's a twist. It's like the stupid argument we had a few weeks back, and it's similar to movie spoiler discussions that the Friendcast has had. If you know there's a twist (or in this case, multiple endings) then you're already totally ruined on the genuine shock you'd get.

I'll pick it up for my SO since she, somehow, has no idea what the gently caress Undertale is about.

It'd be different if Undertale's gameplay was what was stellar about it, instead of the emotional reaction to the events that unfold. It's not unreasonable at all to be soured by overtly high expectations set by the community, since apparently the big thing about Undertale is defying expectations and playing with emotions.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I can't fathom the mindset where knowing that a game has three different endings ruins the game for you.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

If you think you'd enjoy it buy it

I don't even know what twist you're talking about and it barely matters

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

unless the twist is that it has three paths then

?????????????

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

pulp rag posted:

Yeah, it's pretty much impossible for people who read this thread or have a somewhat gaming-centric interest online to not know there's a Pacifist, Genocide, and Mixed ending. At this point, I'm not gonna pick up Undertale for myself because I know there's a twist. It's like the stupid argument we had a few weeks back, and it's similar to movie spoiler discussions that the Friendcast has had. If you know there's a twist (or in this case, multiple endings) then you're already totally ruined on the genuine shock you'd get.

I'll pick it up for my SO since she, somehow, has no idea what the gently caress Undertale is about.

It'd be different if Undertale's gameplay was what was stellar about it, instead of the emotional reaction to the events that unfold. It's not unreasonable at all to be soured by overtly high expectations set by the community, since apparently the big thing about Undertale is defying expectations and playing with emotions.

I think you're misunderstanding some things, honestly. Which is good! It means you weren't spoiled on anything that relevant (although you might have been overhyped and, well, that's just how it is on the Internet).

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The gameplay is fun, though. Dodging things and figuring out how to spare each monster is fun.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I legitimately read every spoiler and listened to every big track in Undertale with the exception of a few of the Pacifist ones before playing and beating it and the game actually made me cry despite the fact I knew everything that was going to happen. Admittedly, mine is a sole experience and I am apparently a bit of an odd duck in not giving a poo poo about spoilers, but knowing about big things or twists in a story does not inherently take away from how you will react to them. If you don't want to play the game because it's not your thing, or because the gameplay looks boring, or something like that, it's fine. I don't like seeing people refuse to touch something because they know about a twist or whatever in advance.

I had a friend who refused to watch Breaking Bad because he knew what happened in the first episode and it drove me up a loving wall that they did it because of that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also knowing the game has three separate paths really doesn't feel like a big twist and it seems like you don't know anything big about it so, idk I'm p confused.

CuddlyZombie posted:

The gameplay is fun, though. Dodging things and figuring out how to spare each monster is fun.

Agreed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

pulp rag posted:

You should consider articles like this which explain that being spoiled on something actually doesn't affect your enjoyment of it any unless you specifically tell yourself that it will. It's easy to psych yourself out of enjoying something because you know more than you wanted to about it going into it, but the study in that article shows that being spoiled on something in a story really doesn't matter when you're in the moment, reading/watching/playing.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 13, 2015

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah all that spoiler poo poo is just self fulfilling prophecy. It's more of a dog food bag half-full/half empty sort of thing. All that matters is your guts.

So It Goes
Feb 18, 2011

pulp rag posted:

I've beat Undertale and legitimately don't even know what "twist" you are talking about unless you think having multiple endings is somehow a "twist" that ruins games? I also could not disagree more strongly with that last sentence and think that's a legitimately insane way to interact with society and media. You are genuinely selling yourself short as a person to let stuff like that affect your interaction with media to the degree it apparently does.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CJacobs posted:

You should consider articles like this which explain that being spoiled on something actually doesn't affect your enjoyment of it any unless you specifically tell yourself that it will. It's easy to psych yourself out of enjoying something because you know more than you wanted to about it going into it, but the study in that article shows that being spoiled on something in a story really doesn't matter when you're in the moment, reading/watching/playing.

You really shouldn't use a single study and apply the result to everybody like that (or apply it at all). People are different and react to things differently.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I disagree on that policy as a catch-all (open spoilers and overhyping were the reasons why I got very soured on GoT), but really, the only thing we talked about openly here are "there are different routes and one requires you to go WAY out of your way to get it". It's barely a spoiler because you wouldn't find it in a normal playthrough even if you tried. That's all I knew about the game when I got in, and while I would be pissed if I got spoiled on later things, knowing about those different routes had no effect on my enjoyment of the game.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

[url= should consider articles like this which explain that being spoiled on something actually doesn't affect your enjoyment of it any unless you specifically tell yourself that it will[/url]. It's easy to psych yourself out of enjoying something because you know more than you wanted to about it going into it, but the study in that article shows that being spoiled on something in a story really doesn't matter when you're in the moment, reading/watching/playing.

What a weird post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, I generally don't agree with posting articles and studies on that since it's something you can't necessarily prove only give personal experiences for. People respond to things in their own unique ways and have their own personal feelings. Now, I can't acknowledge that because it would mean I would have to recognize Internet people as actual people when in reality they're all just things I made up for my own personal amusement.