Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Chalks posted:

I am going to strangle someone the next time I get a transaction error while mining Painite. Holy poo poo.

Every time. :smith::hf::smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Who are these people that keep trying to bother me! "Please follow me" "NO gently caress OFF!"

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

SynthOrange posted:

Who are these people that keep trying to bother me! "Please follow me" "NO gently caress OFF!"

I fell for it once and was promptly killed by 3 space pirates. Never again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

They're trying to offer you alternate missions with insultingly low payouts.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hi all, just coming back to the game after a long break (boy the RJR doesn't look to be in good shape now :( ), and I'm thinking about having a stint in the mining industry, seeing as that's apparently not-poo poo now. However, I'm just wondering what a decent mid-tier mining ship would be. I've currently got a Type-6 kitted out for hauling, as well as $23.2mil in the bank, so I'm wondering if another Type-6 would be the best idea, or if I should splash out on something else, like a Type-7? (and if so, should I swap the T7 to be my hauler and the T6 to be the miner? Since I still want a dedicated hauler in addition to the miner, for when I feel like trading some goods for cash)
Any suggestions/advice on the topic would be greatly appreciated!

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
loving hell. For some reason, painite plus drones equals instant transaction server failure. I was mining earlier today. FIVE times I found a rock with painite, started mining, and the instant a drone with a painite fragment reached my cargo hatch I'd get booted out of the game.

What in the actual gently caress, :frontear:?

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
i have played 18 hours of this video game and have accomplished nothing except being very bad at docking.

this game is good.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I came back to this game and am now chilling in a Haz Res site picking up bounties in a Vulture. Game is fun.

TemporalFugue
Jul 9, 2008
I just found Salvageable Wreckage over 4000 Ly from the bubble. It had a Survey Data canister, but unfortunately
I don't have any cargo holds. Is this a new thing in 1.4, or has this been around for a while?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Drake_263 posted:

loving hell. For some reason, painite plus drones equals instant transaction server failure. I was mining earlier today. FIVE times I found a rock with painite, started mining, and the instant a drone with a painite fragment reached my cargo hatch I'd get booted out of the game.

I've been mining painite just fine? :shrug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Any suggestions or guides for how to fly without FA aside from practice and die a lot?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Any suggestions or guides for how to fly without FA aside from practice and die a lot?

From the master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtD41MRibe4

In the end though...practice makes perfect. The first thing you have to do is to make yourself as comfortable as possible with the controls. Spend a lot of time in making a good profile for your controller setup (HOTAS is pretty good in this game) and then..never change it. Muscle memory becomes a thing pretty quicker than you might think. Also, after you become comfortable with the controls, you might want to tweak your HOTAS curves if it has a program for it. You can pretty much tune it to perfection if you take the time (and this takes time).

Also, practice in areas (the tutorials help, but you can also do it in open) where there are a lot of obstacles nearby. These can give you feedback about how you are flying.

Have in mind that flying always in FA OFF will never make you as competitive as when using it in short bursts. It really feels though like you are flying a loving spaceship, which in the end is the most notable thing about this game (the feeling of flight).

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 13, 2015

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I've been mining painite just fine? :shrug:
I got booted by the transaction server once while mining yesterday, don't remember the specific circumstances but I know I had at least one ton of painite at the end of the day so I suspect it's more complex than "painite = disconnection".

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Looks like the Diamond Frogs want to find Raxxla!

For those not in the know, have a quick read of this:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Raxxla

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Dante80 posted:

From the master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtD41MRibe4

In the end though...practice makes perfect. The first thing you have to do is to make yourself as comfortable as possible with the controls. Spend a lot of time in making a good profile for your controller setup (HOTAS is pretty good in this game) and then..never change it. Muscle memory becomes a thing pretty quicker than you might think. Also, after you become comfortable with the controls, you might want to tweak your HOTAS curves if it has a program for it. You can pretty much tune it to perfection if you take the time (and this takes time).

Also, practice in areas (the tutorials help, but you can also do it in open) where there are a lot of obstacles nearby. These can give you feedback about how you are flying.

Have in mind that flying always in FA OFF will never make you as competitive as when using it in short bursts. It really feels though like you are flying a loving spaceship, which in the end is the most notable thing about this game (the feeling of flight).

Why are short bursts more competitive than FA off permanently?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jarf posted:

Looks like the Diamond Frogs want to find Raxxla!

For those not in the know, have a quick read of this:
http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Raxxla

I've seen that missions before, it sounds really interesting, given I know what Raxxla is, but I know it'd just be another disappointing default mission.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The flight computer is really good at its job, it's just not as fun as FA off.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

What's the best way to find a high-tech world if nothing shows up when you try to filter by economies in galaxy view? I'm in the middle of nowhere but I want to load up on gold, etc and bring back other good stuff. Also want to more properly outfit my python.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Sometimes you just want to go where your nose is pointed at without inputting thrust on 3 axes at once.

slidebite posted:

What's the best way to find a high-tech world if nothing shows up when you try to filter by economies in galaxy view? I'm in the middle of nowhere but I want to load up on gold, etc and bring back other good stuff. Also want to more properly outfit my python.

Check if you don't have some other filter applied - it's easy to have multiple ones, it doesn't show all of them at once - otherwise it sounds like you're doing everything properly.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 13, 2015

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Because its far easier, and FA ON retains all 6DoF.

More than a year ago, I sent this to Mike Evans (the designer responsible for the ED flight model)

quote:

Salutations from sunny Greece...

Terribly sorry to pull you away from your busy schedule.

A question, I know that you don't have to answer it.

Currently, the FA OFF flight mode brings the skill ceiling in this game very high. As should be. Your decision to remove auto-counterthrusting from the mode made it that much more difficult, immersive and actually skill promoting to use.

Players though at this juncture of the competitive metagame are finding time and again that mastering the mode does not provide any advantages. Sure, you can use it in very small increments to augment your maneuvering, but in the end FA ON provides more usability, especially since strafing is allowed on it.

I understand that the effect on gameplay is somewhat intended. But are there any plans in the future to reward players more (directly or indirectly) for using this mode? I really think it would make the end game much more skill based and rewarding for the playerbase.

Keep the goodness coming man, cheers..C:

Regards and best wishes,
George F.

Here is his response.

quote:

We don't plan to change the way ot behaves, and in certain circumstances skilled use of it will give you an advantage but not nearly as much as some people seem to think it does as you already have surmised. At the end of the day we want flying in the direction your facing to be the main way to play and fight so I'd rather not making it more desirable to go against that if I can help it.

Cheers,
-Mike

Now...I do disagree with that, but thats what they are going for, and - for good or bad - FDEV had from the very start a very concrete vision about what they want their flight model to be.

Its too bad that they have no experience in making MMOs. If most of the decisions and focus they had on things like how space/flight feels were also applied to the way they are developing the multiplayer aspect of the game, as well as player interaction and progression mechanics, this game would be a 10/10 instead of a 7/10.

They seem to be learning though...little by little.

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Oct 13, 2015

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Dante80 posted:

e-mail conversation

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing!

One of my pet peeves with people on the brown sea is the constant claiming that FA-Off is required or something, like "Elite NPCs use FA-Off and that's why they're so hard". Glad to have my feelings on the matter validated by the flight model designer :unsmith:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

slidebite posted:

Try to zoom out a bit, sometimes the world you want is just around the corner. It's annoying, but it happens regardless. Also try to switch everything else off to reduce clutter.

Hotwire
Mar 11, 2006

hehehe

Shine posted:

Had a great time today bounty hunting and smashing combat zones with goon Wings. If you've never done Wings, try it if for no other reason than to use the voice chat. It makes your voices sound like this, right down to the beeps. It's really cool; way more immersive than Mumble or whatever.

That reminds me, I'm the Nate Jacobs that added you a while back. I think we played war thunder together at some points?

PS Clipper Party Everyday.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

They forgot to remove the block that hard codes mining to be unprofitable and shuts down the game if it detects you making a meaningful amount of money from it

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Had to be awake and on call until 5AM because my job is dumb so I spent the whole time smuggling

Got enough money to slip into this

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5D4D3D5B4D3C1d1o000505054d2b2r510b.Iw19kA==.CwBhCZQRjEdkoRA=

Is this good enough to hang around HIRES and ruin some pirate days?

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

quote:

Elite Dangerous: Horizons - How to Make a Real World Livestream on our official YouTube Channel 7PM BST 14th Oct

Hi everyone,
I'm really excited about this one. We've invited Lead Artist Jonathan Bottone and Head of Technical Art Matthew Dickinson, to come on the stream and show off some brand new footage of the tech we use in Horizons.

You'll have plenty of chance to ask questions about the science and complicated tech jiggery pokery behind creating the planets, while I sit dumbstruck as they tell us how it's done.
Should be a good one. After that we'll play some CQC, or have a meet up in Eravate... let's see what happens.

ON YOUTUBE STREAMING
We've worked with YouTube to get our streams whitelisted for the German audiences - so everyone can join in! That's some good news to go with all the other good news.
Details as seen in last week's newsletter:

"The planets in Elite Dangerous: Horizons feel immersive, tactile and real, and making them is a complex, fascinating and important part of development. We'd love to give you a sneak peek behind the scenes at how we create these planets, so we’re hosting a livestream next week with a couple of our lead artists (keep an eye on our social media channels for where the stream will be hosted).

On Wednesday October 14, at 7PM BST, we'll show you some early development footage of the icy and rocky worlds in motion. This peek behind the scenes will demonstrate the simulation technology that we've been working on to create the captivating “Europa lines” for the ice worlds and canyons, and the craters and mountains for the rocky worlds.

Simulation has always been important within the Elite Dangerous galaxy, and our conversation with the artists will highlight the accuracy, depth and technical prowess that go into creating the impressive features that make up our worlds.
We'll talk through the base-scientific principle that the simulation has been built on in order to shape these beautiful, real worlds. Viewers will also have the chance to ask questions about the atmosphere-less bodies they'll be landing on when Elite Dangerous: Horizons launches later this year."

https://www.youtube.com/user/FrontierDevelopments

This might be interesting.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Had to be awake and on call until 5AM because my job is dumb so I spent the whole time smuggling

Got enough money to slip into this

http://coriolis.io/outfit/vulture/04A5D4D3D5B4D3C1d1o000505054d2b2r510b.Iw19kA==.CwBhCZQRjEdkoRA=

Is this good enough to hang around HIRES and ruin some pirate days?

Basically any Vulture with a shield and a pair of C3 guns is ready to wreck NPCs. You'll do fine.

Hop into IRC (wow, haven't typed that in like 15 years) and wing up with some goons, and you can wreck a hazardous RES and make loving bank.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Libluini posted:

Try to zoom out a bit, sometimes the world you want is just around the corner. It's annoying, but it happens regardless. Also try to switch everything else off to reduce clutter.

I tried that and it still didn't show any, so I restarted the game and it worked :shrug:

So, I have ANOTHER question. I know I have asked this before and never really figured it out, so here goes:

When I have any turreted weapon, be it a beam, multi-cannon, whatever, as soon as I touch the trigger it keeps shooting even if I let off it. The only way I can get them to shut-down is to turn to a different hardpoint (like warrant scanner or anything).

This does not happen ever with Gimbaled or fixed weapons, only turreted. I have them at fire mode "target only" as screen shot show, not fire at will. And happens regardless of ship type. I'm rocking a Python now but did it with my old Vulture as well.

Any idea how to stop this? It's annoying as heck and I can't imagine it's supposed to happen that way.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

slidebite posted:

I tried that and it still didn't show any, so I restarted the game and it worked :shrug:

So, I have ANOTHER question. I know I have asked this before and never really figured it out, so here goes:

When I have any turreted weapon, be it a beam, multi-cannon, whatever, as soon as I touch the trigger it keeps shooting even if I let off it. The only way I can get them to shut-down is to turn to a different hardpoint (like warrant scanner or anything).

This does not happen ever with Gimbaled or fixed weapons, only turreted. I have them at fire mode "target only" as screen shot show, not fire at will. And happens regardless of ship type. I'm rocking a Python now but did it with my old Vulture as well.

Any idea how to stop this? It's annoying as heck and I can't imagine it's supposed to happen that way.

Working as designed(or at least how it's been implemented for a while now)

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

It just kinda turns you loose at a major hub area of the Federation and lets you go at the galaxy with zero direction, yeah.

Protip: taking missions in a sidewinder is usually a bad idea BUT sounds like you grabbed a mission a 'winder can probably accomplish as long as you have a large enough cargo hold. If they want you to go out and find military signal cargo to bring back try cruising around the system it says in the mission (might not be the one you are in but it'll be close) and look for signal sources, probably weak signal sources. Jump into those and look for white contacts on your radar, that's loose cargo pods. Hunt around this way and you will likely stumble onto the items you are after pretty quick.

To scoop cargo you open the cargo hatch (it's on the right panel but you can also have a key bound to this) and then fly into it, watching the mini-game-like indicator on your middle left dashboard. When it's blue and centered you can scoop it.

#elitedangerous on irc.synirc.com is a great place for instant help too.

I have a cargo scoop. Is that sort of the same thing?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yes, same thing, but you must have a cargo hold installed to have somewhere to put it.

Also make sure you move in really slow to capture the thing. Like 5-10 m/s. It's tough to line up.

Edit: I should say it's tough to line up for me in my space-land-whale (Asp).

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009
I've been smuggling in a viper, but I think it may be time to upgrade. Should I go for a cobra? Also, any suggestions on how to outfit a smuggling ship?

That video of Isinona makes me want to practice with flight assist off.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cobra is gonna be x10 better for smuggling. Just add cargo, decent fsd, heat sinks if you like
D-back explorer will be good too

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Nice thrusters so you can blow right through the 7.5 km into the mail slot are nice to have too.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
DF HQ just handed me an 800k smuggling mission

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

slidebite posted:

Turrets will automatically fire as soon as you press the fire key, that's working as intended. If you want to toggle them on and off at will, set up multiple firing groups and switch between them; the turrets will only fire if they're part of the currently selected firing group.

EDIT: You really want to use turrets only for massive boats that take an eternity to turn, like an Anaconda or a Type-9. Otherwise, the drop in firepower is way too much of a tradeoff for improved fire radius. A Vulture, for example, has no need for turreted weapons whatsoever.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay so ive been playing for about a week. I gather that to get higher ranked missions i should hang out in one area and do missions for a particular faction til my reputation with them is high? What should I be looking for in a faction to hitch up with?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

3 posted:

Turrets will automatically fire as soon as you press the fire key, that's working as intended. If you want to toggle them on and off at will, set up multiple firing groups and switch between them; the turrets will only fire if they're part of the currently selected firing group.

EDIT: You really want to use turrets only for massive boats that take an eternity to turn, like an Anaconda or a Type-9. Otherwise, the drop in firepower is way too much of a tradeoff for improved fire radius. A Vulture, for example, has no need for turreted weapons whatsoever.

Well, there was that time back when you could ride on top of a capital ship and just set fire at will and then go make a sandwich or something.

Good times.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SynthOrange posted:

Okay so ive been playing for about a week. I gather that to get higher ranked missions i should hang out in one area and do missions for a particular faction til my reputation with them is high? What should I be looking for in a faction to hitch up with?

You're going to want to find a faction that includes both the name of a valuable gemstone and an animal. I think there's one in 63 G. Capricorni

Every other faction can pretty much be ignored unless they just happen to have a great mission available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I still have my Vulture from before. Should I go visit Space Khaleesi and work on getting a pretty green shield, or should I go hang out with my icephibian homies?

• Locked thread