Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

BTW I told you guys earlier that Bartender suddenly started working, but now they've actually released an update that fixes the infinite loop bug and everything is gravy so go for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

El Capitan decides to randomly drop audio routing to my Airport Express and use the built in speakers instead. Whyyyyyy.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I don't understand what I'm doing wrong to install Windows via Boot Camp. I have a Mid-2009 MacBook Pro and I can't install Windows without putting it on a CD. I followed the instructions to change the info.plist file so that I can install via USB but I'm still having getting the message that I need to insert a DVD and I think I have two versions of Boot Camp Assistant now?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

The icon on the left is Disk Utility; the one on the right is the correct icon for BCA.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
I'm not sure what this would be called in OS X, so please forgive me if it's a really dumb question. Is there a way to prevent an OS X computer from going to a specific website like how you can alter the hosts file in Windows to take a Facebook.com request and bounce it to say Sesame Street's site?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Parts Kit posted:

I'm not sure what this would be called in OS X, so please forgive me if it's a really dumb question. Is there a way to prevent an OS X computer from going to a specific website like how you can alter the hosts file in Windows to take a Facebook.com request and bounce it to say Sesame Street's site?

OS X has a hosts file located in /private/etc. By default it's locked for editing so you will have to copy it somewhere else, edit it, then copy it back into that folder.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Parts Kit posted:

/private/etc/hosts ?

open it with sudo nano, go nuts

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Durr, should have thought to check if macs have a hosts file. Thanks.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

but if you're trying to keep your kid off facebook it's never going to work

bored kids are resourceful as gently caress

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pivo posted:

but if you're trying to keep your kid off facebook it's never going to work

bored kids are resourceful as gently caress

That just means you tricked them into learning something.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

That just means you tricked them into learning something.

Yeah, all my parents tricked me into learning is that my dad kept the cable to my monitor in the trunk of his car and that he kept his car keys in really easy to find places. Also, the monitor cables were standard and I eventually gathered a collection of them that he didn't know about. Ultima Online all night long, baby, school be damned.

What did I learn? I dunno.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

suddenlyissoon posted:

I have the strangest problem with Safari. Every time I click on an embedded YouTube video, a different video plays. It's a completely random, separate video from the one that is actually embedded. This happens whether I try to play it embedded or I click the button to watch it on YouTube. The only way I'm able to watch the actual video is to refresh the page after the video has started and click play again. Is anyone else having this issue in El Capitan or is it just me?

Do you have ClickToPlugin installed and if so, does this match your problems?

https://github.com/hoyois/clicktoplugin/issues/139

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm told that MacOS, being a derivative of Unix, can be installed on PCs using hacked installers. Why won't apple just sell a PC edition of MacOS? Why keep it exclusive to its own hardware?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm told that MacOS, being a derivative of Unix, can be installed on PCs using hacked installers. Why won't apple just sell a PC edition of MacOS? Why keep it exclusive to its own hardware?

Because it's a large part of what makes the hardware (which is already a PC) worth it?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
But Apple could make more money if they sold it to PC users and manufacturers, right?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

But Apple could make more money if they sold it to PC users and manufacturers, right?

How many PC users want OSX on a non-apple machine and would the money from them offset the extra cost for apple?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Baron Bifford posted:

Unlikely. Or at least unlikely at a scale that matters, especially when you add in the massive increase in support costs this would entail. They're still a hardware and services company — the software drives those hardware and service sales. The software that drives services, in particular, already exists for Windows so there's no need for more.

You might as well ask why iOS isn't available for Samsung phones.

e: ^^^ Andrast's point is a good one too: anyone who'd want to do that already does it. Apple isn't really doing anything to stop the hackingtoshes, which should tell you something about how large and valuable a market that one is…

Tippis fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 13, 2015

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

NeuralSpark posted:

The icon on the left is Disk Utility; the one on the right is the correct icon for BCA.

That's what I've been using to try and install Windows but I still get the message.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

Considering Apple gives it's software away for free and has the highest hardware profit margin of any computer manufacturer - that probably wouldn't work well.

They have done it before though. For a brief time in the late 90's you could buy a Mac OS clone - which lead to some cool quad CPU systems.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 13, 2015

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The reason that Apple has the It Just Works reputation is largely down to OS X being only officially supported on Apple hardware; it's less work to make the OS appear efficient.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TinTower posted:

The reason that Apple has the It Just Works reputation is largely down to OS X being only officially supported on Apple hardware; it's less work to make the OS appear efficient.

Not just appear, it is straight up more efficient to work with a standardized set of hardware.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

See also iOS

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

Considering Apple gives it's software away for free and has the highest hardware profit margin of any computer manufacturer - that probably wouldn't work well.

They have done it before though. For a brief time in the late 90's you could buy a Mac OS clone - which lead to some cool quad CPU systems.

Which almost gutted the company (along with horrible mis-management from the top). Which is why they'll never do that again.

Apple is a hardware company, they aren't interested in eroding their sales/profit margins by assuming a higher support and development cost associated with allowing 3rd party hardware.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Oct 13, 2015

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

BobHoward posted:

Do you have ClickToPlugin installed and if so, does this match your problems?

https://github.com/hoyois/clicktoplugin/issues/139

Nope, I only have AdBlock & Reddit Enhancement suite extensions and nothing similar in plugins.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Not just appear, it is straight up more efficient to work with a standardized set of hardware.

One of the most obvious examples of this are trackpads. No Windows laptop has ever had a good trackpad.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Krispy Kareem posted:

One of the most obvious examples of this are trackpads. No Windows laptop has ever had a good trackpad.

Including Macs running Bootcamp. Whether it's just them keeping their algorithms exclusive to their OS or a limitation of drivers I don't know.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

carry on then posted:

Including Macs running Bootcamp. Whether it's just them keeping their algorithms exclusive to their OS or a limitation of drivers I don't know.

I've had good experiences with this, although it's been a couple years since I've used run a Boot Camp'd Windows (I generally just VM Windows these days on Macbooks).

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
So... Apple doesn't care about OSX's market share, it cares about the market share of its laptops and desktops. If they released OSX for non-Apple systems, Apple would be crushed by clone manufacturers.

What is the market share of iMacs and MacBooks anyway? Are they indeed the most popular brand of personal computer?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Baron Bifford posted:

So... Apple doesn't care about OSX's market share, it cares about the market share of its laptops and desktops. If they released OSX for non-Apple systems, Apple would be crushed by clone manufacturers.

What is the market share of iMacs and MacBooks anyway? Are they indeed the most popular brand of personal computer?

Apple doesn't care about market share, they care about making money. If they valued marketshare over everything else, they'd be selling their products near cost or even as loss leaders. They make the lion's share of the profit from a minority of the overall market and they like it that way.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Pivo posted:

Yeah, all my parents tricked me into learning is that my dad kept the cable to my monitor in the trunk of his car and that he kept his car keys in really easy to find places. Also, the monitor cables were standard and I eventually gathered a collection of them that he didn't know about. Ultima Online all night long, baby, school be damned.

What did I learn? I dunno.

You learned how to show authority respect while subverting it, you learned what a VGA cable is and how to identify that port, you learned basic computer skills that many people who use them daily don't seem to have (maybe the monitor needs to be plugged in? Nah, let's just call the Geek Squad.) It's more than you learn from just being permitted to do the dumb thing you wanted to do (waiting up until 6AM eastern to try to nab all the server-spawn items that aren't locked down).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Baron Bifford posted:

When Apple says their computers are the most popular it's because Apple only has a few models compared to competitors. The original G3 iMac was the most popular computer because it was just one model line whereas Dell and Compaq had dozens of desktops models, which individually sold less than the iMac, but collectively made Apple's sales look like a rounding error.

At their worst Apple's market share was about 2%. I think they're around 5% now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Krispy Kareem posted:

When Apple says their computers are the most popular it's because Apple only has a few models compared to competitors. The original G3 iMac was the most popular computer because it was just one model line whereas Dell and Compaq had dozens of desktops models, which individually sold less than the iMac, but collectively made Apple's sales look like a rounding error.

At their worst Apple's market share was about 2%. I think they're around 5% now.

Sales wise it's double that.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

carry on then posted:

Apple doesn't care about market share, they care about making money. If they valued marketshare over everything else, they'd be selling their products near cost or even as loss leaders. They make the lion's share of the profit from a minority of the overall market and they like it that way.
Apple does seem keen on giving its products chic value in order to inflate the price.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Yep that is in fact the only reason Apple product pricing is "inflated".

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Remember, if it's not cheap poo poo garbage, then you are being ripped off 100%. Always buy cheapest. If its not cheap, it's probably Apple trying to chic-gently caress you right in the rear end in a top hat.

Also bring back the cheap poo poo clones. Rule of thumb is if it dilutes your product line, always do it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

After all, you only have your worthless time to lose

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
a mac is a status symbol and macs are about 20% more expensive than they should be and anyone who thinks otherwise are fooling themselves.

like yes, the build quality is OK and Apple's service is good but don't for a second think it's because of some magical ~higher quality~ reason

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

robodex posted:

a mac is a status symbol and macs are about 20% more expensive than they should be and anyone who thinks otherwise are fooling themselves.

like yes, the build quality is OK and Apple's service is good but don't for a second think it's because of some magical ~higher quality~ reason

In my experience for PC laptops by the time you get to the price point for them not to be giant hot plastic bricks you're in Macbook territory anyway

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not a terribly relevant conversation for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Changing the Startup Disk in Preferences now requires me to unlock and enter my password in El Capitan. Can I turn this off?