Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

They just announced Trump will host SNL.

He's going to get booed the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

William Bear posted:

Similar strong language from conservative NYTimes columnist David Brooks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/opinion/the-republicans-incompetence-caucus.html?_r=1

Even if this trouble finding a new Speaker is the last straw that leads to the few remaining serious conservative intellectuals leaving the party or criticizing the roots of its failure (See also, the recent Ben Bernake talk about how he stopped considering himself a Republican after constant confrontation with demonstrably false and damaging economic policy during his tenure as Fed Chairman), I can't see what effect it has. How many Republican voters will be swayed by this?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

He's going to get booed the whole time.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get SNL tickets? Not even the most diehard liberal would jeopardize their seat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

William Bear posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/opinion/the-republicans-incompetence-caucus.html?_r=1

Even if this trouble finding a new Speaker is the last straw that leads to the few remaining serious conservative intellectuals leaving the party or criticizing the roots of its failure (See also, the recent Ben Bernake talk about how he stopped considering himself a Republican after constant confrontation with demonstrably false and damaging economic policy during his tenure as Fed Chairman), I can't see what effect it has. How many Republican voters will be swayed by this?

loving David Brooks, as if he's been the elder statesman of reason all these years :rolleyes:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

greatn posted:

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get SNL tickets? Not even the most diehard liberal would jeopardize their seat.

If they already in the audience booing him though why would they care? Unless SNL is no longer live. I'd feel ripped off if the SNL I get to go to stars The Trump.

Not like being banned for LIFE from SNL showings will be some big loss.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

William Bear posted:

and Salon's take: Sweet Jesus, David Brooks is finally making sense: How Fox News & the GOP insanity caucus pushed him over the edge

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

McAlister posted:

Clinton also says they shouldn't have the weapons.

This is a clear policy difference. We all agree they shouldn't use the weapons the way they are using them. Just some of us also think that they shouldn't even have them in the first place as having them is the temptation to mis-use them.

This is purely unrealistic policy and probably would be dropped if Clinton ever attempted to throw it out. Even if you had a flat AWB across the board, it would only take one leak and another LA style shootout, which would be entirely blamed on the left. Nobody here wants to own that.

Guns and military equipment don't make cops fascist dickheads. Cops being fascist dickheads makes them fascist dickheads. You're just absolving them of any blame put on them otherwise.

e: take this poo poo into the Police & Criminal Justice or gunchat thread, please

Job Truniht fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 13, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

David Brooks going :catstare: at the Tea Party has been the driving theme of his writing since like 2010.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SquadronROE posted:

So now that McCarthy is out and Paul Ryan is too far to the left, who is left?

Paul Ryan, obviously. :rimshot:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That would be Must See TV though, a literal BY GOD THAT'S DIAMOND JOE'S MUSIC

First of all this is the most beautiful thing ever, and there are so many "Diamond Joe Entrance Themes" I can think of that would be beautiful (Cat Scratch Fever, I Just Cant Drive 55, Dr. Feelgood, Here I Go Again on my Own)

Second, you've made me realize that JR NEEDS to moderate a Republican debate :bahgawd:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I don't know how the GOP is going to nominate someone who has Rubio's immigration history...

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Freedom Caucus: "House Speaker? No one left."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Reminder that @dick_nixon will be offering commentary tonight at Esquire with Charles Pierce and that you should regularly be reading both of them

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Trabisnikof posted:

loving David Brooks, as if he's been the elder statesman of reason all these years :rolleyes:

100% this. Brooks has been spewing hyperbolic nonsense for the last decade at least. For him to pretend to be the victim of some hostile takeover is absurd.

It is strange to see so many of the GOP faithful finally turn on the Party though.

Diamond Joe should come out on stage to "No More Tears". It would be awesome on so many levels.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

mcmagic posted:

I don't know how the GOP is going to nominate someone who has Rubio's immigration history...

You have to remember, since the last two elections it's been the least worst candidate that gets the nomination.
Not the 'definite better than other side presidential winner' candidate.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So let's see, the head of the Investigate Planned Parenthood committee admitted there was no wrongdoing, Planned Parenthood decided to voluntarily stop taking payments for packing and shipping fetal tissue and will now do it out of pocket at a hit to its bottom line making science even harder to do, but I guess that's what we have to do to be done with the investiga---

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/256773-house-republicans-planned-parenthood-probes-must-continue

quote:

House Republicans are not letting up in their investigations of Planned Parenthood, after the group announced Tuesday it is ending its controversial practice of accepting compensation for fetal tissue donations.

Top Republicans, like House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz (R-Utah), are seizing on Planned Parenthood’s policy change as a “good, tangible result” of the investigations. But he and others said it’s not enough to end the inquiries.

“Significant questions still remain about Planned Parenthood's finances,” Chaffetz, a candidate for Speaker, wrote in a statement.

“I’m glad to see Planned Parenthood is finally recognizing the need to end this disgusting practice,” added Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), vice chairwoman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which is leading a separate investigation.

“However, there are still many questions yet to be answered surrounding Planned Parenthood's business practices and relationships with the procurement organizations. This is exactly why the House is investigating abortion practices and how we can better protect life.”

Jason Chaffetz is literal human trash and I will literally buy a loving cake the day he dies.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Can you sue congress for harassment?

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

greatn posted:

Would his them music be Rambling Man?

Bernie's would be Sleep Now in the Fire

Hah, this encouraged me to watch the Rage video and there is a man holding a Donald Trump for President sign outside the NYSE in it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Seriously, this is just "THE INVESTIGATIONS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES" at this point.

We've had how many Benghazi committees, how many Planned Parenthood committees are we going to end up with, and when was the last time we actually passed a budget?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

Seriously, this is just "THE INVESTIGATIONS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES" at this point.

We've had how many Benghazi committees, how many Planned Parenthood committees are we going to end up with, and when was the last time we actually passed a budget?

What else are they supposed to do, pass laws?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Serious question: are even things like post office naming going un-done right now?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Everblight posted:

Serious question: are even things like post office naming going un-done right now?

This legislative session is setting records for the least output of anything, ever.

The GOP is dangerously close to getting their wish of utterly breaking the US government.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Unzip and Attack posted:

100% this. Brooks has been spewing hyperbolic nonsense for the last decade at least. For him to pretend to be the victim of some hostile takeover is absurd.

It is strange to see so many of the GOP faithful finally turn on the Party though.

Diamond Joe should come out on stage to "No More Tears". It would be awesome on so many levels.
OTOH think of how much of a fuckup you have to be for David Brooks to say you're bad at politicking :stonk:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

What else are they supposed to do, pass laws?

Posture by half-assedly trying to repeal things the public doesn't even think about, such as the MBTA.

badatom
Dec 10, 2011
That liberty.me site kept freezing up my internet browser. How appropriate.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Everblight posted:

I don't know a whole lot about this, but "acts" are passed bills right?

If so the last two passed bills are:

114-66 - To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1 Walter Hammond Place in Waldwick, New Jersey, as the "Staff Sergeant Joseph D'Augustine Post Office Building".

114-67 - To designate the Federal building located at 617 Walnut Street in Helena, Arkansas, as the "Jacob Trieber Federal Building, United States Post Office, and United States Court House".

Of the 67 acts of the 114th congress, 14 have been bills to name a building after someone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acts_of_the_114th_United_States_Congress

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Everblight posted:

Generally everyone on both sides agrees with them so those sail right through.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Hasn't this been basically what everyone has been saying since like 2008, if not earlier? That the GOP is stuck between the crazed evangelicals/teabags and the "discrimination is bad publicity" business types, and the crazed ones are driving the business ones out due to gerrymandering thanks to how they've been focusing more and more on stuff like Palin's hosed up version of slam poetry rather than any semblance of policy? The end result being that there's zero interest in the actual job of governance since to them winning the election is governance enough?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I wish the idiot fuckers would just split off from the obviously too liberal ugh rest of the GOP already

Paul Fuckin' Ryan is too liberal for these insatiable nutjobs

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I think a lot are also pissed they won a majority in both houses (and have the Supreme Court to write laws for them) and yet Obama is still president and Christianity isn't the state religion. When what their Reps are promising is impossible, everyone is a RINO and I have no idea what the end result of this all is when a percentage of the country is living in Cloud CooCoo Land but is adamant that they get their way at the expense of everything.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

pathetic little tramp posted:

I don't know a whole lot about this, but "acts" are passed bills right?

If so the last two passed bills are:

114-66 - To designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 1 Walter Hammond Place in Waldwick, New Jersey, as the "Staff Sergeant Joseph D'Augustine Post Office Building".

114-67 - To designate the Federal building located at 617 Walnut Street in Helena, Arkansas, as the "Jacob Trieber Federal Building, United States Post Office, and United States Court House".

Of the 67 acts of the 114th congress, 14 have been bills to name a building after someone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_acts_of_the_114th_United_States_Congress

Wonder what the no votes are for.

" This post office can't be named while sluts still murder babies!"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah John Roberts is too liberal now. It's a revolutionary time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

I think a lot are also pissed they won a majority in both houses (and have the Supreme Court to write laws for them) and yet Obama is still president and Christianity isn't the state religion. When what their Reps are promising is impossible, everyone is a RINO and I have no idea what the end result of this all is when a percentage of the country is living in Cloud CooCoo Land but is adamant that they get their way at the expense of everything.

Well hopefully the end result is a complete rebuke by the electorate.

I have a feeling that the Tea Party is going to lose a lot of steam once the president is white again.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

DemeaninDemon posted:

Wonder what the no votes are for.

" This post office can't be named while sluts still murder babies!"

Those are identification numbers not vote tallies.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OAquinas posted:

This legislative session is setting records for the least output of anything, ever.

The GOP is dangerously close to getting their wish of utterly breaking the US government.

For 30 years the GOP has been saying that "government is the problem" and talking about how they want to dismantle it. People who hate government and want to destroy it are not good at actually governing. Weird how that works.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

zoux posted:

David Brooks going :catstare: at the Tea Party has been the driving theme of his writing since like 2010.

Thing is, that piece isn't about the tea party. It's about the Republican Party as a whole. He's no longer pretending that the lunatics are a wing of the party: he's saying "well, all the sane people are dead and only the lunatics are left".

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Maybe the GOP will be able to excise the deadly parasite from their brains before it's too late for them, but it's unlikely and the rest of the US will have to live with the stinking corpse in the room. It's already getting pretty ripe in here

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Do republicans and democrats still go to lunch/dinner on the Hill or has even basic collegiality broken down?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

zoux posted:

Well hopefully the end result is a complete rebuke by the electorate.
Reminder that the Republican Party is now the most dominant it has ever been since the Reconstruction. They have most of the state legislatures, most of the governorships, the house, the sentence, and the SCOTUS.

quote:

I have a feeling that the Tea Party is going to lose a lot of steam once the president is white again.
how about if it is a woman they have been prepped to hate daily for 25 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

Reminder that the Republican Party is now the most dominant it has ever been since the Reconstruction. They have most of the style legislatures, most of the governorships, the house, the sentence, and the SCOTUS.
how about if it is a woman they have been prepped to hate daily for 25 years?

Their moms, sisters, wives, daughters and mistresses are women. They aren't terrified by women.

• Locked thread