Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenoCanSing
Mar 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"... and his little dog, Ember."

Man,I've been talking like Russell (or Howard's impression of him) for the past half hour. It's quite addictive.

" You're a sick guy... Is this how you get your lust... jollies?"

He's just upset that Ethel got her cuntlips caught in the beltsander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Wow, make sure you check your Sirius renewal statement. I've been paying 12.99 a year for internet only, and the renewal bill was for $204.88, $14.99 a month plus a $25 "US Music Royalty Fee". The renewal was going to be automatic, too.

gently caress them. When I called and demanded last years price, I got a bullshit runaround, so I canceled.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
12.99 a year? How in the hell? Did that include Howard?

What is the cheapest way to get a car + streaming now? I am about to get a new car and I am probably going to subscribe again.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
He's not slightly impaired, he's fully drat blind. God almighty, Gary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILekBKC8peM

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

12.99 a year? How in the hell? Did that include Howard?

Yes, it did, the streaming-only package is only one set of channels.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Even their packages are retarded

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/dee-snider-howard-stern-friendship/

This is really sad

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Yeah, that's worse than I remembered; Howard is just a douchebag about everything. "Why didn't you invite Dee and Suzette to the wedding?" "Oh, I forgot."

Also, this:

Stern, years later in 2006, eventually admitted he was upset with Snider over his decision to compete against him, conceding that while he gave Snider his blessing to take the gig, he felt his one-time friend “should have just known better” than to ask.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

prefect posted:

Stern, years later in 2006, eventually admitted he was upset with Snider over his decision to compete against him, conceding that while he gave Snider his blessing to take the gig, he felt his one-time friend “should have just known better” than to ask.

What a little loving bitch Howard is, holy poo poo.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
The general hypocrisy that has surrounded the last 12-15 years of Howard's life is nothing short of phenomenal. The man became everything he grew up hating, it's absolutely remarkable.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of that, I swear Howard has had some pretty substantial work done to his face recently.

https://instagram.com/p/7q1_m-DCIA/?taken-by=sternshow

Maybe I'm crazy, but it looks like his eyes and cheeks are different. Looks good for his 60s either way.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

He still looks like every lesbian middle school art teacher in America

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Crotch Bat posted:

The general hypocrisy that has surrounded the last 12-15 years of Howard's life is nothing short of phenomenal. The man became everything he grew up hating, it's absolutely remarkable.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

This was posted on the last page. It's definitely worth downloading the podcast and getting the whole story:

Paul Kersey posted:

Dee Snider just did a whole podcast discussing his on-again, off-again friendship with Howard (the Howard stuff starts at around 13:00).

http://www.podcastone.com/pg/jsp/program/episode.jsp?programID=775&pid=554731
I'm assuming that it's just Howard's neurosis? Who knows. The funniest part in that podcast is that after the third time that Howard "dumped" Dee, Dee's wife was like "You are not befriending this guy again after the third time, he's like a woman!"

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Sasquatch! posted:

I'm assuming that it's just Howard's neurosis? Who knows. The funniest part in that podcast is that after the third time that Howard "dumped" Dee, Dee's wife was like "You are not befriending this guy again after the third time, he's like a woman!"

Well Howard goes into this in his book about this stuff. The guy has severe OCD which is barely treated. He has been going to a shrink for decades now with no real improvement, which if he was my shrink I would have fired him long ago.

Like every falling out Howard has had the person on the other side generally tried to do the right thing. I mean hell Dee offered to give the guy 10% in which he was not obligated to do in the least.

Howard is a coward, petty and self obsessed. He has no idea how to really deal with issues, feelings or life. You see this came from his upbringing in which neither of his parents seem exactly "warm" and that era of people generally never dealt with their issues openly.

His marriage seemed to have fallen apart mainly because he could not deal with the real issues in his personal life. I have always felt that he has thought that if he was successful and made money that he would be a good husband. "I provide for you, what else do you want out of me!?"

I think the persona he portrayed on the radio was everything he wished he could actually be; confident, open, honest, etc.

I think his life now is just a way to cope with the way he is. Beth is a trophy wife who will take care of him but as long as he has money and success she is happy with him. He has celebrity "fake" friends which is easier for him because he doesn't have to deal with actual friendship or real life issues with them. They can meet up, have dinner or whatever and bullshit. It is the Sweet and Low of friendships. Hell the show is now even easy as he has disengaged mostly; low hours, he isn't dealing with office issues anymore, easy fluff interviews.

Howard doesn't have to struggle or work at anything anymore. He has enablers all around him.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Djarum posted:

His marriage seemed to have fallen apart mainly because he could not deal with the real issues in his personal life. I have always felt that he has thought that if he was successful and made money that he would be a good husband. "I provide for you, what else do you want out of me!?"

He's so driven by success that this is what it boils down to in the end. It's not a bad quality to have but when it's an obsession instead of a motivator it makes you a greedy, lovely person. Everything for him relates to money and it's a huge reason why he re-upped with Sirius, did AGT, etc. He has an ungodly amount of money and it's not enough for him and nothing ever will be enough.

I remember listening to Richard show off his chops for the first time and Howard's words on it were "he got really good and not many other people can do what he does but he made no money doing it". The idea of someone perfecting their craft but not making millions of dollars isn't a foreign concept to him, it's a loser's concept. Another great example is when fans wrote letters and railed on him for how he acted to the staff during Sandy and his default reply for everyone is "they're losers working a lovely job at McDonalds, they don't know what real work is".

And yea, you're absolutely right about being a provider. It's at the forefront of how he described himself as a husband and a father on the show. Fred and Gary were notoriously better parents than him but his defense was always "my wife and kids have everything they ever wanted, I'm a good provider". I won't blame the provider stuff entirely on him, though, that's just how he was raised.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Crotch Bat posted:

He's so driven by success that this is what it boils down to in the end. It's not a bad quality to have but when it's an obsession instead of a motivator it makes you a greedy, lovely person. Everything for him relates to money and it's a huge reason why he re-upped with Sirius, did AGT, etc. He has an ungodly amount of money and it's not enough for him and nothing ever will be enough.

I remember listening to Richard show off his chops for the first time and Howard's words on it were "he got really good and not many other people can do what he does but he made no money doing it". The idea of someone perfecting their craft but not making millions of dollars isn't a foreign concept to him, it's a loser's concept. Another great example is when fans wrote letters and railed on him for how he acted to the staff during Sandy and his default reply for everyone is "they're losers working a lovely job at McDonalds, they don't know what real work is".

And yea, you're absolutely right about being a provider. It's at the forefront of how he described himself as a husband and a father on the show. Fred and Gary were notoriously better parents than him but his defense was always "my wife and kids have everything they ever wanted, I'm a good provider". I won't blame the provider stuff entirely on him, though, that's just how he was raised.

I have been listening to a giant pack of Howard's parents clips and especially in the more recent years it gets very telling into where a lot of psychosis came from.

For instance when Howard was a kid he would go with his father to work and see his father kiss the rear end of every client in the recording studio. The exact kind of interaction he craved from his father. So he felt that he had to become a successful broadcaster to gain his father's love.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Right, and meanwhile, the actual truth was that Ben Stern HATED most of those broadcasters who's asses he was kissing. Young Howard couldn't tell the difference.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I think the most telling thing about Stern is how bitter he's been about Stuttering John leaving - you'd think he would be excited that a fellow co-worker of 10+ years would land a better paying job. Instead, we all listened to him bitch for 5+ years about Jay and John.

I can't wait - you know he's not going to set-up the entire Stern crew with jobs after he ends the show. He expects extreme loyalty from his co-workers, but isn't willing to give anything in return.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

I think the most telling thing about Stern is how bitter he's been about Stuttering John leaving - you'd think he would be excited that a fellow co-worker of 10+ years would land a better paying job. Instead, we all listened to him bitch for 5+ years about Jay and John.

I can't wait - you know he's not going to set-up the entire Stern crew with jobs after he ends the show. He expects extreme loyalty from his co-workers, but isn't willing to give anything in return.

Oh I am absolutely sure of that. "Well if they are any good they will be able to find work on their own! I made 96 dollars a week!"

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Djarum posted:

Oh I am absolutely sure of that. "Well if they are any good they will be able to find work on their own! I made 96 dollars a week!"

He'll support them. So they don't write books about the shitshow behind the scenes.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Djarum posted:

The best part is when he got the program director job for $250 a week. Given inflation that's more like $50k/year at its most conservative estimate but using other sites(http://www.measuringworth.com/m/calculators/uscompare/) his economic power was that of someone making $82k/year today.

So yes, that $96/week wasn't much but he also worked only 24 hours a week and that salary lasted about 6 months until he got the promotion. He kept that job and salary for well over 2 years(the movie makes it seem like he lasted no time as program director) and his next job at WCCC was for the same salary.

The guy spent like 6 months of his adult life not making more than enough money to life comfortably but man he rails on that $96/week stuff like he needed welfare to help get by and was scratching and clawing for years until he got the big WNBC break.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Djarum posted:

One of the reasons he refused to give Jackie more money is because people weren't coming to Jackie with bigger offers. Unless you could force Howard to give you more money, he would never give you anything.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Er, let's be clear here RE: Jackie. Howard saved Jackie's rear end multiple times from getting canned by Tom. I'm working through the complete year of 1994, and even back then Jackie was barely keeping his job because he was such a monumental pain in the rear end about money. In fact, in the show I just finished, Howard talks about how he had to have a private negotiation with Tom and the other higher-ups to convince them to keep Jackie around, because they were so pissed off at Jackie for writing a formal resignation letter (signed by his wife Nancy of all people) to try to squeeze them. The only between difference Jackie in 1988, and Jackie in 2001, is that Howard was sick of defending Jackie.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hahaha, so I'm doing content review (tagging, really) for Redtube right now, and what should appear but the bathtub scene from Private Parts. It was set to 'threesome' (because of Fred), but I actually have to tag it as 'couple', since it's only the woman (Melanie Good) and Howard touching.

:allears:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmr7Gz-LjJI

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

Hahaha, so I'm doing content review (tagging, really) for Redtube right now, and what should appear but the bathtub scene from Private Parts. It was set to 'threesome' (because of Fred), but I actually have to tag it as 'couple', since it's only the woman (Melanie Good) and Howard touching.

But do you know if Howard ever got hard while filming his movie?

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Crotch Bat posted:

The guy spent like 6 months of his adult life not making more than enough money to life comfortably but man he rails on that $96/week stuff like he needed welfare to help get by and was scratching and clawing for years until he got the big WNBC break.

Every boomer does this. They are straight motherfuckers.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Can your websites host that clip? Do you have get permission from Paramount or whoever owns those rights?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

kylej posted:

Er, let's be clear here RE: Jackie. Howard saved Jackie's rear end multiple times from getting canned by Tom. I'm working through the complete year of 1994, and even back then Jackie was barely keeping his job because he was such a monumental pain in the rear end about money. In fact, in the show I just finished, Howard talks about how he had to have a private negotiation with Tom and the other higher-ups to convince them to keep Jackie around, because they were so pissed off at Jackie for writing a formal resignation letter (signed by his wife Nancy of all people) to try to squeeze them. The only between difference Jackie in 1988, and Jackie in 2001, is that Howard was sick of defending Jackie.

Nancy was such a massive piece of poo poo, I almost feel bad for Jackie not dumping her worthless rear end years before she left him at the first sign of trouble (a.k.a less money for her garbage CDs that nobody bought).

Then again, those two were probably perfect for each other.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 13, 2015

Cliche Guevara
Dec 12, 2005
whistlebritches

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Because, at the time (and things are timeless with Stern at just the right moment), he got the best gig one could ever get: a stuttering hack who worked minimally to get a 7 or more figure income.
He is now that hack with AGT.

He is very bitter about the hard work he has put in to get famous, but not the mass appeal praise. Personally, I would not care if some obese housewives out of Wyoming did not like me, but evidently he does. I always found it funny when he would criticize Rodney Dangerfield or Regis for their late-entry into show business and being workaholics doing whatever, yet he was the same individual - he really wasn't a known name until he was almost forty (1993).

Remember, kids: when you get "gently caress-you money", you owe no one nothing. This goes for anyone and anything.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

kylej posted:

F Jackie for real. I read that recent radar online article where he just brazenly throws Benjy under the bus. He is so self centered and delusional that he's claiming that Benjy only got his writer job as some ploy by Howard's agent to put pressure on Jackie. But if you listen to his early years as an intern, everyone compliments Benjy for being a talented hard worker that comes up with good ideas (and seriously why else would you put up with his schtick if he wasn't good at his job?). But nope, everyone is out to get Jokeman, it can't be because of genuine talent.

The article pisses me off because it's so hypocritical. Jackie is exactly the kind of backstabbing, show-sabotaging scumbag that he accuses everyone else of being. Take for instance the underhandedness of declaring himself head writer over Fred, who had been with Howard longer and was loyal to him without any headaches. When his contract negotiations with the station broke down, he'd do difficult prima donna poo poo like refusing to let the E! cameras film him for the show or simply refusing to show up to the job and leaving everyone in a lurch. Tom was right to give Jackie the boot and he only has himself to blame.

Caper
Feb 20, 2005

Fallen Rib
They should have paid Jackie in jokes.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jose Oquendo posted:

Can your websites host that clip? Do you have get permission from Paramount or whoever owns those rights?

Well, unofficially (or officially?) if someone claims copyright, we investigate and then probably take it down. Otherwise, we don't really do anything, because holy poo poo, what a hassle to keep our eyes out and follow up on all of that.

Rarely do we get an entire Hollywood film, so we usually take action when that happens. Iron Man is a popular upload.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

moot the hopple posted:

The article pisses me off because it's so hypocritical. Jackie is exactly the kind of backstabbing, show-sabotaging scumbag that he accuses everyone else of being. Take for instance the underhandedness of declaring himself head writer over Fred, who had been with Howard longer and was loyal to him without any headaches. When his contract negotiations with the station broke down, he'd do difficult prima donna poo poo like refusing to let the E! cameras film him for the show or simply refusing to show up to the job and leaving everyone in a lurch. Tom was right to give Jackie the boot and he only has himself to blame.

Say what you will about Howard; he was dead on about Jackie from day one. I have never heard someone psychoanalyze another person as well as Howard analyzed Jackie. Jackie had, has, and will forever have that "loser mentality".

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Here's something you will never, ever hear again on the channels.

Billy West doing Mayor Dinkins.

https://soundcloud.com/captain-dan-3/audio-1-1

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Crotch Bat posted:

I think Richard and Sour Shoes make Howard seethe. Neither of them are successful in Howard's eyes, but both seem content and pleasant. I recall several rants where Howard rages at Richard to grow up, and Richard gives the best possible reply which is something along the lines of "huh huh...yeah". Howard can't fathom happiness if you aren't a millionaire and 'the best'

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 14, 2015

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

What makes this even worse is that Stern did the exact same thing to Viacom that John did to him. He signed with Sirius without giving K-Rok a chance to make any counter offer, it was all done behind closed doors without Les Moonves or Tom being aware of it and he didn't reveal it until after the contract was signed. In some cases it is even worse as he moved on to a competing station (despite Howard's claims to the contrary) and spent a year promoting it on their airwaves.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

^^ That's a drat good point.

moot the hopple posted:

F Jackie for real. I read that recent radar online article where he just brazenly throws Benjy under the bus. He is so self centered and delusional that he's claiming that Benjy only got his writer job as some ploy by Howard's agent to put pressure on Jackie. But if you listen to his early years as an intern, everyone compliments Benjy for being a talented hard worker that comes up with good ideas (and seriously why else would you put up with his schtick if he wasn't good at his job?). But nope, everyone is out to get Jokeman, it can't be because of genuine talent.

What kind of moron plays hardball when your replacement is already in the studio, actively replacing you?

It wasn't even really a "read between the lines" situation; Howard was demonstrating that Jackie was no longer needed, right to his goddamn face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Jackie is almost certainly right about Benjy being a Buchwald idea. The only person of the main 5 not represented by him was Jackie and honestly if Jackie was with Buchwald he likely would have gotten the raise he asked for and you'd have never heard about contract discussions.

Jackie being cheap and not wanting to give 10% to an agent quite literally cost him millions of dollars.