Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

pun pundit posted:

Keep in mind that you'll have less of an ability to do medium-length trips with quick charging at your destination with a Mercedes B-class as it doesn't have any quick charging support. I'd recommend looking into any planned quick charging stations in your area before you buy a car that won't take quick charging.

As I understand it, they're basically a Tesla drive train/charging port without the battery/other bits. Does Tesla have quick charging on the horizon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
There's the supercharger but are you looking for something faster?

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Tesla also has a chademo adapter, not sure about the SAE combo plug.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Godholio posted:

There's the supercharger but are you looking for something faster?

I won't be doing more than 25 miles each direction during my daily commute so, I'm not looking for anything except what I install at home.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Ranter posted:

As I understand it, they're basically a Tesla drive train/charging port without the battery/other bits. Does Tesla have quick charging on the horizon?

The Mercedes might have a Tesla drive train, I don't know. It doesn't have the Tesla charging port. The Merc has a standard charging port for 110-240V AC, and no charging port for any of the two competing generally available quick charging systems. Tesla has their own proprietary charging port which supports their own proprietary quick charging system that's freely (and only) available to Tesla Model S (and X, I assume).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

pun pundit posted:

The Mercedes might have a Tesla drive train, I don't know. It doesn't have the Tesla charging port.

The rep must have been lying to me then.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Collateral Damage posted:

Tell the salesman (or rather, his boss) that you just bought a car and the main reason for going with another brand over chevy was the salesman's nagging.
This is an excellent plan.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

VW, seeing the writing on the wall, writing which says "VW is as dead as Rudolf Diesel's canary, unless it changes direction immediately":

quote:

The newly-formed Volkswagen Brand Board of Management took further strategic decisions at a special meeting. CEO Dr. Herbert Diess announced major product decisions: a reorientation of the diesel strategy with the most advanced technologies, the development of a standardized electric architecture for passenger cars and light commercial vehicles, and a new approach for the next generation of the Phaeton. Investments are to be reduced by some one billion euros per year, the efficiency program is to be accelerated.

MEB electric toolkit
An MEB electric toolkit for future use in compact segment vehicles is to be developed based on the experience gained with existing vehicle architectures. This will be a multi-brand toolkit suitable for both passenger cars and light commercial vehicles and will thus leverage synergies from other electric vehicle projects in the Group. The standardized system will be designed for all body structures and vehicle types, thus allowing particularly emotional vehicle concepts, and will enable an all-electric range of 250 to 500 kilometers.

Phaeton redefined – the future is electric
The Volkswagen Phaeton has embodied the brand’s technological competence and brand ambition from the first generation onward. The future generation of the Phaeton will once again be the flagship for the brand’s profile over the next decade. In light of this, the Board of Management redefined the current project. The specification features a pure electric drive with long-distance capability, connectivity and next-generation assistance systems as well as an emotional design.

Full statement: http://www.volkswagenag.com/content/vwcorp/info_center/en/news/2015/10/VW_Effizienz.html

Out of the NOx, particulates and sulphate ashes rises an electric phoenix?

Ola fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Oct 13, 2015

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Going to test drive a C-max Energi tonight. I'm excited!

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Cool man where are you gonna eat dinner? Are you bringing the kids? How do you think the traffic will be? You should bring a nutrigrain bar in case the traffic is bad and you get hungry.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

I like that car a lot. Is there a consensus on plug-in hybrids? Is the extra weight and loss of space worth the extra EV time?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ijustam posted:

I like that car a lot. Is there a consensus on plug-in hybrids? Is the extra weight and loss of space worth the extra EV time?
There's no consensus on anything. It depends on your usage.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The ideal plug-in hybrid use case is someone who can say "I would get by fine with a short range EV because my daily commute is only 15 miles, but I need longer range for kids' football on Thursdays and visiting the in-laws once a month".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

ijustam posted:

As Clarkson put it in the "can I afford it?" bit of his Fiesta review:

quote:

If you have 11,000 pounds to spend on a car then yes, you can. If you've only got 40p then no, you can't.
Which is to say that this depends entirely on how your needs align with the capabilities of the vehicles you're comparing.

For the C-Max you lose about 20% of your cargo space and gain 250 pounds in exchange for the ability to drive around 20 miles without burning a drop of gas. Whether that makes sense for your needs only you know. It's a C-Max, not a performance car, so you probably won't even notice the weight. If you feel you'll be filling it up close to maxed out regularly or if your regular driving needs per day significantly exceed 20 miles it's probably not worth it. If you'll rarely need the cargo capacity and have a short enough commute to stay in EV mode most of the time it might be worth it depending on the price difference.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Ola posted:

The ideal plug-in hybrid use case is someone who can say "I would get by fine with a short range EV because my daily commute is only 15 miles, but I need longer range for kids' football on Thursdays and visiting the in-laws once a month".

Hey look that's pretty much me. That's why I'm looking into a 2016 volt if they will ever arrive at any of my local dealers. My only fear is it coping with our fun New Hampshire winters.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Will the new Volt still use the engine to provide heat?

On a side note, I'm now having to devote a huge amount of my evangelization time to disproving all the idiots in town who bought a base model Leaf and tell everybody the range is ruined by the heater. Sorry, guys, that's why you buy the SV or SL! I even had one guy tell me he specifically didn't buy the SV since the heat pump wouldn't do any good. This guy is an engineer. Ugh.

For the record, my SV's heat pump makes enough heat down to about zero fahrenheit just fine. Below that it helps but needs supplementation by the resistance heater.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I want a diesel electric. Tempted to make one with an old TDI.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Make it a turbine-electric. :science:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Make it a turbine-electric. :science:

:science: Nuclear. Just kidding.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Just kidding.
...or are you?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

I'm really not, person with Fallout avatar.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CommieGIR posted:

I'm really not, person with Fallout avatar.

I also support nuclear vehicles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

I also support nuclear vehicles.

I demand Thorium powered vehicles for everyone.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Imagine what could have been.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MAD crash preventiondeterrent

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cakefool posted:

MAD crash preventiondeterrent

More like

"The driver was crushed when the containment module slammed through the bodywork and rolled over the drivers seat. Thankfully, no accidental release of radiation."

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Should I be hesitant to buy a 2013 Volt with 50k miles? The guy has had it for 2 years, 120 mile highway commute daily. Does it matter either way the majority of the miles were not on the battery?

This is the first premium with a back up cam to hit the used market within 50 miles of me.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Tesla just put out a new software update, this one enabling their highway autopilot feature:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/216079-teslas-upgraded-autopilot-ships-with-this-weeks-version-7-software-upgrade

If they keep expanding their Supercharger network, I'll have to consider eventually getting a Model 3. I don't suppose they're planning some sort of SUV/crossover variant of it like the Model X?

Imagine what could have been.

I've often wondered if there'd be any possible way to make that thing work (preferably without giving you cancer in places you never knew you had).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Cockmaster posted:

Tesla just put out a new software update, this one enabling their highway autopilot feature:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/216079-teslas-upgraded-autopilot-ships-with-this-weeks-version-7-software-upgrade

If they keep expanding their Supercharger network, I'll have to consider eventually getting a Model 3. I don't suppose they're planning some sort of SUV/crossover variant of it like the Model X?
They are planning on an suv version, actually.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
I can report that auto steering on the tesla is very creepy and nerve wracking (I'm sure my brain will come to trust it with enough use) but worked quite well for me on the freeway, especially with a car ahead of you. City streets in my area not so much but it really isn't supposed to be supporting that year.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

eeenmachine posted:

I can report that auto steering on the tesla is very creepy and nerve wracking (I'm sure my brain will come to trust it with enough use) but worked quite well for me on the freeway, especially with a car ahead of you. City streets in my area not so much but it really isn't supposed to be supporting that year.

Yeah, the way it immediately steers as soon as I give it control is jarring. I couldn't find a good spot to test self-park yet.

Loving the radar display though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cockmaster posted:

I've often wondered if there'd be any possible way to make that thing work (preferably without giving you cancer in places you never knew you had).

Not without making the thing weigh as much as a loaded dump truck, unless they use RTGs, but, you know....we kinda frown on people having Plutonium

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A nuclear reactor itself actually scales down pretty well. The problem is that radiation shielding doesn't.

It doesn't matter if your reactor is the size of a house or the size of a soda can, your beta/gamma rays have the same amount of energy and need the same amount of material to contain it.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 16, 2015

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A nuclear reactor itself actually scales down pretty well. The problem is that radiation shielding doesn't.

It doesn't matter if your reactor is the size of a house or the size of a soda can, your beta/gamma rays have the same amount of energy and need the same amount of material to contain it.

Just posting to second the praise for the profile pic and post content combo. It's like it's saying "ask me how I know" every time you say something bad about radiation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ola posted:

Just posting to second the praise for the profile pic and post content combo. It's like it's saying "ask me how I know" every time you say something bad about radiation.

Indeed, I love his responses.

The worlds smallest nuclear reactor, right now, is the Toshiba 4S, there are a couple other designs but almost none of them made it into the certification stage

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Ribsauce posted:

Should I be hesitant to buy a 2013 Volt with 50k miles? The guy has had it for 2 years, 120 mile highway commute daily. Does it matter either way the majority of the miles were not on the battery?

I've actually heard that high-mile mostly-engine Volts are the way to go. GM programmed the car to never let the battery fully drain so it should be in great shape. There were articles a few months back advising to buy the Volts with the lowest combined fuel mileage possible since it meant the battery is fresher.

Of course, I've also heard that in 10 years you'll want the opposite, since it'll be a high-mile car with a near-new engine. So either way you should be fine.

Edit: Also, that mileage number doesn't add up. I have 33k on my exactly 2 year old Leaf and I don't drive anywhere near 72 miles a day. More like half that.

Advent Horizon fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 17, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The battery-protection/longevity in the Volt is really awesome, and I don't think I'd have any issue buying one with high miles, even mostly on battery, if the range display is still showing 39-42mi at full charge.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Advent Horizon posted:

Of course, I've also heard that in 10 years you'll want the opposite, since it'll be a high-mile car with a near-new engine. So either way you should be fine.

Eh, who cares about having a high mileage gas motor? Those are pretty straight forward...or at least more available. I looked up the motor on Wikipedia and it hasn't been on other U.S. cars besides the turbo Cruze and Sonic so I wonder how it's reliability is, but I bet it's fine.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Advent Horizon posted:

Will the new Volt still use the engine to provide heat?

So, your question is a unintentionally but understandably a little misleading -- the old and new Volts have both a traditional engine supplied coolant loop heater and an electric heater. There is a setting that controls at which temperature the gas engine kicks on for supplemental heat; additionally the climate control system has a comfort/eco setting to control how much draw the electric heater pulls. You also have the option of preheating the car with the electric heater while it's plugged in.

So you have flexibility -- you can control to some degree (:haw:) how much of your range you want to spend for heat and/or if you want to heat via gasoline engine.

I would recommend a used Volt to anyone looking for a great commuter car. I loved mine, however, GM really shot their resale values in the foot by overproducing and over pricing the car, then monkeying with the pricing. They are also really safe -- I completely wadded mine up from all directions and walked away with nothing more than bruises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

This is a PR nightmare waiting to happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrwxEX8qOxA. Tesla is just a few idiots away from disaster.

Bad week for Elon Musk with the reliability issues and now this.

• Locked thread