Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Saros posted:

I've been looking at getting my first DSLR and I was wondering about the Canon 5d. For a full frame it is available for ridiculously cheap (~£250), is this just because it's older or what? Also does anyone know any places to get gear from in the UK? It seems a lot harder to import from Hong Kong to Europe like I used to do (for ridiculously low low prices).

I love the 5D and I think its a great way to start out on DSLR's as long as you understand that it doesn't really have any features other than "be a camera". No video, no wifi, no tilty screen, autofocus is pretty mediocre, etc. But its a super cheap way to get introduced to some fundamentals and do it with full frame. The other option, if you aren't set on Canon specifically, is the Nikon D700. I've been seeing them go locally for about the same as the 5D (~$500-650 USD), maybe a touch more with the grip, but its full frame with a much better AF system and faster continuous shooting speed. Both are pretty rad cameras for their current used prices and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I'm not set on anything really. At the moment I have a Canon S110 which I got for travel and to learn with about 2 years ago and now I want to upgrade to a DSLR/mirrorless but there is just way too much info and choice out there.

I'm after something a bit above entry level but I don't want to break the bank. Extras like wifi, tilty screen etc are completely optional.

That said I might go look at mirrorless models again because portability is important and I may have underestimated how big a 5d is.

[e]A Nikon D700 is like £400 for the body only.

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 15, 2015

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe check out a mirrorless camera with an integrated EVF like the Olympus OMD or the Fujifilm XT10. They both have a good balance between features and camera size since that's important to you.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Thanks for the suggestions the Olympus seems really good and is pretty reasonably priced used as well, the Fuji is hugely more expensive in the UK for some reason. Most of my DSLR time is with a Nikon D7000 my brother lent me and I wouldnt really want anything heavier and bulkier than that because I want to be able to do outdoorsy things like hike fjords etc with it.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
I have what's probably a dumb question that I have no experience with sooo I guess I'll put it in this thread.

I'm going to be sending my OM-D into Olympus to have them replace a flaky rear dial before the warranty is up. While I'm at it, I've got a lens with a tiny speck of something or another on one of the internal elements, right dead center. I can never seem to notice any problem in the images so I probably wouldn't bother with it if I wasn't already shipping the camera. Should I send it in as well, is this something they can open up and clean/fix? Should I even worry about it?

It looks something like this, thanks.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't worry about the dust. Even if you got it cleaned, you'll find another piece in there sooner or later. It won't affect the picture at all, especially at that size. Somebody posted a link a while back of a guy who had a large dead fly stuck in his lens and it didn't affect the pictures at all either.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

BANME.sh posted:

I wouldn't worry about the dust. Even if you got it cleaned, you'll find another piece in there sooner or later. It won't affect the picture at all, especially at that size. Somebody posted a link a while back of a guy who had a large dead fly stuck in his lens and it didn't affect the pictures at all either.

Was it this? http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/09/the-itsy-bitsy-spider

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Twenty-Seven posted:

I have what's probably a dumb question that I have no experience with sooo I guess I'll put it in this thread.

I'm going to be sending my OM-D into Olympus to have them replace a flaky rear dial before the warranty is up. While I'm at it, I've got a lens with a tiny speck of something or another on one of the internal elements, right dead center. I can never seem to notice any problem in the images so I probably wouldn't bother with it if I wasn't already shipping the camera. Should I send it in as well, is this something they can open up and clean/fix? Should I even worry about it?

It looks something like this, thanks.
I'd send it in just in case I'd like to sell it at some point

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Anyone have a D7100? Everything looks good about it, but would like a goonpionin about it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's not much to dislike about the 7100. If you need a fast buffer you might run into problems, but it was the best DX shooter on the market for a while, and only isn't now because of the 7200.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

http://petapixel.com/2015/06/10/we-found-a-fly-inside-a-weather-sealed-lens/

marjorie
May 4, 2014

First off, I'm not sure if these are appropriate questions for this thread or another. I'm new to photography, but I bought a mirrorless camera, but I'm asking about lenses to buy. I figured the newbie-ness trumped all, but let me know if I'd be better served by posting in the mirrorless or camera gear threads.

Onto the questions, I bought the Sony a6000 and this pancake lens as a starter (because I sort of valued size/weight over all). I'm trying to figure out what my second lens should be. I'm wavering between this wide angle lens and this uhhh, all-purpose? lens. I know next to nothing, and sort of arrived at those after sifting through an overwhelming amount of information and reviews.

As for my uses, for now, I'll mainly be using it on hikes (might be pretty overcast/dark in the forests - fall is starting in the US pacific northwest), for landscape shots of mountains/skies, and the occasional action shots of my sled dog sprinting in the park with his sled dog pals. Probably not a lot of wildlife photography, but maybe some? I also hope to do some short video capture.

Am I on track with those lens choices? Is the wide-angle pretty useless for a newbie, given that I bought the 20mm pancake lens? Should I be prioritizing a zoom lens instead?

Thanks for any help, and again, please let me know if I should post this in one of the other threads mentioned above.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Hey buddy, your links don't work.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Skizzzer posted:

Hey buddy, your links don't work.

Weird, they work for me. Anyone else having issues? I blame my phoneposting if anyone else confirms. I'll edit when I get home to show the full links.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Given your wide-open range of shooting you might be doing, a general-purpose zoom seems like a good idea. Get something that covers from "pretty wide" to "kinda tele" and go shoot *everything*. Then think about what you like to shoot the most (not necessarily what you shot the most, what you liked the most) and then come talk to us about lenses that fit that style or subject well.

I don't know anything about Sony mirrorless, but there's probably a "kit zoom" - sold as a package with several different camera bodies - that you can pick up for cheap. If you hate it or just decide you've grown out of it you can sell it for about what you paid, but it should teach you something first.

Edit: the links work for me. Are you dead set on a prime? Nothing you posted will be worth a drat for birds/wildlife - I don't care what your crop factor is, nothing shorter than 100 mm will show even half-tame birds as anything more than a fluffy blob.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 2, 2015

marjorie
May 4, 2014

ExecuDork posted:

Given your wide-open range of shooting you might be doing, a general-purpose zoom seems like a good idea. Get something that covers from "pretty wide" to "kinda tele" and go shoot *everything*. Then think about what you like to shoot the most (not necessarily what you shot the most, what you liked the most) and then come talk to us about lenses that fit that style or subject well.

I don't know anything about Sony mirrorless, but there's probably a "kit zoom" - sold as a package with several different camera bodies - that you can pick up for cheap. If you hate it or just decide you've grown out of it you can sell it for about what you paid, but it should teach you something first.

Edit: the links work for me. Are you dead set on a prime? Nothing you posted will be worth a drat for birds/wildlife - I don't care what your crop factor is, nothing shorter than 100 mm will show even half-tame birds as anything more than a fluffy blob.

Thanks for the input! I think that's a great idea about figuring out what I like to shoot. Like I mentioned, wildlife is pretty low on my list, but maybe I'll find that that changes once I get out there. Do you have any thoughts about the sigma 19mm being redundant in view of the 20mm pancake (for my future reference)?

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

marjorie posted:

First off, I'm not sure if these are appropriate questions for this thread or another. I'm new to photography, but I bought a mirrorless camera, but I'm asking about lenses to buy. I figured the newbie-ness trumped all, but let me know if I'd be better served by posting in the mirrorless or camera gear threads.

Onto the questions, I bought the Sony a6000 and this pancake lens as a starter (because I sort of valued size/weight over all). I'm trying to figure out what my second lens should be. I'm wavering between this wide angle lens and this uhhh, all-purpose? lens. I know next to nothing, and sort of arrived at those after sifting through an overwhelming amount of information and reviews.

As for my uses, for now, I'll mainly be using it on hikes (might be pretty overcast/dark in the forests - fall is starting in the US pacific northwest), for landscape shots of mountains/skies, and the occasional action shots of my sled dog sprinting in the park with his sled dog pals. Probably not a lot of wildlife photography, but maybe some? I also hope to do some short video capture.

Am I on track with those lens choices? Is the wide-angle pretty useless for a newbie, given that I bought the 20mm pancake lens? Should I be prioritizing a zoom lens instead?

Thanks for any help, and again, please let me know if I should post this in one of the other threads mentioned above.
My recommendation is to get the collapsing Sony power zoom kit lens that most APS-C E-Mount cameras are bundled with:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SELP1650-16-50mm-Power-Zoom/dp/B0096W1PG6/
But don't pay $350 for it. They can be routinely found unused for $150 from people who got them as part of a bundle. Check out buy/sell forums like http://www.dpreview.com/forums/1056 , http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10 , or your local Craigslist.

Optically, the distortion is probably the worst of any lens that I have. But that doesn't matter. Sony designed the lens to be used with software lens correction (and in fact, won't let you turn it off if you are shooting JPEGs with this lens), and the software correction is really excellent. What matters is that the lens collapses to make such a compact unit with the camera (a NEX-5T in my case) that when I head out to the trails, I can just shove it in a compact case like a Lowepro Portland 30 ( http://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-LP36516-0WW-Portland-30-Camera/dp/B00DEH62IA/ ) and toss it in my bag. I don't need to carry a dedicated camera bag - I just have a package that's half the size of a Nalgene bottle and gives me the ability to shoot APS-C images without needing to expose the insides of the camera to attach a lens. I probably shoot more outdoor photos with the NEX-5T and kit lens than any other camera. Really, the only non dedicated-photography trips I take anything else on anymore are hikes on really wet days where I need a weather-sealed body and lens.

One note about the Sigma E-mount lenses: their linear focusing motors make a clicking/grinding noise when continuously focusing during video that is barely perceptible to you when shooting, but will be readily audible on the video. Also of course, they lack the image stabilization that the Sony zooms have.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011

marjorie posted:

Weird, they work for me. Anyone else having issues? I blame my phoneposting if anyone else confirms. I'll edit when I get home to show the full links.

Huh, I guess it's just me then. :confused:

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Skizzzer posted:

Huh, I guess it's just me then. :confused:

Very strange. Instead of pasting super long links, I can identify them for you. The pancake lens that I grabbed for its form factor is the Sony SEL-20F28, the wide angle is the Sigma 19mm f2.8 DN lens , and the general purpose (/video? I can't remember) is the Sony SEL35F18 .

Also, as mentioned above, I think it's a good idea to figure out what I like to photograph based on actually photographing stuff, but as of now, I think my primary uses will be, in order of preference:

1)broad landscape shots, including sunsets (I have a great view of wide open skies and mountains at home and I tend to prefer hikes with 360ish view peaks)

2) action shots of my dog at the park

3) forest-y shots - I really dig vibrant colours, like the deep evergreens, or the contrast between yellow leaves and wet bark after the rain

4) lastly, video. Not for any professional purposes, just me goofing around, or using it at family get togethers or something.

Btw, thanks for all of the great info and advice, Nomenclature. I'll definitely consider your recommendations for my next lens and my case purchase.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 2, 2015

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Honestly, the 16-50mm kit lens goes wider than the 20mm pancake and will produce images that are just as good. Its a great landscape lens. It has a slower maximum aperture at the wide end, but with OSS and mostly static subjects (landscapes) it shouldn't matter too much. You'll find that the 16-50mm range is pretty versatile. It's an underrated lens, imo.

(I personally also own the Sigma 19mm. It's my dedicated landscape lens and does produce images that are sharper than the 16-50 in the corners, but isn't such a huge improvement that I don't still sometimes wonder if it was a worthwhile purchase - even though it was only $150)

So my advice would be to ditch the 20mm, or at least not add the 19mm. And pick up the 16-50. After that, I'd suggest a 35 or 50mm prime.. If you find that you can't get low-light action shots of your dog with the kit, or want better background defocus for close subjects.

The 16-50 is a good lens for video, too.

You could basically roll up all your stated photography needs into a single lens, the 18-105mm f4 G. It's great for landscapes, environmental scenes, (dog) portraits, and video. (I personally find that 55-100mm telephoto range is really great to have for certain landscape applications). The only requirement is fails at is being small and light :v: But at $600 its a pretty good value for what you get, as far as I can tell.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Honestly, the 16-50mm kit lens goes wider than the 20mm pancake and will produce images that are just as good. Its a great landscape lens. It has a slower maximum aperture at the wide end, but with OSS and mostly static subjects (landscapes) it shouldn't matter too much. You'll find that the 16-50mm range is pretty versatile. It's an underrated lens, imo.

(I personally also own the Sigma 19mm. It's my dedicated landscape lens and does produce images that are sharper than the 16-50 in the corners, but isn't such a huge improvement that I don't still sometimes wonder if it was a worthwhile purchase - even though it was only $150)

So my advice would be to ditch the 20mm, or at least not add the 19mm. And pick up the 16-50. After that, I'd suggest a 35 or 50mm prime.. If you find that you can't get low-light action shots of your dog with the kit, or want better background defocus for close subjects.

The 16-50 is a good lens for video, too.

You could basically roll up all your stated photography needs into a single lens, the 18-105mm f4 G. It's great for landscapes, environmental scenes, (dog) portraits, and video. (I personally find that 55-100mm telephoto range is really great to have for certain landscape applications). The only requirement is fails at is being small and light :v: But at $600 its a pretty good value for what you get, as far as I can tell.

Thanks for the suggestions! So based on your input and those from the others, I'm thinking that maybe I should return the pancake lens and get the 16-50 kit lens to replace it. It looks like a difference of 0.39 inches between the 20mm and the 16-50mm (when the 16-50 is collapsed), but if the 16-50 lens can still fit in that small case that Nomenclature mentioned, then it should still fit my needs for a compact setup. Basically, I'd like something that I could carry with me everyday, since I often find myself admiring the sky or the view of the city from my train ride in, so being able to hop off, snap a few shots, then hop on the next train is appealing to me. So if I'm going to be carrying a case anyway, and the 16-50 fits and takes similar quality shots, I might as well go with it, and add some versatility in comparison to the 20mm fixed lens.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, you'll have a lot more flexibility with the zoom. Basically everything that's 'better' or gives you other focal lengths is larger and heavier. It's a great carry-with-you, everyday lens. I take it along with me on longer hikes and couldn't really ask for anything more at that size. The portability is great.

Then if you end up still wanted a prime lens in the future, you can go for something outside of the 16-50mm range, which is a much more efficient use of a second lens, as opposed to duplicating a focal length of the zoom. (With the possible exception of a wide aperture 30 - 50mm prime, if you want to do portraits... that's an application that neither the 20mm pancake nor the kit zoom really excel at.)

Nomenclature
Jul 20, 2006

You can outrun the IRS, but you can't outrun your sister's love.

marjorie posted:

Thanks for the suggestions! So based on your input and those from the others, I'm thinking that maybe I should return the pancake lens and get the 16-50 kit lens to replace it. It looks like a difference of 0.39 inches between the 20mm and the 16-50mm (when the 16-50 is collapsed), but if the 16-50 lens can still fit in that small case that Nomenclature mentioned, then it should still fit my needs for a compact setup. Basically, I'd like something that I could carry with me everyday, since I often find myself admiring the sky or the view of the city from my train ride in, so being able to hop off, snap a few shots, then hop on the next train is appealing to me. So if I'm going to be carrying a case anyway, and the 16-50 fits and takes similar quality shots, I might as well go with it, and add some versatility in comparison to the 20mm fixed lens.
Here are a few images for size comparison vs. my weatherproof setup (Sony A77ii and DT 16-50 f/2.8 SSM):

The whole case vs. the A-mount zoom alone:

Now with the A77ii added on:

A couple more comparisons:

And finally, the difference in space the bags take up!:

Nomenclature fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Oct 6, 2015

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
I'm interested in learning photography but I'm not sure whether to go mirrorless or not, if not what to get. I've mainly been looking at DSLRs, and liked the feel of both the Nikon and Pentax bodies I held more than anything else, but between the two I find them pretty equal. The reason I'm hesitant about getting a mirrorless camera is that I'll probably be doing a fair amount of low light / nighttime shots (I tend to be busier during the day) and have heard that mirrorless viewfinders wreck your night vision or "burn your eyes", plus I'm not sure which is better value. The portability and discreteness are some good pros, but not dealbreakers.

I'll likely be mainly shooting landscape, architecture and maybe some street (where the mirrorless would be handy), but also all the other bullshit that people photograph to a lesser extent - friends, cats, plants, the sky, inanimate objects ... basically I don't want to be too limited, I'm thinking of getting a wide angle for landscape etc, and a good all round lens for the rest.
I don't want anything too much bigger than a pentax k5.

My max budget is £1000, not opposed to used gear (although low light performance is a big +). Any suggestions?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I've got a K-5 and I love it.

That said, newer sensors do better at low-light / high-ISO, and while my K-5 goes to ISO-51200 the noise is pretty obnoxious. Personally I try to keep it under 1600 if I'm worried about noise, which means I have to throw away my noise concerns if I'm shooting, say, a music performance.

This was shot at ISO 2000 and you can see the noise. This is after my clumsy post-processing in LR 3.6 which smoothed it out a little. Stage lights add a few layers of complexity so I believe other people could get higher quality out of my raw image but I'm happy enough with this.
The Fjords at Ness Creek 2015 6 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

Good post-processing software - and the skill to use it - can help a great deal with high-ISO noise.

Pentax-mount lenses are available at any budget, pay more get more. A K-5 kit (one or two zooms) plus a wide-aperture prime (I would suggest something from the film era to save money, a personal favourite of mine is my SMC-F-28mm/2.8 that I picked up for $120 CDN a few years ago) should be easily available for your budget.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
Thanks for the advice, a big draw I have to pentax is their weather sealing. I like boats but I probably wouldn't take a nikon on one in case of saltwater spray.

Strangely on amazon the k5 ii body is the same price as the k5 body (new) or I can get a used k5ii for £400 leaving £600 for a couple of lenses (+ memory card etc) or a ks2 for £500 including the kit lens. Both should perform better than the k5 at high iso but I'm not sure which is better value overall as the ks2 is 3 years newer but is a lower end model. I don't know how fast things improve in the camera market but I assume some things would be better just because of improvements in manufacturing? Features like wifi are not important for me as much as performance in taking pictures.

Of course with used pentax that big weather sealing advantage is also a disadvantage as the slightest off-smell will make me suspicious of the previous owner taking (golden) showers with it to share with the internet. If that's even at the very back of my mind I'm not going to take as many photos.

Maybe I'm thinking about low light performance too much, I'll be shooting during the coming months in British winter gloom / dusk more than actual night darkness but I am a sucker for the way the city looks during the night so I do want the photos I take then to look as good as possible with as little noise. On the other hand you can see the noise on that photo but as you say there are stage lights in shot, I'm not sure how much noise would be on a comparative shot of a road or something.

And thanks for the lens suggestions, I think I'll decide on the body, get all the extras like sd cards, strap, etc in basket and then spend as much of the rest of the budget as I can on the best possible lens(es). A wide aperture prime if I get a zoom kit lens, if I go body only probably a 50mm prime (unless a zoom is more versatile without sacrificing much quality) as well as wide.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Crack posted:

Thanks for the advice, a big draw I have to pentax is their weather sealing. I like boats but I probably wouldn't take a nikon on one in case of saltwater spray.

Strangely on amazon the k5 ii body is the same price as the k5 body (new) or I can get a used k5ii for £400 leaving £600 for a couple of lenses (+ memory card etc) or a ks2 for £500 including the kit lens. Both should perform better than the k5 at high iso but I'm not sure which is better value overall as the ks2 is 3 years newer but is a lower end model. I don't know how fast things improve in the camera market but I assume some things would be better just because of improvements in manufacturing? Features like wifi are not important for me as much as performance in taking pictures.

Of course with used pentax that big weather sealing advantage is also a disadvantage as the slightest off-smell will make me suspicious of the previous owner taking (golden) showers with it to share with the internet. If that's even at the very back of my mind I'm not going to take as many photos.

Maybe I'm thinking about low light performance too much, I'll be shooting during the coming months in British winter gloom / dusk more than actual night darkness but I am a sucker for the way the city looks during the night so I do want the photos I take then to look as good as possible with as little noise. On the other hand you can see the noise on that photo but as you say there are stage lights in shot, I'm not sure how much noise would be on a comparative shot of a road or something.

And thanks for the lens suggestions, I think I'll decide on the body, get all the extras like sd cards, strap, etc in basket and then spend as much of the rest of the budget as I can on the best possible lens(es). A wide aperture prime if I get a zoom kit lens, if I go body only probably a 50mm prime (unless a zoom is more versatile without sacrificing much quality) as well as wide.

One thing I'd recommend is look into one of the kits with the 18-135mm. I have one of the 18-135mm lenses, it's got: quiet autofocus, great focal range with reasonably good optics, and has weathersealing. I'd also look into B&H and adorama since they are right now running sales on new pentax equipment. I don't know what the shipping/pricing is like though.

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

HolyDukeNukem posted:

One thing I'd recommend is look into one of the kits with the 18-135mm. I have one of the 18-135mm lenses, it's got: quiet autofocus, great focal range with reasonably good optics, and has weathersealing. I'd also look into B&H and adorama since they are right now running sales on new pentax equipment. I don't know what the shipping/pricing is like though.

I used a K5-IIs and an 18-135 combo when I first got my camera and it was a fantastic combo. That, plus the cheap 35mm and 50mm primes made for a nice little kit that could do a lot. I took some shots of a friends band using the K5-IIs and the 18-135, here are a couple to show you what the combo can do. Shot at mostly iso 3200-6400 to get proper shutter speeds

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Thorpe posted:

I used a K5-IIs and an 18-135 combo when I first got my camera and it was a fantastic combo. That, plus the cheap 35mm and 50mm primes made for a nice little kit that could do a lot. I took some shots of a friends band using the K5-IIs and the 18-135, here are a couple to show you what the combo can do. Shot at mostly iso 3200-6400 to get proper shutter speeds

It is a fantastic lens, though for some reason mine has a red cast to all the pictures. It's really easy to fix in lightroom, but kinda annoying.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Nikon lens mounting question: I am considering buying a new D750, or potentially used D700 if I can find a good deal. I have a number of older lenses for a pair of Nikon film cameras. One camera is my dad's old Nikkormat, and the other is an old friend's FM10. My understanding is that both of these film cameras use the F-mount/AI mount lenses, which means the lenses should be compatible with the D750, albeit without autofocus, camera-controlled aperture adjustment, and possibly metering?

Here are the lenses I have:

From the FM10:
-Nikon 35-70mm f/3.5-48, My understanding is that this is the kit lens and a quick google has Ken Rockwell listing it as one of Nikon's 10 worst :v: )
-Vivitar 135mm f/2.8, According to the serial number, this is a Komine manufactured lens. Not sure about the quality?

From the Nikkormat:
-Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 Auto Wide-Angle
-Vivitar 75-205mm f/3.8 Macro Focusing zoom
-Nikkor-S 50mm f/2.0

Are any of these NOT AI mount lenses, and would they be mountable on a D750/700? Are any of them (aside from the Nikon 35-70mm) notably bad or good?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
The lenses for the Nikkormat are pre-AI and won't mount on a D700. None of those lenses are particularly good.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
FWIW you can meter with AI and AI-s lenses on higher end Nikon bodies just fine. While not required, you can even set up in the options a bunch of "non CPU lens" configurations including the focal range and largest f-stop for each lens. You swap the in-camera setting when you change lenses. This way the proper metadata gets saved to your photos.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
I wasn't expecting any of them to be super-nice lenses, but it's a bummer I can't easily use the lenses for the Nikkormat without converting them. At least the 135mm is usable. With this being the case and having at least a bit of a telephoto lens, would going for a 24-70mm lens (Tamron?), and maybe a faster 50mm prime round out a decent set of starter lenses if I stepped up to a D750 or 700? Currently I have an old-as-poo poo Canon EOS-10D, and have a 50mm prime and 28-75mm, so that would at least give me the same range in a newer camera, plus the 135mm as a bonus. I'm generally shooting landscapes, portraits, and some event/sports-type stuff.

Any thoughts on taking the time to look for a used D700 rather than going with a new D750? Based on prices I've seen you can find decent D700s in the $1,000 range. The new D750 is around $1900 or so. Part of me wants to take that extra ~$900 and put it into other gear, but the other part of me wouldn't mind having a new camera, with better resolution, better autofocus, video capability, etc. Assuming I want to keep this for a long time, I'm leaning towards going "newer, better" considering I already have the old Canon as an emergency fallback.

EDIT: Basically, I know it's personal choice but I'm looking for someone to say "No you idiot, $900 can get you X instead!". I already have some lamps, stands, a couple reflectors, and an older off-camera flash. Generally I'm doing most of my stuff outdoors at the moment.

LogisticEarth fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 13, 2015

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

LogisticEarth posted:

I wasn't expecting any of them to be super-nice lenses, but it's a bummer I can't easily use the lenses for the Nikkormat without converting them. At least the 135mm is usable. With this being the case and having at least a bit of a telephoto lens, would going for a 24-70mm lens (Tamron?), and maybe a faster 50mm prime round out a decent set of starter lenses if I stepped up to a D750 or 700? Currently I have an old-as-poo poo Canon EOS-10D, and have a 50mm prime and 28-75mm, so that would at least give me the same range in a newer camera, plus the 135mm as a bonus. I'm generally shooting landscapes, portraits, and some event/sports-type stuff.

Any thoughts on taking the time to look for a used D700 rather than going with a new D750? Based on prices I've seen you can find decent D700s in the $1,000 range. The new D750 is around $1900 or so. Part of me wants to take that extra ~$900 and put it into other gear, but the other part of me wouldn't mind having a new camera, with better resolution, better autofocus, video capability, etc. Assuming I want to keep this for a long time, I'm leaning towards going "newer, better" considering I already have the old Canon as an emergency fallback.

EDIT: Basically, I know it's personal choice but I'm looking for someone to say "No you idiot, $900 can get you X instead!". I already have some lamps, stands, a couple reflectors, and an older off-camera flash. Generally I'm doing most of my stuff outdoors at the moment.

D700 is a fantastic camera but I don't think it's what you want to go with if you don't want to be tempted to upgrade for a long time.

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.
D700 is a great professional grade camera, but the technological leap Nikon made going from that to the D750 is really significant.

My personal opinion would be to go with a used D600/610 if you want to save money.

Crack
Apr 10, 2009
9Again I really appreciate the advice. I had my finger on the Pentax for a long while but I went back and felt the weight of a fullon dslr and held some mirrorless cameras. I searched around and found a fuji x-e2 with "XF18-55mmF2.8-4 R LM OIS" at a steal, cheaper than the dslrs and I think the kit lens for fuji's are held in high regard. So I snapped that one up (a few 100 pounds off because they slightly damaged the box it came in but it's through amazon, not 3rd party and they have great return policies) so if the camera is anyway damaged I can get a refund. Fuji seem to like patches on the firmware a lot which is great too.

Is there a way to weatherproof a bit or do you just roll in plastic (-lense)?

I went for mirrorless in the end because I see myself going out much more with a lighter camera and the more you shoot the better you get, right (as long as you analyze what is wrong with each picture and associate where you rent wrong with aperture, iso, shutter speed)

I have the exposure book, read some chapters, but is there a composition basics book/video/...any media as I feel it's not up to snuff. Or do I devour others photos and imitate?

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Thoughts on the price of this T5i?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/mississauga-peel-region/canon-t5i-extras/1110160027?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Still trying to figure out what I should go for in a DSLR. Some of the things I'd like to shoot are:
Small venue concerts
Landscape
Full body portaits
Motorsports
1080p video of the above.
Astrophotography (through a telescope)

It seems most of the above will ultimately be affected by the lens more than the body. I'm also tempted by the small body with pancake lens, ultra portable setups, making it easier to actually have the camera on me. Somewhat leaning towards Sony/Pentax for in body stabilization (I'm not known for my steady hands).

I did notice Amazon.ca has Pentax K-50 kits new for just under 500, which is roughly the budget I'm looking at.

A couple more that might be a good deal?
Sony A57
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...gationFlag=true
Pentax K-30
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/hamilton/pentax-k30-18-55-wr-lens-55-200mm-wr-lens/1105904065?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Golluk fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 15, 2015

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Crack posted:

Or do I devour others photos and imitate?

Its a lot of this, sort of like learning to play the guitar. Imitate the photographers you like until you figure out why what they are doing works. I don't think there is a way to effectively read about how to make photographs, past the technical aspects.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
"You start out imitating your heroes, and the way you gently caress up becomes your style"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Seems to be a bit of an older camera, but any thoughts on this for a general use, first time DSLR? Seems to be the same price as a used T5i.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/hamilton/canon-7d-body-50-1-8-lens/1110103228?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Or is this a steal at 160 (possibly literally)? Rebel XS 1000D
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camco...gationFlag=true

Golluk fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 18, 2015

• Locked thread