Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
very slowly. which is how mac users like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
altho tbh the skylake igp is probably more than enough to do it just fine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
oh wait its not skylake. hrm...,

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

idk everything I see coming out now has usb c

thats because youre a not a nontechnical woman or child and pay attention to things

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hey just remember that's the 21.5 inch only, the 27-inch uses dedicated AMDs all the loving way

Of course 4 GB VRAM is gonna help some programs..

BTW ho ho ho over new Apple perRIPherals... Gonna love the service calls on keyboards, mice, and trackpads with no user-replaceable batteries.

Tragic Keyboard - $99

Tragic TrackPad - $129

Tragic Mouse 2 - $79

no user replaceable batteries on any of them, plus you gotta charge 'em with a lightning cable like your stevePhone like a little bitch

Of course no new extra USB ports to charge all this crap

Oh good a use for the two dozen or so iPhoney chargers people get to accumulate after upgrading five zillion times

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Hey just remember that's the 21.5 inch only, the 27-inch uses dedicated AMDs all the loving way

BTW ho ho ho over new Apple perRIPherals... Gonna love the service calls on keyboards, mice, and trackpads with no user-replaceable batteries.

Tragic Keyboard - $99

Tragic TrackPad - $129

Tragic Mouse 2 - $79

no user replaceable batteries on any of them, plus you gotta charge 'em with a lightning cable like your stevePhone like a little bitch

Oh good a use for the two dozen or so iPhoney chargers people get to accumulate after upgrading five zillion times

hmm shut the gently caress up

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
ban cremnob :toot:

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

when did apple keyboards stop having usb hubs built into them

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

cmon man every time apple seals something up away from the users it never works out very well

it's like going back to the bad old days where you needed a special tool to open your original Macs to add RAM

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 13, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Ludwig van Halen posted:

the little bluetooth only ones never had them so that's when

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Tragic Keyboard - $99

Tragic TrackPad - $129

Tragic Mouse 2 - $79

:qqsay:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

lol

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
skylake but old ports? smh

ram not user accessible? smdh

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
as a professional computerman with extensive computer hardware experience,

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the angrier nerds are about an apple product, the better it does. tim's done it again

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's never anger

just disappointment

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

broken clock opsec posted:

how do you run a 4k display without a dedicated graphics option

by not ousing windows

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
Late in the process, everything seemed to be going fine. The internal lithium battery was custom-engineered to fit the cavity. The redesigned antenna — necessary to deal with the potential interference from an internal battery — was working well.

But one thing was totally unacceptable.

The mouse didn’t sound right.

That’s what Apple engineering leaders Kate Bergeron and John Ternus told me recently, when I became the first reporter to venture into the Input Design Lab.

woaw

Otaku Alpha Male
Nov 11, 2012

bitches get ~tsundere~ when I pull out my katana
24gb ssd is this reality

its really about the display though. now u can punch in code and browse a green on black stylesheet in 4k

congratulations

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

no usb-c means no thunderbolt 3 means no displayport 1.3 means no target display mode means apple is doomed

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

$1,899 for a machine with a 5400 rpm hard drive, lol.

:canada:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Triglav posted:

no usb-c means no thunderbolt 3 means no displayport 1.3 means no target display mode means apple is doomed
I'd have bought an imac forever ago if they could do target display mode sorry apple my work makes me use a thinkpad and I'm not keeping an extra monitor around just for the 2x a month I work remote

edit: lol @ loser commonwealth currency whinging

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

dsyp buddy

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the 24gb ssd is part of the fusion drive. your working set is not that big, you'll be on the ssd all the time. besides, get the big fusion drive, I think it has a larger ssd

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ya the company bought us a bunch of "new" 2014 iMacs last year with 5400rpm hard drives and builds take 8x as long on those things vs my MBPR. and you can't upgrade them because the case is sealed shut with glue.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

The Management posted:

the 24gb ssd is part of the fusion drive. your working set is not that big, you'll be on the ssd all the time. besides, get the big fusion drive, I think it has a larger ssd

is it a hybrid drive?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

THC posted:

ya the company bought us a bunch of "new" 2014 iMacs last year with 5400rpm hard drives and builds take 8x as long on those things vs my MBPR. and you can't upgrade them because the case is sealed shut with glue.

dont you have a heat gun somewhere in the office?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dodoman posted:

is it a hybrid drive?

No.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

pretty sure windows people call fusion drives "hybrids"

but most hybrids arent that great since the ssds are like 8gb. the computer turns on faster but everything's still slow

now to drive down costs apple's replacing the 128gb SSD in the 1TB fusion with a 24gb SSD

and here i figured everything would come with a 256gb SSD by default by now but no

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

the magic keyboard is amazing

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
yeah it was lol when Windows did it with small ssd and it made them run terribly with a bunch of problems

and lol apple is doing it now too

maybe 10.11 has some thing to optimize them for smaller fusion drive but if not then lol forever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

what

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

triple sulk posted:

Yeah drugs are p.good

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

its cool and good and better than heavy rear end blue switches

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Dodoman posted:

is it a hybrid drive?

it's technically a jbod with active migration at the file system layer. it's not a cache since there is only one copy of anything at a given time and the SSD is considered permanent storage.

a hybrid drive is an SSD cache with writeback to the spinning disk.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

triple sulk posted:

its cool and good and better than heavy rear end blue switches

heavy lmao get off te grass

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
i don't think Apple really gives a poo poo about developers guys

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the best thing about the new imac is that it's actually 4k

not loving stupid uhd, but real, genuine 4k.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

triple sulk posted:

usb c is useless for the general public for another 2-3 years minimum and by that point you would replace your computer. and if you wouldn't replace it by that point, then you aren't the kind of person who needs usb c

much like thunderbolt

Binary Badger posted:

you are really in the minority mourning the loss of AA batteries. people have been railing against the replaceable batteries in these for ages, this is a god send. i mean you just plug the bloody thing in to the computer in front of you and it works how is that less convenient than recharging eneloops.

Ludwig van Halen posted:

the wired keyboards will have it. although this keyboard can technically be used wired so it really should have it, but in a time when devices ship with 1 port i guess they are doing the needful.

Triglav posted:

the only device with target display mode was like the 2011 27" iMac but it only did 720p (out of 1440p) anyway. totally agree though, they need to bring it back.

triple sulk posted:

i really want an excuse to buy this. i'm curious if it can plug-and-play with Mac and Windows without needing to pair repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

idk about windows but nerds say you can keep it wired to your mac and it'll do its normal keyboard thing as long as youre running 10.11

• Locked thread