Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Gyshall posted:

Yup, I spent too much time digging through the ESP for LTODB and ended up going :stonk: after seeing how much it actually added and changed. I love the relic hunter aspect of it, hate the feature creep aspect of it.

That sucks, I'm going to have to reconsider it for my next playthrough. I also liked the idea of relic hunting, and having a "museum" to show off your assorted crap, but I didn't know just how overextensive it had gotten (although the fact that it seems to require three separate downloads all adding up to like 3 GB or some poo poo should have been a clue I guess...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Gyshall posted:

MO support for Oblivion seems dodgy at best. I've been using Bash, which is pretty much tried and true.

A bummer, to be sure, since MO is just a superior way of handling conflicts and the data directory, but it isn't the end of the world.

It might still be worth it for the profile feature. I never tried any of the big overhauls, and it would be nice to be able to quickly switch between them if I want to. I can live with having to launch OBMM through MO and all that, but the problem with OBSE plugins might turn out to be annoying.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Praetorian Mage posted:

It might still be worth it for the profile feature. I never tried any of the big overhauls, and it would be nice to be able to quickly switch between them if I want to. I can live with having to launch OBMM through MO and all that, but the problem with OBSE plugins might turn out to be annoying.

Yeah, it is. All the best mods require OBSE. I couldn't get MO to work right with it and my Steam or disc copy of Oblivion.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Uhg, they're doing an English dub for Enderal. I'm guessing they'll give you an option of which to pick, I just hope it doesn't hold up the English release.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Praetorian Mage posted:

Well, you could use Transmogrification to copy the Archmage robe enchantment to whatever you want. If you want a "reduce all spell costs" enchantment that will scale with your skill, that's a bit trickier. There are a few mods that change Extra Effect to add more than two enchantments. I suppose you could use that to give a robe 5 enchantments to reduce all spell costs.

Thanks, that seems to have worked. It still lists all the spell cost reductions seperatly but thats a minor thing.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Praetorian Mage posted:

Well, you could use Transmogrification to copy the Archmage robe enchantment to whatever you want.

When you say, "Use Transmogrification..." what are you referring to? I've been looking at mods that do the transmog thing and they all seem a bit wonky.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

When you say, "Use Transmogrification..." what are you referring to? I've been looking at mods that do the transmog thing and they all seem a bit wonky.

I'm referring to this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33902/

Edit:

Gyshall posted:

Yeah, it is. All the best mods require OBSE. I couldn't get MO to work right with it and my Steam or disc copy of Oblivion.

I don't think there's a problem if a mod just uses OBSE. The problem is with mods that are just plugins for OBSE, like Enhanced Camera or Blockhead(i.e. things that go in the OBSE/Plugins folder). Those are less common than mods that simply require OBSE.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 12, 2015

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Rhix posted:

Do any of the follower tweak mods (or any mod at all) enable you to equip your steward or housecarl with better armor than what they come with? I'd like to beef up security at Lakeview Manor, but my steward/hc forget all about the nice ebony armor I give them once I ask them to stop following me.
EFF will do that. Bring up the radial menu for the housecarl, select Equipment (not Inventory) and give them the armor you want them to wear, and take away any armor you don't.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Praetorian Mage posted:

I'm referring to this mod: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/33902/

Edit:

I don't think there's a problem if a mod just uses OBSE. The problem is with mods that are just plugins for OBSE, like Enhanced Camera or Blockhead(i.e. things that go in the OBSE/Plugins folder). Those are less common than mods that simply require OBSE.

I had trouble even getting OBSE to launch through MO. Oddly enough, with a no-cd crack it works fine.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

It does? I don't think I would mind that (in as much as I could ignore it) if Moonpath didn't alter the architecture of the inn in Falkreath, which is a compatibility headache. Like if there were some patch that just made it so the relevant quest-giving NPCs were hanging out at the inn, sandboxing like any other NPC, that's be awesome.

Legacy moves it outdoors. I use some city mods and it doesn't appear to conflict with them. The plot NPCs do just sandbox indoors.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cool, good to know.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Iretep posted:

Is there any way to make similar clothes to the archmage robes? As in the enchantments, not the clothes themselves. The enchantment mods I found dont seem to allow all spell cost reduction enchantment like the archmage robe has.

I actually made a set of robes for myself with the archmage properties. Just cloned the armor in the creation kit, changed the mesh and texture paths, and dragged and dropped it into the game world for convenient retrieval. I uploaded the mod, if you're interested. Partly it was just because I wanted a specific look for my character, and partly it was because playing a pure magic user was kinda brutal at low levels with no perks, and kinda overpowered at high levels, and I wanted some gear that would offset the grind at the start without totally unbalancing the late game. The archmage robes are definitely good, but comparable to stuff you find just lying around in the late game.

Mzbundifund posted:

I am so glad this is getting actual work done on it instead of being a beautiful forum pipedream.

I had to do it! My last mod kinda burned me out, but I was so inspired by the fat idiot son concept, it got me back in the game. Creating the intro quest is going to be such a pain in the rear end, but it'll be worth it if it all works out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

After you retrieve him and he's following you around, is this going to be an actual quest with a resolution or just a continual penance/burden? I mean if the later that's fine, but I liked the idea someone said where you could go through a bunch of effort and turn him into not-a-piece-of-poo poo and perhaps somewhat useful even.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I had no real plans for him to improve. I think of it more as something that adds another challenging element to the game.

I am going to make him level with the player, but he'll be stuck at half your level or less (haven't really settled on a number). He is technically an ally of yours and will help you in fights. You won't be able to give him new gear, but he is armed with a steel sword and can hurt enemies. The plan is for him to be essential, but to have very little health and get ragdolled whenever he's hit, so he can dish it out but not take it. If you or another follower can keep a bad guy's attention, he can flank them and get a few hits in. So he's not 100% detrimental, but he adds an element of chaos.

My only planned quest is the one where you first pick him up. When it completes he will be set to follow you forever. I think it's funnier if there's no way to get rid of him. Kind of like a real kid!

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I had a weird bug last night. I had Inigo with me in Raven Rock Mine/Bloodskal Barrow and at some point he turned invisible. You could hear him, you could even initiate dialogue with him, but you couldn't see him. This persisted even when transitioning between cells in the dungeon. However, when I left the dungeon and went outside, Inigo immediately went back to normal. Very strange.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I have an odd problem.

Somehow, when I cast lightning spells on enemies, when they die they are on fire.
Normally this would not be much of a concern.
But I am using Fire & Ice Overhaul, so the fire causes damage to me. And set an entire hillside on fire after fighting some bandits.

The only magic mods I'm using are Apocalypse, More Apocalypse, and SPERG as my perk overhaul.

Unless it's something OBIS does.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

IAmTheRad posted:

I have an odd problem.

Somehow, when I cast lightning spells on enemies, when they die they are on fire.
Normally this would not be much of a concern.
But I am using Fire & Ice Overhaul, so the fire causes damage to me. And set an entire hillside on fire after fighting some bandits.

The only magic mods I'm using are Apocalypse, More Apocalypse, and SPERG as my perk overhaul.

Unless it's something OBIS does.

Are you using that SPERG+Ordinator combining mod you posted about? Because I know Ordinator has a perk that makes lightning spells set enemies on fire under certain circumstances. Maybe you mistakenly got that perk somehow.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

so i'm using sperg and for some reason bladesman actually lowers my attack speed to 30%. is there anyway to fix this other than never taking it?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Roobanguy posted:

so i'm using sperg and for some reason bladesman actually lowers my attack speed to 30%. is there anyway to fix this other than never taking it?

open up console, type in "help weapon speed fix," grab the SpellID, then type in player.addspell [spellID]

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Scyantific posted:

open up console, type in "help weapon speed fix," grab the SpellID, then type in player.addspell [spellID]

thank you.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

GunnerJ posted:

After you retrieve him and he's following you around, is this going to be an actual quest with a resolution or just a continual penance/burden? I mean if the later that's fine, but I liked the idea someone said where you could go through a bunch of effort and turn him into not-a-piece-of-poo poo and perhaps somewhat useful even.

A more appropriate ending would be you can spend countless hours and effort to turn him into not-a-piece-of-poo poo and at the end you are instead rewarded by him permanently moving into your house and doing whatever is the medieval equivalent of blogging about how Azura is his godspouse.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, I'm still getting the weird rear end lighting into fire bug. It's not a huge issue after you get a few levels down your belt, as you can actually tank the damage from it.

When I was using OBIS bandit patrols, the game would CTD going into Whiterun. Removing the mod, I didn't get the CTDs. A bad mod, but OBIS itself is great if you hate fighting the exact same bandits every single time.

No clue if I fixed my other crashing issue, since I did 2 hours without any hitches at all with the new mod set I decided to grab.

And I'm just using regular SPERG with CACO, not Ordinator+SPERG. If it had a CACO patch for it, I'd probably use Ordinator+SPERG.

Or use Ordinator or something after this current playthrough. At least Inigo and Vilja speak to each other.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
CCOR is making it so that the Dragon Smithing perk doesn't automatically give me both dragonplate and dragonscale options - I only get the one corresponding to the "side" that I've gone up the Smithing perk tree on. Is it supposed to do this? I don't see any mention of it on the Nexus page.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

dijon du jour posted:

A more appropriate ending would be you can spend countless hours and effort to turn him into not-a-piece-of-poo poo and at the end you are instead rewarded by him permanently moving into your house and doing whatever is the medieval equivalent of blogging about how Azura is his godspouse.

Nice.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

IAmTheRad posted:

And I'm just using regular SPERG with CACO, not Ordinator+SPERG. If it had a CACO patch for it, I'd probably use Ordinator+SPERG.

I actually thought about this and it doesn't seem that hard in practice. It would be a little tedious. The basic method would be to attach the more important conditional CACO perks to Ord/SPERG perks. You can see what's "important" by noting when possession of a particular perk is a condition of some CACO feature. From there it's a matter of adding an ability to an Ord/SPERGg perk whose magic effect grants a CACO perk, for each of these "important" CACO perks. Sometimes you may want to alter the CACO perk to do nothing but exist, if its direct effects are already covered by an Ord/SPERG perk. The hardest part is sorting out what CACO perks to attach where, according to balance and thematic considerations.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
I just wanted to say how much I like SPERG, so thanks Scyantific! :sun:

This is my second attempt at playing Skyrim (it did not run very well on my old computer), and the perk system never got me exited. I loved Morrowind, and I still have some issues with Skyrim, but SPERG really does make a difference.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

I had a weird bug last night. I had Inigo with me in Raven Rock Mine/Bloodskal Barrow and at some point he turned invisible. You could hear him, you could even initiate dialogue with him, but you couldn't see him. This persisted even when transitioning between cells in the dungeon. However, when I left the dungeon and went outside, Inigo immediately went back to normal. Very strange.

He was just being very sneaky.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
Is Inigo invisible like he drank a potion or invisible like the game forgot to render him?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hollow Talk posted:

I just wanted to say how much I like SPERG, so thanks Scyantific! :sun:

This is my second attempt at playing Skyrim (it did not run very well on my old computer), and the perk system never got me exited. I loved Morrowind, and I still have some issues with Skyrim, but SPERG really does make a difference.

Not sure if you're thanking me for the OP or for SPERG, but if you're thanking me for SPERG itself, I'm kinda the wrong person to credit. SPERG was made by seorin (divines bless him).

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Does CCO have the bags/pouches mod bundles with it? Can I uninstall the standalone bags/pouches mod if I have CCO?

e: also I see I can adjust the carry weights for bags, which is nice because.some of them are way too high.

Will it break my game is I've been playing with both bags/pouches and CCO installed and I uninstall bags/pouches?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Scyantific posted:

SPERG was made by seorin (divines bless him).
May the ground he walks on quake as he passes.

Seriously, I don't even remember what the vanilla trees look like at this point.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

How does SPERG compare to ACE? I forget what vanilla is like, but I like how ACE changes up different types of weapons to give them a uniqe feel

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I might try PerMa or Ordinator next time but I'm probably just going to use SPERG again

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Massasoit posted:

How does SPERG compare to ACE? I forget what vanilla is like, but I like how ACE changes up different types of weapons to give them a uniqe feel

I can only comment on the Archery tree part of this because that is what I am most familiar with (for Reasons). SPERG does not do the long/short bow distinction. Its approach to perks is to cut the filler perks/perk taxes (the first level perk is free and automatically scales its effect with skill, it automatically adds the more purely functional perks at multiples-of-25 skill levels), and make the remaining perks more interesting and give them more "broad applicability" (i.e., an Archery perk does something for bows, but also increases every weapon's critical hit rate I think?).

I liked ACE when I used it but it's long in the tooth and I don't honestly like the how of its implementation of differences between bows anymore. Which goes to my Reasons: I am making a standalone mod that tries to make a distinction between different bow types without interfering with the perk tress or any vanilla records as much as possible for maximum compatibility. I'll probably have to alter some weapon properties to do everything I want but formlists and conditional (hidden, auto-added) perk effects have taken me pretty far. It's slow going though... my big fear is that by the time I finish, Fallout 4 will be out and no one will give a crap.

Actually on that note, what does everyone think the Skyrim mod scene will look like after Fallout 4? I'm predicting a huge drop in interest, but lots of modders are putting out new stuff recently or have plans to do so soon.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Massasoit posted:

I love that about ACE, but it is old(er) and not really well supported.

What I've done for my latest playthrough I've gone with TTR skill overhaul, without the Archery, Smithing, Sneak/Pickpocket/Lockpicking trees, and Alchemy and replaced them with Longbows (changes perks to match Long Bows and makes vanilla bows "short bows", very awesome.), Smithing Perks Redone (or whatever by kryptotor or w/e), Stealth Skills Rebalanced, Complete Alchemy Overhaul

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Actually on that note, what does everyone think the Skyrim mod scene will look like after Fallout 4? I'm predicting a huge drop in interest, but lots of modders are putting out new stuff recently or have plans to do so soon.

I don't think FO4 will have a huge impact on Skyrim modding. They're completely different genres. Skyrim will continue to have as much of a community as it does now, for people who prefer fantasy over sci-fi (or who don't care for Fallout's brand of sci-fi). It's not like Skyrim killed New Vegas modding.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Also don't forget that the GECK for Fallout 4 won't be released until next year, so there will still be some time after the game is released.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

IAmTheRad posted:

uhhhhhh okay wait I can cause enormous environmental fires with magic? Explain further. I need to know this.

actually I want to make my magic as showy and visually impressive as possible and I don't really need it to be ultimately super effective (it'd be nice though), what's the best way to go about that?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
So I saw this jokey music video a couple days ago about how a guy ignores all major game releases and keeps playing Skyrim and I was like "man, that's pretty funny! I haven't played Skyrim in like a year! I haven't played Skyrim in like a year..."

I'm about ready to start installing mods and I can't decide between PerMa and Ordinator. I really really liked SkyRe on my last run and am curious if anyone has played with the two extensively enough to give a good rundown.

It's really disappointing to see how much typical modder feature creep went into Legacy of the Dragonborn. I really wanted to use it in a more complete state than I did a year ago but I just want the loving museum, I don't care about Moonpath or his pet project questline he added or anything. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I think the worst case of feature creep I've personally seen in a mod has been with "Immersive Wenches." It started out as a simple, if somewhat cheeky, little add-on. Along the lines of "Inconsequential NPC's," it just put more serving girls in taverns. It made total sense alongside other mods that make the world more populated. You know, more customers, more wait staff. A dash of cheesecake in a fantasy game? OK, sure, I'm not above that. And it could have stopped there, but it has grown into this crazy monstrosity!

I was reflexively grabbing updates for a while just for the bug fixes and stuff, but I realized I had to stop after the one that added zany dialogue trees where you say creepy stuff about their boobs, and a bunch of red-cloaked "vampire wenches" that sell blood in every tavern. There's all this extra poo poo like wench-summoning spells that I could always just turn off or ignore, but now I can't just buy a drat drink in a bar without wading through a long dialogue tree full of clumsy propositioning.

Thankfully the guy has at least split his most insane ideas - like the undead wench bosses in draugr crypts with watermelon-sized breasts - into separate mods, but the original mod has still bloated into something unwieldy and bizarre.

• Locked thread