Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Saros posted:

WEDDINGS

Postpone student loans... Check

Spend Emergency fund... Check

Spend downpayment... Check

Drain retirement accounts... Check

Book venue without consulting SO... Check

Does anyone have the original text of this post? Seems worthy of preserving for posterity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Robot posted:

Does anyone have the original text of this post? Seems worthy of preserving for posterity.

Google's Cached Version posted:

I apologize if this is rambly and at times incoherent but my mind is pretty scattered right now.

I've been dating my now fiance, will call her Beth, for 6 years. We met my 2nd year in college, her first. I never imagined I could be as happy as I was.

I've never been a big believer in marriage. To me the relationship is the same the day before as it is the day after. It doesn't change anything. It is just a giant spectacle. Beth has known this about me basically from the start. I've always known she has wanted a wedding and while I think it is pointless she doesn't so I decided to propose to her. Not the most romantic of stories but it is what it is.

About a month ago I finally had everything all set and I proposed. Beth was ecstatic. She couldn't believe I had changed my mind on marriage. I just said I loved her and I thought she deserved to have the wedding of her dreams. I did say that last bit basically word for word.

Over the coming weeks I saw Beth huddled over a bunch of folders and a calculator repeatedly. I asked what she was up to and she said wedding stuff. I asked if I could help with anything and she said not yet, she wanted everything set up before she brought it to me. I didn't pay it much mind.

Well, earlier this evening she brought it all to me. I was excited to see it because she was excited to show it to me. My excitement died almost right away. First page had the total budget. $50,000. Then I saw the date of the wedding. Next summer, July specifically. I said outright sthat we couldn't afford it.

Don't get me wrong. We are pretty fortunate financially. Both of us are young but we got jobs right out of college in the fields we wanted. I make a bit more than her, 65k to her 42k. But I just had no idea how we could save up 50k before June, earlier in a lot of cases because of deposits.

She said we could and handed me another folder. I skimmed down the pages dumbstruck. She was pulling every bit of savings we had accumulated.

A lot of it was from our savings for a down payment for a house. I have been putting a lot of money into this because I want to stop renting. I want to own something. Beth doesn't like the idea of a starter house either. She wants the first house we move into to be The House and live there until we die. Naturally this takes a lot more savings.

We were planning on a winter vacation in a couple of months. Reservations were made. Plane tickets booked. I had a fund set up because this was going to be our first vacation and I wanted to do it right. She drained that savings and apparently has already cancelled the reservations which I know for some of it we wont see but half of the money back because of deposits.

My new years resolution was to get two funds started for the eventuality of kids. I wanted one to have 5k in it and the other 2.5k by the end of the year. I was actually ahead of target. She was draining both.

I have a rainy day fund set up for us. Has enough money in it to cover our cost of living for 3 months should both of us suddenly stop having an income. Gone.

I have the beginnings of a retirement fund going for us because everything I have read says you need to get started on that right away. Despite pretty heavy fines and fees for pulling this money out early she was pulling it all.

She wants me to cancel my life and dental insurance. Dental I think I can cancel, it is through work but I am not positive. Life insurance I have no clue. I've never looked into the early termination of either. Assume some fines would come of it if we are allowed to at all.

she still has student loans. She graduated college with 65k worth of them at 6-8% interest. Apparently they have a hardship or some other thing that allows her to not make payments for six months. She applied for that and I guess she got it. I don't even want to think about what the interest will do to those in 6 months with no payments.

She apparently had been on the computer as well and looked over the budget I had set up for myself. I'm not bothered by her looking at it. I told her when I made it and asked if she wanted to look at it. She didn't at the time.

I set aside $100 dollars a month for gaming. I love gaming. It is my main pass time. I rarely spend that much but I set that to prevent me from spending more. She wants all 100 of it every month.

She wants to cancel either netflix or hbonow, preferably both. We don't have cable so those are our main source of tv entertainment. I might be able to live with this but it would be hard.

We lease both of our cars. My lease ends in 2 months. I had a bit saved up for the next car. She wants to take that savings and not get a new car. We move to one car. We both work and this would be a logistical nightmare.

She had a couple of other things on there but they were pretty minor.

I looked over all of that and just said no. That money was set aside for other things. Things I felt and thought were important to us. She said the wedding was more important. I said I didn't think it was. Probably not the smartest thing I have ever said but I still feel it is true. She got really pissed. Said the wedding was a statement of our love of each other to the world and what kind of message would we be sending if we cut corners. She said she had been crunching the numbers and the budget she set out is what will be needed, if not even a little more.

I'm started getting a little frantic. This just doesn't work. I asked what about summer 2017? Or even 2018? We could probably get the money saved up without going at our other accounts with a little more time. This is when I found out she already booked the venue for June. I knew where she wanted to get married and I have told her it is a beautiful place. They had an opening in July and she took it. That is where some of our home down payment money went.

I again said I didn't want to do this. That I didn't think it was a good idea. She asked what I wanted. I suggested a destination wedding. We go somewhere, whoever can makes it makes it. When we get home we throw a party at the park or something for the people who couldn't make it. Just something casual and fun.

That was apparently the worst possible suggestion. Our friends had done something like that two years ago. I thought it was great. Despite her saying she thought it was nice she apparently thought it was cheap and tacky. She started yelling at me about how I could possibly think that was a good idea.

I then started going through her budget for the wedding closer. Asking if we really needed to spend so much on flowers, dresses, center pieces. Again, she said we can't cut corners and that I had promised her the wedding of her dreams.

I didn't know what to do at this point. I admitted to saying that but said we have to be able to find some compromise. Something cheaper. Again, wrong word choice. She asked me if I thought our love was cheap. I didn't know what to do.

She was going on about how beautiful it would be and I admit it looked nice. Then she crossed a line though. She said 'I know you don't know much about class and quality coming from your family.' to which I stopped her and asked her what she meant. 'Oh, its nothing really it is just that your mom likes to be...frugal'.

Now my parents are frugal. They aren't poor, they just don't like spending money when they don't feel like they have to. They like saving. Probably where I get it from and given the circumstances she needed me to be like that. To make it worse she lived with me at my parents house her 2nd year in college. They treated her like one of their own. Bought her clothes, fed her, even gave her gas money.

I got kind of mad at this point. She went from stealing from our future to insulting my family. I told her that I didn't approve of her moving our savings around and leaving us so vulnerable and unprepared for the future. I told her that it was insulting that she would say things like that to my parents who brought her in when they didn't have to. Then I left. I knew if I stayed I would say something out of spite.

That brings me to now. Sitting in a hotel room with 40 messages from her and a couple from friends that probably are concerned if she called looking for me. I don't know what to do. I love Beth. She has always been a little materialistic but it has never been a problem before. She knew how much to spend. Now she just seems to be going overboard.

TLDR: Fiance is draining all of our savings and wants to make several quality of life cuts to put on a giant wedding. I don't want to do any of that.

Edit: Quick edit because I think I misrepresented what she did. She has only removed money for the down payment on the venue as far as I know. The rest she is planning to remove for other costs when they arise. I shouldn't have said gone or anything like that because the money is still in there though she did destroy the individual funds I had set up to keep the savings for different things separated.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
That basically pushes every single reddit button there is. Doubt it's real.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Barry posted:

That basically pushes every single reddit button there is. Doubt it's real.

Yeah, but

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Isn't it nice that they found out they should in no case be together before they spend $50k on a wedding and another $10k on a divorce?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What is the situation where it is GWM to lease a car? I drive too many miles at work for it to be possible for me, but I'm curious. I hate, hate, hate car repair, so I'll never do anything but the most mundane task myself. Is it ever a good idea to lease?

Before thread derails, I bought a 2005 Toyota in cash.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

cowofwar posted:

Dude needs to spend less time gaming and more time talking.

I don't really understand couples where one person does all the planning. It's a giant expensive party for a couple, not a person.

$100 a month of budgeted money for a couple with a combined 6 figure income can't afford $100 on the thing the dude really enjoys?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

What is the situation where it is GWM to lease a car? I drive too many miles at work for it to be possible for me, but I'm curious. I hate, hate, hate car repair, so I'll never do anything but the most mundane task myself. Is it ever a good idea to lease?

If you are in sales and drive clients around and you get reimbursed or can deduct car expenses from your taxes.

Otherwise, no. It's never GWM to lease a car.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Krispy Kareem posted:

Has anyone ever met a couple that looked back at their wedding and thought to themselves, "yeah, we should've spent more." It's one of those odd events that seem so important in the run-up and so incredibly unimportant the day after.

We wished we'd got a better photographer, which would definitely have cost more.

Some people remember and reminisce about the details of their wedding for quite some time. Perhaps you are not among them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Krispy Kareem posted:

Has anyone ever met a couple that looked back at their wedding and thought to themselves, "yeah, we should've spent more." It's one of those odd events that seem so important in the run-up and so incredibly unimportant the day after.

Me, actually, because we made a profit on the wedding and could've invited a few dozen more friends if I'd known that.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I think there's a trick you can do involving electric car lease on a fiat 500e and tax credits to make it really viable.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

n8r posted:

$100 a month of budgeted money for a couple with a combined 6 figure income can't afford $100 on the thing the dude really enjoys?

Especially when they already got rid of cable and she also wants to cut Netflix and HboNow.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

We wished we'd got a better photographer, which would definitely have cost more.

Photographer is definitely one you don't want to go super budget on. One of my friends got married and had a talented friend shot it. But since he was an amateur that wasn't getting paid, he procrastinated a little bit and proceeded to lose all of the photos in a hard drive crash because he had no backups. All of their wedding photos are now the ones I took, with the corresponding loss in quality as I got more drunk during the wedding.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

n8r posted:

Things like that really make me think it's just redpill fanfic. Horrible oppressive woman takes away the one thing man likes, women are terrible right guys????

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Zikan posted:

Photographer is definitely one you don't want to go super budget on. One of my friends got married and had a talented friend shot it. But since he was an amateur that wasn't getting paid, he procrastinated a little bit and proceeded to lose all of the photos in a hard drive crash because he had no backups. All of their wedding photos are now the ones I took, with the corresponding loss in quality as I got more drunk during the wedding.

Even the professionals procrastinate a bunch.

Took my cousin over a year to get her pictures. By the time she got them, no one cared about seeing them anymore.

OneWhoKnows
Dec 6, 2006
I choo choo choooose you!

Devian666 posted:

Alright it's agreed that android phones are bad with money now let's move on to something entertaining.

e: Here's a package of $15k of space pixels for a game that will never exist. https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Combos/The-Completionist-Digital

I watched a video of one of their ships and it's impressive. But I did notice at the end their logo goes up in flames. Hidden message?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

n8r posted:

Dude apparently never talks finances with her and bails to a hotel room after a disagreement. Dude sucks at communication and is probably a man child gamer.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Leasing an electric car with the thought that battery tech and other electric car tech will be way better in three years is somewhat GWM.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CannonFodder posted:

Leasing an electric car with the thought that battery tech and other electric car tech will be way better in three years is somewhat GWM.

Leasing a Nissan Leaf has been pretty GWM for the past few years if you paid enough in taxes to qualify for the tax credit.

It's been so good that Nissan had to offer crazy lease buyouts for lease holders in an effort to get them to actually buy the drat things after the lease is over.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

cowofwar posted:

Dude apparently never talks finances with her and bails to a hotel room after a disagreement. Dude sucks at communication and is probably a man child gamer.

Heh, GAMERS, am I right guys? What a bunch of losers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Comrade Flynn posted:

he's not just a gamer, he's an mra redditor bbc netflix

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Krispy Kareem posted:

With hindsight, we could have afforded a honeymoon, but we didn't know that at the time.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Krispy Kareem posted:

Actually sometimes yes.

We did a courthouse wedding, about 60 bux and that was it. My in laws bought a cake for us. We are 5.5 years in and have a son, a fully paid off house (which is where we put the money we might have spent on a bigger ceremony) and some land and a rental property.

I've since attended 3 different weddings of various spendiness, and I do honestly wish we had done something bigger and costlier. Not in the tens of thousands, but at least gotten a space, invited friends and relatives (and probably would have had to buy their flights for my family) and done some real food even if it meant making it all myself.

I don't think of it a lot, but when I do attend a wedding, or now that you asked, I do feel like spending 2-4k would have been a good expenditure for a more memorable day with more people present. (the majority going to plane tickets for my family to attend from overseas)

poopinmymouth fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 13, 2015

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

poopinmymouth posted:

Actually sometimes yes.

We did a courthouse wedding, about 60 bux and that was it. My in laws bought a cake for us. We are 5.5 years in and have a son, a fully paid off house (which is where we put the money we might have spent on a bigger ceremony) and some land and a rental property.

I've since attended 3 different weddings of various spendiness, and I do honestly wish we had done something bigger and costlier. Not in the tens of thousands, but at least gotten a space, invited friends and relatives (and probably would have had to buy their flights for my family) and done some real food even if it meant making it all myself.

I don't think of it a lot, but when I do attend a wedding, or now that you asked, I do feel like spending 2-4k would have been a good expenditure for a more memorable day with more people present. (the majority going to plane tickets for my family to attend from overseas)

Do you only feel that way because of hindsight? You couldn't project that in 6 years you would have this level of financial success. You can only make the decision with the information you had at the time.

Also, completely spitballing here, your marriage may have benefited from that increased early financial stability and knowing that both partners were on-board with a fiscally responsible decision from the get-go.

GWM is me eventually marrying a divorcee because they've already had their big wedding and we can just elope.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Blinkman987 posted:

Do you only feel that way because of hindsight? You couldn't project that in 6 years you would have this level of financial success. You can only make the decision with the information you had at the time.

Also, completely spitballing here, your marriage may have benefited from that increased early financial stability and knowing that both partners were on-board with a fiscally responsible decision from the get-go.

GWM is me eventually marrying a divorcee because they've already had their big wedding and we can just elope.

We definitely had the funds to spend at the time if we had wanted. I remember having the conversation that we could either spend the money on a big ceremony, or save it for a house down payment, and we decided to save it.

You are right in that I couldn't really have known our exact situation now, but I did want to answer honestly the question asked.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Blinkman987 posted:

Or you know you can have another ceremony now. Call it family reunion/ renewal of marriage vows.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

r0ck0 posted:

Or you know you can have another ceremony now. Call it family reunion/ renewal of marriage vows.

Pretty hard to get the same turnout for that, in my experience.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
To me, the most unbelievable thing in that Reddit post is the request to cancel dental insurance to pay for a wedding, especially since the cost savings from now through July are probably pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Also, don't you usually need a qualifying life event to stop insurance through work? I don't think "wedding planning" counts...

Though if the entire thing is true, that part actually amuses me the most -- dude better hope he doesn't get his teeth chipped or kicked in or something, because boy would there be hell to pay if his broken smile ruins the wedding photos they're funding with the dental insurance money! And you know stuff like that always happens as soon as you have a break in insurance.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Comrade Flynn posted:

Why are you white knighting an internet bad with relationships redditor? Dude has a specific budget line for gaming. If he was a normal dude that happened to play video games for fun then it wouldn't have caught my eye.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

oopsie rock posted:

To me, the most unbelievable thing in that Reddit post is the request to cancel dental insurance to pay for a wedding, especially since the cost savings from now through July are probably pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Also, don't you usually need a qualifying life event to stop insurance through work? I don't think "wedding planning" counts...

Though if the entire thing is true, that part actually amuses me the most -- dude better hope he doesn't get his teeth chipped or kicked in or something, because boy would there be hell to pay if his broken smile ruins the wedding photos they're funding with the dental insurance money! And you know stuff like that always happens as soon as you have a break in insurance.

My dental insurance is pretty expensive, but it's still only like 40 bucks a month.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

oopsie rock posted:

I don't know anyone else, but my dental insurance is also the cheapest premium that I pay. I forget exactly how much but it's just a few bucks per paycheck.

If I canceled it I'd wind up saving abound a hundred bucks over the course of a year. Totally negligible in the grand scheme of things.

e:

No Butt Stuff posted:

My dental insurance is pretty expensive, but it's still only like 40 bucks a month.

nevermind then :shobon:

Still, I actually care more about dental insurance than I do medical. I take better care of my teeth than the rest of my body.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 13, 2015

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

cowofwar posted:

i dunno. if my girlfriend was like, 'hey i am wiping out our entire net worth on a wedding i am unwilling to discuss at all and hey also your family are cheap and gross and don't live up to my standards' i would probably need a couple days of space before communicating too

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

the talent deficit posted:

i dunno. if my girlfriend was like, 'hey i am wiping out our entire net worth on a wedding i am unwilling to discuss at all and hey also your family are cheap and gross and don't live up to my standards' i would probably need a couple days of space before communicating too
Except they're engaged and should hopefully be at a point where they understand and respect each other. Some people can apparently spend years together without actually talking about anything important. Although I'll bet this dude just made passive grunts while leveling his paladin.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012
I dunno, I can see that they might not really know each other well enough and that their relationship hasn't been tested. The guy said he was planning their FIRST joint vacation after 6 years of being together, which seems odd to me. It might sound like a trivial thing, but you can learn a lot about a person when you go on vacation with them -- compatibility regarding leisure activities (like, do they want to go scuba diving or are they OK at the pool), whether they consider unforeseen problems like a delayed flight to be a bearable obstacle or a ruinous event, and probably most importantly for this guy, how they plan and budget for a short-term expensive thing.

Everyone says you need to live with someone before you can know them well enough to marry them, but I also think vacations are educational enough to be of similar importance.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
I can see shelling out for a few specific expenses for your wedding - drinks/food, photographer, hotels for your guests. But going balls-out like that on every facet of the wedding just seems like a bad idea!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

poopinmymouth posted:

Actually sometimes yes.

You're an extreme outlier. Buying a six pack would have increased your budget by 10%. I'm more referring to the 10 to 15 thousand dollar weddings with a reasonable amount of pomp and frills. I see lots of people regret spending too much money on weddings. I don't think I've ever seen someone say they really wished the dress bagged up and hanging in their closet had been $5k rather than $2k. Or....doves. We really should have had doves.

I got away with a $3k wedding. Our main regret was having it as quickly as we did, since giving everyone 3 weeks notice meant we got poo poo for wedding gifts. Unprotected sex is bad with money in so many ways.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
50k is a reasonable wedding amount these days for most people, just FYI.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Also, you'd be surprised at how many people want a small/courthouse wedding, but their parents/family throw a shitfit. My mother in law cried when we told her we wanted to elope. We didn't elope.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The dollar amount isn't important - it's whether you have to incur debt and liquidate all your assets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

mastershakeman posted:

50k is a reasonable wedding amount these days for most people, just FYI.

That's when it's time to run a $500/plate cover charge

• Locked thread