Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

But that's just the correct spelling? :v: (Also only 1 word.)

Read The Cipher that someone mentioned in this thread a while back. I really loved how bleak it seemed and just how 'empty' the main character was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Geokinesis posted:

But that's just the correct spelling? :v: (Also only 1 word.)

Read The Cipher that someone mentioned in this thread a while back. I really loved how bleak it seemed and just how 'empty' the main character was.

Over here in Americaland we spell it "curb."

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 30, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Goblin posted:

The Penguin Classics reprint of Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe will be out on the 6th, just in time for some October/Halloween themed reading.

Do we know yet if these are the original stories or the ones he recently edited, apparently for the worse?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

GrandpaPants posted:

Do we know yet if these are the original stories or the ones he recently edited, apparently for the worse?

Unfortunately, yes.

ligotti.net posted:

> Do we know if the Penguin edition will use the SubPress versions of the stories?
Yes. Not only that, the stories are newly edited and vetted by Ligotti himself. More polishing than anything else I suspect.

From http://www.ligotti.net/showthread.php?t=10027&page=3

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

I think there's a 'motorway services' in there too

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Geokinesis posted:

Cool, always glad to hear when people like my more obscure recommendations :).

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ornamented Death posted:

Cool, always glad to hear when people like my more obscure recommendations :).

Yep, I'm enjoying it too BUT I HAVEN'T FINISHED IT YET SO DON'T SPOIL IT OR DOWN THE FUNHOLE WITH YOU

Right now I just feel bad for Vanese.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Some of you gents may be interested in this.

------------------

PST posted:

The Delta Green Kickstarter has gone live:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcdream/delta-green-the-role-playing-game

On top of the base game, an extra $50 gets the hardback of 'The Fall of Delta Green' being written by Ken Hite. It's not a stretch goal but I'm going to guess will come out some time after the main book.

It went live about 30 mins ago and is already over $10k which isn't bad for an 18 year old roleplay setting.

:cthulhu: Delta Green Kickstarter update. :cthulhu:

Funded to 40K in less than four hours.

New objectives to unlock!

quote:

Stretch Goals

This project is moving fast! Here are some of downloads and books you'll be able to get as Add-On Rewards (see below!) when we hit these new funding targets...

FUNDED! THE AGENT'S HANDBOOK: Everything you need to play Delta Green: The Role-Playing Game.

FUNDED! "VISCID": A new Delta Green scenario by Dennis Detwiller, wherein the agents find that even magic has a half-life. ADD-ON COST: $5.

AT $50K, "OBSERVER EFFECT": A new Delta Green scenario by Shane Ivey. Most physicists think a new lab's experiment to study the nature of reality won't reveal a thing. Your Delta Green agents might learn otherwise. ADD-ON COST: $5.

AT $120K, THE EXPANDED CORE BOOK: This big, color hardback will have everything from the Agent's Handbook plus a Game Moderator's view of the setting and ton of new material for running Delta Green campaigns, customizing the setting and the threats, and keeping your players surprised and scared. ADD-ON COST: $70.

And we have a lot more to come....

quote:

Developers and Key Personnel

DENNIS DETWILLER—WRITER, EDITOR, ILLUSTRATOR: One of the co-creators of Delta Green and co-owner of Arc Dream Publishing, Dennis also created or co-created the tabletop roleplaying games Godlike, Wild Talents, Nemesis, and Insylum. Currently design director at Harebrained Schemes (Necropolis), he was previously VP of Creative at Warner Bros. International Enterprises and produced bestselling mobile and console games for Nickelodeon, Hothead Games, and Radical Entertainment (Prototype). He's still asked to autograph cards he painted in the early years of Magic: The Gathering.

ADAM SCOTT GLANCY—WRITER: One of the co-creators of Delta Green, Scott is president of Pagan Publishing, where the first Delta Green books were produced. He oversees its line of Call of Cthulhu sourcebooks to this day: most recently Mysteries of Mesoamerica, Bumps in the Night, and the forthcoming Horrors of War.

JOHN SCOTT TYNES—ADVISOR: One of the co-creators of Delta Green, John founded Pagan Publishing and the seminal Cthulhu Mythos gaming magazine The Unspeakable Oath. He led the production of the first few Delta Green game and fiction books: Delta Green, Countdown, Alien Intelligence, The Rules of Engagement (collected in Strange Authorities), and Dark Theatres. He co-created Atlas Games' Unknown Armies, which is soon getting a long-awaited new edition of its own. For years he designed PC and console video games. These days he manages the Imagine Cup for Microsoft.

SHANE IVEY—WRITER, EDITOR: Co-owner of Arc Dream Publishing and a former newspaper copy editor and magazine editor, Shane has managed and edited the last few Delta Green game and fiction projects: Eyes Only, Targets of Opportunity, Through a Glass, Darkly, Strange Authorities, Tales from Failed Anatomies, and Extraordinary Renditions. He's editor-in-chief of The Unspeakable Oath and has spearheaded game lines including Godlike, Wild Talents, Monsters and Other Childish Things, and Better Angels.

GREG STOLZE—WRITER: A contributor to past Delta Green books (Alien Intelligence, Targets of Opportunity, Extraordinary Renditions), Greg is also co-creator of Unknown Armies with John Scott Tynes, Godlike with Dennis Detwiller, Wild Talents with Detwiller, Shane Ivey, and Kenneth Hite, Nemesis with Detwiller, Ivey, and Adam Crossingham, and author of Reign, Better Angels, the Wild Talents setting books Progenitor, eCollapse, and (with Kenneth Hite) Grim War, and the almost-but-not-quite Delta Green novel Mask of the Other.

KENNETH HITE—WRITER, EDITOR: A contributor to past Delta Green books (Targets of Opportunity, Extraordinary Renditions) and the author of the upcoming Gumshoe game The Fall of Delta Green, Ken is the creator or co-creator of Trail of Cthulhu, Night's Black Agents, The Dracula Dossier, Ken Writes About Stuff, Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff, and many other award-winning works.

Q: What does a Delta Green game sound like?

Look no further than "The Lover in the Ice" :http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2011/05/systems/call-of-cthulhu/call-of-cthulhu-delta-green-lover-in-the-ice/

Q: What is the Delta Green world like?

Here are three excellent short stories written by one of the authors and professionally narrated.

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/11/unspeakable-episode-16-intelligences-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/12/unspeakable-episode-17-philosophy-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/10/unspeakable-episode-15-drowning-in-sand-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

Q: Is there a podcast where I can listen to what's new in Delta Green moderated by the authors?

Why yes there is!

quote:

News about the upcoming Delta Green book!

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/...t-gen-con-2015/

Featuring:
-Less math in rolls!
-Fewer skills and a concomitant shift to using basic stats! For example: Want to take a picture under duress? Might take a Dex x5 roll rather than the Photography skill.
-Your skill level actually matters more than a roll! Have a 50 in Archaeology? You may get further insight into a scene automatically without rolling Spot Hidden!
-Combat is more lethal! Introducing Kill Chances! Grenades and mortars are loving deadly!
-Combat is more dangerous! You can be shaken and lose sanity!
-Gun fondling!
-Greg Stolze! Integrating the Sanity mechanics from Unknown Armies into Cthulhu!
-Bonds as sources of stability! Be like Martin Hart and take out your frustrations on your family to gain a small respite from the horrors of the Mythos! Who is the real monster now!?!

http://www.delta-green.com/

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Helical Nightmares posted:

Some of you gents may be interested in this.

------------------

:cthulhu: Delta Green Kickstarter update. :cthulhu:

Funded to 40K in less than four hours.

New objectives to unlock!

Q: What does a Delta Green game sound like?

Look no further than "The Lover in the Ice" :http://actualplay.roleplayingpublicradio.com/2011/05/systems/call-of-cthulhu/call-of-cthulhu-delta-green-lover-in-the-ice/

Q: What is the Delta Green world like?

Here are three excellent short stories written by one of the authors and professionally narrated.

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/11/unspeakable-episode-16-intelligences-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/12/unspeakable-episode-17-philosophy-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

http://theunspeakableoath.com/home/2014/10/unspeakable-episode-15-drowning-in-sand-a-story-by-dennis-detwiller/

Q: Is there a podcast where I can listen to what's new in Delta Green moderated by the authors?

Why yes there is!

http://www.delta-green.com/
I cannot read the teaser blurb without the "A-Team" theme and narrator voice going off in my head.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone read The Deep by Nick Cutter? It's pretty loving weird.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Noam Chomsky posted:

No, but I have read The Shallows by John Langan. It's the one that someone mentioned earlier in this thread, about an old man recounting stories of his life to a little crab-thing as he tends to a garden in the post-Old Ones apocalypse. It was part of his collection The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies but I got it in audiobook format as part of The Book of Chulhu. That anthology was a real mixed bag, but The Shallows was definitely the highlight for me.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I found The Outer Dark podcast.

Scott Nicolay started this podcast at the end of June it and currently has 15 interviews with authors of new Weird Horror. He's got the work ethic of a professor. Maybe he is.

This is a fairly academic podcast. Basically it is two writers sitting down and talking about elements of the stories of the interviewee but there will be references to Steinbeck and Classical literature. Anyone who enjoyed discussions of literature professors in grad school will be right at home. Some might find it dull and a bit dry at times (in part because of the tone of some of the people speaking).

As an example from the Daniel Mills interview.

quote:

Daniel Mills, author of the 2014 critically acclaimed collection The Lord Came at Twilight, discusses how his writing engages with historical voices such as Hawthorne, Chambers and others, rediscovering obscure authors of the 19th and 20th centuries who delved into weird, ghosts and the supernatural, the tendency among contemporary weird writers to be archivists/archaeologists digging into old sources for forgotten gems, his wistful yearning for past eras such as Colonial America versus confronting the spiritual corruption of American history in his stories, presenting a mannered lyrical approach to storytelling in a fresh and contemporary application, the artistry of depicting grotesque material with beautiful prose, modern cinematic writing versus language itself as “a world where you can disappear,” narrative restraint and the horror that happens offstage, courtships that reflect the intersection of deeply repressed desires and warped worldviews, clerical characters and the contradictions of America’s Christian mythos, creative misremembering, balancing presentism and historicism, discovering a shared New England sensibility with Matthew Bartlett, NecronomiCon Providence and the excitement and critical mass of today’s Weird Renaissance, the resounding influence of John Bellairs, upcoming projects including short stories, a novella and a second novel inspired by the spiritualism and theosophy movements of the late 19th century, and his current recommended reading including Reggie Oliver and Orrin Grey.

I do have to say though, after listening to how the interviewer reviews a particular story I have found my self very excited to read the story, with varying degrees of approval so he does make the listeners enthusiastic about the authors.

I enjoyed the John Langan interview to reference Skyscraper's post.

The audio quality can vary because some of the interviews are carried out over skype. For some reason Scott Nicolay's voice is very quiet too in more than one podcast.

There is also a panel from Necronomicon addressing Racism in HPL's work and why it can be appreciated and still be literary despite those flaws.

http://scottnicolay.com/category/outer-dark-podcast/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-outer-dark/id1011456737?mt=2

Through this podcast I found the author Jayaprakash Satyamurthy. Try his free short story "Empty Dreams" here:

http://pratilipi.in/2011/11/empty-dreams-jayaprakash-satyamurthy/

He is a Bangladeshi native and seeks to build a mythology of Bangladesh somewhat in the vein of what Gaiman, China Melville and others have done to London.

I picked up Kate Jonez's Ceremony of Flies based on the interview and well.... it was ok. It really felt to me like an abbreviated imitation of American Gods than a cosmic horror novel. She can write well but I can't recommend the story.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I read Ceremony of Flies back when it came out and did not enjoy it; probably the low point of DarkFuse's novellas last year.

On the topic of horror podcasts, I can't recommend The Horror Show with Brian Keene enough. The format tends to be 15-30 minutes of news that pertains to the horror world, then an interview that's around half an hour, then a wrap-up segment.

The sound quality is phenomenal as far as podcasts go for several reasons: a) Keene refuses to do anything over Skype, b) Keene has a background in radio broadcasting, c) Dave Thomas, the cohost, has a background in sound engineering of some sort, and d) they use high-quality equipment. Even when they do interviews in public places, you can clearly understand what everyone is saying and, at worst, have to adjust the volume slightly. I bring this up because so many podcasts are loving terrible to listen to from a sound quality standpoint; Three Guys With Beards, for example, an otherwise entertaining podcast, can't go ten minutes without either horrible echoes, inexplicable and drastic drops in sound quality, and all kinds of dings and whistles and whatnot because no one will turn their loving phones on vibrate.

Content-wise, The Horror Show is has introduced me to a lot of new authors. Most don't necessarily fit within the weird fiction and/or cosmic horror niche, but I pride myself on being fairly well read within the horror genre and Keene is constantly mentioning or interviewing people that I've never heard of, and I'm not just talking about fresh, young authors.

Keene himself is endlessly entertaining. He has a reputation as being an rear end in a top hat, and in a lot of ways he is, but he's the lovable kind of rear end in a top hat that, generally speaking, only attacks people that deserve it (inasmuch as anyone deserves to be attacked). For example, he went after Rob Labbe pretty hard earlier this year, but then Rob Labbe said stupid poo poo like most female horror authors "look like hags anyway," so gently caress that guy. Mostly Keene is a guy that's been in the business and the genre for a long time and really cares about both. He offers a lot of insight and advice on how to develop stories and how to have a better chance at getting published.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Were any other DarkFuse novella's any good? Are any of them cosmic horror?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Were any other DarkFuse novella's any good? Are any of them cosmic horror?

I found most of them to be good, if not great. I have everything DarkFuse has published in physical format: here's an exhaustive list.

In order of descending quality, their cosmic horror titles are:

Whom the Gods Would Destroy by Brian Hodge
The Last Mile by Tim Waggoner
The Dunfield Terror by William Miekle (novel)
Deadlock by Tim Curran
Children of No One by Nicole Cushing
A Shrill Keening by Ronald Malfi
Blackout by Tim Curran
Conjure House by Gary Fry (novel)

There are a few more that could be classified as cosmic horror, depending on how far you want to stretch the definition, but all of these are very firmly within that niche.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Skyscraper posted:

No, but I have read The Shallows by John Langan. It's the one that someone mentioned earlier in this thread, about an old man recounting stories of his life to a little crab-thing as he tends to a garden in the post-Old Ones apocalypse. It was part of his collection The Wide, Carnivorous Sky and Other Monstrous Geographies but I got it in audiobook format as part of The Book of Chulhu. That anthology was a real mixed bag, but The Shallows was definitely the highlight for me.
If you haven't got it yet I would utterly recommend The Wide, Carnivorous Sky because that poo poo was fantastic.

Also really enjoyed Whom The Gods Would Destroy, really great little novella about parental abandonment/neglect told via space monster with a thoroughly ambiguous, downbeat ending.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Evfedu posted:

If you haven't got it yet I would utterly recommend The Wide, Carnivorous Sky because that poo poo was fantastic.

Also really enjoyed Whom The Gods Would Destroy, really great little novella about parental abandonment/neglect told via space monster with a thoroughly ambiguous, downbeat ending.

I'd recommend it as well.

There are some parts where the protagonist goes on and on about :jerkbag: science :jerkbag: to the point where it's like you're on Reddit but it's really good.

(don't get me wrong I think science is great and everything but he was preaching to the choir)

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Evfedu posted:

It's unfortunate that so many cosmic horror authors don't get audiobook releases. I first heard one of Thomas Ligotti's short stories on a Best New Horror audiobook, and ended up making time to read the ebook of Teatro Grottesco, which was totally worth it. I know, first world problems, but it galls me that I can hear Dean Koontz audiobooks for days and the best Ligotti or Langan can do is a short story in someone else's anthology.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Noam Chomsky posted:

Reading it now and finding it a bit 'meh'. In his previous work, The Troop, which had the setting of a bunch of scouts camped out in the wilderness, Cutter clearly knew what he was talking about and had done his homework for the plot points he was less familiar with. Creepy horror works best when it's crazy events taking place in an otherwise completely realistic scenario.

With The Deep, he's just making technology and stuff up whenever he needs it for the plot and it rather grates on the believability of the book.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I finished Crooked and would recommend it. Weaponized Constitutional pacts and espionage. It is pretty dry though, and the climactic scene being a deadly game of hide-and-seek is Nixonian as hell, while also being really dumb.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I just finished Gateways to Abomination by Matthew M Bartlett. It's a series of loosely connected vignettes set in the same general geographical area over a long period. Grisly murders, insanity, etc. Some parts are as short as a paragraph. It's in a kind of hazy hallucinatory style. I enjoyed it, usually I find that kind of fever-dream style to be off-putting and frustrating to read, but because of the pace with which you're traveling through stories it never grates before you're offered something different. I particularly enjoyed the prose, which was very uncomfortable to read. He's recently released a novel set in the same locale, which I'll probably pick up at some point.

Worth picking up and a fast read - I think I got through it in a couple of hours or less.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Finished The Deep. It could be simplistically, but not misleadingly, described as Event Horizon but at the bottom of the ocean with biologists, instead of in space with a physicist. For most of the book it seems to be more general horror than cosmic/alien in the Lovecraftian sense, but 1) that's not bad in itself 2) there is some payoff at the end with a glimpse of the Lovecraftian trope of something transcendent and sublime that comes across to humans as merely malevolent. I can see what Pistol_Pete is talking about with the technology being a little handwave-y, but ultimately it didn't come close to stretching my suspension of disbelief.

I'd say it's worth a look.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah, I enjoyed it too. As for the Lovecraftian stuff at the end - It's not just that the antagonists appear incidentally malevolent, they flat out enjoy being cruel to human beings

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is there a place where I can see side-by-side comparisons of the original and revised versions of Ligotti's stories? I've heard the revisions are for the worse, but would like to see some examples. I've read most of the stories in Teatro Grottesco, as well as a few others like "The Shadow at the Bottom of the World" and have no idea which versions I've read.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Origami Dali posted:

Is there a place where I can see side-by-side comparisons of the original and revised versions of Ligotti's stories? I've heard the revisions are for the worse, but would like to see some examples. I've read most of the stories in Teatro Grottesco, as well as a few others like "The Shadow at the Bottom of the World" and have no idea which versions I've read.

The Subterranean Press editions and the new Penguin Classics edition have revised stories; any other collections should be original. If you want a side-by-side, you're probably going to have to pony up for the original editions since Ligotti posting such a thing would be giving away a fairly large chunk of his work essentially for free, and anyone else doing it would be pirating the material to do so.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

The Subterranean Press editions and the new Penguin Classics edition have revised stories; any other collections should be original. If you want a side-by-side, you're probably going to have to pony up for the original editions since Ligotti posting such a thing would be giving away a fairly large chunk of his work essentially for free, and anyone else doing it would be pirating the material to do so.

I imagine a person could just post up excerpts of what was changed without pirating it, unless really large portions were changed. Even then, there could be some key examples.

Edit: If someone wants to send me an un-revised book or ebook, I'll post comparisons of an appropriate length for fair use.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 19, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Skyscraper posted:

I imagine a person could just post up excerpts of what was changed without pirating it, unless really large portions were changed. Even then, there could be some key examples.

Given how much of Ligotti is the mood that he evokes, it's probably really hard to notice a tangible difference from a sentence or two vs. reading an entire story and seeing how both are affected by the change in diction or whatever. But here are some examples from a random blog: https://heroictimes.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/ligotti-vs-ligotti-comparing-subterranean-press-vs-carroll-grafs-grimscribe-editions/

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

GrandpaPants posted:

Given how much of Ligotti is the mood that he evokes, it's probably really hard to notice a tangible difference from a sentence or two vs. reading an entire story and seeing how both are affected by the change in diction or whatever. But here are some examples from a random blog: https://heroictimes.wordpress.com/2011/10/30/ligotti-vs-ligotti-comparing-subterranean-press-vs-carroll-grafs-grimscribe-editions/

Oh, thanks, that's perfect. Those are really really small changes, too.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Skyscraper posted:

Oh, thanks, that's perfect. Those are really really small changes, too.

They are small, but they are continuous and clumsy, and -- for me, at least -- they really ruin it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Thanks for that link. After doing some more reading, I've learned that Ligotti has revised some of his stories every time they've been republished. Some stories from "Grimscribe", for instance, have been revised three times now. And apparently, for the brand new Penguin Classics edition of "Songs of a Dead Dreamer and Grimscribe", he's revised them yet again (not sure what the new revisions are yet, but they're supposedly very minimal). From what I've seen, the changes made for the Subterranean press versions in 2011 run the gamut. Some are small revisions that more overtly stress Ligotti's philosophical pessimism.

Example from "Drink to me with Labyrinthine Eyes":

1989 version:
“They wanted the death stuff, the pain stuff. All that flashy junk. They wanted cartwheels of agonized passion; somersaults into fires of doom; nosedives, if you will, into the frenzied pageant of vulnerable flesh.”
2011 version:
"They wanted the death stuff, the pain stuff. All that flashy junk. They wanted cartwheels of agony; somersaults through fires of doom; nosedives of vulnerable flesh into the meat grinder of life."

Other times, the revisions are far more substantial, where the exposition is overhauled.

Example from "The Frolic"

1989 version:
"Their daughter Norleen was upstairs asleep, or perhaps she was illicitly enjoying an after-hours session with the new color television she’d received on her birthday the week before. If so, her violation of the bedtime rule went undetected due to the affluent expanse between bedroom and living room, where her parents heard no sounds of disobedience. The house was quiet. The neighborhood and the rest of the town were also quiet in various ways, all of them slightly distracting to the doctor’s wife."

2011 version:
"Their daughter Norleen was upstairs asleep, or perhaps she was illicitly enjoying an after-hours session with the new television she'd received on her birthday the week before. If so, her violation went undetected by her parents in the living room, where all was quiet. The neighborhood outside the house was quiet, too, as it was day and night. All of Nolgate was quiet, for it was not a place with much of a nightlife, save perhaps at the bar where the prison's correctional officers congregated. Such persistent quiet made the doctor's wife fidgety with her existence in a locale that seemed light-years from the nearest metropolis."

I guess whether or not these and the rest of the revisions are for the better all depends on your sensibilities.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Reading through these, he certainly changed it to be far less poetic. Whether or not one thinks that prose approaches purple is probably up to personal tastes, but now I wish I had purchased some version of The Nightmare Factory because drat if I don't prefer the phrase "frenzied pageant of vulnerable fresh" over "meat grinder of life." The former is a suggestion that lets the imagination create the imagery, whereas the other is a metaphor that just feels more real, and thus less disturbing.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Interestingly relevant to this discussion, while going through a box of books I had bought in college (for something like $10 for an entire banker's box of hardcovers, sight unseen) I discovered I own a 1991 Carroll and Graf edition of Grimscribe. It's particularly funny because at the time I bought this I had no idea who Ligotti was.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I took the advice of the thread and read "The King in Yellow."

I have to say that was probably the worst book I've read in my entire life. Holy poo poo was it boring. I continued through, patiently waiting for the awesome payoff which was sure to come, but then it ended.

Can someone explain to me how anyone could enjoy this book?

I guess COSMIC HORROR is hiding 5 or 10 creepy, unexplained lines in 200 pages of blahhh, and then never referencing them or following up on anything?

Edit: Is the point of the book to actually drive you mad with anger in having wasted your time reading it?

Should I just avoid this entire genre?

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 24, 2015

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
You could try reading something modern instead of something like 120 years old, the older stuff can be pretty hard to enjoy if you're new to the genre.

e: Charles Stross' A Colder War is one of my favorite short stories and has been linked in here a few times, check it out: http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/stories/colderwar.htm

Laird Barron's stuff is also probably a good bet for a first dive into weird fiction.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 24, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Thanks. I will check it out. The whole cosmic horror concept intrigues me, but I'm not interested if it's just a tease.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The issue there is that most authors who decide to go beyond the tease tend to fail spectacularly - I mean, let's face it, Lovecraft isn't scary: he's good at invoking awe, morbid interest and occassionally revulsion or loneliness but not actual horror. Going with the "tease" and leaving the conclusion up to the reader is the easier way out.
But yeah, King In Yellow isn't very good on its own.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

RCarr posted:

I took the advice of the thread and read "The King in Yellow."

I have to say that was probably the worst book I've read in my entire life. Holy poo poo was it boring. I continued through, patiently waiting for the awesome payoff which was sure to come, but then it ended.

Can someone explain to me how anyone could enjoy this book?

No, because I don't like you.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Repairer of Reputations is a great story, what the hell.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

anilEhilated posted:

Lovecraft isn't scary: he's good at invoking awe, morbid interest and occassionally revulsion or loneliness but not actual horror.

To me, it always felt as if one Lovecraft story on its own was curious, three or four were kinda silly, but a dozen or more were terrifying. It's the cumulative power that gets me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

Ghostwoods posted:

It's the cumulative power that gets me.

I can definitely relate to this sentiment. Reading a handful of Lovecraft's short stories in a row puts you in a very strange mindset. Especially if it's before going to sleep and your brain is slowly drifting into a dream-state. Reading a story by Ligotti while slowly, almost-but-not-quite falling asleep is a sublime reading experience.

I personally never really find fiction to be that scary, not in the same intensity as a movie or a game. It's just such a very different medium and a different experience. If the purpose is really to feel scared, then I'll play a videogame. Thirty minutes of Silent Hill 2 make me more tense and scared than a whole reading of a horror novel. Horror fiction, and especially cosmic horror/weird horror, is however successful in evoking in me a certain type of dread that is way more intense and unsettling than just simply being scared. That sort of feeling stays with you, and can possibly alter your perception of something in a permanent way.