Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

nm posted:

Four wheel bearings, two cracked piston rings, one third gear, and a cracked case (in a pear tree).

Again, the 1990s S4 was better.

Audi post 1993 is dead to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CommieGIR posted:

Again, the 1990s S4 was better.

Audi post 1993 is dead to me.

They made an s6 wagon in 1995.5. That shouldn't be dead to you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

nm posted:

They made an s6 wagon in 1995.5. That shouldn't be dead to you.

Its an exception to the rule, and only the 5 cylinder.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

And unlike his friend's Audi Allroad, his BMWs alternator still works.

Does your driver side door panel still fall off? That was hilarious having to Duke Boys the entrance/exit into that thing.

You know, Eric's S4 is STILL at Solo, its been, what? 5 months!? Working theory is that he actually sold it and won't tell us. :mmmhmm:

I finally fixed that fuckin' thing about 2 weeks later. Now there's a bad spot on the sill from where my shoes ablated the finish.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A friend just sent me a link to this driving/puzzle game "Does Not Commute". Looks like it could be fun, but utterly maddening - basically, you have to navigate a short journey in a top-down view, then keep doing more and more different journeys without hitting the cars from the previous ones.
http://www.mediocre.se/commute/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnmysQA7ZV4

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

That looks pretty cool. It reminds me a bit of that Flight Control game.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

keykey posted:

I hope this is the followup to Mr. Show we've been waiting for. Better late than never, right?

It's supposed to be. At the risk of sounding like a spergin' nerd, I hope it's pumpkininny.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I hope this is the followup to Mr. Show we've been waiting for. Better late than never, right?

I am tentatively hopeful, yet also very very worried.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

SuperDucky posted:

Please tell me you went to the future last night and it was mine and it also was ESS supercharged??

e: bonus e30 and e46 happy in garage together pic

No, but good job out of you for putting the supercharger in!

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tusen Takk posted:

I found a bunch of E91 Tourings on autotrader for $12-$25k, which is much closer to my budget compared to some bloke on a BMW enthusiast forum asking $36k for his '09. I'm gonna need to do some research and see how the market up here looks, I know BMWs lose their value pretty fast, and based on what I see being discussed here in AI have the occasional electric problem so we'll see what happens.

edit: it also occured to me that the least stupid way to go about this is to see if I can find an E91 with a blown engine, scoop it for cheap, then buy an S65 with matching transmission and drop it in, if you can even do that.

Look, all you have to do is buy a 3-series E91, find a rear-end wrecked E90 or e92 M3, install the drivetrain, dash, gauges, interior, seats and front clip from the M3 to the wagon except the rear seats and rear interior pieces won't work so you'll have to get customs made for that using the donor M3 rear seats, custom fabricate aggressive rear arches to match the fronts, get a new M3 exhaust setup from the cats back, and custom fabricate an M3-looking rear bumper that fits on an E91. And then respray the entire thing with authentic BMW Orange Peel. And then have the roof wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. It can't cost more than $45 or 50k. I say do it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

And then respray the entire thing with authentic BMW Orange Peel.

I giggled because it's true. Do paint shops have to be trained in orange peel to get partial resprays to match? It so bad that it seems almost intentional.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Ether Frenzy posted:

custom fabricate aggressive rear arches to match the fronts
Legit my biggest worry about trying to s54 swap my wagon.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Goober Peas posted:

So I have a (not really close) friend who wears his bluetooth earpiece non-stop. And its not like its a discrete one. And he takes a gazillion selfies and posts them all over the place. And he always turns his head to the bluetooth side for said selfies.

I don't have the heart to tell him he's an idiot because he's a happy idiot.

Useless information of the day, you're welcome.

Tell him his douchebag catch-and-release tag looks great.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Anyone have suggestions for glass treatment, preferably to prevent fogging. I normally windex and go, but if there are better options out there, I'd like to step up my glass game.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

A friend just sent me a link to this driving/puzzle game "Does Not Commute". Looks like it could be fun, but utterly maddening - basically, you have to navigate a short journey in a top-down view, then keep doing more and more different journeys without hitting the cars from the previous ones.
http://www.mediocre.se/commute/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnmysQA7ZV4

I've played through it, it's fun as hell. Probably been long enough I can pick it up again too.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

I found a bunch of E91 Tourings on autotrader for $12-$25k, which is much closer to my budget compared to some bloke on a BMW enthusiast forum asking $36k for his '09. I'm gonna need to do some research and see how the market up here looks, I know BMWs lose their value pretty fast, and based on what I see being discussed here in AI have the occasional electric problem so we'll see what happens.

edit: it also occured to me that the least stupid way to go about this is to see if I can find an E91 with a blown engine, scoop it for cheap, then buy an S65 with matching transmission and drop it in, if you can even do that.

Why don't you just buy an E91, leave it the gently caress alone and just drive the drat thing?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

leica posted:

Why don't you just buy an E91, leave it the gently caress alone and just drive the drat thing?

That's boring.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Slow is Fast posted:

Anyone have suggestions for glass treatment, preferably to prevent fogging. I normally windex and go, but if there are better options out there, I'd like to step up my glass game.

RainX. RainX on the inside and outside.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

Look, all you have to do is buy a 3-series E91, find a rear-end wrecked E90 or e92 M3, install the drivetrain, dash, gauges, interior, seats and front clip from the M3 to the wagon except the rear seats and rear interior pieces won't work so you'll have to get customs made for that using the donor M3 rear seats, custom fabricate aggressive rear arches to match the fronts, get a new M3 exhaust setup from the cats back, and custom fabricate an M3-looking rear bumper that fits on an E91. And then respray the entire thing with authentic BMW Orange Peel. And then have the roof wrapped in carbon fiber vinyl. It can't cost more than $45 or 50k. I say do it.
i just want it to go fast look good and also be a car my wife doesn't mind driving in occasionally, but that's not a bad idea :)

leica posted:

i didn't know my wife had a forums account

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tusen Takk posted:

:vince:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
leica's much cuter than your wife? idk, i got nothing

State Farm called me to offer a life insurance policy and I canceled my auto/renters on the spot since I hadn't yet. The agent was completely flabbergasted that I managed to find similar coverage for literally half of the cost; it shouldn't be hard to find a cheaper rate (less than $138/mo) in a prescribed policy state for a 27 year old white dude with no tickets and 10 years of driving experience for an econobox and a "sports car" with an econobox motor. Fuckers.

e: TT, I'm sorry (not sorry), but you'll never be able to afford that stuff. I look forward to hearing about your new Sonic Turbo, though.

Phone fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 13, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i probably should have used the :v: after that

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Phone posted:

(less than $138/mo) in a prescribed policy state for a 27 year old white dude with no tickets and 10 years of driving experience for an econobox and a "sports car" with an econobox motor. Fuckers.

For 1 person that is pretty crazy. We have 3 people total insured on 3 cars, the youngest of which is 25 years old at a cost of $158 a month. A 1/4 ton utility truck, a 2013 cruiser with full coverage, and as the token gay dude at work calls it, a faggy little car.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tusen Takk posted:

I know your wife better than you think.

[e] :v:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

leica posted:

I know your wife better than you think.

[e] :v:

:pervert:

Now watch all of my dreams turn to dust and me move on to a new dream project in a year or so

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

huh, i freaken hate driving the family subaru especially the godawful autobox.

Problem's the auto, not the NA. Subaru and automatics / CVT's are a sad loving joke - a manual Subaru is without exception just plain fun (if slow) to drive. And it goes from slow to "How the hell did you go around the corner THAT fast????" in the wet and gravel.

Actually, the real reason I like slow cars is the work you have to do to go fast. Yeah I could go at some frightening speed in the Commodore and go pull absurd lap times with all that power, it's no where near as satisfying as flinging a Forester into a corner and fighting to keep as much speed as humanly possible on corner exit.

I would love to drop a STI driveline / suspension / brakes in it and leave the engine stock.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

leica's much cuter than your wife? idk, i got nothing

State Farm called me to offer a life insurance policy and I canceled my auto/renters on the spot since I hadn't yet. The agent was completely flabbergasted that I managed to find similar coverage for literally half of the cost; it shouldn't be hard to find a cheaper rate (less than $138/mo) in a prescribed policy state for a 27 year old white dude with no tickets and 10 years of driving experience for an econobox and a "sports car" with an econobox motor. Fuckers.

e: TT, I'm sorry (not sorry), but you'll never be able to afford that stuff. I look forward to hearing about your new Sonic Turbo, though.

Yup, I dumped SF too back in Jan, saved over 100 a month. They even had the audacity to ask me to come back, "we promise we'll have lower rates this time!"

Instead of, I dunno, offering that price before I decided to quit? Idiots.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Phone posted:

Tusen Takk posted:

Now watch all of my dreams turn to dust and me move on to a new dream project in a year or so

I'm sure I'll be able to afford one or the other in like five years. My wife is in her last semester of nursing school and she was placed in the Labour and Delivery overnight crew at the local hospital to get her hours in, and they like her so much they're considering hiring her as a graduate nurse and expecting her to pass her boards in January.

Since she prefers to work midnights on weekends she's going to singlehandedly triple our income, which means we'll finally be able to get a house with a garage :getin:. Then I'll figure out what to do from there I guess haha.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

State Farm has been great to me. $120/mo to insure a car that MSRP'd for $350,000? Sure.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Comrade Flynn posted:

State Farm has been great to me. $120/mo to insure a car that MSRP'd for $350,000? Sure.

I hope you have an agreed value with them. If not, there'd be a terrible situation if something bad happens.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I hope you have an agreed value with them. If not, there'd be a terrible situation if something bad happens.

Yeah, I've had agreed upon value for most of my cars. Seen too many bad situations of cars being totaled with way more into them.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm sure I'll be able to afford one or the other in like five years. My wife is in her last semester of nursing school and she was placed in the Labour and Delivery overnight crew at the local hospital to get her hours in, and they like her so much they're considering hiring her as a graduate nurse and expecting her to pass her boards in January.

I hate you

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
New headlight I bought has leaked condensation on the inside 3 different times, after sealing it 3 different times. Company will replace it, but I have to mail mine in first before they ship theirs. :argh:

Thats what I get got going ~*euro style yo*~

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nodoze posted:

I hate you

Don't worry, just like fjellnorsk he's not real. He's actually meatpimps alter ego.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Comrade Flynn posted:

They have been decent to me as well. 4 cars (Range Rover is under classic car - 5000 stated value - i really need to up it, Jag is just liability), my 2 newer cars, 1 million dollar umbrella, and my wifes rings insurance, and its 136 a month.

500 deductible on both the newer cars, so its not unreasonable.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Cakefool posted:

Don't worry, just like fjellnorsk he's not real. He's actually meatpimps alter ego.

Time for the big reveal. TT is my parachute account.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

I'm pretty sure State Farm has two pricing categories - either they want you or they don't. They are usually either the highest or the lowest rate by a decent margin.

So I finally started getting serious about fixing my back (2 herniated discs, 1 fractured, 3 bulging). Found a place that has chiropractors, massage therapists, and physical therapists and you see all 3 in one visit. Did 90 minutes yesterday and holy poo poo I can barely move today.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Cage posted:

New headlight I bought has leaked condensation on the inside 3 different times, after sealing it 3 different times. Company will replace it, but I have to mail mine in first before they ship theirs. :argh:

Thats what I get got going ~*euro style yo*~

From whom did you buy it?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Protip from my automotive repairs of the weekend, BTW: it helps to buy brake pads for the proper end of the vehicle. :saddowns:

Further, it helps to discover this before tearing the car apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Is there an adhesive that's good for, says, 400F? Doesn't have to be ultra permanent like epoxy. Spray would be nice.

• Locked thread