Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It should be Pockmon. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ys would sell more if it wasn't called Ys. What popular game is there whose name most people can't pronounce?

I have a fairly hard time telling people about the game AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

sticklefifer posted:

I have a fairly hard time telling people about the game AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!!

Doesn't that game have the subtitle "A Reckless Disregard For Gravity"?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Why not try to Google information about the puzzle/reaction platformer N+?

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Aphrodite posted:

Anything with Bros. in it.

Pewdiepie

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Evilreaver posted:

Why not try to Google information about the puzzle/reaction platformer N+?

Try using a search engine to find info on upcoming indie megahit Kingdom. Although I guess it isn't actually difficult to pronounce.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 00:51 on Oct 13, 2015

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Indie games can't afford marketing departments that would veto the poo poo out of these kinds of names.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I started playing The Witcher 3 today, and while I am enjoying it overall boy howdy do some things really bother me.

- Controls are generally kind of poo poo, and I'm using the controls that were patched in that were supposed to fix the game feeling like poo poo. Mostly just have a lot of problems with how finnicky the game is regarding interacting with things.
- Roach is a pain in the rear end to ride and he gets caught on everything, even when letting him steer himself for me.
- I can't lock onto targets until combat starts and the target is two feet in front of my face ready to hurt me. Also you can't fuckin' block until combat starts so usually combat opens with me getting pelted in the face!
- About two hours in I downloaded a mod to get rid of equipment degradation because gently caress that noise.
- Not sure I really understand the whole perfect parry thing-- I press LT just before the enemy attacks and about 90% of the time I just get hit anyway, so instead I just block all the time and roll away.

It's a good game. Gonna stick with it. Combat's a hell of a lot easier to understand than Witcher 2 which I could not get into at all.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Kalos posted:

Indie games can't afford marketing departments that would veto the poo poo out of these kinds of names.

IIRC part of the reason why indie games have such goofy names is to make it easier to show up in google results because there's nothing more popular to show up before them.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Re: The Witcher 3

To parry, you have to fight a humanoid enemy roughly your size. Keep an eye on their health and when it flashes red pull LT to parry their attack. There's a rhythm to it you'll pick up eventually. Also learn when to quickstep and when to dodge roll for monster contracts and larger enemies overall.

Roach can be a little finicky but I honestly thought they were very good horse controls before i played MGSV.

It's got the best combat controls out of all the games in the series but the transition between exploration mode and combat mode can get bumpy. I've had to reload a certain fight over and over bc I was trying to get the no damage fisticuffs achievement and kept getting tagged by the guy I wasn't locked onto. I finished the game before they added the updated control scheme so I can't say anything from experience but I heard they were supposed to make it easier to steer in indoor environments.

It's a good game, especially if you've done the other games with all the callbacks it has. My only beef with the story is that no one ever acknowledges Saskia the Dragonslayer even though most of the cast from Witcher 2 are in the game and talk to one another. I dunno if there's gonna be DLC to close that dangling thread from the second game but I just find it weird that no one has said, " Hey remember that one chick who had played a pivotal role in shifting the political dynamics of the Pontar Valley a while back? Where'd she end up?"

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I haven't played the first Witcher. I tried getting into Witcher 2 about 3-4 times but I was so put off by the combat I never stuck with it. So far I've gotten along fine not knowing who anybody is in Witcher 3 aside from this conversation I just had with a dude who dances on the graves of his enemies or something. Not knowing who anyone is is all on me though I ain't gonna hold that against the game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

- About two hours in I downloaded a mod to get rid of equipment degradation because gently caress that noise.

Every game with weapon degradation is balls. Its a money sink at best and at worst you don't want to ever use your good weapons in fear of them breaking and being lost forever. There was this MMO I used to play where the blacksmiths had a chance to gently caress up repairs and you would permanently lose a durability point on the weapon, and if its on its last point and the blacksmith fucks up its gone forever. Of course there is a cash shop item to prevent this :iamafag:

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Dying light makes degredation okay mostly by giving you perks to mostly ignore it and dropping so many weapons that the mechanic might as well not exist.

On Topic: they spent development resources on making Dying Lights degredation mechanic pointless instead of just commenting it out.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Kaubocks posted:

I haven't played the first Witcher. I tried getting into Witcher 2 about 3-4 times but I was so put off by the combat I never stuck with it. So far I've gotten along fine not knowing who anybody is in Witcher 3 aside from this conversation I just had with a dude who dances on the graves of his enemies or something. Not knowing who anyone is is all on me though I ain't gonna hold that against the game.

The game is really good regardless if you've played any previous entries or not. If you play the first game there's a very small quest where you find a book that's a biography of a character from the first game and inside the book it's a message from that character warning you of the things to come. He was both the main villain of the first game and the one you spent the most time with without realizing it until the end (okay, anyone with a clue could have seen the twist the next state over but whatever).

Witcher 2 is good, but it's gonna suffer for you because you're already playing 3 and even though 3's controls has hitches, they're a ton better than 2's. Parrying needs to be unlocked instead of already being part of Geralt's repertoire and the leveling wants you to favor one skill branch over the other two instead of being fairly modular like in 3. There's also this delay in inputs where you're trying to dodge away from an enemy and get right back into swinging at them but you spammed the dodge button and now Geralt is reenacting that Dark Souls 2 MMA gif even though you're mashing attack. If you do give 2 another chance, you'll get more out of the side quests in 3 because one of them is an ironic callback to the last game.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Leal posted:

Every game with weapon degradation is balls. Its a money sink at best and at worst you don't want to ever use your good weapons in fear of them breaking and being lost forever. There was this MMO I used to play where the blacksmiths had a chance to gently caress up repairs and you would permanently lose a durability point on the weapon, and if its on its last point and the blacksmith fucks up its gone forever. Of course there is a cash shop item to prevent this :iamafag:

DDO does this too but their solution is simply bind the item to you which you can do with stuff that drops often and in decent quantities. Named poo poo and everything that's bound to you doesn't have that chance and frankly I don't know why they even bother with the permanent thing and regular degradation since it's trivial to just exchange random poo poo that suffers from it and to keep your stuff repaired.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Leal posted:

Sounds like a dumber version of grinding in PSO2.

So you pay this rear end in a top hat a lot of money and if you're lucky, your item gets better. If you're unlucky it gets worse. If you're really unlucky it gets a lot worse. If god hates you it gets worse multiple times in a row effectively undoing all of your progress. There are cash shop items to reduce the chance of it going bad, but IIRC there's no way to really reach 100% prevention and they're fairly rare items to begin with unless you want to drop cash.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Leal posted:

This is why Dead Island was unplayable to me, degrading weapons + limited inventory meant I spent more time picking up and tossing weapons than I actually did fighting zombies.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Sleeveless posted:

This is why Dead Island was unplayable to me, degrading weapons + limited inventory meant I spent more time picking up and tossing weapons than I actually did fighting zombies.

Pity you didn't know you could fix weapons at workbenches in Dead Island I guess. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Not to mention the fact that repairing poo poo had no basis on what you're using so you could be using a level seven baseball bat and find yourself dropping over 400$ to repair the thing somehow.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Pity you didn't know you could fix weapons at workbenches in Dead Island I guess. :v:

The problem though is that you'd drop like two thousand bucks repairing your mega smasher electric hammer. Then club a zombie to death and find a better hammer.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Nuebot posted:

Sounds like a dumber version of grinding in PSO2.

So you pay this rear end in a top hat a lot of money and if you're lucky, your item gets better. If you're unlucky it gets worse. If you're really unlucky it gets a lot worse. If god hates you it gets worse multiple times in a row effectively undoing all of your progress. There are cash shop items to reduce the chance of it going bad, but IIRC there's no way to really reach 100% prevention and they're fairly rare items to begin with unless you want to drop cash.

The worst culprit to me is Fire Emblem . Weapons literally have limited amount of times they could be used to attack an enemy, and afaik you couldn't replenish them. At least with something like Diablo you could repair that poo poo at the blacksmith.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The thing dragging Dead Island down is that its a great idea for a game that is ruined by a irredemable grind-athon combat system.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

The thing dragging Dead Island down is that its a great idea for a game that is ruined by a irredemable grind-athon combat system.

The single worst thing about dead island 2 is are the big guys who are completely invincible save a tiny spot on the back. They do a ton of damage and are pretty much impossible to solo and even playing multiplayer are ridiculously hard to kill unless you gently caress with their ai and get one guy to hide in a spot they can't reach and just shoot them in the face while someone else hits them in the back. Thanks to these really annoying not fun guys me and my friend just stopped playing when half the quests just devolved into "and now kill one or more of these big assholes."

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nuebot posted:

The single worst thing about dead island 2 is are the big guys who are completely invincible save a tiny spot on the back. They do a ton of damage and are pretty much impossible to solo and even playing multiplayer are ridiculously hard to kill unless you gently caress with their ai and get one guy to hide in a spot they can't reach and just shoot them in the face while someone else hits them in the back. Thanks to these really annoying not fun guys me and my friend just stopped playing when half the quests just devolved into "and now kill one or more of these big assholes."

Do you mean Riptide? Because dead island 2 isnt out yet, last I heard it had switched developers and was probably just going to be quietly forgotten about eventually.

I liked Riptide, it got a bad write up, partially for being so similar to dead island 1, but I didnt play the first one and had a decent time with Riptide. Admittedly I didnt pay for it, it was an Xbox game with gold. I only vaguely remember the big guys you are talking about which suggests to me that there is an easy way to beat them solo because I completed the game, mainly solo with occastional team-ups with pubbies, and I am catagorically mediocre at first person shooters.

I didnt mind the weapon degredation in Dead Island:Riptide because there were plenty of weapons lying around. That didnt make the degredation pointless (unless you were very diligent about repairs you couldnt just keep the same weapon for hours on end) but it did mean you were constantly switching weapons, using stuff you wouldnt have bothered with if your +3 fire sledgehammer was in mint condition. I hate weapon degradation in games where you dont have that option (or where that option boils down to "use your main weapon and never let it break because everything else is poo poo").

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SiKboy posted:

Do you mean Riptide? Because dead island 2 isnt out yet, last I heard it had switched developers and was probably just going to be quietly forgotten about eventually.

I liked Riptide, it got a bad write up, partially for being so similar to dead island 1, but I didnt play the first one and had a decent time with Riptide. Admittedly I didnt pay for it, it was an Xbox game with gold. I only vaguely remember the big guys you are talking about which suggests to me that there is an easy way to beat them solo because I completed the game, mainly solo with occastional team-ups with pubbies, and I am catagorically mediocre at first person shooters.

I didnt mind the weapon degredation in Dead Island:Riptide because there were plenty of weapons lying around. That didnt make the degredation pointless (unless you were very diligent about repairs you couldnt just keep the same weapon for hours on end) but it did mean you were constantly switching weapons, using stuff you wouldnt have bothered with if your +3 fire sledgehammer was in mint condition. I hate weapon degradation in games where you dont have that option (or where that option boils down to "use your main weapon and never let it break because everything else is poo poo").

Yes. My buddy was growing increasingly irritated every time I called it dead island 2 as well. There probably was an easy gimmick to the big guys, but we never figured it out.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

Those guys where super easy just have them run into a wall.

The main issue with DI was how much stronger bladed weapons are compared to everything else, Xian in particular who is the blade expert got really OP as the game went on, she could 2 shot those big guys.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Action Tortoise posted:

It's a good game, especially if you've done the other games with all the callbacks it has. My only beef with the story is that no one ever acknowledges Saskia the Dragonslayer even though most of the cast from Witcher 2 are in the game and talk to one another. I dunno if there's gonna be DLC to close that dangling thread from the second game but I just find it weird that no one has said, " Hey remember that one chick who had played a pivotal role in shifting the political dynamics of the Pontar Valley a while back? Where'd she end up?"

She's a central character in the DLC out yesterday (that's not a spoiler, she was in the advertising.)

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

SiKboy posted:

In a similar vein I don't like the indestructible melee weapons in Left 4 Dead 2. Unless you are playing in Expert, they completely trivialize the common zombies by letting you swing at them continuously without fatigue. They are so powerful that most players ignore getting the chainsaw superweapon since it can run out of fuel.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I just picked up the Metro 2033 and Last Light double pack for the PS4 and while I really like the stealth and survival aspects of the game it seems like every level ends the exact same way with me mindlessly mowing down wave after wave of mutants and blowing all my ammo. I'm only about 4 hours into the first game so maybe it will change.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I just picked up the Metro 2033 and Last Light double pack for the PS4 and while I really like the stealth and survival aspects of the game it seems like every level ends the exact same way with me mindlessly mowing down wave after wave of mutants and blowing all my ammo. I'm only about 4 hours into the first game so maybe it will change.
nah Metro 2033 has some really fun bits and good atmosphere but overall it's a very linear corridor shooter

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The thing dragging Witcher 3 down for me is that the copy I got on the cheap is for GoG, and the GoG client doesn't let me pause or throttle the download. I can't play the game because that would require me to cripple my internet connection for 3 days, and there's other people who need it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Action Tortoise posted:

The game is really good regardless if you've played any previous entries or not. If you play the first game there's a very small quest where you find a book that's a biography of a character from the first game and inside the book it's a message from that character warning you of the things to come. He was both the main villain of the first game and the one you spent the most time with without realizing it until the end (okay, anyone with a clue could have seen the twist the next state over but whatever).

Witcher 2 is good, but it's gonna suffer for you because you're already playing 3 and even though 3's controls has hitches, they're a ton better than 2's. Parrying needs to be unlocked instead of already being part of Geralt's repertoire and the leveling wants you to favor one skill branch over the other two instead of being fairly modular like in 3. There's also this delay in inputs where you're trying to dodge away from an enemy and get right back into swinging at them but you spammed the dodge button and now Geralt is reenacting that Dark Souls 2 MMA gif even though you're mashing attack. If you do give 2 another chance, you'll get more out of the side quests in 3 because one of them is an ironic callback to the last game.

?????
I played 1 up until the point that another witcher who I've never met before but was causing a ruckus fought me and it was literally impossible to win. I upgraded my magic and silver swords and not my basic swords so when I had a boss fight with another human who didn't care if I cast spells and didn't get triple damage from silver weapons I got royally hosed. I never finished it. One of my friends was a traitor? Which?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Krinkle posted:

?????
I played 1 up until the point that another witcher who I've never met before but was causing a ruckus fought me and it was literally impossible to win. I upgraded my magic and silver swords and not my basic swords so when I had a boss fight with another human who didn't care if I cast spells and didn't get triple damage from silver weapons I got royally hosed. I never finished it. One of my friends was a traitor? Which?

That awful kid the game kept trying to make you care about.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
You don't fight another Witcher until the sequel. And yeah that guy'll gently caress you up on your first few fights. The noob trap is to shield up bc all of his attacks will break your shield and he'll follow up with another attack immediately. Use Aard on him to stagger him and follow up with melee. You can keep this up until the end of the fight.

Also I was talking about Alvin from the first game.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I thought, okay I saw the dwarf again in the sequel, I saw triss, what about the elf? There was an elf right? Alright I don't remember really the kid it was like seven years ago.

Okay I remembered it wrong. If you are nice to the ex witcher then he helps you with some kind of fight? That's the fight I could never beat and gave up because it looked like I had got all the titty cards I was going to find.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I thought, okay I saw the dwarf again in the sequel, I saw triss, what about the elf? There was an elf right? Alright I don't remember really the kid it was like seven years ago.

Okay I remembered it wrong. If you are nice to the ex witcher then he helps you with some kind of fight? That's the fight I could never beat and gave up because it looked like I had got all the titty cards I was going to find.

I think the Elf (Iorveth?) from the first game will show up in the 2nd one and maybe in the third? I guess it depends on the path you take in 2 and for me I hung with Roche and never even SAW the dwarf city where the Elves were slumming.

CONTENT: I'm in the middle of Velen and the thing MAINLY dragging Witcher 3 down for me (and I'm sure this has been mentioned before back when everyone in this thread was playing the game) is having to run to those drat sign posts for fast travel. Also, gently caress that sign post at Crow's Perch. I have to travel to it and then barrel through villagers with my horse to get to my drat stash or the armorer guy.

Also, 1000g to reskill. :(

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

nah Metro 2033 has some really fun bits and good atmosphere but overall it's a very linear corridor shooter

Yeah, I usually don't like these types of games but I thought the setting and atmosphere made up for it. The redux versions on PC can also be very pretty at times.

Xoidanor posted:

Totally this. I didn't have a problem with the weapon degradation since I never had to worry about money past the first couple of hours and I could just use something else if a weapon was about to break. I'm a hoarder in most games so I tend to pick up everything I see, though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Be warned that Last Light loves putting you into gauntlet scenarios (locking you into a big room with waves of monsters) which combined with the games ammo-scarcity system can easily put you into a no-win state.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

hatelull posted:

I think the Elf (Iorveth?) from the first game will show up in the 2nd one and maybe in the third? I guess it depends on the path you take in 2 and for me I hung with Roche and never even SAW the dwarf city where the Elves were slumming.

CONTENT: I'm in the middle of Velen and the thing MAINLY dragging Witcher 3 down for me (and I'm sure this has been mentioned before back when everyone in this thread was playing the game) is having to run to those drat sign posts for fast travel. Also, gently caress that sign post at Crow's Perch. I have to travel to it and then barrel through villagers with my horse to get to my drat stash or the armorer guy.

Also, 1000g to reskill. :(

the elf in the first game is different from iorveth and in the second game you can talk about him to iorveth.

if you're having problems levelling your guy in W3, invest some points in Quen and its second ability, Active Shield. A fully levelled active shield can absorb hits and restore health (i think?).

Krinkle posted:

if you help berengar (i totally forgot that there was an ex witcher in the first game) he'll help you fight the salamadra guys who stole your poo poo from the beginning of the game. the last area is really dumb so you didn't miss out on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Yes that Crows Perch fast travel sign is bullshit.

Also gently caress being overburdened. I want money, which you get from selling poo poo, but you can barely carry anything so you constantly have to go to shops to sell stuff, and the shopkeepers don't have a lot of money so you have to go to multiple shops. And how loving slow you walk when you're overburdened (yes I know you can get on the horse). Oh and some shops won't buy some items so you have to sell them at another shop. And I can never find the pawn shop because it's not labeled on the map for some stupid loving reason.

At least Skyrim had houses with unlimited chest storage so I could hoard spoons and plates and food items just in case I needed them...