Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Zaphod42 posted:

I saw an interview with Harmon where he said the President of Cartoon Network (or maybe it was just Adult Swim IDK) was a huge fan and pretty much went into the board room to fight for their rights to do whatever they want every day. He even called him like "the hero of the show" or "the savior of the show" or something like that.

But America also seems to be much more accepting of cartoons marketed to adults now than it did a decade ago.

I could swear Matt Groening once said that he promised the Fox execs "a modern-day Flintstones" just to get them to go along with the Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Golem II posted:

I guess I can unbookmark this thread since people keep talking about inane bullshit.

okay, just for the record? we have 18 months (or mooooore!) to go before any new Rick and Morty, so anyone coming into this thread expecting news in the next year or so is a complete loving idiot on the level of Rick J19ζ7

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

prefect posted:

I could swear Matt Groening once said that he promised the Fox execs "a modern-day Flintstones" just to get them to go along with the Simpsons.

To be fair, and not that i'm saying it's a bad thing but... that's basically what they got.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Excelzior posted:

okay, just for the record? we have 18 months (or mooooore!) to go before any new Rick and Morty, so anyone coming into this thread expecting news in the next year or so is a complete loving idiot on the level of Rick J19ζ7

This thread is poo poo.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Golem II posted:

This thread is poo poo.

and yet you eat it up and keep coming back for more :allears:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Excelzior posted:

and yet you eat it up and keep coming back for more :allears:

They've issued a court order; he can't eat this thread up anymore!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

rydiafan posted:

They've issued a court order; he can't eat this thread up anymore!

I gotta give it to you rydiafan, when you're right you're right. Now I'm hooked.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

In other words: Rick hosed up, he started giving a poo poo and that's why he's in jail now instead of getting drunk and banging alien broads in a parallel universe.

Maybe when he made Ice T care more, he himself began to care more.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
A lot of people seem to think him turning himself in is selfless and noble, and I'm sure that's how Rick sees it.

But I think it has more to do with the negative way he sees life, and was a terrible thing to do to his family. He should have at least said goodbye to his daughter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hey, 1/64th of him cared enough to jump into the nothingness and give 1/64th of Morty his time-collapse necklace even though it meant 100% of him would die.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Nichael posted:

Adult Swim generally has very lax content standards for its productions. I really doubt they run into many objections from the network. There's a 2012 interview with Eric Andre where he said one of the only notes he ever got from the network was that he could show himself making GBS threads so hard that his organs fell out, but could not seem like he was intentionally making GBS threads them out.

Edit: I found it. Apparently Adult Swim doesn't like him mocking Jesus or committing suicide either. Generally though, they don't seem to care.

That makes sense, Jesus was a pretty cool guy. God's a dick, but Jesus was cool.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

captain innocuous posted:

A lot of people seem to think him turning himself in is selfless and noble, and I'm sure that's how Rick sees it.

But I think it has more to do with the negative way he sees life, and was a terrible thing to do to his family. He should have at least said goodbye to his daughter.

His motivations there are definitely complex; a mix of genuine concern for his family, regret, loss, and self-loathing.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Can we start a death pool on that fat alcoholic recently divorced Dan Harmon?

I doubt there will even be a season 3.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I played an unhealthy amount of Dragon Quest today and I dunno, maybe it's just me but...

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:
Ehhh, I don't see it.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
So I'm reading this thread, just reading along here. Really like the show and all. I'm reading about a bunch of speculation and what ifs and such. There is a fictional universe and some people get bored and write out thought exercises about how the universe might work and what may happen next. And then people like me get bored at work and read those thought exercises. So far so good ect. And then people come in and poo poo all over it for reasons I can't understand. A few paragraphs of words isn't a pain to read. You can read a page of the forums in about one minute if you can read at a high school level. Writing a few paragraphs of fan theory isn't a difficult endeavor. It's a way some people kill time for 5 minutes. There is nothing wrong with killing time fir a bit by imagining how a fictional world might work if it was real, yet some kinds of people will go thru threads and poo poo all over it.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

So I'm reading this thread, just reading along here. Really like the show and all. I'm reading about a bunch of speculation and what ifs and such. There is a fictional universe and some people get bored and write out thought exercises about how the universe might work and what may happen next. And then people like me get bored at work and read those thought exercises. So far so good ect. And then people come in and poo poo all over it for reasons I can't understand. A few paragraphs of words isn't a pain to read. You can read a page of the forums in about one minute if you can read at a high school level. Writing a few paragraphs of fan theory isn't a difficult endeavor. It's a way some people kill time for 5 minutes. There is nothing wrong with killing time fir a bit by imagining how a fictional world might work if it was real, yet some kinds of people will go thru threads and poo poo all over it.

This is the most sentences I've read in one post in this thread.

Ya got a good narrative style.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

People get mad when other people refuse to understand things within the show though which in my mind is well deserved. It's the cobb world argument in this thread, it's the argument about what Marty's daughter being a cult target in the original True Detective thread, etc. Goons miss the point and goons jump on them for be unwilling to accept that they're misunderstanding the show. If it was all speculative fanfiction then it might not be so bad, but what it always comes down to on TVIV is people not budging from non-sensical opinions about what is actually in the show.

On the topic of speculative content, we've had episodes with near infinite Mortys, Ricks, and Jerrys, how long until we see infinite Beth's?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Lt. Danger posted:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This is a drat good post.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I don't know why there's an argument about cob world anyways, everyone knows that if you live on a cob world and all the food and water you take in is on the cob on an atomic level eventually your body will be made of atoms that are on the cob and you'll end up on the cob yourself.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ChairMaster posted:

I don't know why there's an argument about cob world anyways, everyone knows that if you live on a cob world and all the food and water you take in is on the cob on an atomic level eventually your body will be made of atoms that are on the cob and you'll end up on the cob yourself.

See, poo poo like this just takes the joke too far and ruins it.

The main reason I don't like most of the long discussions is because a lot of the time it's just that, killing jokes by examining them way too closely.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 15, 2015

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Yeah, cob planet is a hell of a lot funnier if the joke is that they never explain why they can't live there, and everyone just takes it for granted that they can't because cobs.

Not everything has to be :lost:.

Zaphod42 posted:

I saw an interview with Harmon where he said the President of Cartoon Network (or maybe it was just Adult Swim IDK) was a huge fan and pretty much went into the board room to fight for their rights to do whatever they want every day. He even called him like "the hero of the show" or "the savior of the show" or something like that.

But America also seems to be much more accepting of cartoons marketed to adults now than it did a decade ago.

I remember the one thing that made me notice the transition of Adult Swim from pushing TV standards limits to just being accepted as adult-oriented TV.

In an early episode of Sealab 2021, someone asks Sparks where he gets his money, and he says "Selling pot...holders...made of hemp." In a later episode he does a callback and says "Selling pot... That's it, just selling pot." It was the point where I realized they didn't have to be coy about things like that anymore, where back in 2000 when it first came on they really had to be more subtle about it because S&P was tighter.

Aqua Teen highlighted this pretty well with a gag once, featuring George Lowe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnNURx3Y6Q

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, cob planet is a hell of a lot funnier if the joke is that they never explain why they can't live there, and everyone just takes it for granted that they can't because cobs.

Not everything has to be :lost:.

Actually, not explaining why they can't live there is very much like :lost:

and I mean that as a compliment to both the joke and Lost.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Angrymantium posted:

On the topic of speculative content, we've had episodes with near infinite Mortys, Ricks, and Jerrys, how long until we see infinite Beth's?

Probably (hopefully) never. Whenever the show does an infinite version of a character it seems to try and point out how insignificant each individual is if there is actually an infinite number of them, and their own personal history and issues don't matter if there are a billion different possibilities. Beth on the other hand seems to be one of the grounding elements of the show, and treating her like that would take away any of Rick's humanity. I really can't explain this as well as I have it in my mind, but Rick caring for Beth, that one Beth, is the one aspect of the character that keeps him from becoming an unrelatable caricature, and "Infinite Beths", especially if it's treated how other Infinite X plots have been, would be too nihilistic for me to enjoy.

(Yes, I am still coming to terms with Rick abandoning Cronenberg World Beth, but at least she seemed happy)

Re: Cob World: The punchline is the fans trying to break down the joke. However, it can't beat the magnificence of Silicon Valley's first season's finale's Microwave Heater joke in the way it made goons tear at each other's throats about what the actual punchline was.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Cob World reminded me of gimmickey star trek planets. It's not a hackey wild west planet, its a planet on a cob, to the molecular level.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
THIS THREAD IS ON THE COB!

GET OUT! GET OUT HURRY! GET OUT NOW!!!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Rexides posted:

Probably (hopefully) never. Whenever the show does an infinite version of a character it seems to try and point out how insignificant each individual is if there is actually an infinite number of them, and their own personal history and issues don't matter if there are a billion different possibilities. Beth on the other hand seems to be one of the grounding elements of the show, and treating her like that would take away any of Rick's humanity. I really can't explain this as well as I have it in my mind, but Rick caring for Beth, that one Beth, is the one aspect of the character that keeps him from becoming an unrelatable caricature, and "Infinite Beths", especially if it's treated how other Infinite X plots have been, would be too nihilistic for me to enjoy.

(Yes, I am still coming to terms with Rick abandoning Cronenberg World Beth, but at least she seemed happy)

Re: Cob World: The punchline is the fans trying to break down the joke. However, it can't beat the magnificence of Silicon Valley's first season's finale's Microwave Heater joke in the way it made goons tear at each other's throats about what the actual punchline was.

I tend to think that the dimensional switch was Rick putting himself and Morty together with the "Familyest Family." Rick is the Rickest Rick. Morty is the Mortiest Morty. So, they're now together with the Bethest Beth, the Jerriest Jerry and the Summerest Summer.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

johntfs posted:

the Summerest Summer.

thats why she pees her pants so much! It's her defining character trait!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Sockser posted:

thats why she pees her pants so much! It's her defining character trait!

It rains a lot in the Summer.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

VideoTapir posted:

Gazorpazorp was great right up until the sex robot got impregnated. If it had kept it at that level of crazy the whole way through, it would have been the best episode of the series.

Yes, let's just focus on the crazy hijinks of a teenaged kid having furious teen sex with a robotic sex doll.

Some of you motherfuckers got weird taste.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

johntfs posted:

I tend to think that the dimensional switch was Rick putting himself and Morty together with the "Familyest Family." Rick is the Rickest Rick. Morty is the Mortiest Morty. So, they're now together with the Bethest Beth, the Jerriest Jerry and the Summerest Summer.

That seems pretty convenient for no reason, earth was irrevocably damaged and he just by chance he ends up in the "most whatever" reality?

Personally I think Rick is just more evolved with his concept of self. As we saw with the council of Ricks, they all treat Beth great and Jerry like poo poo. Rick just knows that it doesn't matter which Beth it is, she's still "his" daughter. The reason he's a dick to the other Rick's is because he hates himself.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ElCondemn posted:

Personally I think Rick is just more evolved with his concept of self. As we saw with the council of Ricks, they all treat Beth great and Jerry like poo poo. Rick just knows that it doesn't matter which Beth it is, she's still "his" daughter. The reason he's a dick to the other Rick's is because he hates himself.

He's only a dick to other Ricks that he has serious disagreements with. At the end of the Council of Ricks episode, he sees that Jerry is in love with the "dumb" Rick*, and says "I've got like ten Ricks to call." (Not an actual quote; just an approximation.) So Rick has Rick-friends.

* The "dumb" Rick is still able to create food out of a handful of chemicals that Rick has laying around. He's only dumb when compared to other Ricks.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

prefect posted:

He's only a dick to other Ricks that he has serious disagreements with. At the end of the Council of Ricks episode, he sees that Jerry is in love with the "dumb" Rick*, and says "I've got like ten Ricks to call." (Not an actual quote; just an approximation.) So Rick has Rick-friends.

* The "dumb" Rick is still able to create food out of a handful of chemicals that Rick has laying around. He's only dumb when compared to other Ricks.

Sure, you can hate parts of yourself and like parts of yourself, I think Harmon and/or Roiland do things like this to play with the concept of self.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

prefect posted:

I might think twice about eating brownies made by a guy who eats poo poo.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

I might think twice about eating brownies made by a guy who eats poo poo.

Yeah, we're only assured that they're brownies because Jerry and the dumbest Rick in the multiverse say so. I'm not sure that's the hill I want to die on. That brown stuff could be literally anything. Maybe it smells like brownies, but it's so massively poisonous that eating even one bite not only kills you, but all of your immediate relatives, too--even if they're thousands of miles away.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Jerry might be pretty dumb and can't tell when Beth is a 5% CPU utilization simulation but I think he knows what brownies are supposed to taste like.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

then again Jerry immediately took a liking to Human Music

also it's never stated that the Doofus Rick eats nothing but his own poo poo like that one show on interdimensional cable. Maybe he just likes to incorporate it into seemingly innocuous desserts

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's never even stated that he actually does eat his own poo poo. It could be just an insult from the other Ricks.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

AVClub: Inserting Rick And Morty’s screaming sun into stuff is a thing now, apparently

Has some good ones that haven't been posted in the thread yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

It's never even stated that he actually does eat his own poo poo. It could be just an insult from the other Ricks.

That's true. He could be eating other people's poo poo.

• Locked thread