Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'm having the hardest time understanding armor dynamics in this game. it feels very different from WoT so I'm not sure where is okay to hit and where isn't. cupolas and poo poo I'm used to aiming for don't seem to be viable targets. what am I doing wrong?

Yeah gonna second this, my knowledge of different tanks and what will pen what is very bad compared to wot. Also this game could really use some sort of server reticle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

I'm having the hardest time understanding armor dynamics in this game. it feels very different from WoT so I'm not sure where is okay to hit and where isn't. cupolas and poo poo I'm used to aiming for don't seem to be viable targets. what am I doing wrong?

Most MBTs have a lower plate weak point, and hatches/vision slits are weak but usually take reduced damage from AP/HEAT. General consensus seems to be that you aren't going to kill MBTs quickly from the front if they hide their LFP well. Slinging HE at hatches and roofs works decently though. Armor is (generally) actually pretty effective in AW compared to WoT.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Other safe bets should be the sides, the turret ring and the spot where the gun meets the turret. Cupolas, hatches and, in later vehicles, unmanned turrets take less damage from hits. HEAT is usually enough to punch through the hull even when angled, but try not to hit the tracks with it: The round will detonate early and not penetrate. HE rounds deal less damage the more armor they hit, but they always deal at least a tiny bit. In later tiers, you'll start facing composite armor, which has different penetration multipliers for the different ammo types.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 13, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

HE mechanics also seem weird you can shoot the same spot and deal 70 damage or 200 damage, not sure what is happening with that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I know that the tank destroyer damage bonus for aiming all the way in applies to HE as well – it's pretty fun to load HE and just splat it at the first exposed part for an easy couple hundred damage. Alternatively, maybe the random number god decided you broke a component and awarded bonus damage?

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

All I can say is that it's real nice to be playing tanks that can actually use armor in this game.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

BadLlama posted:

HE mechanics also seem weird you can shoot the same spot and deal 70 damage or 200 damage, not sure what is happening with that.

Probably the cone of fire putting your shot at a different angle or into a different plate. Really hate this mechanic

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I made a quick and dirty ms paint guide for penetrating the front of MBTs.

Didn't bother for the sides, because that is pretty straightforward.

http://imgur.com/a/plyKL

Edit: I forgot the Object 430. Just shoot the lower plate.

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 13, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So I just found out - by accident mind you - that you can grief friendlies by giving them a team kill if you kill yourself ramming into them.

Incidentally, boy that XM800T sure is pretty hard to steer at full speed. :v:

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001
Grief how? From what I've seen the penalty is minimal..

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Valle posted:

Grief how? From what I've seen the penalty is minimal..

On hard PVE the penalty is enough to cause you to lose money.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I shot a teammate 3 times, didn't turn blue or get auto banned or anything, its awesome.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Wow, preventing caps gives crazy xp and credit rewards. I just had a match in the M109 with 85 base defense points and slightly more than 1500 damage and the reward for reseting was almost double that for damage done. :eyepop:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Magni posted:

Wow, preventing caps gives crazy xp and credit rewards. I just had a match in the M109 with 85 base defense points and slightly more than 1500 damage and the reward for reseting was almost double that for damage done. :eyepop:

Don't you love being able to see exactly what gives how much xp? Instead of the obfuscated version in World of Tanks.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Swingfire can shoot over cover and hills really easily. This gets people very mad.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Holy moley, the difference the HD upgrade does. I just fell in love with all the tanks. :stare:

Just wish the game would not revert that one graphics setting every time I look away. Yes, I would actually prefer opaque foliage in third person, thank you very much. Otherwise I can't bloody see if I'm in there or not!

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
can someone tell me what this HD upgrade is?

CatAteSeven
May 28, 2013
has the battalion pop limit been increased?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Yes on pop upgrade.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Agrajag posted:

Yes do please.

Also, With the Starship should I just be spamming HE or HEAT?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
For some reason I am no longer in CHAI. Can Sard on NA get an invite?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Should us GOONS guys ditch then and join CHAI? Having one clan seems the most logical.

Snakes in a can
May 14, 2014

Colon Semicolon posted:

Armor in this game has a few things behind it, unlike WoT where everything is X mm thick AW takes into account armor quality/composites and how it was put together.

If you look at the M1 you can see the armor is mostly flat as an ironing board.

Then Why does my 500 pen HEAT shell not go through the flat LFP of a M1?

If you look at the armor stats you can see there are multipliers based on what shell you use against it. HEAT is a shaped charge so it fall into the 2.70 multiplier area so multiply the LFP armor (assumed 260) by 2.70 and you get 702 effective

ERA offers some crazy multipliers against shaped charges and some minor protection against sabots rounds.

15mm of ERA with 10x multiplier is an extra 150mm effective ontop of whatever area you hit with HEAT, an extra 30 mm if you use a sabot round.

I could be totally wrong about the mechanics though.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Siivola posted:

Holy moley, the difference the HD upgrade does. I just fell in love with all the tanks. :stare:

Just wish the game would not revert that one graphics setting every time I look away. Yes, I would actually prefer opaque foliage in third person, thank you very much. Otherwise I can't bloody see if I'm in there or not!

I think this guy thinks this is the world of tanks thread?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Agrajag posted:

You can select HD graphics in your launcher. It downloads another 9 GB and makes the game way less ugly.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

You can select HD graphics in your launcher. It downloads another 9 GB and makes the game way less ugly.

Uhhh, no you can't. That's world of tanks.

Unless I'm missing something there's certainly no such option in my launcher.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

uhhh what?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

I too would like to join CHAI.

My handle is Kampkraft on NA.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's bizarre, it was there yesterday when I installed the game. I downloaded the SD version, played for a bit, then let the HD version download overnight. Now the option to select is gone.

e: It would make a lot of sense if the option to select SD or HD disappears if HD is installed, so maybe that's what's going on with you guys.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 14, 2015

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Does the HD seem like it's better optimized? My computer isn't a pushover but tends to chug a bit at times.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, this game has an HD option too stop being dumbasses.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pendent posted:

Does the HD seem like it's better optimized? My computer isn't a pushover but tends to chug a bit at times.

HD and SD ran about the same for me. HD seems to be simply bigger textures and more complex models, not any extra lighting effects or whatever. The biggest performance gains in either mode come from turning down volumetrics, shadows, and water.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
stop loving lying you turds there is no HD client

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
The HD client still looks kinda garbage compared to WoT.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I thought about downloading the 10GB client, but then I went for the 19GB HD one and the game looks pretty good. No regrets.

Took for loving ever to torrent that poo poo though.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
When I installed on my main rig it only offered me the 19GB hd install. That was before obt though. A few days later I installed on my laptop and it offered the sd 10 or hd 19 installs.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

There's a less-than-19GB install? Holy poo poo, I never knew. The launcher only let me download what I guess was the HD client.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Also there is an option to remove the game install files, which is 20 gigs. Make sure to hit that too.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

YellerBill posted:

There's a less-than-19GB install? Holy poo poo, I never knew. The launcher only let me download what I guess was the HD client.

Same... I dl'd it before it went into open beta, maybe that had something to do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

I downloaded this on Friday and had the choice of ~10gb SD and a considerably larger HD.

someone said earlier that deleting the install files makes it redownload the whole loving thing when there's a patch and I don't know if they've fixed that since open beta.

• Locked thread