Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Little silly that the slime weapons are outclassed by something you can buy literally at the first shop.

I didn't get to use them but don't they let you insta-kill metal slimes or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I didn't get to use them but don't they let you insta-kill metal slimes or something?

If they do, it's a hidden effect. They just give +10% to "helping hand from Healix"

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm kind of surprised that several of the characters' finishing moves go through a lot of the same poses that they do in that weird arcade card game.

https://youtu.be/iF4CG8yvies?t=172 Check out Alena's, and then Kiryl's right after her.

https://youtu.be/-UgvMKW2Joo?t=220 Terry's, although drawn out more because of the running.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This game seems...really awesome. Any other opinions after the initial hour or two?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm about 5 hours in and it's still really awesome.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cyberventurer posted:

I'm kind of surprised that several of the characters' finishing moves go through a lot of the same poses that they do in that weird arcade card game.

https://youtu.be/iF4CG8yvies?t=172 Check out Alena's, and then Kiryl's right after her.

https://youtu.be/-UgvMKW2Joo?t=220 Terry's, although drawn out more because of the running.

These look awesome, I'm sold. I love the DBZ vibe that Alena's gets and I basically know I'm using her in every party as soon as I get her. Alena, Yangus, Jessica, Healix, op right here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alena is absurdly fun to play. She doesn't get any elemental or status gimmicks, she just splits into three and then launches so many punches that you can't even see the enemy beneath the swarm of damage numbers that pop up.

My final team members ended up being Jessica (powerful mage, full-party heal), Bianca (absurdly op) and Alena(punches everywhere.)

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I've only beaten DQ8 and 4 and played about half of 5, so all my nostalgia is kind of limited to those sets of characters.

Oh and I got about 2/3s through DQ7...I think. The last boss I remember not being able to beat was some weird genie.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I've only beaten DQ8 and 4 and played about half of 5, so all my nostalgia is kind of limited to those sets of characters.

Oh and I got about 2/3s through DQ7...I think. The last boss I remember not being able to beat was some weird genie.

Good news, you've played the games with most of the cast then.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm not sure if its a case of the english dub being more concise or what but so far I've been kind of annoyed at the long pause between characters talking in combat. Especially when it's to explain something so you can't do anything until it's done. Like seriously theres sometimes a 2 second pause between one guy talking and the other one continuing.

edit: actually 2 seconds was too generous, it's like 3-5.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 13, 2015

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Is it just me or is Isla exceptionally bad?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Is it just me or is Isla exceptionally bad?

Get the upgrade that makes it easier to Twomerang if you're having trouble with it and she becomes pretty good for wave-clearing. I think she gets eclipsed by Bianca in every way though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DQH rules and the only bad things I can say about it are that you can't turn off the controller sound in the game without doing it via the system settings (all dialogue is echoed if you don't) and that the tutorial sections of the game teach braindead concepts in a really slow way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

DQH rules and the only bad things I can say about it are that you can't turn off the controller sound in the game without doing it via the system settings (all dialogue is echoed if you don't) and that the tutorial sections of the game teach braindead concepts in a really slow way.

I imagine it kinda has to because the target audience is DQ fans who may not have played an action-RPG before.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll gladly trade any future Kingdom Hearts games for more Dragon Quest titles.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Detective No. 27 posted:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Detective No. 27 posted:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Would also accept erasing past ones from history to get more of these.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dragon Quest Heroes is a lot of fun

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I figure 11 is the true test. If we don't get the next mainline title western dragon quest is hosed.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Srice posted:

Good news, you've played the games with most of the cast then.

No Gabo No Buy

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

We've gotten all of the mainline titles except the MMO in some form so I would be real surprised if we didn't get 11.

I think at the very least we can count on the PS4 version.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
gently caress that, I want the old man. What's his name, Melvin? He's a literal geriatric swordsman and I find that incredibly hilarious. I want to see him decimate a whole army.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Harlock posted:

No Gabo No Buy

Gotta save people for sequels, especially if they're doing new things instead of just adding onto past games.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Fingers crossed for Torneko in DQHeroes 2. He seems like he'd be a shoe-in for the first game, since the guys had plenty of spin-offs.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wanna fight Kon in PS4 graphics so bad.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

alena is so loving badass

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Geop posted:

Was waiting on a really cool "I WANNA PLAY THAT" game before getting an inevitable PS4; this was The One :staredog: Already got the PS4, but the week is largely occupied by work. I'll be grabbing it on the weekend though!

Also I was under the impression that Dragon Quest games did well in the west and that #7 not coming here on 3DS was just some ginormous mystery (similar to how FF Type 0 was passed over when it was just on PSP). Guess I'm wrong :(

I'm sure I'll eventually get a PS4 I just hope when I do I can still get games like this and Disgaea 5 at a sane price.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

alena is so loving badass

Popping tension and then using the permadoubler and infinite multi fists is godlike.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
God drat the Marquis du Leon fight in this is cool. I hope I get to fight the behemoose at some point too.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm sure I'll eventually get a PS4 I just hope when I do I can still get games like this and Disgaea 5 at a sane price.

I'm seriously considering getting the game now and the system later.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Jesus loving christ Heroes owns so much.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Game rules, when the hell do I get Maya? like 4 hours ago I said to myself I'd go do some things when I unlocked all the characters around when you get introduced to Nera and Bianca.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Jesus loving christ Heroes owns so much.
Amen to that. Haven't played a Dynasty Warriors-ish game since the PS2 because they all seemed like copy-pastes past a point. This is really fun, though! :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I've played a little bit of most DQ game (note, very little) and only really completed 7-9, will I still enjoy Heroes?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I've played a little bit of most DQ game (note, very little) and only really completed 7-9, will I still enjoy Heroes?

I think so. My friend picked it up and has never played a single DQ game and he loves it.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The plot is self contained, and at worst the presence of the cameo characters are just fan service. All you really need to know about the characters are spelled out, like Alena being a princess and a muscle wizard (muscle witch?)

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Unlucky7 posted:

All you really need to know about the characters are spelled out, like Alena being a princess and a muscle wizard (muscle witch?)

No really this is the extent of her character. These people come from the golden days before RPGs were expected to have actual character development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hokuto posted:

No really this is the extent of her character. These people come from the golden days before RPGs were expected to have actual character development.

Yea like, Alena's great writing is basically in just the absurd poo poo she says while being a princess muscle witch. There's no deeper dramatic backstory. She gets introduced as The Tomboy Tsaritsa and then her popup screen is The Master of Combos and that's about it.

DQ doesn't do deep elaborate backstories, she's a not-Russian princess who likes to punch people in their face, her bodyguard/friend is exasperated trying to keep her from jumping into a dragon's mouth, together they make a cute duo who do badass things. The end.