Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Spun a rod bearing having too much fun on switchbacks :v:

Good things engines are like :10bux: for these things...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Screw it. Painting wheels.

Effex is subtler than I thought. Ran out of playing cards, don't want to really reuse these. I'll do the other two tomorrow.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 11, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FInally got around to swapping some panels and a headlight for my friend that we picked up a year ago.

Didn't realize how different the bumpers and grills were from 2000 to 2002 so we're gonna hit up the JY and find a new grill this week.

And after this I ran over and did an oil change for another friend and tried to de-haze her headlights but they're pretty bad. Gonna buy the power tool kit and give it another go.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

changed the rear end fluid on the John Deere. This poo poo smelled awful, but now its got fresh in it. Deere specified 90w to begin with, but I think that is pretty much non existent, so I had to use 80w-90. I figured its close enough and hopefully shift a little easier.

I know its not automotive related, but god drat, working on small engines is almost zen like.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I know its not automotive related, but god drat, working on small engines is almost zen like.

I think there's a book about that.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Rhyno posted:

I think there's a book about that.

Its quite nice. Every thing is much easier to work on, way less complicated crap. Getting back to basics.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Screw it. Painting wheels.

Effex is subtler than I thought. Ran out of playing cards, don't want to really reuse these. I'll do the other two tomorrow.

Dude, now you have bitchin' wheels and a bitchin' set of playing cards, shiny and chrome.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I replaced the globes in my housemates fiesta because she's a woman and I have a toolkit and she saw me use it to tighten the handle on a fry pan.

Apparently not treating cookware like poo poo makes me some kind of super genius?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yesterday I replaced the valve cover gaskets on the fiancee's Subaru Outback. Wasn't difficult but it was quite annoying having to loosen the engine mounts to get the fuckers out. :v: In the process of doing this I must have disturbed the power steering O ring as I promptly heard the pump whine like crazy the and the reservoir was overflowed. Hardware stores were closed yesterday to pick up a new one, so I'm going to do that today and hope that's all it was, but the internet has made me confident. After this, I put a new head unit in my truck so now it has bluetooth. I still have to figure out what to do with the auxiliary tape deck in the console. Probably need to fab up an ABS block off plate for it, maybe run the aux and USB cables to it or something.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Started changing power steering reservoir on my e46 m3. Fluid should be red ATF. Was black, thick, and full of glitter. Ordered a power steering pump :shepspends:

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I've fitted a new back box to my gay clio. First thing I've done on this thing in like a year.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Laserface posted:

I replaced the globes in my housemates fiesta because she's a woman and I have a toolkit and she saw me use it to tighten the handle on a fry pan.

Apparently not treating cookware like poo poo makes me some kind of super genius?

What is it with frying pans and lovely little phillips screws that back out? You'd think those motherfuckers had never heard of loctite.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What is it with frying pans and lovely little phillips screws that back out? You'd think those motherfuckers had never heard of loctite.

Last time mine got backed out, I did a few tack welds on it. Problem solved.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Using cheap cookware is a punishment, get a better set, they aren't that expensive.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throw out your teflon bullshit cookware and buy either cast iron or black iron pans, as well as enameled cast iron for acidic foods. Cookware that will literally last a lifetime and more.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Discovered the water pump I replaced about 5-6 years ago is starting to weep just like the last one, which I guess is good since I planned on changing the hoses and thermostat soon anyway. :arghfist::shepspends:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Got the other two wheels done. Timed it just right as on my last pass on the last wheel the clear coat kicked and burped a chunk of liquid paint into the rim where nobody will see it.

Rolling it around while it dried seems to have fixed it.

Pics maybe later this week once the wheels are rejoined by the centre caps.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

EightBit posted:

Using cheap cookware is a punishment, get a better set, they aren't that expensive.

I

KozmoNaut posted:

Throw out your teflon bullshit cookware and buy either cast iron or black iron pans, as well as enameled cast iron for acidic foods. Cookware that will literally last a lifetime and more.

dont want stuff that will last a lifetime because my idiot housemates will either steal them or ruin them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Winterized the Miata. It felt like burying a beloved pet.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

KozmoNaut posted:

This is some stainless clad copper poo poo. I don't know. I just hit it with some stainless sticks off the arc welder.

It was stuff from her grandmother's. Its not like we are attached, but its been serving us well. Plus new good cookware is so drat expensive these days.

Also content.

Factory wiring on my friends trailer. No wonder half the lights didn't work correctly. Every thing was crimped and heat shrunk.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

BrokenKnucklez posted:

This is some stainless clad copper poo poo. I don't know. I just hit it with some stainless sticks off the arc welder.

It was stuff from her grandmother's. Its not like we are attached, but its been serving us well. Plus new good cookware is so drat expensive these days.

Also content.

Factory wiring on my friends trailer. No wonder half the lights didn't work correctly. Every thing was crimped and heat shrunk.

I got a halfway decent set for $100 at target, stainless steel, heavy, handles riveted on solidly. You don't have to spend :homebrew: levels of money.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Fuckheap Forester: new front pads/rotors and replaced a tail light bulb that had burned out. I forgot what it was like to drive a car without severe brake shimmy. My commute (80mph freeways straight into bumper to bumper freeways) is super bad for brake rotors, apparently, because they were warped or material transfer hosed to hell in only a year.

Roadmaster: fixed horn (needed new buttons installed in the steering wheel* and a new turn signal cancel rotor**), fixed turn signals (needed new 59 cent flasher module.) The horn repairs were a cast iron bitch because of the stupid bitch-clip holding the clockspring down as well as the stupid oval office-clip holding the column antitheft lock plate down. God I hate old GM steering columns.

* lol GM quality, etc. The buttons are literally TIED TOGETHER WITH MONOFILAMENT FISHING LINE from the factory. Fishing line breaks? Button gets floppy as gently caress.
** lol GM quality, etc. The horn wiring goes through a slipring built into the turn signal cancel rotor. The connector for it is a bayonet style spring loaded contraption for no good reason and hooks in behind a miniscule tab of plastic on said turn signal cancel rotor. Said turn signal cancel rotor is now the consistency of finely aged Parmesan and the slightest touch is enough to break the tab off, rendering the connection intermittent at best. 5 dollar part (Dorman makes a decent replacement) but it's an absolute bitch to dig far enough down the steering column to get at it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Looks like a Pace.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

What I am about to do;

13 year old expansion tank is showing its age by slowly tearing apart.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

My good ole 99 Subaru Forester got new pads, rotors, an oil change, and (soon) new front differential fluid. Didn't really plan on that last one, but in a fit of rampant stupidity I neglected to take off the splash shield and see the oil pan really is all the way up front. This is probably oil change number two for me on the old girl, and well I wasn't quite all there. On the plus side, my girlfriend task of finishing of the growlers of beer from the party this last weekend is going quite well.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Oil and filter! Woo!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Terrible Robot posted:

Spun a rod bearing having too much fun on switchbacks :v:

Good things engines are like :10bux: for these things...

Drove it to work (35 miles over a mountain), will continue driving to work in it.

Hooray for Subarus :clint:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Finished replacing the VVT unit in my V70R. The old one was rattling on hot starts and was full of varnish, so it probably wasn't working as well as it could. New one on top:

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Winterization/Water pump and alternator replacement; Phase one: Disassembly and cleaning. DONE.

Not pictured was the cleaning of about 10+ years of greasy grime buildup all over the front of the engine. I still have some thread chasing and other prep work to finish up tomorrow before it all goes back together with shiny new stuff. More to come...

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
I need to do that this weekend. Some bearing on one of the the serpentine belt pulleys has packed it in.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

A couple of days ago while driving in between hospitals for work the Protegé started running rough and throwing a CEL so I took it home and read the code - P0303, #3 cylinder misfire. I replaced the coils and plugs the same day and that gave me no change, so today I replaced the two remaining plug wires (it's got direct ignition on cylinders 2 and 4 and a slave system for 1 and 3) and it fixed the issue. All in all I am still glad I replaced the coils since at 121k miles they were on borrowed time, and for under $100 in parts and 20 minutes total labor I'm not breaking the bank.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Half way through ps pump on the m3. Would be an easy job if it weren't for getting the wrong loving size hose clamps.

Also the old pump felt like dog poo poo. Think I'm going to take it apart for the fun of it before I send back for core.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Truck got ball joints today. Since I don't snapchat anymore, here's a thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ps6yUBFcsnY
.290" vertical play, .120" horizontal.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 15, 2015

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Finished up the water pump and alternator swap, which also included new belts, hoses, idler pulleys, and a 160° thermostat in place of the factory 190° piece.

These were the best shots I could get of the work I had to do as the rest is pretty hard to see the more I put it back together, but you get the idea.
I filled it up and had it running for a while and only one minor leak has shown up and it's a relatively easy fix. All that's left now is to reprogram the ecu fan switch to accommodate the new thermostat.

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Oct 15, 2015

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Why the drastically different thermostat?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was wondering the same. Wouldn't that keep it in open loop all the time? Even if it was tuned to think 160 is fully warmed up, that's gotta do a number on both wear (since the oil won't get as warm) and emissions.

kastein posted:

Fuckheap Forester: new front pads/rotors and replaced a tail light bulb that had burned out. I forgot what it was like to drive a car without severe brake shimmy. My commute (80mph freeways straight into bumper to bumper freeways) is super bad for brake rotors, apparently, because they were warped or material transfer hosed to hell in only a year.

My rotors are getting to be in similar shape.

They're only a year old. :sigh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Fortunately that poo poo is cheap as hell. For instance aside from my cockup buying rear pads instead of front, that whole adventure would have cost me $37.46 + shipping for new front brakes.

I can live with spending 20 minutes swapping out 40 bucks worth of parts once a year.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Finally after a few months I've got my 90 back on the road, with an mot, tax and insurance.

Mot found a leak and a bit of play from the nearside swivel so if my parts arrive it's fitting those this weekend. I've also bought the x-defend pedal lock and some other security bits to try to deter oiks.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Not exactly today, but I did this on Friday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9Id824oHqA

It's running on 11 year old gas, and I just needed it to drive itself onto a transporter as I sold it to a guy in Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Changed oil and filter in beater Vibe. Also did the air filter which was kind of dirty. Then I did the cabin air filter which was black and packed with leaves and dirt and acorns and I'm kind of grossed out I was breathing whatever air made it's way through that thing.

Also realized in changing the oil that the oil pressure dummy light doesn't work, so I'll replace the switch soon. $6 on eBay.